Start by marking “Der Schacht” as Want to Read:
Der Schacht

Der Schacht

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,324 ratings  ·  118 reviews
You think YOU had a killer workday. . .
Get ready for the FASTEST thriller of the summer!

Each morning in his 45th floor executive office, David Elliot savors the quiet
moments until the workday begins.

Until today, when his boss walks in and aims a gun at him.

For the rest of the day, he will be trapped in his midtown office building, and
everyone David Elliot meets will try t
Published by Piper (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Der Schacht, please sign up.

Asteropê I Googled. Found this:
I Googled. Found this:
"In 1995, his second novel Vertical Run, a corporate thriller, became an international best-seller. The book's setting is 200 Park Avenue, the address of Booz Allen. It was bought by a Hollywood studio in the 1990s only to be shelved in pre-production." (Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_R...)

So, looks like no. Though, perhaps someone decided to finally make one? I didn't see any news or articles about it though.

There was a movie made called Vertical Limit, maybe that's what you were thinking of? (less)

Jenny Esplin
My brother forced me to read this book. It's his favorite novel of all time. I didn't want to read it, especially after seeing the nasty, yellow-stained, warped paperback copy he brought over for me to borrow. It looks like he dropped it in the toilet or something. Disgusting. It took me about a year to work up the nerve to touch it, and then I had to read it with my shirt pulled over my hands and a thick coating of hand sanitizer on. Anyway, it goes to show how good the book is that I was willi ...more
Peter Derk
Matt W.
When the novel Vertical Run is over, Dave Elliot is a changed person. Through excruciating circumstances and several moral decisions David becomes a person that understands who he is, and what he has to do to save himself and those he loves.

Early on in the story Dave’s boss walks in his office with a gun and tries to shoot him. After managing to knock out his boss Dave walks out of his office only to be shot at again -- this time by mercenaries that know what they are doing. Also about this time
Katherine Clark
I'm probably giving this too many stars, but hear me out. Before this, I read Private L.A., a Patterson book. That book was pretty bad. REading Garber's book immediately after gave me such appreciation for what can be done with a thriller. There can be really interesting back stories, and chapters can be longer than 3 pages, and characters can have some development and quirks, and I can actually care about the characters. Not to mention, in the hands of a good author, I can actually be surprised ...more
Brian
Okay, this is definitely a guilty pleasure book for those liking action. There are predictable aspects to it and the novel is definitely dated now. However, it is still a very enjoyable read for what it is.

I call this kind of book "mind-candy". It's easy-reading, sucks you in... but isn't too memorable or deep. Just enjoy it as it is... which is a book in the vein of the original "Die Hard".

I think the author sets a good pace and creates interesting (although stereotypical) characters and scen
Brian Ashe
I absolutely love this book. Just read it for the 3rd or 4th time. I skimmed a good amount because I also read it just a few months ago (for the first time in years) but it's one of those books I can just pick up and really get into all over again. It owes a bit to Die Hard but beyond some of the premise and a couple details it's wholly original. Great action and a satisfying conclusion, which is one place that books like this sometimes come up short. It's really too bad that Mr. Garber died so ...more
Sílvia
What a great book! One of the best thrillers I've read so far. It's really intense and does a wonderful job at keeping you hooked and dying to know what happens next.
Both the main plot and the whole background story about the main character are very believable. Dave is a striking character, I sympathized with him and was pulling for the story to work out in his favour. I loved as well that the author included Dave's reasoning and planning of his actions and the traps he'd set.

I'm looking forward
Joan
Vertical Run is a most unusual mystery and the first novel I've read by this author. It is fast-paced, action-filled, skillfully-constructed, and full of unexpected twists and turns of plot. The author has a strong command of the English language and uses it well to involve the reader in the story.

Published in 1995, this book contained some dialogue that was startlingly current in content. Here are two passages I found particularly interesting and well-written. The first is a character's monolo
Tamela
Update: They have it for Kindle now, so I'm downloading it right now.

