Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash

Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash (Mrs. McNosh)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Each Monday at dawn, Mrs. Nelly McNosh brings out a barrel and does a big wash.Mrs. McNosh's wash is certainly big-and definitely wacky. You'll be surprised to see what is hanging on her clothesline by the end of the day!

Sarah Weeks's hilarious tale, complemented by Nadine Bernard Westcott's lighthearted illustrations, is perfect for reading aloud.
Published May 7th 2002 by HarperCollins (first published January 28th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash

The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneHarry the Dirty Dog by Gene ZionDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyHans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales by Hans Christian Andersen
Best Picture Books ages 4-8
31st out of 76 books — 9 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGo, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanAre You My Mother? by P.D. EastmanPat the Bunny by Dorothy KunhardtGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Picture Books ages 1-3
27th out of 38 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Slayermel
Oct 15, 2010 Slayermel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of young children and preschool teachers
This book is absolutely hilarious and had me chuckling the whole way through. The story is about Mrs. McNosh who hangs up her wash every Monday. I seem to really enjoy silly rhyming books. I find them catchy and very clever most of the time. It’s amazing to see the other items Mrs. McNosh decides to hang up with her wash. :0)

The illustrations are eye catching and quite amusing, and the story flows from page to page with its rhymes. This is a very quick read, which the children in my class just l...more
Susan
This is too fun. I'm out looking for a group of kids to read it to...
Lisa Rathbun
This is a cute and funny story with rhythmical rhyming stanzas on each page. After hanging up her wash, Mrs. McNosh proceeds to hang up everything else in sight. My two-year-old loves this story, although I would think many of the items would be confusing to her, such as the "old-style" phone with twirly cord and Grandpa's removeable teeth! The only thing she has questioned, though, is the large turkey (plucked and ready for cooking) that Mrs. McNosh also hangs on the line. Emma said, "Baby!" an...more
Darlina Tato
I liked this book. I really enjoyed the storyline and the rhyme that was in the story. This book is about McNosh washing and hanging everything up to get dry. She did all her house chores and at the end she took a deep rest and looked at her clean house. This book would be great for secondary children because it is a little long and the child needs to do lots of reading. The colors in this book are faded and not very clear to see. The book looks like it has been colored by a child as a coloring...more
Rachel Dalton
This is simply a fun (and funny) book that brings lots of laughter in a preschool or primary classroom. It is also a rhyming book. I might use this story to prompt a rhyming activity where students think of their own items to hang up on the clothes line.
Oblongata
LOL. How creative this author is...Utterly loved it.
Dolly
Mar 19, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2014, childrens, humor, rhyming
This is a humorous and silly story about a woman who washes and hangs up literally everything on the clothes line. The rhyming narrative is fun to read aloud and we are always fans of Nadine Bernard Westcott's illustrations. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Andy Lee
This is a fun little book for your pre-k or kinder child. The only thing is it sounds sort of scary when Mrs. McNosh hangs herself up, although younger ears might not think of "hanging oneself" with the same connotation that an adult might. Didn't realize there were more in this series. My daughter and I enjoyed Mrs. McNosh and her Giant Squash as well.
Bookfanatic
One of my child's favorite books. It's also a book I don't mind reading as a parent. It's sweet and funny. Toddlers to second graders might enjoy this. The story, written in funny rhymes, is about a woman who washes everything including wacky things like the telephone, the dog's bone, and even some bats. The illustrations are perfectly whimsical.
Carman
Follow Mrs. McNosh as she rhymes through the wash. Yes, she hangs skirts and shirts, but kids will be surprised at the other things she adds to the clothesline. Great rhyming and the pictures are true to the story. Good for ESOL and developing readers.
Melissa
My Preschool Playgroup kids love this book when I pair it with an activity. We hang up different items on our own wash line---clothes and other silly items. (Items are pictures of the items, not the real thing.) They play with this over and over.
Frogs
This was my absolute favorite book when I was little. It is funnier than funny to me. I made my mom read it so much that she finally made the rule that we would only read it three times a day. To this day, she can still recite the book.
Glennisha
Extremely funny. Children love to hear this book read aloud to them. It is very silly and funny, rhyming story about a woman who hangs literally everything, including herself, on the clothesline. :)
Good read for the spring time
Jessica Allen
Funny, funny, funny. Children would love to hear this book read aloud to them. It is very silly and fun. The rhyming is very catchy as well. This book would be good to read during the spring time toward the end of a school year.
Kirstin Kemppainen
Mrs. McNosh hangs up some pretty silly things on her clothes line. This book is very predictable and all of the pictures go along with the text so student's will be able to read larger words than normally with picture support.
Katie Plumley
* Cute for sequencing! In which order did Mrs. McNosh hang up everything?
* Teach rhymes: Let students finish the sentences!
* Creative writing: Have students think of other funny things that Mrs. McNosh hangs up!
Mary Sesar
This book is about Mrs. Mcnosh who hangs up everything that comes into site. It's something kids will love because it's funny. This can be used to teach younger children about what different objects are.
Lucia
A funny, rhyming story about a woman who hangs literally everything, including herself, on the clothesline. I have to say I don't know why, but this is a frequent request at bedtime from my kids!
Lindsey
Mrs. McNosh seems to go a little overboard while hanging up her wash. I think younger students would really like this story because it's pretty funny. I like how the book rhymes as well.
Rachel
This picture book tells the story of Mrs. McMaNosh and how she hangs up her "wash". The rhyming stanzas on each page, along with the humor keeps readers engaged with the story.
Tricia
so fun, we had to read it twice. excellent fun for readaloud for perhaps threes. she hangs up more than the wash in this brightly illustrated and cleverly rhyming book.
Shaley Dunn
This would be a great book to work on reading with a lower level. It is very repetitive, but it uses different words for each page, still keeping some of the words the same.
jacky
Saw it on Read Between the Lions. A cute rhyming story about handing up wash, only Mrs. McNosh hangs up some silly things, too! Nice colorful illustrations.
Katie Shaw
This book would make a great read aloud! The rhyming pattern will have students guessing what Mrs. McNosh will hang up on her line next. Funny and engaging!
Boni
A read-aloud that I never get tired of reading. This should be a storytime staple for toddlers and preschoolers. The humor is just perfect for them.
Felicia
This is a silly book. The fours and threes will yell that those are not things you hang on a line. They think it is so funny ( and so do I)
Sandi
Feb 09, 2012 Sandi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pre-K and up. :)
Mrs. McNosh hangs up her wash...and just about everything else she gets her hands on. A funny, begs to be read-aloud, kind of a book!
Lydia
When i was little, just like 5 little monkeys jumping on the bed, my mom read it to me and it cheered me up soooooo fast!!!!
Susan
A fun read, a rollicking rhyme, the absurdities will delight children at preschool storytime as well as young class visitors.
  • AlphaOops!: The Day Z Went First
  • Let's Play In The Forest While The Wolf Is Not Around
  • A Frog in the Bog
  • Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed
  • Mrs. Wishy-Washy
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Rumble in the Jungle
  • Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee
  • The Wolf's Chicken Stew
  • Ducks Don't Wear Socks
  • The Flea's Sneeze
Sarah Weeks has been writing children’s books and songs for the past twenty years. She is a graduate of Hampshire College and NYU and recently became an adjunct faculty member in the prestigious Writing Program at the New School University, in New York City.

Her first YA novel, So B. It, which appeared on the LA Times bestseller list was chosen as an ALA Best Book for Young Adults and received the...more
More about Sarah Weeks...
So B. It Pie As Simple as It Seems Oggie Cooder Jumping the Scratch