Start by marking “Betsey Brown: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Betsey Brown: A Novel

Betsey Brown: A Novel

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  355 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Praised as "exuberantly engaging" by the Los Angeles Times and a "beautiful, beautiful piece of writing" by the Houston Post, acclaimed artist Ntozake Shange brings to life the story of a young girl's awakening amidsther country's seismic growing pains. Set in St. Louis in 1957, the year of the Little Rock Nine, Shange’s story reveals the prismatic effect of racism on an A ...more
Published September 28th 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Betsey Brown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betsey Brown

Beverly
My thoughts:
• This is a another book that I wondered why it has taken me so long to read as it has been sitting on my shelf unread for so so long – maybe it is because I knew my granddaughter would love this book and was waiting on until she became of age to highly recommend to her.
• Though I am not a big fan of coming-of-age stories or YA stories – I was immediately engaged from the first chapter and became invested in the characters so much that I quickly read this book over two nights.
• Shang
Pam
I enjoyed this book mostly due to the historical parts. I wasn't that crazy about the way the author writes in that poetic way where complete sentences aren't always written and full information is not always disclosed and the way it just moves to another person or subject without any real direction.
What I did like is that I grew up in St. Louis, although I am white and lived in the suburbs, it was the same time period and I am quite familiar with many of the places she mentions since my parents
Kerry
To say that this is a book about integration would be an under-sell: “Betsey Brown” presents a personal look at the life of a young Black girl in St Louis, covering everything from her loves and friendships to her isolation and anxieties.

I’ve always loved Ntozake Shange’s voice. Her prose borders on poetry. To fully appreciate this book, it needs to be read aloud. Every word is chosen in such a way that, not only does the meaning convey exactly what Shange aims for, but its sounds and rhythm co
Mum
Before I review this book - I feel the need to explain how I have to select books to read.

In a perfect world, or at least in a town with a pretty decent library, I would simply look up the book that my friends had suggested on the electronic card catalog and pull it off the shelf...happy reading.

In the not so perfect world of the military library and the SMALL town library it isn't so easy. The e-card catalog NEVER works (not even for the librarian) and the selection of books is at best "slim pi
Niki
4.5 stars--This book came up as I was searching for novels dealing with race post-WWII. I had never heard of Ntozake Shange before; the description of her work as playwright and poet intrigued me. I was not at all disappointed. She writes with rich language, not only describing how the characters look/move about or what they feel but subtly layering in their histories (passions/insecurities/triumphs/contributions/awareness of self and community). This novel is set in the South in the aftermath o ...more
Laquita Logan
I would love to say I thoroughly enjoyed the story but...As someone who grew up in a typical Black family with an atypical father and a typical mother I found this story to be just a bit too fanciful for my taste. And then, nothing happened.
Jaime
Betsey Brown is an engrossing tale of a girl's coming of age in St Louis during a time of interracial strife. shange has done a wonderful job of fleshing out her characters as they interacts with various layers of the city (the upper middle-class world of the Brown family, the lower-class world of the "colored" neighborhood, and the white world). Betsey's struggles to find her place within these various communities is enthralling and well worth the time reading. Most impressive to me was shange' ...more
J
(FROM JACKET)With ashotonishing lyrical beauty and dramatic intensity, Ntozake Shange tells the story of thirteen-year-old Betsey Brown, a "colored girl" poised between the enchanted world of childhood and the passionate promises, romantic and political, of the adult world. Set in St. Louis in 1957, the year that school integration disrupted America, Shange's story reveals the effect of racism and integration on a child and on a family.

Seamlessly woven into the masterful portrait of an extended
Susan  Odetta
During a recent phone call I commented to my sister that I had heard that Tyler Perry was making a movie of "For Colored Girls". She immediately raided the local used book stores and sent me several books by Ntozake Shange, a favorite author of mine 35 years ago. Among them was this coming-of-age book about a 13 year-old girl growing up in the shelter of the "good" part of St. Louis' African-American neighborhood in 1959, and the effects of the times on her life. It is a small treasure that I mi ...more
Chivon
I wanted to read this book because I have just discovered Ntozake Shange's writing. I just finished Sassafrass, cypress, and Indigo. I liked this book better than that one. It was an interesting mix of a childhood tale as well as a history lesson of how black people lived and felt in the sixties. It also brought some memories back to me about my own family and how there are some light skin black people who do not like dark skin black people and how the one race can be divided by skin color and c ...more
Katie M.
I have a bad habit of only reading less-acclaimed works by famous authors, for no particular reason except maybe to be contrary, which never actually works since the only thing that happens is I end up missing out on a lot of fantastic books. This certainly isn't a bad read - it's just fine, and the writing is lovely. But I should probably go read Sassafrass, Cypress and Indigo or for colored girls now.
Darnae'
I've been reading a lot of african american lit lately and i'd have to say on my scale of horrible, just alright, I liked it, to I loved it I'd have to say it was just alright.