This is one of my all time favorite books. I especially enjoyed the audio book. Stephen Lang is a great reader. I only wish I could get it for my Kindle also. I actually got my sister to read it (she's read about 12 books her whole life :D)

I highly recommend this book if you enjoy action, mystery, humor, and a great ending.

Read and listened to this numerous times.
Mike
This book was an unexpected treat for me. I really did not think I'd enjoy when a friend reccomended it to me. After the constant nagging from said friend I decided to crack it open. Within what seemed like such a short amount of time I returned the book and proceded to give great thanks. This is still one of the best thrillers I've ever read. Readers will raise an eyebrow here, and there, and then finish with an expression of WTF?
Bryan457
Dave comes in early to the office and his boss tries to kill him. A real thrill ride.
I really like the character. It turns out Dave is not only good at turning the hunters into the hunted, but he gets a real charge out of it.
I would give it 5 stars but there is some stuff about torture, heads on poles, and some bad stuff from his Vietnam days, and the ending had some odd spots, but it is still one of my favorite books.
Nick
Not the most complex book, but if I had to categorize it, Vertical Run would be one of those summer blockbuster movies. Fast paced action, sometimes over the top action, decent enough characters and a fascinating grabber that keeps you turning the pages.
Lawrence Tuck
You will LOVE this book. Action, action, action as well as being put in the shoes of the main character trying to figure out why everyone is trying to kill him.
Monique
Most interesting story about a former special ops soldier turned businessman for 25 years. He goes to work one morning, as usual, and is confronted by his boss who wants to kill him. He manages to disarm his boss only to discover that there is an entire posse of black ops characters out to kill him as well.

Over the course of 36 hours, he manages to elude the traps as his old training kicks in and this gives him time to figure out why someone wants him dead.

The language is appropriate, the suspen
Andre T
I may be rating this book a bit conservatively, as I enjoyed it more than my rating may indicate. As thriller, it is very solid, with a likeable hero and an adequately, if somewhat 2-dimensional, evil foe, and has good pacing in an entertaining narrative about a corporate man whose world has turned upside down as he is being hunted down in his offices, by an unknown agency.

If I had read it back in the mid-90s, when this book had come out, I'd give it a 3-star rating, but now, with more than 15 y
Joseph
Vertical Run
Joseph R. Garber

Vertical Run starts out with a normal 47 year old man named Dave who suddenly wakes up one morning and his boss at his company wants to kill him. Soon after, he finds out that everybody he knows is trying to kill him. He has no clue why everybody is trying to kill him, and needs to find out and do something about it...while not getting killed.

I thought this book was a very action-packed book. The only part of the book where there was no action would be the flashbacks.
Metodi Markov
Добър трилър, 4*, в него ме впечатли основно този цитат:

Не мога да се чувствам добре, че съм жена, ако ти не се чувстваш зле, че си мъж.

Не мога да се гордея, че съм чернокож, ако ти не се срамуваш, че си бял.

Не мога да се уважавам, че съм хомосексуалист, ако ти не си притеснен, че си нормален.

Толерантността е отживелица, тя е нещо старомодно и ние не я искаме.

Равенството също — то е снизхождение в най-добрия случай, а всъщност е изнамерено, за да те унижава.
Gautam Surath
If you have ever wondered what Die Hard might have looked like as a script then you may finally have your answer. Vertical Run is than and much more. It deliver everything the AV medium cannot and more. The lead protagonist is beautifully constructed and his inner voice is so well done you almost don't realize there is no real conversations during the course of the book. Super fast and super fun. Don't forget it for your next short trip.
Nathaniel
Basically the paperback equivalent of "Tom Clancy meets Die Hard; half implausibly detailed military intrigue, half "guy trapped in a skyscraper who has to kick ass and save the day all by his lonesome" and all 90's all the way. In that sense, it feels derivative of the hot action properties that existed at the time that it was written, but like those properties it's really more fun than it should be 20 years later: silly, implausible, and in some respects almost hilariously dated, yes, but ente ...more
Paula
This was an audio book I had laying around. Unfortunately it was an abridged version but even so was a very good listen. It was a thriller that kept me wanting to listen.

