Start by marking “Ever After (Williamsburg, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ever After (Williamsburg, #3)

Ever After (Williamsburg #3)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  360 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In Ever After, Bracken Murray visits London duing the Jubilee summer of 1897 after his wife deserts him. Here he falls in love with an English girl. Meanwhile back in the USA his cousin Fitz rescues a music-hall singer who f alls in love with him. '
Mass Market Paperback
Published 1955 by Pocket Cardinal (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about Ever After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ever After

Barbara Irene Carter
The story picks up almost 30 years after the close of the civil war in 1865. Again, the Day and Sprague families are the focus as they struggle with their romantic lives and the social and economic forces that effect the choices that they make. New characters are introduced as well as the locale shifts from Williamsburg, to New York and to England. The Spanish-American War is the conflict that effects the great-great grandchildren of Julian Day and St. John Sprague. Highly recommend this book fo ...more
Misfit
Ever After is the third book in Thane's Williamsburg series, and begins in 1896. Bracken Murray (son of Cabot and Eden in Yankee Stranger), married the wrong woman, and she's left him for a wealthier lover and living the high life somewhere on the continent. Bracken journeys to England with his aunt and sister, and while there sets eyes on fifteen-year-old Dinah, youngest daughter of the Earl of something or other (book's at home), and he knows she is the one he will love until he dies. Problem ...more
Kate Joekel
Ever After, by Elswyth Thane, is third in one of my favorite series. This series follows the Sprague and Day families from the American Revolution through WWII. In this book, the families make contact with England and the place that the Sprague family originally came from. These stories are filled with history , description of place and wonderful love stories. I am almost 60 years old, and first read these books more than 40 years ago. Every so often I reread them (in order) just for enjoyment!
Stephanie
This was one of many novels I picked up for free at a library to create a drawing out of (see the drawing here). Not having a clue what the book was about, or who the author was, I just started reading. And I never stopped. I was swept up in the love story between Dinah and Bracken, and admired how sweet and loving it felt.
What I found the most interesting and enjoyed the most was that the love stories were considered "scandalous" for their time, but in today's society, it's innocent. The behav
Terry Stanton
Very light yet satisfying read. Loved the description of battle scenes during the spanish american war. I like how Thane moves inside the character's head and walks the reader through the angst and fear of facing death. And the bar has been set for the measure of a man. Bracken Murray is divine.
Barbara
I just love every one of these I have read. I also love talking about them to my 80 year old friend who is so exited to loan them to me and share. She says she as never loaned these books out before, because they are her favorites. She's had them since the 50's.
Emma Jane
It took me a LONG time to finish this book. And I mean a long time. *cough* As in, almost a month. I know, shameful. Of course, I did read three or four books during that time, but still, that's no excuse.

I enjoyed the first two books in this series immensely and read them both quite rapidly. While it may have taken me longer to get through this one, by no means does that mean it was not equally amazing! I LOVE this series madly. And just so you know, I will never stop ranting about how utterl
Becky
I would have given thise book four stars, but I only "really liked" certain parts of it, so I went with three stars.

The book is kind of like the movie "Love, Actually", because it goes through several couples romances, marriages, etc., in a pretty seamless way but still does a fair bit of jumping back and forth. The con of this was that, for me at least, it was very hard to keep track of names/who people were. And because of the time period, one person might be called Lord Alwyn AND Edward, so i
Mallory
Not one but two love stories take place in this novel set just before the turn of the century with the backdrop war being the not-well-remembered Spanish and American conflict in Cuba. As this is the third Williamsburg book, the relationships between and descendants of the Spragues and Days have started to become a little confusing. I often found myself referring back to Elswyth Thane’s very helpful family chart in the front of the book (thank goodness she stuck that in there!). Bracken Murray i ...more
Gaile
This is actually a very good book and I would have given it four stars if not for what I think is a dispensable session on the Spanish American War and Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders. This session was fun to read. At the same time it veered away from the central plot and had no relevance to the rest of the book. The only reason I can think that Ms Thane added this is that she has to have her war.
Bracken Murray is a war correspondent for his father's newspaper, The Star in New York City. The main
Margaret
12/2012 ** I can see why I keep coming back to this historical fiction series that was first published nearly 60 years ago. In this one, I was struck by the personification of a dispatch boat. She seemed to have such personality and devotion to the war correspondent she worked with.

