Start by marking “Passage Meditation: Bringing the Deep Wisdom of the Heart Into Daily Life” as Want to Read:
Passage Meditation: Bringing the Deep Wisdom of the Heart Into Daily Life

Passage Meditation: Bringing the Deep Wisdom of the Heart Into Daily Life

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Written by a highly respected teacher who taught meditation for over forty years, this book gives you all you need to start meditating. With quiet humor, realism, and warmth, Easwaran gives clear instructions and points out the pitfalls. He explains the theory underlying meditation, and conveys the deep joy, security, and selfless energy that regular practice can bring.
In
Published June 1st 2009 by Nilgiri Press (first published August 31st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Passage Meditation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Passage Meditation

Roxanne
Eknath Easwaran's book Passage Meditation: Bringing the Deep Wisdom of the Heart into Daily Life is a kind, thoughtful guide to meditation for beginners and more experienced practitioners alike. Mr. Easwaran takes the tone of a helpful friend and mentor; the book is an easy read that makes meditation seem doable.

Mr. Easwaran starts by discussing the many benefits of meditation, describing how he came to meditation in the first place as a busy young professor at a university in India. He then det
Cuneyt
This is a short book on implementing the "passage meditation" in one's life. It gives a nice background on the method and quite clear method on how to achieve the benefits. If you are interested in meditation and want to read something a bit different than this is a good choice. Method described is applicable to any philosophy or religion and seems quiet straight forward. What I found refreshing was the parts on importance of ethics on reaping the benefits such as putting the others first etc. I ...more
Elizabeth
I have spent the past twenty years trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to meditate. I have read countless books on the subject - by Lama Surya Das, by Jon Kabat-Zinn, by Pema Chodron...and I have attended classes and workshops - with Sharon Salzburg and many other wise and learned teachers. I have sat and sat, trying to focus on my breathing and rid my mind of the series of intrusive thoughts. And, after a while, I give up.

Passage Meditation, Eknath Easwaran's very clear and practical system of medit
Lon
Easwaran has translated important Indian classics into English. Here he translates their essential wisdom into a systematic approach to living a spiritual life, irrespective of religious tradition. A native of India, he came to the US after a distinguished career in English Literature. His unique approach to meditation encourages the repetition of a mantra in any idle moment and also passage meditation, a term describing his recommendation that we choose a passage of scripture or mystical writin ...more
Betsy Ross
Easwaran writes with personal insight that is relevant and applicable to a modern lifestyle. His writings pull from various religious and spiritual texts and don't attempt to persuade readers to subscribe to any one specific religion or belief structure. I found this to be a comfortable and trustworthy guide to a higher understanding of the Self. This text is chock full of resources for further reading, ultimately the book is a great introduction to passage meditation.
Jay J
Not all that enlightening for a seasoned meditator. I found myself not in agreement with so many of the approaches to mantras and passages for meditation seemed so impractical for the average person. Unless you live in an ashram and can devote 24/7 to this practice. However the book was well written and I managed to read and not skim through the book. Ho him.
Nikki
Another great book by Easwaran. He discusses meditation and many related subjects. His chapter on 'slowing down' has helped me tremendously. Easwaran is one of the rare writers who can discuss Eastern beliefs in a very clear, understandable way.

If you are interested in meditation and its benefits, you will greatly appreciate this book.
Greg
Excellent guide on starting or refining your spiritual practice through daily meditation.
Eight steps covered include:
6) Putting Others First
7) Spiritual Fellowship
8) Spiritual Reading
Frank Dufriend
I enjoyed this book, it gives good instruction to the practice of meditation. I don't think it would be very helpful to someone that has been practicing for some time, it is more of a beginner's book.
Sandra Shanti
Nov 13, 2008 Sandra Shanti rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with busy minds
First time meditating? You will enjoy this simple yet profound way to quiet and strengthen the mind.
I plan on reading many of his other titles.
Sandra S.
A practical guide to starting a meditation practice. Much easier than just "clearing your mind."
Sharon Rainey
Excellent. Worth reading twice there is so much to take in.
E.S.
added value to my life
Mickey Sampson
Mickey Sampson marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Irina Borisevich
Irina Borisevich marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Yogendra Pasupulati
Yogendra Pasupulati marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Donald Brown
Donald Brown marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Donald
Donald is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2014
Seeta Joseph
Seeta Joseph marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Sandi Ellifritz-morrison
Sandi Ellifritz-morrison marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Javier La Banca
Javier La Banca marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Ask and It Is Given: The Processes
  • The HeartMath Solution: The Institute of HeartMath's Revolutionary Program for Engaging the Power of the Heart's Intelligence
  • The Science of Success: How to Attract Prosperity and Create Life Balance Through Proven Principles
  • The Psychic Pathway: A Workbook for Reawakening the Voice of Your Soul
  • The Second Coming of Christ: The Resurrection of the Christ Within You, a Revelatory Commentary on the Original Teachings of Jesus
  • Communion with God: An Uncommon Dialogue
  • 101 Power Thoughts
  • Static Jedi: The Art of Hearing God Through the Noise
  • Meditation for the Love of It: Enjoying Your Own Deepest Experience
  • Healing Words
  • Opening to Channel: How to Connect with Your Guide
  • Jesus: Uncovering the Life, Teachings, and Relevance of a Religious Revolutionary
  • The Mindful Brain: Reflection and Attunement in the Cultivation of Well-Being
  • The Heart Speaks: A Cardiologist Reveals the Secret Language of Healing
  • The Privileged Planet: How Our Place in the Cosmos Is Designed for Discovery
  • A Course In Weight Loss: 21 Spiritual Lessons for Surrendering Your Weight Forever
  • The Long-Distance Relationship Survival Guide
  • Be Happy!: Release the Power of Happiness in YOU
Gandhi the Man: How One Man Changed Himself to Change the World Meditation: A Simple Eight-Point Program for Translating Spiritual Ideals into Daily Life The Upanishads The End of Sorrow: The Bhagavad Gita for Daily Living, Volume I [India's timeless and practical scripture presented as a manual for everyday use] The Mantram Handbook

“concentration breeds efficiency while division brings inefficiency, error, and tension.” 0 likes