The Edge of Light (At Home in Beldon Grove, #1)

The Edge of Light (At Home in Beldon Grove #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  627 ratings  ·  75 reviews
In this emotional historical novel, readers will be captivated by the strong spirit of Mollie McGarvey as she fights to survive loss and the hard ways of life on the prairie.
Published January 1st 2009 by Fleming H. Revell Company

Kristina Jo
Bonnie
The Edge of Light is a seamlessly written story of faith, courage and survival. The story begins in 1838 with Molly McGarvie, who lives in St. Lawrenceville, Missouri. When her husband Samuel dies she must find a way to provide for herself and her family. A woman of spirit and strength, Molly believes for the impossible and sets out on a journey that takes her and readers on a quest for a new life and a miracle.

Ann’s captivating writing style draws readers into the lives of Molly McGarvie, her...more
Karen
Thank you for picking me to win this book!

The story is about Molly McGarvie and her children after her husband, Samuel, dies. The family had made a life for themselves in 1836 and were living well. When her husband gets sick and dies she is left to raise her three children on her own, while being pregnant.
Samuel's brother does not do right by her and the children and takes the business her husband built away from her. She has no choice but to leave the town and find help from her brother.
I do...more
Allison
Synopsis:

It is the summer of 1838 in St. Lawrenceville, Missouri, and Molly McGarvie's life is about to change forever. When her beloved Samuel succumbs to cholera, Molly is heartbroken but resolves to take care of herself and her children.

When Samuel's unscrupulous brother takes over the family business and leaves Molly to fend for herself, she knows she must head out on her own. It is a dangerous journey, and along the way she must face the loss of another family member. Somehow she must find...more
Kathleen
I would like to thank you for chosing me to receive through Goodreads, The Edge of Light by Ann Shorey. I've read the book and enjoyed the charactor of Molly McGavie. During a time in our history were women are not thought to be able to take care of themselves let alone their family without a husband. For now Molly is determined to be on her own after the death of her husband and proves to everyone that it can be done. Thanks again and I'm looking forward to the 2nd in the series.
Southernbelle0326
Oct 22, 2008 Southernbelle0326 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Southernbelle0326 by: Bethany House Publishing
#1 At Home in Beldon Grove series
Shari Larsen
It's the summer of 1838 in St.Lawerenceville, Missouri, when Molly McGarvie's life changes forever after her husband dies from cholera. Molly is heartbroken, but determined to take care of herself and her three children, and also her unborn child. But her unscrupulous brother in law cheats her out of the family business, and Molly has no choice but to make the dangerous journey to Illinois, where her older brother lives.

She is forced to leave behind Betsy, a slave who is also been her friend sin...more
Rachel Thompson
Louise
Story Description:

Baker Publishing Group | January 1, 2009 | Trade Paperback |ISBN 978-8007-3330-8

It is the summer of 1838 in St. Lawrenceville, Missouri, and Molly McGarvie's life is about to change forever. When her beloved Samuel succumbs to cholera, Molly is heartbroken but determined to take care of herself and her children. But when Samuel's unscrupulous brother takes over the family business and leaves Molly to fend for herself, she knows she must head out on her own. It is a dangerous jo...more
Tracy Smith
This story begins with Molly McGarvie facing the tragic loss and love of her husband, Samuel, leaving her with three small children and one on the way to care for. She must learn to struggle without him through many losses, including that of a dear friend who also happens to be a young slave woman who has been by her side since she was very young. Molly, with her borher Matthew's help, moves on to Beldon Grove, where she faces many more challenges. Here, she will find with faith and lots of hope...more
Margaret
Much in the same way as Siri Mitchell write Regency novels that are incredibly depressing, but historically accurate and visual new novelist Ann Shorey does the same on the American Frontier. Through out my experience in reading this novel I was sad and heartbroken with the characters as one thing happened after another. It reminded me of childhood playing of the game Oregon Trail as you could do nothing but let life take things away. At first I was curious what could possibly happen that would...more
April
Free Kindle download.

The story begins with the heroine's husband dying from cholera, and she's left to fend for herself and her children. It's quite a struggle since her brother-in-law, who had always been covetous of what his brother had in material goods, isn't very helpful with taking care of his brother's widow. Since everything has been left to him, and he's not feeling charitable, the heroine and her family are essentially kicked out of house and home, and she's forced to part with her bel...more
Jeanette
Charming page turner

Charming page turner

Molly becomes a young widow of three children, expecting and finds herself homeless and without the comfort of her childhood friend...her slave, she plans to free. Molly is a strong, feisty character that is easy to identify with. The plot twists are unexpected and budding romances, although transparent, are charming. Quite good for a freebie!
Maria
The Edge of Light opens in Missouri in 1838 as Molly McGarvie, mother of three (soon to be four), must face numerous struggles as a result of her husband Samuel dying of cholera. To survive she and her children leave Missouri for Illinois. Throughout the story, the characters remain true to themselves and are well written. I enjoyed each one, especially liking the interactions between Molly and her children. The descriptions of the various settings were nicely detailed and easily brought me back...more
Alisa
I forced myself to finish this one, but I really didn't like it. The main character, Molly, is supposed to be a strong, independent woman, yet she weakens at the thought of having to survive without her slave. She isn't likeable in the slightest. Her position on slavery boils down to "I want my slave to be free but still live with me and serve me," which is patently ridiculous and childish. A quick check on Baby Name Voyager shows that Amber (her neighbor in the story) was used as a name in the...more
Maritza
I enjoyed the book so much, about this widow who it seems at every turn new tragedy strikes, and the doctor who is drawn to her, but is afraid to show her how he feels.....such a great story, until the ending! It ended so abruptly I was like huh?? That's it?? I would have liked a little more closure, or even an epilogue ...for that 3 stars. Otherwise I did enjoy it.
Andrea Stoeckel
I have tried to post three reviews on this book, and they've all disappeared. Needless to save this is frustrating. The short version is this:widow forced out of late husband's estate by nasty brother. Moves to Illinois with her brother. Restablishes her life, doing the work of two to keep her family together.

