Start by marking “But I Wouldn't Want to Die There” as Want to Read:
But I Wouldn't Want to Die There

But I Wouldn't Want to Die There (Jenny Cain #8)

Jenny Cain is back to take a bite out of the Big Apple. When Jenny’s friend Carol is killed while jogging in New York, the police write it off as another Manhattan mugging. But Jenny soon discovers that the story of Carol’s life and death is full of dark and unexpected twists.
Published June 15th 2010 by Gallery Books (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about But I Wouldn't Want to Die There, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about But I Wouldn't Want to Die There

LJ
BUT I WOULDN'T WANT TO DIE THERE - G
Pickard, Nancy - 8th in series

Ordinarily, Massachusetts native Jenny Cain would be thrilled to spend time in New York City. But her good friend Carol Margolis has just been brutally murdered—a mugging gone wrong, say the police—and Jenny's been tapped to step into Carol's shoes as temporary director of the Hart Foundation.

In New York, Jenny soon finds that almost everyone Carol knew had, if not a motive to kill, at least a grudge—from sharp-tongued Patricia Vi
Nell
Mar 23, 2012 Nell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cache, z2012
Very very good. Reminds me of what a great mystery writer Nancy Pickard is. This mystery is set in NYC in the early 90's. When Jenny, the main character, arrives there are a couple of references to the World Trade Center as an orientation point or along with the Statue of Liberty as an part of the NYC skyline. The picture of the skyline on the cover shows the twin towers - it's eerie.

The mystery is excellent. Jenny loves NYC but she's a fish out of water. The author conveys the diversity and com
Judi
Sep 15, 2012 Judi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been meaning to add this book to this list for some time. Jenny Cain goes to New York City to find out why her friend Carol was brutally murdered. She ends up living in Carol's apartment (in a building full of aging eccentrics) and taking over her job at the Hart Foundation (lots of complicated problems to sort out). Carol's family is too ready to blame the murder on Carol's separated husband, Steve, who has asked Jenny to prove his innocence. There are lots of reason I liked this book - th ...more
Luz  C. Johnson
Aug 03, 2013 Luz C. Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, we are taken away from “Poor Fred” and comfortably well set in the Big Apple. Jenny suddenly finds herself with a new “temporary” job offer, a dead friend, and perhaps a probable divorce due to relocation. Geof hates NY. And of course a murderer on the loose –What else? One of my fantasy jobs has always been to become a PI, so when my first suspicion turned out to be correct, it reassured my fantasy beyond belief. I have lots of fun reading Nancy Pickard’s Jennifer Cain’s mystery series.
George
Jan 31, 2012 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
#8 in the Jenny Cain mystery series. Jenny is the former CEO of a charitable foundation in the fictional small town of Port Frederick, Mass. A New York City friend of Jenny's who heads a foundation there is killed and the foundation asks Jenny to help get things in order there. She accepts and encounters a number of situations that she has to deal with along with trying to learn who and why relating to her friend's murder.
April Hochstrasser
The Jenny Cain series is always entertaining. It's great for a weekend read where you know you won't learn anything, but just want to sit and read. The mystery of "who done it?" was an interesting twist at the end that the author had been building toward, but never enough to give it away.
K. East
Part of the Jenny Cain mystery series. I've not read any of the others, but I will look for them. This was an easy read, not gruesome like many newer murder mysteries. The solution was there but not obvious. Easy two day read.
Karen
Put this one in my $5 box because I had a teacher in high school named "Nancy Pickard".

Silly premise - someone dies and their dear friend must come take over their job and home to solve the mystery. But overall a pretty decent book.

Dogsandbooks
DPL. Jenny Cain moves to NYC to take up a foundation job for a murdered friend. Some gore, but mostly sleuthing--or looking at people one at a time. No compelling story.
Margaret
Read this over the weekend - not bad.
I guessed the murderer pretty early in this one so it was a bit anti-climatic for me at the end.
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Claudia Gerard
Claudia Gerard rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2014
Luther McCloud
Luther McCloud rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Nina Sorensen
Nina Sorensen rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2012
Gail Usher
Gail Usher rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2016
Pat
Pat rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2017
Ruth
Ruth rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2015
Brenda
Brenda rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Amanda DeWees
Amanda DeWees rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2014
Jean
Jean rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
May 15, 2011
Lpage1479 page
Aug 28, 2010 Lpage1479 page rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book from one of my favorite mystery writers. This one takes place in New York City.
Toni
Toni rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2009
Jackye Dunn
Jackye Dunn rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2014
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2007
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2014
Lori
Lori rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2014
  • Trophies and Dead Things
  • Martians in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #8)
  • The Stolen Blue (Claire Reynier, #1)
  • Women of Mystery
  • Home Sweet Homicide
  • The Silver Ghost (Kelling & Bittersohn, #8)
  • Baby Doll Games (Sigrid Harald, #5)
  • Nice Girls Finish Last (Robin Hudson, #2)
  • Footnote To Murder
  • Amelia Peabody Omnibus (Amelia Peabody, #1-4)
  • Women on the Case
  • The Deserter: Murder at Gettysburg (Homer Kelly, #17)
  • The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter (Ballad, #2)
  • Death of a Domestic Diva (A Stain-busting Mystery, #1)
  • Painted Truth (Alix Thorssen Mystery, #2)
  • The Man in the Mist
  • Blackwater Spirits (Glynis Tryon, #3)
  • I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia (Amanda Pepper, #3)
Nancy Pickard is an American crime novelist. She received a degree in journalism from the University of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri and began writing at age 35.

She has won five Macavity Awards, four Agatha Awards, an Anthony Award, and a Shamus Award. She is the only author to win all four awards. Her novel The Virgin of Small Plains, published in 2007, won an Agatha Award. She also served on t
More about Nancy Pickard...

Jenny Cain (10 books)
  • Generous Death (Jenny Cain, #1)
  • Say No to Murder (Jenny Cain, #2)
  • No Body (Jenny Cain, #3)
  • Marriage Is Murder (Jenny Cain, #4)
  • Dead Crazy (Jenny Cain, #5)
  • Bum Steer (Jenny Cain, #6)
  • I.O.U. (Jenny Cain, #7)
  • Confession (Jenny Cain, #9)
  • Twilight (Jenny Cain, #10)