Start by marking “Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash” as Want to Read:
Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash

Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash (Mrs. McNosh)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  442 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Each Monday at dawn, Mrs. Nelly McNosh brings out a barrel and does a big wash.Mrs. McNosh's wash is certainly big-and definitely wacky. You'll be surprised to see what is hanging on her clothesline by the end of the day!

Sarah Weeks's hilarious tale, complemented by Nadine Bernard Westcott's lighthearted illustrations, is perfect for reading aloud.
Published May 7th 2002 by HarperCollins (first published January 28th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash

The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsHarry the Dirty Dog by Gene ZionAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith ViorstMiss Nelson Is Missing! by Harry Allard
Best Picture Books ages 4-8
36th out of 83 books — 11 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGo, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanAre You My Mother? by P.D. EastmanPat the Bunny by Dorothy KunhardtThe Star by Michele Breza
Best Picture Books ages 1-3
31st out of 41 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Slayermel
Oct 15, 2010 Slayermel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of young children and preschool teachers
This book is absolutely hilarious and had me chuckling the whole way through. The story is about Mrs. McNosh who hangs up her wash every Monday. I seem to really enjoy silly rhyming books. I find them catchy and very clever most of the time. It’s amazing to see the other items Mrs. McNosh decides to hang up with her wash. :0)

