Start by marking “Defined By Christ” as Want to Read:
Defined By Christ

Defined By Christ

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  32 reviews
So many of us stretch our faces with smiles wide enough to mask the pain we hide. So many of us go through the motions, attending church, giving service, nurturing our families, learning and doing, while inside we feel empty, broken, doubtful, and even guilty for the way we feel. We tell ourselves that if we'd only work harder, we would somehow earn the blessings of peace, ...more
Published August 2nd 2010 by Covenant Communications Inc. (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Defined By Christ, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defined By Christ

I really enjoyed this book. She wrote this book for people who don't feel like Jesus loves them and they let the world define them. Toward the end of the book she also said she wrote the book for a friend who's toddler drowned in the bathtub when she was in the next room. This woman cannot forgive herself and does not think that Jesus could possibly love her after what she did.

I am not someone who feels like Jesus doesn't love me. I can feel his love everyday but reading it felt like wrapping a
I liked how this book tied real life experience of the author to the scriptures and words of living prophets. The author did not over do it with details of her personal life, but instead wrote in generalities that I could relate to.
Seriously, run right out right now and buy a copy of this book and keep it next to your scriptures it's that important!!!
Shortly after I started working with my trainer last year, she recommended that I read Defined by Christ. It had changed her life during an incredibly stressful and discouraging time. With all of the books on my to-read list, I never got around to reading it. However, since I was lucky enough to interview Toni Sorenson for Utah Book Month, I moved it to the top of the list.

Too often we place the value of ourselves on things or situations we can’t control and people whose opinions don’t really ma
Erika B. (Snogging on Sunday Books)
A beautiful book that takes the question "What think ye of Christ?" and changes it to "What does Christ think of you?" That's a very personal and profound question to answer and I thought this author did a very good job at it! My personal favorite part-
"Consider these facts: Albert Einstein's teacher told his parents that he would never amount to anything of worth. A coaching staff cut Michael Jordan from his high school basketball team. A newspaper editor fired Walt Disney for lacking creativit
Apr 19, 2011 Nancy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nancy by: Jennifer
I am not sure I would actually say I 'liked it' with this book, but because the fundamental message is important and beautiful, I give it the 3 stars.

The title comes from the scripture 'What think ye of Christ?' and she realized that it was just as important to ask 'What does Christ think of me?' His opinion of us is the only one that really matters.

The author wants you to know that God the Father and Jesus Christ love you. Period. Regardless of anything and everything - which is a truth that is
About halfway through this book I just couldn't take it anymore and stopped reading. There's nothing wrong with writing about the Savior and our relationship to Him through His Atonement. However, each individual's personal relationship with Christ is well, personal. This woman chose to put hers in a book. Okay, I've seen people do that tastefully, but she just made me feel uncomfortable. She's been through some difficult trials in her life and chose to write about them in a "please pity me!" ki ...more
I officially have a new favorite book. Defined by Christ is insightful and heartfelt and full of light and hope. I loved Toni Sorenson's writing style. She was so sincere; I felt like I was talking to a friend when I read it. So beautiful. I would be in a very different place (emotionally and spiritually) if I hadn't read this. I would recommend it to anyone, but especially to those struggling to find their worth and their identity.
Kimberly Van De Graaff
I really liked this book. For those who struggle with who they are, guilt, depression, fear, etc., this book is for you. The author does a very good job relating the fact that we are all defined by Christ and what that entails. There were many great examples, scriptures, quotes and personal experiences that she drew on to make for a really good read!
April Fear
This is such a positive book. The author shares experiences from her life when she was down, alone and felt no self worth. She walks us through her transformation of understanding what a child of God really means and the blessings of the atonement that cover all aspects of our lives, not only our sins. The author helps everyone to see that God does in fact love each and everyone of us.

Just because we experience hard, unjust and difficult things in our lives, doesn't mean God doesn't love us. Sat
Don't be defined by what you think others are labeling you as. Allow your self to be defined by Christ and be filled with that love. The main message of the book is to search and feel Christ's love. Very uplifting.
John  Kirkman
This book is filled with powerful messages about finding our true worth and value! I loved it! I feel like every teenager should read this book so they can come to see their true worth through the eyes of the Savior. There are so many messages in the world and through the media about finding worth through clothes, popularity, championships, money, etc. that this message is truly needed. How many are committing suicide who once had worldly success and didn't find lasting peace and value? Tooo man ...more
Karen Hartshorn
I needed this book---maybe you do too...
The author teaches how to open the pathway towards opening the divine gift of love and accepting the atonement in our own lives. She teaches that we need to focus on our own infinite worth rather than our own every day weaknesses. It was delightful and I enjoyed reading it. It was a great reminder of truths we already know but sometimes don't always embrace. She teaches a lot about how important it is to develop confidence in the plan of happiness.
Jodi Robinson
Thank you, Toni, for being so honest with your readers. Without detailing the hardships and trials, Toni weaves powerful teachings of truth from page to page taking readers on a journey to discover how to define themselves through the Lord, Jesus Christ. Anyone who reads this will come away feeling better about herself/himself and strengthened by the love of a caring Creator and the support of a willing Savior.
I love books that make me look at life differently and want to be a better person. Some things were new that made me think "Wow" and others gave me another perspective on things I alread knew. Really, it doesn't matter what the world thinks of us and the label it gives us. What the Lord thinks of us is the most important. A must read!!!
I actually "read" this on a book on CD. I liked it. The author uses many examples from her life. She lists various things we can do to lean more on Christ and to believe we are important to our Heavenly Father.
Debbie Olson
Great book. Reminds us that Christ loves us no matter what. One example i loved in the book was the baby chicken breaking out of the egg. We have to struggle sometimes to grow and be strong.
This book is wonderful. I don't usually read these books since I'm more of a story book lover but this sucked me right in and I felt the spirit from beginning to end and ever since. A must-read.
I know Toni and I was humbled and moved by her willingness to share her personal journey. She is close to her Savior and I loved reading about how she came to realize that she is loved by him.
Toni generously shared her heart and her insights in this book and led me to ponder how I want to change and improve my own life. Thank you, Toni, for putting so many things in perspective.
This was uplifting and easy to read. A good reminder of who we really are and who we are meant to be. A nice perspective with some great analogies that I plan to use.
This book always had a way of getting through to me. Good read for anyone needing a boost.
I loved this book! I've needed to read something like this for a very long time.
This is an inspiring book, especially for anyone who is facing challenges.
this is definately a book EVERYONE needs to read. i loved it.
Powerful and moving read about our true value as children of God.
I could read this book again and again. I LOVED it!
Very good book! Everyone should read this!
Toni Sorenson has some great insights.
  • Change Your Questions, Change Your Life
  • The Simeon Solution: One Woman's Spiritual Odyssey
  • House of Learning: Getting More from Your Temple Experience
  • Daughters of God
  • Spiritually Anchored in Unsettled Times
  • Act in Doctrine: Spiritual Patterns for Turning From Self to the Savior (Spiritual Patterns, #2)

“I wonder how many of us stretch our faces with smiles wide enough to mask the pain we hide. I wonder how many of us go through the motions—attending church, giving service, nurturing our families, learning and doing—while inside we feel empty, broken, doubtful, and even guilty for the way we feel!” 0 likes