Start by marking “Ella the Elegant Elephant” as Want to Read:
Ella the Elegant Elephant

Ella the Elegant Elephant

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  295 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
She's younger than Babar, shyer than Lily, and every bit as cute as Olivia. Look out! Here's ELLA!

Ella's counting the days until the first day of school ... but not because she's eager to start! On the contrary, as the littlest elephant on Elephant Island, she's terribly nervous about the other kids she'll meet. Then she receives a beautiful red hat that belonged to her gr
Published September 1st 2004 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Ella the Elegant Elephant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ella the Elegant Elephant

7709julia
Apr 19, 2013 7709julia rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS MY CHILDHOOD. I found it on my shelf the other day, and immediately fell in love. It is about the struggles of ella, who goes to a new school and gets made fun of for her silly hat. It is a tale of grief, fitting in, being an outsider, and finally, acceptance. I highly recommend this book to anyone with a heart.
Kathryn
Oct 07, 2009 Kathryn rated it liked it
I fell in love with the cover art! SO CUTE!!!!! It reminds me a bit of Joan Walsh Anglund's art elephant-style ;-> The illustrations are quite fun throughout. The story is a good one for kids new to school, or a new school, in that it encourages one to maintain their personality and goodness in the face of bullies and against the threat of "not fitting in." Alas, the writing style was really not all that special for me, but it was still a pleasant book all told.
Jessie Wilkens
Apr 23, 2010 Jessie Wilkens rated it really liked it
Normally I would not add a children's book (normally I wouldn't read a children's book) but this was very cute and I want to remember it. This strikes me as something that would have been one of my favorites as a child.
Melanie
Ella the elephant is nervous about starting a new school. When she finds that her grandmother has sent her her lucky hat, she feels slightly better. But when she gets to school she quickly learns that a neat hat does not always guarantee friends. One of Ella's classmates immediately begins to tease her. When Ella is challenged to retrieve a ball off of a high safety wall, she challenges the other student right back. The other child accepts and up the wall she goes...only to find herself stuck. W ...more
Sarah Adamson
Oct 10, 2014 Sarah Adamson rated it really liked it
A fun book about a little girl elephant who is nervous about starting school. She encounters the school bully and tries to work out how to fit in. She stands up to the bully and then saves her life.
A good book allowing children to open up about teasing at school and acceptable behavior.
Ashley
Jan 26, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it
Ella the Elegant Elephant is a cute book with a great story. Listening to it on audio emphasized the characters personalities as it allowed Ella's voice to sound more timid. I think it would be a great book for kindergarten and first graders as they are new to school and are first exposed to the desire to fit in. Overall, it has cute illustrations that help to tell the story and a fun ending.
Katherine
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I also found this book in my classroom. This was the cutest book ever, the illustrations are so cute and classic. I loved that the characters did not have facial expressions, it made me want to think up my own. This is a great book for kids to help them with positive self- esteem. This would be a great book to read on the first day of class to help kids loosen up a little. I reminded me of an old time style with the colors and what the elephants were wearing and i ...more
Penny McGill
Jun 07, 2013 Penny McGill rated it it was amazing
We can't say enough about this brave little elephant. She is industrious and imaginative as she helps her mother at the bakery. When Ella goes off on an adventure in her beautiful town you can't help but want to go there to visit and eat some of those baked goods. She has some helpful friends and some pesky friends but she works at doing the right thing despite the challenges the story throws her way.

