Start by marking “The Complete Compost Gardening Guide: Banner Batches, Grow Heaps, Comforter Compost, and Other Amazing Techniques for Saving Time and Money, and Producing the Most Flavorful, Nutritous Vegetables Ever.” as Want to Read:

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  360 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Develop mature compost right in your garden. Barbara Pleasant and Deborah Martin explain their six-way compost gardening system in this informative guide that will have you rethinking how you create and use your compost. With your plants and compost living together from the beginning, your garden will become a nourishing and organic environment that encourages growth and s ...more
Published February 13th 2008 by Storey Publishing (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Compost Gardening Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Compost Gardening Guide

Jessica
Jun 19, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010
I can't wait to start composting! This book has been really great in helping me figure out where I should put a compost pile and what can go in the pile. I also now have a ton of ideas (maybe too many) for different kinds of composting I can do so I'll have to explore some to figure out what will work best for our yard. I found the last section, which details the popular items that a gardener would plant and good fodder crops, to be very useful.
Katie
Jul 07, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
This is the most complete book on composting I've yet seen. It's thorough, and a good reference guide to have.
Roberta
Dec 23, 2014 Roberta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For the first time ever, I have a compost heap for my garden; nothing fancy, just a little pile that I hope come spring or summer will enhance my garden soil and give me a bumper crop of kitchen vegetables.

The book gives concise advice on different methods of composting, and lists of what (and what not) to put into your compost. The well done photo illustrations are very helpful, and the tone of the book gives the reader a sense of confidence.

I was definitely inspired to finally take my chances
Ruth
May 03, 2010 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: simple-living
I have read about composting before in several gardening books. After being exposed to the topic over and over again, I still felt completely unprepared to start my own compost pile. But reading this book has changed everything (and has likely saved my pitiful garden as well).

This book is thorough. The author describes in detail how to build a compost pile, where to keep it, what goes in it, and what ratios you need to have a high-heat or low-heat compost pile. She also has several great ideas o
Andrew Childers
Feb 11, 2016 Andrew Childers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found Martin's "The Rodale Book of Composting" to be quite thorough in its description of composting; when I saw that she also co-wrote this book, I was excited to see that much of the practical detail from her first book (and some more) was laid out in an attractive way in this book. I didn't read from cover to cover; I skimmed. Still, the sections that I read closely were well written, informative, and, again, practical. This book is a great reference for anyone wanting to compost.
Kristen
Jul 25, 2012 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One day, while working on the front yard of our house, Todd looked at me and said, "Did you ever thinking owning a home would involve so much poo?" No, no I didn't. I bought this book because I was thinking of starting a compost pile in our small backyard. It's an extensive and exhaustive book on composting and maintaining of edibles, and it's really good. My only problem was that it was really written for a reader who has a large backyard, somewhere where they can dedicate a good amount of spac ...more
April
Feb 15, 2015 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A complete guide indeed; perfect resource guide to own.
I love the science and detail in the book that covers the why behind the yes and no of composting. I had no idea there were so many different ways to compost depending on your garden and yard goals. Lots of ideas to implement as I establish my goals over the next few years.
Paula
Apr 18, 2016 Paula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gardeners
Good book, even if it is slightly repetitious. There is certainly plenty to be learned in the world of compost. This book will help you get better quality out of your piles, and teach you how best to use the product you create.
Amy Yarrington
Jul 05, 2012 Amy Yarrington rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything you could ever ask or want to know about composting! Aside from the slightly too-cutesy names for the various composting methods ("Honey Hole"? Really?) this book is a wealth of information for the gardener just trying to start a composting practice. I really appreciated the fact that they covered many different methods and discussed when to use each one. I felt liberated after reading the book and a more free to just "try it and see what works", especially when armed with all the inf ...more
Sher
Oct 22, 2012 Sher rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 66 2012 Reading Challenge -- This book is like a composter's Bible. Over the top on details and different ideas. I felt completely overwhelmed and intimidated, since I am a novice vegetable gardener.
Still, I gathered some helpful ideas-- such as a growing heap inside the garden walls that is a compost pile but you grow, for example , summer squash out of it. Additives, ground covers, worm composting with and with special worm bins. Different styles of composting for different plants -- I g
Bernadette
Sep 13, 2013 Bernadette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. And it is about dirt. Really, compost.
But after reading this, I actually signed up to be a Master Composter.
And I am the girl that doesn't like wriggly things.

Pretty straightforward and approachable explanations of why soil is important and then very practical and (dare I say) fun ways to make your soil awesome.

I thought it might be pretty bland but there are great photos/illustrations, great step by steps and a great writing style that can take a plain as dirt story an
Kris
Jun 07, 2014 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good information, rather dry... thorough and detailed
Erin
Apr 07, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the only book on composting you will ever need. It discusses many different composting methods, style, and tools, and it ends on uses, cover crops, and green mulching. It uses the real, personal experiences of the authors, fantastic step-by-step photos and diagrams, and some great recipes and info graphics.

