Start by marking “World Leader Pretend: A Novel” as Want to Read:
World Leader Pretend: A Novel

World Leader Pretend: A Novel

With over 100 million players world wide, virtual games are more than just a niche community, it's phenomenon. Now comes the first novel set in the world of virtual gaming World Leader Pretend.
Xeres Meticula is a failure. A casualty of the dot.com bust, he now lives in his parents' basement and spends all day on one pursuit, winning The Realm. Fortunately he's not alone. J
Published February 20th 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about World Leader Pretend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World Leader Pretend

Boyd
Nov 03, 2008 Boyd added it
Shelves: abandonedbooks
I'm getting close to abandoning this book. The style is getting increasingly annoying. The continuous amplification/repetition technique has gotten old. At first it was somewhat novel, but it's in, literally, every single paragraph.

Example from pg. 74 (though I could literally turn to any page in the book and find a similar piece of writing):
"The gems of aqua were gone. The gems that contained within them the ocean, the sea primordial, the oneness, the wholeness, the soup from which all life beg
Frank
Feb 26, 2008 Frank rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down

It's not easy for me to review a friend's book, especially fiction (as you'll see from my other reviews, I've exclusively posted reviews of non-fiction). I've known Jim for about a dozen years so it was kind of a guilty voyeuristic experience to read the book and try to pry out the biographical from the pure flights of fancy.

Some of the objective reasons why I think it's a worthwhile read and why others may love it as much as I did:

- the writing style and observations ar
John Orman
Oct 09, 2013 John Orman rated it really liked it
The virtual game is played in the Realm among ardent online gamers, who connected by very diverse in background and intention. Then tragedy strikes one of the competitors, and both online and offline worlds become very complicated!

I learned a lot about online games--and the odd psychology of those who immerse their real lives in them!
jim
Aug 07, 2007 jim rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: gamer nerds and sci-fi folks
A great read that explores varied players of a fictional text-based online strategy game. Since this is his first novel, there were times when the author was reaching, but overall it's well-thought out and intriguing. There are some squicky parts that would definitely inspire a word of caution, especially for the feminists in the house! Not for everyone, but definitely for me.
Nicole Nelson
Jan 27, 2015 Nicole Nelson rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I was oddly surprised at how this book turned itself around so many times. There were parts throughout where I thought, "I don't know how much more of this I can read..." & other times when I couldn't put it down! Especially the last few chapters were absolutely delightful. I would definitely recommend to anyone and everyone.
David Vincent
Sep 15, 2011 David Vincent rated it really liked it
Like a DFW on speed.

It is unlike anything I've read.

It's in a style not for everyone but PC Gamers and programmers and such.

I liked it.
Alley
May 14, 2007 Alley rated it really liked it
you think it's just about dorky gamers, and it is, but it's much smarter than either being mired in game culture or pretending to be above it. it's neither.
Abby
Jul 28, 2010 Abby rated it it was ok
Not a replacement for infinite jest, as the cover promised. Couldve been an interesting story if it hadn't been so cripplingly, poorly written.
Peter De Jong
Peter De Jong rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2007
Jim Sanders
Jim Sanders rated it really liked it
May 20, 2012
Will
Will rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2008
Bart Roegner
Bart Roegner rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2015
Grey Walker
Grey Walker rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2010
Andrew Eberle
Andrew Eberle rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2007
Marty Cortinas
Marty Cortinas rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2015
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2008
Vincent Truman
Vincent Truman rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2012
Shira Lipkin
Shira Lipkin rated it it was ok
Nov 01, 2008
Darby
Darby rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2007
Ken
Ken rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2007
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2013
James Frost
Nov 07, 2011 James Frost rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Christopher Taylor
Christopher Taylor rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Cynthia (Worries A Lot)
Cynthia (Worries A Lot) rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2011
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2007
Joanna Vaught
Joanna Vaught rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2010
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2013
JDW Williams
JDW Williams rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2007
Bradley
Bradley rated it liked it
May 27, 2008
Jacques
Jacques rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2012
James Bernard Frost is the author of the novels A Very Minor Prophet and World Leader Pretend, as well as the vegetarian guidebook, The Artichoke Trail, which won a Lowell Thomas Award for travel journalism. His articles, essays, and fiction have appeared in periodicals and journals as varied as Wired, the San Francisco Examiner, SF Weekly, the Official Magazine of World of Warcraft, The Nervous B ...more
More about James Bernard Frost...