Start by marking “The Edge of Light (At Home in Beldon Grove, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Edge of Light (At Home in Beldon Grove, #1)

The Edge of Light (At Home in Beldon Grove #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  858 ratings  ·  101 reviews
In this emotional historical novel, readers will be captivated by the strong spirit of Mollie McGarvey as she fights to survive loss and the hard ways of life on the prairie.
Published January 1st 2009 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about The Edge of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge of Light

Anne
I didn't really enjoy this one. Almost everything that happened in this book was depressing. It was hardship after hardship, and I never got attached to the characters. I didn't really care what happened to them, which isn't a very good thing to say if they are experiencing difficult times. When reading a story full of misfortunes, I want to sympathize and feel for the characters, but in this case I couldn't. There wasn't much character growth or development, and we never get to know them. The h ...more
Kristina Jo
Bonnie
The Edge of Light is a seamlessly written story of faith, courage and survival. The story begins in 1838 with Molly McGarvie, who lives in St. Lawrenceville, Missouri. When her husband Samuel dies she must find a way to provide for herself and her family. A woman of spirit and strength, Molly believes for the impossible and sets out on a journey that takes her and readers on a quest for a new life and a miracle.

Ann’s captivating writing style draws readers into the lives of Molly McGarvie, her
Karen
Thank you for picking me to win this book!

The story is about Molly McGarvie and her children after her husband, Samuel, dies. The family had made a life for themselves in 1836 and were living well. When her husband gets sick and dies she is left to raise her three children on her own, while being pregnant.
Samuel's brother does not do right by her and the children and takes the business her husband built away from her. She has no choice but to leave the town and find help from her brother.
I do
Allison
Synopsis:

It is the summer of 1838 in St. Lawrenceville, Missouri, and Molly McGarvie's life is about to change forever. When her beloved Samuel succumbs to cholera, Molly is heartbroken but resolves to take care of herself and her children.

When Samuel's unscrupulous brother takes over the family business and leaves Molly to fend for herself, she knows she must head out on her own. It is a dangerous journey, and along the way she must face the loss of another family member. Somehow she must find
Kathleen
I would like to thank you for chosing me to receive through Goodreads, The Edge of Light by Ann Shorey. I've read the book and enjoyed the charactor of Molly McGavie. During a time in our history were women are not thought to be able to take care of themselves let alone their family without a husband. For now Molly is determined to be on her own after the death of her husband and proves to everyone that it can be done. Thanks again and I'm looking forward to the 2nd in the series.
Christy
This was a gripping read. It is full of trials and tribulations. It is full of family and friends and neighbors triumphing with you and some without you. This is not a romance filled with gaining a spouse. There is a touch of finding love at the very end; just enough. It weaves around betrayal and loss and love to find you ever so glad you finally picked up this book. There wasn't a slow moment in this entire story; that's almost unheard of. This was a most memorable read.
Dianne Sidebottom
Different story line to stay interested in. Learnt a few interesting titbits. One being how they used turpentine to help with breathing difficulties and the other about how a state saw slaves. The book certainly brought up emotions in the dramas that happened. example of how the second brother/son thought his rights were with inheritance from the death of his brother, what freedom would really be like for a slave, what a girl would do to get away from the town she lived in, a voice that told you ...more
Southernbelle0326
Oct 22, 2008 Southernbelle0326 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Southernbelle0326 by: Bethany House Publishing
#1 At Home in Beldon Grove series
Ogz
This book is one tough one to review. I detest telling the summary of the story as a review so I'll try to write something about it.
I didn't enjoy it much. It was very difficult understanding the characters and I initially got confused about the characters. Some bits about the slavery needed a bit more work on research. I think I found the doctor okay. He would have been a possible Character to relate with. Molly in a way seemed very attached to people which I think the writer really did well to
Shari Larsen
It's the summer of 1838 in St.Lawerenceville, Missouri, when Molly McGarvie's life changes forever after her husband dies from cholera. Molly is heartbroken, but determined to take care of herself and her three children, and also her unborn child. But her unscrupulous brother in law cheats her out of the family business, and Molly has no choice but to make the dangerous journey to Illinois, where her older brother lives.

