Fair Trade for All: How Trade Can Promote Development (Initiative for Policy Dialogue Series C)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics and author of the New York Times bestselling book Globalization and Its Discontents, Joseph E. Stiglitz here joins with fellow economist Andrew Charlton to offer a challenging and controversial argument about how globalization can actually help Third World countries to develop and prosper.

In Fair Trade For All, Stiglitz and Charlton a...more
Published January 5th 2006 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 2005)

Robert McDonald
Oct 22, 2007 Robert McDonald rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: people interested in globalization
It’s always great to pick up a new work by an author and realize he’s done exactly what you hoped he would do. Such was my feeling when I started reading Joseph Stiglitz’s new book, written with Andrew Charlton.

In Stiglitz’s lst work, entitled Making Globalization Work , he mostly rehashed criticism from Globalization and its Discontents, leading to my bad review. Basically, he detailed why current patterns of globalization aren’t working, and stopped there.

Finally, in the most recent piece, Fai...more
Nate Brustein
This book is quite specific about how WTO trade deals should be designed in order to help the developing world. Really interesting, but I don't see how any of his ideas would really be politically palatable in the U.S., especially in today's anti-trade environment.
Fiona
This insightful book investigates the deficiencies in world trade policy institutions in promoting and supporting development in developing countries. It focuses in the main on the World Trade Organisation (WTO) and the failings of this institution which heavily favours developed countries from a process perspective. Developed countries are at a distinct advantage from not only their market size, but their ability to investigate and quantify the impacts of proposed trade policy nationally and in...more
Max
Five stars for the idea, depth of research, and insightfulness. Three stars for the writing, which dragged on and repeated itself a lot as these books have a tendency to do. I got the feeling that this was Charlton's thesis and that Stiglitz really liked it and basically agreed to sign on to what Charlton wrote.

The principal idea, in a nutshell, is that all nations should agree to open their borders to every nation that is both smaller and poorer than itself. This is a very appealing idea to me...more
Lindsey
An interesting look at the possible impacts of and improvements for the Doha Round. Lots of Stiglitz's proscriptions seem reasonable and is evidence that they could be effective are promising. However, I wonder if any of it is really practicable. The only real incentive for developed countries to make some of these concession is for good PR. There are precious few real gains for developed countries to make many of the concessions and little evidence of economic gain for the developed countries f...more
Beth
I have to admit that I did not make it all the way through this book. (I did make it to page 150 out of 214 but had to stop there.)
This really is not a book for laypeople. Unless you have some previous knowledge of economics, international trade or other WTO issues, this book gets very technical quickly. The words may not be difficult words but the ideas and concepts are intricate and complex.
But it did make my respect for Joseph Stiglitz grow, as I do like the way he writes (generally very acc...more
Caro
Dec 21, 2008 Caro rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: thesis
I like Stiglitz. The first book that I read from him is Globalization and its discontents and I felt in love with the book.
This new book gives a good perspective about the WTO and how it works. It also propose several ideas to resolve the conflicts betwen developing countries and developed countries. And here it comes a great BUT to this book.... Stiglitz is quite a dreamer and despite the fact that his ideas are good some of them sounds just like nice dreams almost impossible to put in practic...more
Jake Losh
Stiglitz raises really good arguments and makes many salient points. Too bad you'd never be able to find them due to the obfuscated style this book offers. Choose a different text. That is, unless you like headaches.
Ali
Aug 23, 2007 Ali added it Recommends it for: student of economics
It is a wonderful books for those of you who are interedted in free trade among nations. Learn how to have a better life by having relationships in therms of economics.
Javier Boncompte
Very good at demystifying the international "free market" economy. The proposal seems a bit impracticable but the analysis and data presented are very good.
A bit drier than other things I've read by him. You have to be really interested in the WTO to get through this one...
Kinoti Kithuri
practical solutions to poverty and inequality in trade
Flavie
Flavie marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Elena Cofaru
Elena Cofaru is currently reading it
Apr 16, 2014
Twf
Twf marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
João Tiago
João Tiago marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Farhan Nasir
Farhan Nasir marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
M Sz
M Sz marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Jessica Fuendling eley
Jessica Fuendling eley marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Eason
Eason marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Seher
Seher added it
Feb 13, 2014
Emily Kirchman
Emily Kirchman marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Luke
Luke added it
Jan 18, 2014
Raheena
Raheena marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Jfriera
Jfriera marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
  • Common Wealth: Economics for a Crowded Planet
  • In Defense of Globalization
  • The Travels of A T-Shirt in the Global Economy: An Economist Examines the Markets, Power, and Politics of World Trade
  • The Affluent Society
  • Pop Internationalism
  • The Elusive Quest for Growth: Economists' Adventures and Misadventures in the Tropics
  • Greedy Bastards
  • The Physics of Wall Street: A Brief History of Predicting the Unpredictable
  • The Great Transformation: The Political and Economic Origins of Our Time
  • Building Social Business: The New Kind of Capitalism That Serves Humanity's Most Pressing Needs
  • So Rich, So Poor: Why It's So Hard to End Poverty in America
  • Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid: Eradicating Poverty Through Profits
  • The Bottom Billion: Why the Poorest Countries Are Failing and What Can Be Done About It
  • A Farewell to Alms: A Brief Economic History of the World
  • Sustainable Energy - Without the Hot Air
  • The Mystery of Capital: Why Capitalism Triumphs in the West and Fails Everywhere Else
  • Development as Freedom
  • Capitalism, Socialism and Democracy
Joseph Eugene Stiglitz, ForMemRS, FBA, is an American economist and a professor at Columbia University. He is a recipient of the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences (2001) and the John Bates Clark Medal (1979). He is also the former Senior Vice President and Chief Economist of the World Bank. He is known for his critical view of the management of globalization, free-market economists (whom h...more
More about Joseph E. Stiglitz...
Globalization and Its Discontents The Price of Inequality: How Today's Divided Society Endangers Our Future Freefall: America, Free Markets, and the Sinking of the World Economy Making Globalization Work The Three Trillion Dollar War: The True Cost of the Iraq Conflict