I fell in love with Betsey Brown as if she were my own sister but I felt since the story was about her it could have been expounded though it seemed liked her family members overshadowed the main characters story.

3/5
Holli
Bestey Brown is an 11-year-old black girl growing up in St. Louis during the first integration of black and white children in public schools. Her father is a doctor and a strong supporter of equal rights, her mother not as bold. Through a series of housekeepers/babysitters, her friends, her boyfriend, and her siblings, Betsey learns about growing up and being an individual.
Betsey Brown is a sort of coming of age story about a black girl in St. Louis in the 50's. It's told mostly from Betsey's point of view, but sometimes shifts to the perspective of Betsey's mother, grandmother, and several other women in her life. The book explores themes of women's sexuality, racism, and class differences among black people. It was hard to put down.
Joan
Shange wrote "For Colored Girls who've considered suicide when the rainbow is enuf" 20+ years ago. This is an intimate look at a black 13-year-old, daughter of a doctor and social worker in St. Louis in the 60s as the city began school desegregation. Quick, rich read.
Lschneier
This is a narrative about a thirteen year old girl living during the integration movement in 1957. I can not understand why her mother takes off from her family and her husband. The author does not tell the reader where she goes and I wish she had.
Rebecca
I think I just don't appreciate this kind of writing. I like learning about the people and the situation; I just don't like the floaty, poetry-like quality of the prose. I prefer Junot Diaz, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.
aya
usually ntozake shange moooooves me. shakes me. this one was a little over the head at times and there wasn't as much of the beauty and color that i love so much, but still moments. she is ntozake shange. she can't ACTUALLY do wrong.
Andrea
Interesting book about an African American girl growing up in St. Louis during the time of school desegregation. The main character tries to navigate all that is going on around her and growing up at the same time.
Kecia
Love, loved it! Living in St. Louis it was fun to read about all the St. Louis landmarks and events. Sadly, St. Louis is still segregated city. It's not too different from Betsey's world 50 years ago.
Russell
Even though it is fiction, the book should be taught in History. Ask any kid (lets say ages 15 through 30) today about the 50 and 60's and race relations.
Need I say more.
Adrianne
coming of age story of a black girl in St. Louis in the 50s. really good portrayal of a black family with color, class, gender, and political differences.
Marlena
I need to reread this book. I read it while in middle school...I have a feeling that a lot of things in the novel "went over my head."
Dawn
This book was a little slow for me and didn't have much of a plot but he characters were well written.
Rita
Dec 20, 2011 Rita marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Had not realized that Shange has written several novels [since her famous play]. I will want to read them.
Lizziepeps
Although I loved Some Sing, Song Cry waaaay better-this was still a good novel.
Porsche
Good read. Because of the ending, wish there was a sequel.
Tiffany Mitchell
This was a coming of age book. I read it twice!
Ryan Mishap
Slice of black family life set in Chicago of last century.
Shauna
still not positive about it...ill keep ya updated...lol
African-American ...: Betsey Brown: Book Blast 4 8 May 26, 2014 06:45AM
This book is filed incorrectly 1 4 Jan 05, 2012 08:58AM
  • Baby of the Family
  • Black Girl in Paris
  • Homemade Love
  • Our Black Year: One Family's Quest to Buy Black in America's Racially Divided Economy
  • The Black Notebooks: An Interior Journey
  • The Black Woman: An Anthology
  • Daughter
  • Corregidora
  • Praisesong for the Widow
  • Longing to Tell: Black Women Talk About Sexuality and Intimacy
  • But Some Of Us Are Brave: All the Women Are White, All the Blacks Are Men: Black Women's Studies
  • Maud Martha
  • In Love & Trouble: Stories of Black Women
  • The Salt Roads
  • Proud Shoes
  • Those Bones Are Not My Child
  • A Taste of Honey: Stories
  • Singing in the Comeback Choir
Ntozake Shange (pronounced En-toe-ZAHK-kay SHONG-gay) is an African-American playwright, performance artist, and writer who is best known for her Obie Award winning play for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf.

Among her honors and awards are fellowships from the Guggenheim Foundation and the Lila Wallace-Reader's Digest Fund, and a Pushcart Prize.
More about Ntozake Shange...
for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf Sassafrass, Cypress and Indigo Ellington Was Not a Street Some Sing, Some Cry Coretta Scott