Start by marking “Saved: Rescued Animals and the Lives They Transform” as Want to Read:
Saved: Rescued Animals and the Lives They Transform
Preview

Saved: Rescued Animals and the Lives They Transform

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Lauded as an extraordinarily poignant book” by Jim Harrison and called an homage to the profound power of mutual healing” and a definitive and compassionate book” by Susan Richards (author of Chosen by a Horse), Saved is a beautifully illustrated tribute to rescued animals who have deeply affected the people who saved them. From Phil, an ailing and unemployed foster dad to ...more
Published May 14th 2014 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published October 27th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Saved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saved

Leigh-ann
This is a really incredible and touching book about animals, the people who've rescued them, and vice versa. The photos are gorgeous, too. It's not always pleasant to read, and there are some stories of abuse (both human and animal) which will threaten to stay in your head forever, but they are always balanced by happy ending. I unfortunately couldn't bring myself to give the book five stars because it seemed oddly biased in a number of ways. A disproportionate number of rescuers live in Oregon ...more
Gina
Wonderful! Not just another book about people who love animals--this one is thoughtful, poignant, from an author who clearly champions animals and believes in the love they can offer if only given a chance.

Learn about the pair of Great Pyrenees whose beating and abandonment resulted in each losing a leg. Now they live in an adult foster home/hospice where they offer residents love and companionship and check on each resident before retiring for the night, and who quietly sit nearby during the l
Sabrina
I really wanted to like this book; and a couple of the stories in it actually were touching. However, I was expecting stories of selfless acts and touching rescues. What I got instead was stories about people "rescuing" animals for their own human-centered purposes (like rescuing horses to then put them in service as riding animals), or breeders "rescuing" animals (kind of hypocritical since you're part of the problem in the first place). It just didn't do it for me.
Brianna
I didn't finish this, but only because it was due back at the library. And it's the kind of book you need to be in the right mood to read. (Meaning, it made me bawl like a pageant winner, and I can't do that just anywhere)

This is the kind of book I wish everyone would read.
Mal
Yes, another animal book! But I love the genre, what can I say. But this is a good one, has inspiring stories and photos about people and their relationship with animals. And how both may be broken in some way, but both can help save the other.
Betty
LOVED this book; good stories about different people around the country who rescue animals ....... some parts were pretty hard to get through (heartwrenching), but great read; was sad when I finished it ...... read it in one day.
Poignant, heartbreaking, and loving stories...there were even a few beagles who found forever homes! I need to have an animal rescue something....that would make me happy.
Joanne
Good book for any animal lover - I am always amazed at how animals enrich and improve the lives of people from all walks of life.
Paula
This was a very different book. And a very inspiring one, to say the least. Every chapter is a heartwarming, and sometimes heartbreaking story about people and the animals they are saving. And saving in many different ways. That's what was so interesting, was how these people became involved when they saw a need in their area, and how they created a solution tailored to that need. And most of them are doing it with their own money or on a shoestring budgets, or, working in areas that people avoi ...more
Jessica
Apr 16, 2009 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers
Shelves: animals
This is a wonderful collection of stories from people who have rescued pets or dedicated their lives to helping animals. Reading this made me want to run over to the local humane society and take all the cats home (which my two cats would certainly not appreciate)! Anyone who has pets or loves animals will love this collection of stories. Very interesting and well put together.
Katie
I actually didn't finish this, and I was surprised that I was bored with it. Some of the stories were good, such as the one about the man in New Orleans, but I didn't get the one about the polo player. I see where his dog had probably saved him emotionally, but I didn't see how he had really saved the dog. This could have been a riveting book, but for me it wasn't.
This is a good animal book, makes you realize there are some very compassionate people out there.

Each story begins with an animal that has suffered (usually from abuse and abandonment), and ends with that animal healing, and then comforting their human companions. It is insightful and touching, you WILL tear up!
Cyndie
Absolutely gorgeous pictures and some interesting stories about people and the animals they rescued in one way or another. My only complaint would be that I wish the stories had been longer and more detailed, for each of them I wanted to know even more about the people and animals.
Monica Borneke
I am almost finished with the book and find it interesting that many of the stories are about minnesota animals. Some of the organizations mentioned are ones I have worked with when I was involed in Humane Society work. Heart warming stories but not a nail bitter.
Nanmal
Quick animal loving read from the library. It so sad how many dogs, cats, horses are abused in the country but also uplifting how many people do so much to help many of these animals out.
Randi
As an animal lover and a rescuer this was not what I expected. It was okay, about 25 little personal stories, but they were all happy endings and it wasn't real enough for me.
Kathi Olsen
This book is okay. It had some nice stories, but didn't really hold my interest very well.
Melissa
Enlightening and heartbreaking but lots of happy endings.
Sumiko
Very enjoyable stories of rescued animals, etc.
Teleia
Teleia is currently reading it
Feb 25, 2015
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Kitty
Kitty marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Jon
Jon added it
Nov 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Karin Winegar graduated from Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota and then attended graduate school in English literature at the University of Minnesota. In 1978, she became a reporter at the Minneapolis Star (later the Star Tribune) and wrote feature stories, covered participatory sports, women's sports issues and interviewed celebrity authors until she left the Tribune in 1998. Her editoria ...more
More about Karin Winegar...
Rescued: Saved Animals and the Humans They Help Mother Mother [With Paper with Flaps]