The illustrations are eye catching and quite amusing, and the story flows from page to page with its rhymes. This is a very quick read, which the children in my class just l
Susan
Apr 03, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
This is too fun. I'm out looking for a group of kids to read it to...
Lisa Rathbun
This is a cute and funny story with rhythmical rhyming stanzas on each page. After hanging up her wash, Mrs. McNosh proceeds to hang up everything else in sight. My two-year-old loves this story, although I would think many of the items would be confusing to her, such as the "old-style" phone with twirly cord and Grandpa's removeable teeth! The only thing she has questioned, though, is the large turkey (plucked and ready for cooking) that Mrs. McNosh also hangs on the line. Emma said, "Baby!" an ...more
Darlina Tato
Feb 29, 2012 Darlina Tato rated it it was amazing
I liked this book. I really enjoyed the storyline and the rhyme that was in the story. This book is about McNosh washing and hanging everything up to get dry. She did all her house chores and at the end she took a deep rest and looked at her clean house. This book would be great for secondary children because it is a little long and the child needs to do lots of reading. The colors in this book are faded and not very clear to see. The book looks like it has been colored by a child as a coloring ...more
Anastasia (Here There Be Books)
Read this to two kindergarten classes. Don't know if I went too fast or what, but I got the sense they didn't entirely get it. Maybe should read two or three times and really emphasis the rhymes, point out silly things on the laundry line, etc.
Rachel Dalton
This is simply a fun (and funny) book that brings lots of laughter in a preschool or primary classroom. It is also a rhyming book. I might use this story to prompt a rhyming activity where students think of their own items to hang up on the clothes line.
QuaNiyah Cooke
Jul 07, 2015 QuaNiyah Cooke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rymthing-words
This book is fun to read to a young child. The story line is full of rhyming words that will cause children to participate in guessing the next word ! Highly recommended in a small group lesson about rhyming .
Karen
Aug 12, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
I remember reading this book out loud for story time and having a roomful of preschoolers break out into belly laughs. This book is silliness done right.
Miss Sarah
Every Monday Mrs. Mcnosh hangs up everything in site including herself in a lawn chair. Too silly.
MJ
Nov 15, 2015 MJ rated it liked it
Alissa loved it because it's funny; she hung up a live bat.
Cindy
Aug 27, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it
LOL. How creative this author is...Utterly loved it.
Jessica Nekuda
Mar 30, 2015 Jessica Nekuda rated it it was amazing
such a silly rhyming book :)
Chris K Polizzi
$2.00 Book Rack
Dolly
Mar 19, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, humor, rhyming, 2014
This is a humorous and silly story about a woman who washes and hangs up literally everything on the clothes line. The rhyming narrative is fun to read aloud and we are always fans of Nadine Bernard Westcott's illustrations. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Andy Lee
Mar 26, 2013 Andy Lee rated it really liked it
This is a fun little book for your pre-k or kinder child. The only thing is it sounds sort of scary when Mrs. McNosh hangs herself up, although younger ears might not think of "hanging oneself" with the same connotation that an adult might. Didn't realize there were more in this series. My daughter and I enjoyed Mrs. McNosh and her Giant Squash as well.
Bookfanatic
Jun 01, 2013 Bookfanatic rated it it was amazing
One of my child's favorite books. It's also a book I don't mind reading as a parent. It's sweet and funny. Toddlers to second graders might enjoy this. The story, written in funny rhymes, is about a woman who washes everything including wacky things like the telephone, the dog's bone, and even some bats. The illustrations are perfectly whimsical.
Carman
Follow Mrs. McNosh as she rhymes through the wash. Yes, she hangs skirts and shirts, but kids will be surprised at the other things she adds to the clothesline. Great rhyming and the pictures are true to the story. Good for ESOL and developing readers.
Melissa
Oct 04, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My Preschool Playgroup kids love this book when I pair it with an activity. We hang up different items on our own wash line---clothes and other silly items. (Items are pictures of the items, not the real thing.) They play with this over and over.
Frogs
Jul 26, 2008 Frogs rated it it was amazing
This was my absolute favorite book when I was little. It is funnier than funny to me. I made my mom read it so much that she finally made the rule that we would only read it three times a day. To this day, she can still recite the book.
Glennisha
Extremely funny. Children love to hear this book read aloud to them. It is very silly and funny, rhyming story about a woman who hangs literally everything, including herself, on the clothesline. :)
Good read for the spring time
Jessica Allen
Jun 08, 2011 Jessica Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spring
Funny, funny, funny. Children would love to hear this book read aloud to them. It is very silly and fun. The rhyming is very catchy as well. This book would be good to read during the spring time toward the end of a school year.
Kirstin Kemppainen
Mrs. McNosh hangs up some pretty silly things on her clothes line. This book is very predictable and all of the pictures go along with the text so student's will be able to read larger words than normally with picture support.
Katie Plumley
* Cute for sequencing! In which order did Mrs. McNosh hang up everything?
* Teach rhymes: Let students finish the sentences!
* Creative writing: Have students think of other funny things that Mrs. McNosh hangs up!
Mary Sesar
Dec 16, 2011 Mary Sesar rated it really liked it
This book is about Mrs. Mcnosh who hangs up everything that comes into site. It's something kids will love because it's funny. This can be used to teach younger children about what different objects are.
Lucia
Feb 10, 2011 Lucia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
A funny, rhyming story about a woman who hangs literally everything, including herself, on the clothesline. I have to say I don't know why, but this is a frequent request at bedtime from my kids!
Lindsey
Mar 18, 2013 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Mrs. McNosh seems to go a little overboard while hanging up her wash. I think younger students would really like this story because it's pretty funny. I like how the book rhymes as well.
Rachel
Apr 01, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
This picture book tells the story of Mrs. McMaNosh and how she hangs up her "wash". The rhyming stanzas on each page, along with the humor keeps readers engaged with the story.
Tricia
Feb 21, 2009 Tricia rated it really liked it
so fun, we had to read it twice. excellent fun for readaloud for perhaps threes. she hangs up more than the wash in this brightly illustrated and cleverly rhyming book.
Shaley Dunn
Mar 18, 2013 Shaley Dunn rated it liked it
This would be a great book to work on reading with a lower level. It is very repetitive, but it uses different words for each page, still keeping some of the words the same.
jacky
Jun 09, 2010 jacky rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, tv
Saw it on Read Between the Lions. A cute rhyming story about handing up wash, only Mrs. McNosh hangs up some silly things, too! Nice colorful illustrations.
  • The Pig in the Pond Big Book
  • Under My Hood I Have a Hat
  • The Flea's Sneeze
  • The Wolf's Chicken Stew
  • Ducks Don't Wear Socks
  • Commotion in the Ocean (Picture Books)
  • The Principal's New Clothes
  • Love, Ruby Valentine
  • Hilda Must Be Dancing
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • Down by the Cool of the Pool
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Ask Mr. Bear
  • Good-Night, Owl!
Sarah Weeks has been writing children’s books and songs for the past twenty years. She is a graduate of Hampshire College and NYU and recently became an adjunct faculty member in the prestigious Writing Program at the New School University, in New York City.

Her first YA novel, So B. It, which appeared on the LA Times bestseller list was chosen as an ALA Best Book for Young Adults and received the
More about Sarah Weeks...

Mrs. McNosh (3 books)