Start by marking “Shadow of the Mountains (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #2)” as Want to Read:
Shadow of the Mountains (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #2)

Shadow of the Mountains (Cheney Duvall, M.D. #2)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  854 ratings  ·  23 reviews
With Few Allies, Cheney Faces Two Enemies:Superstition and Greed

Cheney Duvall proved to be an excellent doctor to "Mercer’s Belles" on the sea voyage to Washington Territory, but doors of further opportunity remained shut. Despite having graduated with honors from a prestigious university as one of only a handful of female physicians in 1865, Cheney continues to find herse

Published February 2nd 2008 by Bethany House Publishers (first published October 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow of the Mountains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow of the Mountains

Gwen
I hated this book growing up (what do you mean, Shiloh likes someone else?!), but a reread as an adult made me appreciate it slightly more. I enjoyed how Shiloh elected to be on his own, forging his character without Cheney. While I didn't quite buy the romance between Maeva and Shiloh (they really didn't seem to have all that much interaction, at least shared with the reader), I liked that the authors attempted to have him form attachments separate from his character foil, Cheney--who I could h ...more
Dawn Michelle
This is my least favorite of the books. I hardly ever re-read it. I don't like the story and I don't like how Cheney is portrayed here. Its probably just me, but I really dislike it and have from the first time I read it. Weird.
Elyssa
Probably my least favorite in the series but it's worth the read if you want to follow along :P
Shoujo85
** This is just a QUICK REVIEW of my thoughts on the book **

Re-reading this series I find I don't like it as much as I used to. I’m not sure if I’m just too jaded now or if I was simply young enough then to love it without noticing the flaws….

Anyway, I didn’t really like this particular book in the series the first time I read it but I liked it even less this time! (view spoiler)
Ashley Carmichael
This book breaks my heart. And that's all I can say without spoilers...though I will say beware of page 196. It's got the saddest line--and to be honest though this adds a lot of depth to the characters and their friendship/relationship it is bittersweet. Well done by the authors, but heart wrenching and hard to swallow for the readers b
Rebekah
I was kind of disappointed with this one...it was not near as good as the first. The story plot was okay but not quite as gripping as some. Also there was a romance going on between 2 people that literally just met and I HATE when that happens! It was still good and I enjoyed reading it but it's not a favorite.
Mary Ann
The second book of this series didn't show up anywhere in my searches except in a collection format. I probably enjoyed this book so much because it took place in the Ozarks and I grew up in the foothills of those mountains. It was very much a historical viewpoint and a great story too boot!
Kwynnci Bryant
This book in priticular, i didn't think it was that bad. The beginning of it i did not know what to think. I continued through it and it did get better. But i didn't love it soo much on the second book. I usaully try to finish books but the second one i didn't.
Laurie
Cheney goes to a town made up of mountain people, to become their doctor. To also help a friend who is expecting a child. Though Cheny soon finds out the mountain people are very Leary of new comers. She has a long way to go to prove they can trust her.
Karol
Thoroughly enjoyed this book -- kind of a light read, but the characters are engaging. Perfect reading for vacation time, as I discovered reading this while on a bus with a tour group!
Erin
Thou I've read this series before, apparently I've missed a lot! Decided to get this book on audio and whoa what a story! Can't wait to dive back into this series!
Melissa
I used to like this series a lot. It does have some funny moments/characters and interesting plot points, but it is also rather on the feminist and romantic side.
Rachel
This is probably my least favorite Cheney Duvall book, but I have to admit that there are some very good new characters and Cheney and Shiloh really mature.
Kerry
This one was ok. I liked the 1st book in the series better. There are several more books in the series - but not sure I'll ever get to them. We'll see.
Christin
I have reread this series countless times and I think I've only read this book once or twice. I didn't love what they did to Cheney/Shiloh.
Michelle
neat story-similar to Christy sometimes-good setting-sequel?
Rachel
About a blood fued and the people caught between them.
Blake
I liked this one much better than stars for a light.
Becky
read this again for the first time since college
Britni
Loved the Characters.
Elizabeth
Totally awesome books!
Anita
audio book 12 hours
Kelvey
Kelvey is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2015
Page
Page marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
  • Under Eastern Stars (Heart of India, #2)
  • The Reluctant Bridegroom: 1838 (The House of Winslow #7)
  • Puritans (American Family Portrait #1)
  • A Hope Beyond (Ribbons of Steel, #2)

Lynn Morris (born 1954) is a Christian fiction author. She is the daughter of Gilbert Morris and has co-written with him on most of her books.

Series:
* Cheney Duvall, M.D. (with Gilbert Morris)
* Cheney and Shiloh: The Inheritance (with Gilbert Morris)
* The Creole (with Gilbert Morris)
* Omega (with Gilbert Morri
More about Lynn Morris...

Cheney Duvall, M.D. (8 books)
  • The Stars for a Light (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #1)
  • A City Not Forsaken (Cheney Duvall, M.D. Series #3)
  • Toward the Sunrising (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #4)
  • Secret Place of Thunder: (Cheney Duvall, M.D. #5)
  • In the Twilight, in the Evening (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #6)
  • Island of the Innocent (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #7)
  • Driven With the Wind  (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #8)
The Stars for a Light (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #1) A City Not Forsaken (Cheney Duvall, M.D. Series #3) Island of the Innocent (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #7) Secret Place of Thunder: (Cheney Duvall, M.D. #5) Toward the Sunrising (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #4)

“So many men treat their wives badly, or indifferently, or with barely contained impatience. Josh doesn't mind-- no that's not right--he insists on openly showing his love and respect for me.” 16 likes