Start by marking “The Man Watching: Anson Dorrance and the University of North Carolina Women's Soccer Dynasty” as Want to Read:

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  17 reviews
As coach of the University of North Carolina women’s soccer team, Anson Dorrance has won more than 90 percent of his games, groomed far more All-Americans, and captured more NCAA championships than any other coach in the sport ten times over. Author Tim Crothersspent four years interviewing Dorrance and Tar Heels players from every era, along with players and coaches from ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Man Watching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Watching

Ben  Campopiano
He summed up what it all meant to him. “The rose is symbolic of wherever each of you are athletically, and it’s symbolic of championships because you’re all responsible for them. What I like about the symbolic use of flowers is that we’re celebrating our past, but after a while, the flower shrivels and dies. That glory is dead. Athletics is about renewal, and you guys are sitting in the places of all the previous classes who have tried to send their seniors out as champions. If we lose a game in ...more
Jeremy
Anything Dorrance or UNC WSOC is great, but this book is cool because it comes from a third party.
Overal great book; Crothers imbeds with the greatest dyansty in all of sports and gives a snapshot of an incredible coaching mind. I took a lot away from this book in terms of the psychology behind motivating athletes, but also the way rigor and passion can create something special. Maybe most interestingly is looking at the organized chaos of how the UNC program is run.
The only knock on this book i
Samantha
Any coach of any sport needs to read this book. It explores different ways to coach and why you have to be your own person. Anson Dorrance talks about his philosophies on coaching and how they came about. Players talk about how things effect them and how to get through them. It discusses recruiting and how parents are part of a program. This book talks about relationships and how important they are between a player and a coach. It was great to see how unorganized and flighty Anson Dorrance can b ...more
Tom
I really did not thing I was going to like this book. It was given to me, by someone related to the subject of the biography, and I read it because I had nothing else to read when I started it. As a general rule of thumb, I'm not much of a fan of biography's of people who are still alive. However, this one was very very good. Part of my affinity for it might come from the fact that I kind of know the subject. Another part of it might be because I also coach soccer. I found myself quoting things ...more
Tracy Roop
I loved this. I enjoyed learning of Anson's younger days and his very competitive nature. There were also so many insights into coaching women from Anson that anyone coaching girls should read this book. It also intrigued me enough to check the UNC women's soccer schedule and try to see if we can fit in a time to see them play. Creating a dominant team that has remained competitive for several decades is an amazing accomplishment.
towner77
Jan 28, 2013 towner77 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to towner77 by: Steve Huster
Shelves: biography, sports
Partial to this book because my daughter is a select soccer player and she was born at UNC Memorial in 1996. For me, this book was riveting. It is loaded with insight toward handling female athletes. Anson explains how his coaching style developed over the years as he was building this dynasty, rivaled by only a few programs throughout the entire landscape of team sports. I highly recommend this book.
Camryn
"The Man Watching" by Tim Crothers is a book about the UNC Womens Soccer dynasty. It talks about the head coach Anson Dorrance and his coaching tactics. It gives good examples on what he looks for in players he recruits and players he found interesting over the years. If your into soccer, recruiting, and you like UNC I would recommend this book for you!
Jamie
This is an excellent biography that is more than a story about Anson Dorrance. It is an amusing combination of a review of the UNC Woman's Soccer Team, a collection of motivational and leadership techniques for women and men, a powerful example of the way passion can influence outcomes, and the founding and maintenance of a living dynasty.
Natalie
Yes I am reading my dad's book for the second time. It amazes me how fascinating his life is and that I am related to him! How different our upbringings were. This book is so entertaining and well written. I recommend you read it even if you aren't a Dorrance.
Pete
Dorrance is not an easy person to like but he is a hell of a coach and reading about his philosophy and methods was interesting, especially as the dad of daughters.
Katy Arris-wilson
Very insightful regarding women athletics and the associated psychology. Overall biographical story of Anson was interesting, but at the end a bit slow.
Connie
Mar 20, 2008 Connie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Men who coach women
Excellent book. Forbes rated UNC Women's Soccer one of the top 3 all time sure bets. This book gives you a look inside.
Elizabeth
i love reading soccer books. this book tells about the unc womens soccer coaches life.
Paige
a must read for any female soccer player, past or present.
John Cook
All of his books are great books....
Jenny Thompson
Really enjoyed this book!
Tammy
Jul 25, 2007 Tammy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: haters
Shelves: read-in-2007
the man is a genius
Robert Ellington
Robert Ellington marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Alisha
Alisha marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Maša Kostanjevec
Maša Kostanjevec marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Mollie Brewer
Mollie Brewer marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Neida
Neida is currently reading it
Oct 29, 2014
April
April marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Abbey Frail
Abbey Frail marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Janie Larned
Janie Larned is currently reading it
Sep 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Queen of Katwe: A Story of Life, Chess, and One Extraordinary Girl's Dream of Becoming a Grandmaster Greatest Teams: The Most Dominant Powerhouses in Sports Hard Work: A Life On and Off the Court Implementing Intrusion Detection Systems Greatest Athletes of the 20th Century