Dave Elliott is a retired Marine who is married to his second wife and lives a rather usual life. He runs in the morning, then goes to work and showers there and changes clothes. He follows the same routine most days but this morning when he opens his bosses door, he is met with a gun. Dave has no idea what's going on but is abl
Jim A
This was a re-read for me. I first read it back when first published in the 90's.

The book holds up well, almost 20 years after being written. The protagonist is a typical upper management type who comes to work one day and finds his boss wants to kill him. From there he goes on the run within his office tower in mid Manhattan. Of course what would a chase be if not for the protagonist being ex Special Forces with more than the average executive's skill set.

Being the picky reader that I have bec
Biffbolt
James Paul
A fast paced, punchy, can't put down, action packed thriller that will leave you wanting more. This is the only work by this late author I'd stake my reputation on recommending. It's been years since I've read it and the story is still vivid to me.
Dana
One of the best books I've ever read. The action was nonstop, the storyline kept you on the edge your seat. The plot was so amazing that I couldn't put the book down. How sad that this author left us so soon.
Kameron
This book took a while to really get into, but once you do your in for a great ride! If you liked the Jason Bourne books you'll love this one.
It is about and ex-soldier who fought in the vietnam war who begins everyday by doing his normal daily things. Get up, have breakfast with family, etc. However when he gets into his large office build that he had been working at for years, things go out of his daily chain. His business parter, who he had worked with for years, pulls a gun on him. Infact
Ira
Lumayan deh, ceritanya tentang eksekutif perusahaan yang kena virus saat menginspeksi perusahaan/laboratorium yang mo di beli ama boss-nya.

Dia nggak tau kalo dirinya sudah terinfeksi dan nggak ada yang nagsih tau karena laboratorium itu sebenernya laboratorium rahasi milik pemerintah USA yang sedang mengembangkan senjata biologi. Jadi ya gitu deh. Dia dikejar-kejar ama sekelompok tentara bayaran supaya virus-nya nggak nyebar.

Garis ceritanya lumayan ok, cuman herannya kenapa nggak bilang aja ke
Chris Gorsend
If Die Hard were a made-for-TV movie, this would be the novelization. Fast, forgettable and sometimes trite, like all good escapism.
Jim Mccullen
The book was a fantastic thrill ride but the author destroyed it with a pathetic ending. Still had a great time reading it.
Ed Howland
This is a book I recommend to everyone looking for a story to hook them quickly and keep them turning the pages.
Marti
This was a highly charged, exciting novel, almost from the first page. Interspersed with the current action, is the history of Dave Elliot's military experience. He has been married for the second time--some years back, and has a fairly grown son. This is a memorable day for Dave. When he gets to work in a high rise Manhattan building, he finds that his boss--and some others--want him dead. He does escape from the building at one point, but this is where it is happening. Why? If you want to find ...more
That's Entertainment!! 1 3 Nov 05, 2011 08:30PM
  • The Inner Sanctum
  • Nathan's Run
  • 24 Declassified: Collateral Damage
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • The Last Spymaster
  • Crossing the Lion (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #9)
  • Flyaway
  • Watch Me
  • Man On Fire
  • The Cat Dancers (Cam Richter, #1)
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • Point of Impact (Bob Lee Swagger, #1)
  • The Albino Knife (Matador, #6)
  • Day of Reckoning
  • The Jerusalem Diamond
  • Eleven Days
  • The Grid
  • Mugger Blood (The Destroyer, #30)
Joseph R. Garber was an American author, best known for his 1995 thriller Vertical Run and for the articles he wrote on technology for Forbes magazine.

Garber was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, moving often as an army brat. He attended the University of Virginia, but quit to join the U.S. Army himself, eventually graduating from East Tennessee State University in 1968 with a philosophy degree.
More about Joseph R. Garber...
Whirlwind In a Perfect State Rascal Money Fuite Infernale Milliardenpoker. Feindliche Übernahme Einer Firma