As with other books in this series that I've been re-reading this month though read for the first time about 30 years ago, this was my first acquaintance with the Spanish-American war.

It's always fun to see romance,
Carolynne
One of my favorites of the Williamsburg novels. in it Bracken falls for innocent Dinah Campion, and she seems to return his affection, but alas, he is still married to the faithless Lisl, who does not really love him, but will not let him go. Finally, after her death, it looks like Bracken and Dinah can finally be together, but the Spanish-American war intervenes. The more promising romance of Virginia and Archie provides a neat counterpoint to the star-crossed relationship of Bracken and Dinah. ...more
Linda
Another great, fun to read historical fiction from the Williamsburg Series by Elswyth Thane. This book about forbidden love is set in Williamsburg, England, and Cuba during the Spanish/American war. Bracken loves much-too-young Dinah of England, Fritz loves a singer and entertainer, Sue and Sedgewick love each other, but their love will never be and our hearts break with them.
Jennifer Fluegge
I LOVED Elswyth Thane's books! So good! I think that this one was one that I especially loved, but would have to go back and look at them again to be sure. Excellent historic fiction that just makes you want to read every single one of her books!
Kay
The third book in the Williamsburg series takes the Virginia and New York members of the family to England, where the ancestral home is. We meet the English side and meet new friends.
Linda
Descendants of Day's family as war correspondents inEngland and America in the 1890's during the Spanish American War.

(Working from a list of books I read years ago.)
Jackie
This wasn't as good as the first two. There was a slow part in the middle, but it was still pretty good. A must to get to the next ones in the series.
Sally
I've read this series several times over the years, and it holds up well to rereading it again.
Lourdes
hard to read at times but unexpectedly captivating. I definitely recommend this book!
Rayni
Oct 11, 2007 Rayni rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like historical novels.
My Williamsburg novels are in storage. I loved them all.
Linda Lautenschlager
Linda Lautenschlager marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Ann Robbins
Ann Robbins marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Desarae
Desarae marked it as to-read
Kisa Pendleton
Kisa Pendleton marked it as to-read
Caitlin Smith
Caitlin Smith marked it as to-read
  • Summer Half
  • The Berkeley Square Affair
  • Vittoria Cottage (Dering Family, #1)
  • Sue Barton, Superintendent of Nurses (Sue Barton, #5)
  • The Christmas Mouse (Fairacre, #10)
  • Except for Me and Thee
  • Spider Dance (Irene Adler, #8)
  • Beneath a Silent Moon (Charles & Mélanie Fraser #2)
  • An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)
  • Weird Texas: Your travel guide to Texas's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • The Parfit Knight
  • A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)
Thane is most famous for her "Williamsburg" series of historical fiction. The books cover several generations of a single family from the American Revolutionary War up to World War II. The action moves from Williamsburg in later books to England, New York City and Richmond, Virginia.
More about Elswyth Thane...

Williamsburg (7 books)
  • Dawn's Early Light (Williamsburg, #1)
  • Yankee Stranger (Williamsburg, #2)
  • The Light Heart (Williamsburg, #4)
  • Kissing Kin (Williamsburg, #5)
  • This Was Tomorrow (Williamsburg, #6)
  • Homing (Williamsburg, #7)
Dawn's Early Light (Williamsburg, #1) Yankee Stranger (Williamsburg, #2) Tryst Kissing Kin (Williamsburg, #5) The Light Heart (Williamsburg, #4)

“A house you came to love was like a person, and loved you back, and then you belonged to it forever.” 2 likes
“It's nice to be loved for one's faults and not one's virtues!" "...Knowing that whatever you do or however badly you behave, he still feels the way he said just now." "But if people really love each other their faults don't matter," said Bracken..Dinah regarded him with large, serious eyes. "I wonder how many people could say that," she murmured.” 1 likes