Start by marking “Defined by Christ: Seeing” as Want to Read:
Defined by Christ: Seeing

Defined by Christ: Seeing

Using the scriptures, words of prophets, insightful analogies, and stories drawn from poignant personal experiences, author Toni Sorenson illuminates the pathway toward opening the gift of divine love and finding lasting peace by focusing on God's goodness rather than our own weakness.
Published January 1st 2010 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Defined by Christ, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defined by Christ

Margaret
Apr 29, 2011 Margaret rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. She wrote this book for people who don't feel like Jesus loves them and they let the world define them. Toward the end of the book she also said she wrote the book for a friend who's toddler drowned in the bathtub when she was in the next room. This woman cannot forgive herself and does not think that Jesus could possibly love her after what she did.

I am not someone who feels like Jesus doesn't love me. I can feel his love everyday but reading it felt like wrapping a
LauraLee
Jan 08, 2011 LauraLee rated it really liked it
I liked how this book tied real life experience of the author to the scriptures and words of living prophets. The author did not over do it with details of her personal life, but instead wrote in generalities that I could relate to.
Kristen
Sep 24, 2010 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Seriously, run right out right now and buy a copy of this book and keep it next to your scriptures it's that important!!!
Shanda
Aug 18, 2010 Shanda rated it it was amazing
Shortly after I started working with my trainer last year, she recommended that I read Defined by Christ. It had changed her life during an incredibly stressful and discouraging time. With all of the books on my to-read list, I never got around to reading it. However, since I was lucky enough to interview Toni Sorenson for Utah Book Month, I moved it to the top of the list.

Too often we place the value of ourselves on things or situations we can’t control and people whose opinions don’t really ma
Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
Nov 06, 2011 Erika B. (SOS BOOKS) rated it really liked it
Shelves: spir-tual, moauthor
A beautiful book that takes the question "What think ye of Christ?" and changes it to "What does Christ think of you?" That's a very personal and profound question to answer and I thought this author did a very good job at it! My personal favorite part-
"Consider these facts: Albert Einstein's teacher told his parents that he would never amount to anything of worth. A coaching staff cut Michael Jordan from his high school basketball team. A newspaper editor fired Walt Disney for lacking creativit
Katie
Jan 15, 2013 Katie rated it did not like it
About halfway through this book I just couldn't take it anymore and stopped reading. There's nothing wrong with writing about the Savior and our relationship to Him through His Atonement. However, each individual's personal relationship with Christ is well, personal. This woman chose to put hers in a book. Okay, I've seen people do that tastefully, but she just made me feel uncomfortable. She's been through some difficult trials in her life and chose to write about them in a "please pity me!" ki ...more
Nancy
Mar 22, 2011 Nancy rated it liked it
Recommended to Nancy by: Jennifer
Shelves: book-group, religion
I am not sure I would actually say I 'liked it' with this book, but because the fundamental message is important and beautiful, I give it the 3 stars.

The title comes from the scripture 'What think ye of Christ?' and she realized that it was just as important to ask 'What does Christ think of me?' His opinion of us is the only one that really matters.

The author wants you to know that God the Father and Jesus Christ love you. Period. Regardless of anything and everything - which is a truth that is
April Fear
Oct 24, 2012 April Fear rated it it was amazing
This is such a positive book. The author shares experiences from her life when she was down, alone and felt no self worth. She walks us through her transformation of understanding what a child of God really means and the blessings of the atonement that cover all aspects of our lives, not only our sins. The author helps everyone to see that God does in fact love each and everyone of us.