She is forced to leave behind Betsy, a slave who is also been her friend sin
Rachel Thompson
Louise
Story Description:

Baker Publishing Group | January 1, 2009 | Trade Paperback |ISBN 978-8007-3330-8

It is the summer of 1838 in St. Lawrenceville, Missouri, and Molly McGarvie's life is about to change forever. When her beloved Samuel succumbs to cholera, Molly is heartbroken but determined to take care of herself and her children. But when Samuel's unscrupulous brother takes over the family business and leaves Molly to fend for herself, she knows she must head out on her own. It is a dangerous jo
Tracy Smith
This story begins with Molly McGarvie facing the tragic loss and love of her husband, Samuel, leaving her with three small children and one on the way to care for. She must learn to struggle without him through many losses, including that of a dear friend who also happens to be a young slave woman who has been by her side since she was very young. Molly, with her borher Matthew's help, moves on to Beldon Grove, where she faces many more challenges. Here, she will find with faith and lots of hope ...more
Margaret
Much in the same way as Siri Mitchell write Regency novels that are incredibly depressing, but historically accurate and visual new novelist Ann Shorey does the same on the American Frontier. Through out my experience in reading this novel I was sad and heartbroken with the characters as one thing happened after another. It reminded me of childhood playing of the game Oregon Trail as you could do nothing but let life take things away. At first I was curious what could possibly happen that would ...more
April
Free Kindle download.

The story begins with the heroine's husband dying from cholera, and she's left to fend for herself and her children. It's quite a struggle since her brother-in-law, who had always been covetous of what his brother had in material goods, isn't very helpful with taking care of his brother's widow. Since everything has been left to him, and he's not feeling charitable, the heroine and her family are essentially kicked out of house and home, and she's forced to part with her bel
elaine m. suda
Heartwarming and inspirational

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It held my interest from beginning to end. It showed how the love and caring of your family and friends helped you through the dark and difficult times of your life. But most of all how God provides you with the desires of your heart even when His plans are not what you had planned. God always gives us so much more, we just have to believe. I will read more of Ann Shorey's books.

Jeanette
Charming page turner

Charming page turner

Molly becomes a young widow of three children, expecting and finds herself homeless and without the comfort of her childhood friend...her slave, she plans to free. Molly is a strong, feisty character that is easy to identify with. The plot twists are unexpected and budding romances, although transparent, are charming. Quite good for a freebie!
Maria
The Edge of Light opens in Missouri in 1838 as Molly McGarvie, mother of three (soon to be four), must face numerous struggles as a result of her husband Samuel dying of cholera. To survive she and her children leave Missouri for Illinois. Throughout the story, the characters remain true to themselves and are well written. I enjoyed each one, especially liking the interactions between Molly and her children. The descriptions of the various settings were nicely detailed and easily brought me back ...more
Alisa
I forced myself to finish this one, but I really didn't like it. The main character, Molly, is supposed to be a strong, independent woman, yet she weakens at the thought of having to survive without her slave. She isn't likeable in the slightest. Her position on slavery boils down to "I want my slave to be free but still live with me and serve me," which is patently ridiculous and childish. A quick check on Baby Name Voyager shows that Amber (her neighbor in the story) was used as a name in the ...more
Maritza
I enjoyed the book so much, about this widow who it seems at every turn new tragedy strikes, and the doctor who is drawn to her, but is afraid to show her how he feels.....such a great story, until the ending! It ended so abruptly I was like huh?? That's it?? I would have liked a little more closure, or even an epilogue ...for that 3 stars. Otherwise I did enjoy it.
Lisa C.
I had a difficult time rating this book. It wasn't a bad book, just way too depressing. One tragedy after another followed Molly, all in a few months time. I realize all was not roses and life was tough in the west, especially for a young widow woman with four kids, but this was too much. The characters were well written and the descriptions were good.
Andrea Stoeckel
I have tried to post three reviews on this book, and they've all disappeared. Needless to save this is frustrating. The short version is this:widow forced out of late husband's estate by nasty brother. Moves to Illinois with her brother. Restablishes her life, doing the work of two to keep her family together.