I'd give this 4 1/2 stars. Not a bad book,its a sweet revisionist look at the early expansion into the midwest.
Cristina Besendorfer
Easy cadence in this novel helps the story feel real!

At first I found myself wanting to hurry the story along, but the depth of the storyline was needed for the reader to feel the changes happening to the characters. Ann Shorey has the special ability to lead the reader through life's struggles to arrive at a better place than would have been possible before their journey of grief, growth and the development of the characters. Well done.
Melissa J. Askew
LIKED THIS BOOK ALOT

LIKED THIS BOOK ALOT

I rated this book 5 stars, because I couldn't put it down once I started it, and can't wait to read the next one in her series!
Ann does such a wonderful job describing things, puts you right in the time period, such a Blessing to read her work.
Radella
Molly just can't seem to catch a break. Her husband dies, her brother-in-law is jealously taking everything, and she's heavily pregnant with three other children to take care of. Then, on the way to Illinois to live with her brother, one of her sons is lost and presumed dead. Things don't get much better, making Molly question her belief in God as she struggles to support her children.
It's a good period piece, the emphasis put on God and belief is rather light. It's understated and natural, ver...more
Lisa
As I read this book I thought about my children. When we had to up and sell all our belongings and move south, What would I have done if I had lost one of the kids? Could I have left the place I last saw them? Could I have had the faith Molly had?
This book hit home with me. It is very hard to leave the home you know and love. Leaving friends and family behind. But I see how much easier it was for me and my family. The hardships and true dangers Molly faced give the reader strength to know they...more
Jeanette
I downloaded this book when it was free and what a page turner it was. An engrossing story about a strong woman whose faith and stamina are both tested by the tragic events in her life. I shall look forward to reading more by this author.
Pam
I got this as a free Kindle book. You could call this book choppy at best. The first part of the book was very poorly written though it got better in the middle. The plot line seemed very impractical. I hated the ending.
Barbara
Story involves struggles and challenges of surviving loss of loved ones, financial loss, and loss of faith. Through it all, faith is rebuilt and realization of just how much God blesses us is realized.
Ruby Derouen
Good Book

Kept you guessing what would happen next. Inspired me to be a stronger person and stand stronger in my faith. Also taught me that God lights our path one step at a time.
Gail Keefe
This is a wonderful Christian novel about a young mother raising her children despite terrible hardships. It's the first in a series, and I'm anxious now to read the rest of them!
Georgann
Edge of Light

Great, clean story about a fiercely independent woman. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to escape into a great book with some history, that caught me by surprise!

Barbara Harmon
Great book!

Wonderful book, could not put it down. Kept your interest till the very end. Recommended reading for everyone wanting a good escape.
Barbara
This historical fiction novel set in the late 1830's held my interest, and overall seemed very accurate in its portrayal of the time period, although a little bit predictable at times. The portions touching on the underground railroad were especially interesting for me. It had more of a mixture of sadness and happiness than volume II of this series, which I found slightly too stanted toward the depressing side. The main character, Molly McGarvie, was a very strong, courageous, resilient woman th...more
Shawn
I had a hard time making myself finish this book, I think because I really couldn't find myself liking the character Molly. From the very beginning she set me on edge because she felt whiny and almost unlovable. I suppose that was part of the point of the book and her journey was to realize that in herself but there were points where I just wanted to shake her because she was on everyone else about looking out for her children when in fact she didn't do so herself and I understand that there com...more
  • The Triumph of Grace (Grace in Africa, #3)
  • Whisper on the Wind (The Great War, #2)
  • Somewhere to Belong (Daughters of Amana, #1)
  • Heart of Stone (Irish Angel, #1)
  • Surrender the Wind
  • The Homecoming
  • Valeria's Cross
  • Paper Roses (Texas Dreams, #1)
  • Making Waves (Lake Manawa Summers #1)
  • When All My Dreams Come True (Colorado Runaway, #1)
  • This Fine Life
  • No Place for a Lady (Heart of the West, #1)
  • A Vote of Confidence (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #1)
  • Breathe: A Novel of Colorado (The Homeward Trilogy, #1)
  • The Vigilante's Bride (Texas Rangers #1)
  • The Heart of Memory
  • The Heart of Thornton Creek (Queensland Chronicles #1)
  • A Hearth in Candlewood (Candlewood Trilogy, #1)
Where Wildflowers Bloom (Sisters at Heart, #1) The Promise of Morning (At Home in Beldon Grove, #2) The Dawn of a Dream (At Home in Beldon Grove, #3) When the Heart Heals (Sisters at Heart, #2) Love's Sweet Beginning (Sisters at Heart, #3)

“before, has it?” Molly shook her head. “No. But I still want him home.” She smiled at the sight of her three children napping on a coverlet spread over the grass. Late afternoon sun angled through the grove of redbud trees, painting shadow pictures across their faces. “Children! Time to wake up. We don’t want to be out after dark.” 0 likes
“Samuel said he was fixing to be gone a month.” “I worry something might happen to him.” “You’re borrowing trouble. Ain’t nothing ever happened before, has it?” 0 likes