I got a lot of new ideas and plans from this book, and I can't wait to get started on my new composting projects. I checked this book out of the library, but it is such a fantastic re
Amelia
Dec 20, 2010 Amelia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book lying around the house and spent several weeks flipping through it. The author's tone is relentlessly cheery, to the point where I found it a bit annoying. There are many beautiful illustrations, and probably some good information in there somewhere, but every time I went looking for answers to a particular question I couldn't find what I needed. Basically, I didn't feel that it was organized in a useful way, but it might be good for someone wanting an overview and introduction ...more
Jenn
Feb 17, 2011 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful look at the very many ways to compost (worms, bins, tumblers, pit composting, etc). The very plentiful photographs were illuminating, the writing descriptive and encouraging, and the authors enthusiastic. It would be perfect for anyone new to composting. I however was hoping for a bit more technical information about ratios of browns and greens (this was just touched on) and more detail about compost trouble shooting, Ph levels, etc. Overall it was still a worthy read and I' ...more
Kathy
Jul 21, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good reference
Janet
May 13, 2014 Janet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If I were a more advanced gardener, I probably would have given this book more stars since some of the terms and concepts were not necessarily for beginners. I would have also not skimmed a large portion of it. I am currently interested in composting with worms and chicken manure. The authors did discuss more thoroughly the former, but not much with the latter. At this stage, just learning how to grow veggies is enough. Trying to grow them in a compost garden adds another dimension of difficulty ...more
Amy Vey
May 28, 2014 Amy Vey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a super informative book on everything you ever wanted to know about composting! I was flabbergasted by how much information this book contained. It will be my go-to reference guide when I get further in the process.
Patricia
May 22, 2011 Patricia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Patricia by: Oregonian
This book suffered greatly from the way in which the information was presented, which was too bad because there is a lot of good information in it. It seemed like every single page referred me to yet another page in the book. A few times of flipping from page 27 to page 188 to see what they are taking about seems acceptable, but after the first few times I think there's an indication that your book is suffering from layout issues, or perhaps your information needs to be categorized in a differen ...more
Kim
Jul 23, 2008 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a really good guide to composting... I can't say for certain since I'm only reading in preparation for the garden that will be mine in 8 days, and have absolutely no prior knowledge or other reading to compare this book to!

I like the non-nonsense approach and the clear definitions. The authors give names to different kinds of compost piles, which was helpful to this gardening neophyte. I think I'll be returning to this book for advice again and again.
Knitography
Sep 09, 2010 Knitography rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
There is something for everyone in this book, although if you are already a reasonably experienced and successful composter, this will be of most use to you if you'd like to expand your composting operations to more than one pile.

For anyone who needs to troubleshoot composting problems, or for beginners looking for information on where to start and what tools are needed, this is an excellent resource.
David
Feb 07, 2016 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Complete Compost Gardening Guide: Banner Batches, Grow Heaps, Comforter Compost, and Other Amazing Techniques for Saving Time and Money and Producing the Most Flavorful, Nutritious Vegetables Ever by Barbara Pleasant and Deborah L. Martin (Storey Publishing 2008) (631.875). This is the greatest book ever written about composting bar none. My rating: 8/10, finished 5/1/2010.
Alex
Nov 28, 2013 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: garden
I'll be back to revisit this book as a valuable and balanced resource. I like that it not only addresses the composting needs of the vegetable gardener, but also composting for sustainability.

Shredded paper is not as good as dead leaves, but not really problematic. Avoid composting wax impregnated paper and magazines, and pick out the plastic windows before you shred or compost.
Tony Bradshaw
The book has an uncanny knack of saying "find out more on page ###" so much so that it almost makes me just jump around all around. I finally stopped jumping around and just read it cover to cover. I enjoyed the pointers, and i did learn a lot; however, not one that I am adding to my library.
Tim Gannon
One of the more popular books out there - seemed to repeat itself many times but does offer you a variety of ways of making compost depending on your degree of interest, time, space, and motivation - from trenches, to piles, to bins, to cold vs hot techniques
Suzanne
Aug 17, 2011 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 50-books, 2011
Amazing, clear, and complete layman's guide to composting. Barbara Pleasant gives you all the info (even new techniques) in a very understandable, easy to read format. This book about ROTTING is lovely too--a coffee table book about decay!
Cyn
Feb 23, 2011 Cyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: garden
I look forward to using technique and tips that I learned in this year veggie/herb/flower gardens. I have always wanted to make a worm bin, I have started compost piles in my beds and will try the pit/ditch method of composting.
Mary
May 15, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: garden-and-food
So I suppose I should probably buy this book, because I still don't "get" composting, but I suppose I don't ever "get" ANYTHING until I just do it. I'll say this much, it is in better layman's terms than other sources I've read.
Melva
I picked up this book from the library for my momma. She really enjoyed it and got good ideas for her high-tech compost bin. She abandoned it half-way through 'cause she said reading it was keeping her from gardening too long!
Michael
Aug 29, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
Some new ways to compost like in the ground,etc. were listed. Offered different techiniques and great tips on what to compost and when. Would be a handy book to keep around the house for the gardener.
  • Eliot Coleman's Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production for the 21st Century
  • Let it Rot!: The Gardener's Guide to Composting (Storey's Down-to-Earth Guides)
  • You Grow Girl
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • The Garden Primer
  • McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container: A Container Garden of Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits and Edible Flowers
  • Roots, Shoots, Buckets & Boots: Gardening Together with Children
  • Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardener's Handbook: Perfectly Timed Gardening for Your Most Bountiful Harvest Ever
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers
  • Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting
  • Great Garden Companions: A Companion-Planting System for a Beautiful, Chemical-Free Vegetable Garden
  • Small-Plot, High-Yield Gardening: How to Grow Like a Pro, Save Money, and Eat Well by Turning Your Back (or Front or Side) Yard Into An Organic Produce Garden
  • The Rodale Book of Composting: Easy Methods for Every Gardener
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • The Vegetable Gardener's Bible: Discover Ed's High-Yield W-O-R-D System for All North American Gardening Regions
  • Eat More Dirt: Diverting and Instructive Tips for Growing and Tending an Organic Garden