I'd give this 4 1/2 stars. Not a bad book,its a sweet revisionist look at the early expansion into the midwest.
Cristina Besendorfer
Easy cadence in this novel helps the story feel real!

At first I found myself wanting to hurry the story along, but the depth of the storyline was needed for the reader to feel the changes happening to the characters. Ann Shorey has the special ability to lead the reader through life's struggles to arrive at a better place than would have been possible before their journey of grief, growth and the development of the characters. Well done.
Joan Arning
I thoroughly enjoyed this historical novel about a young woman whose husband dies leaving her pregnant with her fourth child. She has no choice but to move from Missouri to Illinois where her minister brother lives. Along the way, one of her children goes missing. She faces many decisions about caring for her young family.
Karen Chism
It kept my interest until the end, however I was a bit disappointed. Big build up of several life changing events that were hastily disposed of as if the author was on a dead line. If this is Ann's first novel she does show promise in the future. Maybe she could develop the progression of events to be more understandable.
MA
LIKED THIS BOOK ALOT

LIKED THIS BOOK ALOT

I rated this book 5 stars, because I couldn't put it down once I started it, and can't wait to read the next one in her series!
Ann does such a wonderful job describing things, puts you right in the time period, such a Blessing to read her work.
nancy dake
A quick role-playing read

Not a deep or complicated story, but interesting enough to keep me reading. I caught myself comparing myself to the main character and figuring out what I'd do if it were me. I was drawn to some character and repelled by others. it was a fun read, purely entertaining.
margaret Klein
My Heavens!

"The Edge of Light" by Ann Shorey, I did like the story, but I find that when the entire storyline is about the multiplied painful event that happens to the main character, it becomes rather painful to read and watch. No one should have to go through that much pain and suffering.
Radella
Molly just can't seem to catch a break. Her husband dies, her brother-in-law is jealously taking everything, and she's heavily pregnant with three other children to take care of. Then, on the way to Illinois to live with her brother, one of her sons is lost and presumed dead. Things don't get much better, making Molly question her belief in God as she struggles to support her children.
It's a good period piece, the emphasis put on God and belief is rather light. It's understated and natural, ver
  • Whisper on the Wind (The Great War, #2)
  • The Triumph of Grace (Grace in Africa, #3)
  • The Homecoming
  • Heart of Stone (Irish Angel, #1)
  • Paper Roses (Texas Dreams, #1)
  • Somewhere to Belong (Daughters of Amana, #1)
  • Valeria's Cross
  • A Vote of Confidence (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #1)
  • Making Waves (Lake Manawa Summers #1)
  • When All My Dreams Come True (Colorado Runaway, #1)
  • The Vigilante's Bride (Texas Rangers #1)
  • This Fine Life
  • Embers of Love (Striking a Match, #1)
  • Highland Blessings (Highlands #1)
  • Troublesome Creek (Troublesome Creek, #1)
  • Breathe: A Novel of Colorado (The Homeward Trilogy, #1)
  • No Place for a Lady (Heart of the West, #1)
  • Surrender the Wind
Where Wildflowers Bloom (Sisters at Heart, #1) When the Heart Heals (Sisters at Heart, #2) The Promise of Morning (At Home in Beldon Grove, #2) Love's Sweet Beginning (Sisters at Heart, #3) The Dawn of a Dream (At Home in Beldon Grove, #3)

“before, has it?” Molly shook her head. “No. But I still want him home.” She smiled at the sight of her three children napping on a coverlet spread over the grass. Late afternoon sun angled through the grove of redbud trees, painting shadow pictures across their faces. “Children! Time to wake up. We don’t want to be out after dark.” 0 likes
“Samuel said he was fixing to be gone a month.” “I worry something might happen to him.” “You’re borrowing trouble. Ain’t nothing ever happened before, has it?” 0 likes