But I Wouldn't Want to Die There

But I Wouldn't Want to Die There (Jenny Cain #8)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  419 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A Simon & Schuster eBook. Simon & Schuster has a great book for every reader.
Published June 15th 2010 by Gallery Books (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about But I Wouldn't Want to Die There, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about But I Wouldn't Want to Die There

LJ
BUT I WOULDN'T WANT TO DIE THERE - G
Pickard, Nancy - 8th in series

Ordinarily, Massachusetts native Jenny Cain would be thrilled to spend time in New York City. But her good friend Carol Margolis has just been brutally murdered—a mugging gone wrong, say the police—and Jenny's been tapped to step into Carol's shoes as temporary director of the Hart Foundation.

In New York, Jenny soon finds that almost everyone Carol knew had, if not a motive to kill, at least a grudge—from sharp-tongued Patricia Vi...more
Nell
Very very good. Reminds me of what a great mystery writer Nancy Pickard is. This mystery is set in NYC in the early 90's. When Jenny, the main character, arrives there are a couple of references to the World Trade Center as an orientation point or along with the Statue of Liberty as an part of the NYC skyline. The picture of the skyline on the cover shows the twin towers - it's eerie.

The mystery is excellent. Jenny loves NYC but she's a fish out of water. The author conveys the diversity and com...more
Judi
I've been meaning to add this book to this list for some time. Jenny Cain goes to New York City to find out why her friend Carol was brutally murdered. She ends up living in Carol's apartment (in a building full of aging eccentrics) and taking over her job at the Hart Foundation (lots of complicated problems to sort out). Carol's family is too ready to blame the murder on Carol's separated husband, Steve, who has asked Jenny to prove his innocence. There are lots of reason I liked this book - th...more
Luz  C. Johnson
Again, we are taken away from “Poor Fred” and comfortably well set in the Big Apple. Jenny suddenly finds herself with a new “temporary” job offer, a dead friend, and perhaps a probable divorce due to relocation. Geof hates NY. And of course a murderer on the loose –What else? One of my fantasy jobs has always been to become a PI, so when my first suspicion turned out to be correct, it reassured my fantasy beyond belief. I have lots of fun reading Nancy Pickard’s Jennifer Cain’s mystery series.
George
#8 in the Jenny Cain mystery series. Jenny is the former CEO of a charitable foundation in the fictional small town of Port Frederick, Mass. A New York City friend of Jenny's who heads a foundation there is killed and the foundation asks Jenny to help get things in order there. She accepts and encounters a number of situations that she has to deal with along with trying to learn who and why relating to her friend's murder.
April Hochstrasser
The Jenny Cain series is always entertaining. It's great for a weekend read where you know you won't learn anything, but just want to sit and read. The mystery of "who done it?" was an interesting twist at the end that the author had been building toward, but never enough to give it away.
Karen
Put this one in my $5 box because I had a teacher in high school named "Nancy Pickard".

Silly premise - someone dies and their dear friend must come take over their job and home to solve the mystery. But overall a pretty decent book.

K. East
Part of the Jenny Cain mystery series. I've not read any of the others, but I will look for them. This was an easy read, not gruesome like many newer murder mysteries. The solution was there but not obvious. Easy two day read.
Margaret
Read this over the weekend - not bad.
I guessed the murderer pretty early in this one so it was a bit anti-climatic for me at the end.
Lpage1479 page
A good book from one of my favorite mystery writers. This one takes place in New York City.
Terri
This is a good mystery, good characters, and a lot of fun too as Jennie Cain visits New York City
Shirley
This book concentrated on describing New York and the characters, but didn't have much plot.
Julie H.
After Jenny's friend Carole is killed, she heads to New York City to close the case.
Torri Ralston
Stupid, horrible I give it a zero.
Cws
M Pic
Twl Newtown
Twl Newtown marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Maryann Macpherson
Maryann Macpherson marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Jen
Jen added it
Aug 05, 2014
Mamat
Mamat marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
  • Trophies and Dead Things (Sharon McCone, #11)
  • The Silver Ghost (Kelling & Bittersohn, #8)
  • Martians in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #8)
  • The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter (Ballad, #2)
  • Nice Girls Finish Last (Robin Hudson, #2)
  • Baby Doll Games
  • The Body in the Bonfire (Faith Fairchild, #12)
  • Murder in the Queen's Armes (Gideon Oliver, #3)
  • I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia (Amanda Pepper, #3)
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • A Taste for Murder (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #1)
(from Wikipedia)

Nancy Pickard (born 1945) is a US crime novelist. She has won five Macavity Awards, four Agatha Awards, an Anthony Award, and a Shamus Award. She is the only author to win all four awards. She also served on the board of directors of the Mystery Writers of America. She received a degree in journalism from the University of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri and began writing at age 35....more
More about Nancy Pickard...
The Scent of Rain and Lightning The Virgin of Small Plains The Whole Truth (Marie Lightfoot, #1) The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders (Eugenia Potter, #4) Generous Death (Jenny Cain, #1)