Start by marking “Design (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)” as Want to Read:
Design (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)

Design (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)

Whether it consists of quick sketches on a lunch counter napkin, elaborate paintings in oils or watercolors, or dazzling computer renderings, the unparalleled creative process of Disney artists is lavishly showcased in Design, the third volume of The Walt Disney Animation Studios - The Archive Series. Among the incredible talents featured in this volume are Albert Hurter, ...more
Published November 23rd 2010 by Disney Editions

To ask other readers questions about Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Design

Liz
Jul 19, 2015 Liz rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous.

I found myself stopping and wishing I could take a page out and frame it quite a few times. The Fantasia and Beauty and the Beast sections especially struck me; the latter because it's my favorite and the former because it was just so, so lovely.

It was also really interesting to see the variations of character art side by side—all the different Ursulas!—as well as the wide array of medium used.

A great addition to any Disney collection.
Stephanie
Jul 24, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely stunning. I am so glad that I purchased it! Seeing the different artists view of movies I know so well was interesting. I found myself wanting to see movies in their styles, most specifically any movie Mary Blair did artwork for.

I also want so many of these drawings on my wall! I love all this art and highly recommend to any true Disney fan.
Monet St. Louis
Feb 10, 2011 Monet St. Louis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, art-books
this book has so many beautiful concept designs for past and future disney movies, going from mickey himself...all the way to tangled. I have always loved concept art, and this book was like a kid in a candy store for me!
Parka
Dec 05, 2012 Parka rated it it was amazing

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

Of the three books from The Archive Series, this is my favourite. It covers design or the concept art for animated films.

This 256-page hardcover is filled with beautiful character designs, background paintings and storyboards. There are Mary Blair's paintings, wonderful layouts from Hans Bacher, the Lilo and Stitch drawings from Chris Sanders, pastel colour scripts from Bolt animated films and more. The art here is way more colourful than the previous two volum
Paul Astell
Feb 04, 2014 Paul Astell rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites, animation
The Archive Series is a wonderful selection of four books, focusing on the Animation, Layout and Background, Story and Design of Disney features.

This one, Design, is arguably the most rewarding of the set, if you are only looking to buy one. It consists of a selection of concept artwork for Disney features (including some shorts), running from 1928 up to 2010. Several prominent Disney artists including Eyvind Earle, Mary Blair and Glen Keane are featured. The evolution of the character designs i
Tor
Dec 07, 2011 Tor rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. I loved looking at all the sketches(I especially love looking at sketches), and the design process.
The only thing that made me a little sad was that I couldn't find any art work for Treasure Planet or Atlantis.
But there was a page for The Emperors New Groove.
And the art work for Tangled was a little disappointing. I was hoping to see some art that wasn't included in the Art of Tangled...but it was still nice. :)
I love looking through this book. It's really inspirational.
Vimacone
Aug 03, 2014 Vimacone rated it it was amazing
Shelves: disney-history
Another collection of Disney art straight from the archives. This one focuses on inspirational sketches by people like Mary Blair and Albert Hurter. These are great collections, only it leaves me wondering what else is in the Disney Archives.
Aug 23, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
Would have been nice to see more of the concept art work for the different films in this book. Instead you get one to two pieces for each film. Still, very nice art work.
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2013
Elen
Dec 28, 2015 Elen rated it it was amazing
Snyggast i serien (av de jag har) - riktigt, riktigt härlig! Recension dyker förhoppningsvis upp!
Berthe Amoss
Berthe Amoss rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2014
Samantha Mammenga
Samantha Mammenga rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2011
Jeff Baham
Jeff Baham rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Ntini Obrina Makhaya Edwards
Ntini Obrina Makhaya Edwards rated it did not like it
Jul 13, 2015
Ken Brown
Ken Brown rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2014
Sameena Jehanzeb
Sameena Jehanzeb rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2017
Mia Hrabosky
Mia Hrabosky rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2012
Adale
Adale rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Daniela
Daniela rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Danielle Aston
Danielle Aston rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2012
Key-mya Holt
Key-mya Holt rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2015
Heidi Ahmed
Heidi Ahmed rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2013
Belsi
Belsi rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2017
Jacque
Jacque rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016
Felipe
Felipe rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Caroline
Caroline rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Stephen Towler
Stephen Towler rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures - Volume 2
  • The Art of the Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • The Alchemy of Animation: Making an Animated Film in the Modern Age
  • The Art of The Princess and the Frog
  • Directing the Story: Professional Storytelling and Storyboarding Techniques for Live Action and Animation
  • Tale as Old as Time: The Art and Making of Beauty and the Beast
  • Figure Drawing: Design And Invention
  • Disney's Aladdin: The Making of an Animated Film
  • Dream Worlds: Production Design for Animation
  • The Art of Brave
  • The Art of Monsters, Inc.
  • Cartoon Animation
  • A Disney Sketchbook
  • The Animator's Workbook: Step-By-Step Techniques of Drawn Animation
Note: The decision was made to consolidate all Disney publications under the name Walt Disney Company. This profile is for Walt Disney, the characters he created, and the company he founded. Any questions, please ask in the Librarian's Group.

Walter Elias “Walt” Disney (December 5, 1901 – December 15, 1966) was an American film producer, director, screenwriter, voice actor, animator, entrepreneur,
More about Walt Disney Company...

Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series (4 books)
  • Animation (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)
  • Layout & Background (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)
  • Story (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)