Just because we experience hard, unjust and difficult things in our lives, doesn't mean God doesn't love us. Sat
John  Kirkman
Dec 19, 2012 John Kirkman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds, 2012
This book is filled with powerful messages about finding our true worth and value! I loved it! I feel like every teenager should read this book so they can come to see their true worth through the eyes of the Savior. There are so many messages in the world and through the media about finding worth through clothes, popularity, championships, money, etc. that this message is truly needed. How many are committing suicide who once had worldly success and didn't find lasting peace and value? Tooo man ...more
Kim Dennis
Aug 14, 2016 Kim Dennis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: z-2016-religious
This was such a fantastic book for me to read right now. With school starting, I find more and more that I allow myself to be defined by others than Christ -- students, parents and administrators. One or two bad situations will always make me question myself and who I am. While I haven't been through nearly the difficult experiences in my life that Toni Sorenson has been through in hers, I have felt many of the feelings she described. I loved hearing how she overcame them. It helped rejuvenate m ...more
Jean
Dec 27, 2011 Jean rated it really liked it
The author teaches how to open the pathway towards opening the divine gift of love and accepting the atonement in our own lives. She teaches that we need to focus on our own infinite worth rather than our own every day weaknesses. It was delightful and I enjoyed reading it. It was a great reminder of truths we already know but sometimes don't always embrace. She teaches a lot about how important it is to develop confidence in the plan of happiness.
Jodi Robinson
Oct 05, 2010 Jodi Robinson rated it liked it
Thank you, Toni, for being so honest with your readers. Without detailing the hardships and trials, Toni weaves powerful teachings of truth from page to page taking readers on a journey to discover how to define themselves through the Lord, Jesus Christ. Anyone who reads this will come away feeling better about herself/himself and strengthened by the love of a caring Creator and the support of a willing Savior.
Kaylie
Jun 30, 2015 Kaylie rated it it was amazing
I officially have a new favorite book. Defined by Christ is insightful and heartfelt and full of light and hope. I loved Toni Sorenson's writing style. She was so sincere; I felt like I was talking to a friend when I read it. So beautiful. I would be in a very different place (emotionally and spiritually) if I hadn't read this. I would recommend it to anyone, but especially to those struggling to find their worth and their identity.
Kimberly Van De Graaff
Mar 31, 2014 Kimberly Van De Graaff rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. For those who struggle with who they are, guilt, depression, fear, etc., this book is for you. The author does a very good job relating the fact that we are all defined by Christ and what that entails. There were many great examples, scriptures, quotes and personal experiences that she drew on to make for a really good read!
Stephanie
Apr 10, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I love books that make me look at life differently and want to be a better person. Some things were new that made me think "Wow" and others gave me another perspective on things I alread knew. Really, it doesn't matter what the world thinks of us and the label it gives us. What the Lord thinks of us is the most important. A must read!!!
Meagan
Jul 16, 2014 Meagan rated it it was amazing
Don't be defined by what you think others are labeling you as. Allow your self to be defined by Christ and be filled with that love. The main message of the book is to search and feel Christ's love. Very uplifting.
Lynne
May 09, 2012 Lynne rated it it was amazing
I actually "read" this on a book on CD. I liked it. The author uses many examples from her life. She lists various things we can do to lean more on Christ and to believe we are important to our Heavenly Father.
Alex
Aug 05, 2010 Alex rated it it was amazing
this is definately a book EVERYONE needs to read. i loved it.
Nicolle
Nov 26, 2010 Nicolle rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I've needed to read something like this for a very long time.
Candice
Nov 14, 2011 Candice rated it it was amazing
MUST READ!
Matthew
Oct 20, 2010 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-authors
Powerful and moving read about our true value as children of God.
Kristin
Jan 13, 2011 Kristin rated it really liked it
I know Toni and I was humbled and moved by her willingness to share her personal journey. She is close to her Savior and I loved reading about how she came to realize that she is loved by him.
Heidi
Jan 21, 2013 Heidi rated it it was amazing
This book always had a way of getting through to me. Good read for anyone needing a boost.
Cindy
Oct 28, 2010 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Very good book! Everyone should read this!
Jenny
Dec 26, 2011 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-non-fiction
I could read this book again and again. I LOVED it!
Evelyn
Oct 11, 2010 Evelyn rated it really liked it
Toni generously shared her heart and her insights in this book and led me to ponder how I want to change and improve my own life. Thank you, Toni, for putting so many things in perspective.
Donna
Jul 07, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it
This was uplifting and easy to read. A good reminder of who we really are and who we are meant to be. A nice perspective with some great analogies that I plan to use.
Michele
Dec 17, 2010 Michele rated it really liked it
Toni Sorenson has some great insights.
Debbie Olson
Mar 16, 2011 Debbie Olson rated it it was amazing
Great book. Reminds us that Christ loves us no matter what. One example i loved in the book was the baby chicken breaking out of the egg. We have to struggle sometimes to grow and be strong.
Jenna
Jul 26, 2011 Jenna rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful. I don't usually read these books since I'm more of a story book lover but this sucked me right in and I felt the spirit from beginning to end and ever since. A must-read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Peter Potential: Discover the Life You Were Meant to Live
  • Angels: Agents of Light, Love, and Power
  • 21 Principles: Divine Truths to Help You Live By the Spirit
  • Weakness Is Not Sin: The Liberating Distinction That Awakens Our Strengths
  • Divine Signatures: The Confirming Hand of God (Divine Guidance, #2)
  • When You Can't Do It Alone
  • Living Your Covenants Every Day
  • Book of Mormon Reference Companion
  • House of Learning: Getting More from Your Temple Experience
  • Agent Bishop: True Stories from an FBI Agent Moonlighting as a Mormon Bishop

“I wonder how many of us stretch our faces with smiles wide enough to mask the pain we hide. I wonder how many of us go through the motions—attending church, giving service, nurturing our families, learning and doing—while inside we feel empty, broken, doubtful, and even guilty for the way we feel!” 0 likes