This is a book series that reminds you of Babar and all the most beautiful children's picture b
Mariah
Aug 22, 2015 Mariah rated it really liked it
Very precious about being new in a crowd, expressing your individuality, and dealing with bullies. The artwork is adorably retro and soft.
Karen
Jun 05, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
I wanted to like the book more than I did, but, despite the shortcomings of the story, Ella herself is delightfully charming.
Taylor Baker-Gower
Oct 24, 2014 Taylor Baker-Gower rated it it was ok
Illustrations were super cute, but the story didn't impress me.
Peacegal
Jun 12, 2014 Peacegal rated it liked it
A young elephant learns what makes her special.
Franjessca
Read to Devine - November 23, 2014
Catarina
Dec 23, 2014 Catarina rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
Ella Mitsch
Oct 12, 2015 Ella Mitsch rated it it was amazing
this book is my childhood and I vaguely remember my parents reading this to me nearly every night!! I LOVE THIS BOOK SO DAMN MUCH!!! AAHH
Alexis
Jan 27, 2008 Alexis rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
We received this book when Ella was born. It has been sitting on her hutch as decoration until yesterday when I decided to bring it down.

It's still a little old for her-I think school aged children could understand and benefit from the moral lessons taught, but my Ella still enjoyed it and asked me to read it again today.

I think she's really just a narcasist who likes to hear her name. ;)
Amanda Andrews
This book takes place on Elephant Island and has pretty pictures. Ella is nervous about going to school for the first time and wears her grandma's big red hat because she loves it. She gets teased and bullied at school, but in the end she saves the day because of her hat. This book we be good to use on the first day of school, when talking about bullying, or just talking about being yourself.
Megan
Apr 23, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it
This book is about an Elephant named Ella who is new to a school. She wears her grandmother's hat is gets made fun of. The hat ends up being a life saver and turns her luck around. This book teaches students to be themselves and be proud. I like to use this book to show how negative bullying is also.
Libby
Dec 01, 2010 Libby rated it liked it
I didn't like this one as much as the other Ella books I've read, mostly because I had to reread it to N. about 20 times. I just don't understand how Ella could be new to town if she lives on a small group of isolated islands, and I really don't like Belinda! Ella is still charming, though.
Lushyloo13
Aug 16, 2009 Lushyloo13 rated it really liked it
This is a really cute book with great illustrations!!! I love how cute they make all the animals and i love the moral!!!! And we all know i am obsessed with elephants, so that's why i love it so much but i think even if you are not not obsessed with lephants you will like it!
Robin
Feb 04, 2013 Robin rated it liked it
This is a title I discovered on the shelves of Savers in Providence. I look for books and authors that I know and like plus I keep my eyes peeled for books in great shape, like this one. It still had its dust jacket, for example. Ella's story is sweet.
Karen
Aug 09, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-out-loud
Ella begins a new school. Every elephant looks the same, except for Ella who has this hat. She gets teased about it. In the end, Ella's hat unwittingly saves the day, and then every elephant wants a hat just like Ella.
Rainey
Dec 10, 2012 Rainey rated it really liked it
This wonderfully illustrated tale expresses well what it means to be independent and to stand up for yourself. I would recommend this book to any young reader who is moving or changing schools!
Heather
Apr 19, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book--the story, the moral, the illustrations. I'm looking forward to sharing this with my daughter and to reading the rest of the books in this series.
Chrystal
Jun 03, 2010 Chrystal rated it it was amazing
My girls picked this one to read over and over. They liked the hat and seeing the elephants in the classroom. I liked the good message about forgiveness and friendship.
Tina
Dec 11, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it
I love the illustrations in this book. It's a great book to teach about being helping others and how we're not so different from on another. Being a risk-taker, open minded.
Phuong
May 11, 2012 Phuong rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Maura loves elephants and Ella is definitely a keeper. She and I really enjoyed reading this together. This is the first in the Ella series.
Miri
Oct 04, 2014 Miri rated it it was amazing
So, so cute. Adorably illustrated, and such a great story. I can't wait to read more Ella books. She seems like a fantastic character.
Jeanette
Mar 29, 2012 Jeanette rated it really liked it
We love all the Ella books. That might be for the obvious reason of the character's name being Ella but they are also cute stories.
Sep 21, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
The combination of the story, the font, the illustrations-- the entire package of this book is marvelously charming. Two thumbs way up!
  • Olive, My Love
  • Maisy Goes to the Library: A Maisy First Experience Book
  • Fancy Nancy: Explorer Extraordinaire!
  • Toot & Puddle: Charming Opal