Start by marking “World Leader Pretend: A Novel” as Want to Read:
World Leader Pretend: A Novel

World Leader Pretend: A Novel

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  7 reviews
With over 100 million players world wide, virtual games are more than just a niche community, it's phenomenon. Now comes the first novel set in the world of virtual gaming World Leader Pretend.
Xeres Meticula is a failure. A casualty of the dot.com bust, he now lives in his parents' basement and spends all day on one pursuit, winning The Realm. Fortunately he's not alone.Jo
Published February 20th 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about World Leader Pretend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World Leader Pretend

Boyd
Nov 05, 2008 Boyd added it
Shelves: abandonedbooks
I'm getting close to abandoning this book. The style is getting increasingly annoying. The continuous amplification/repetition technique has gotten old. At first it was somewhat novel, but it's in, literally, every single paragraph.

Example from pg. 74 (though I could literally turn to any page in the book and find a similar piece of writing):
"The gems of aqua were gone. The gems that contained within them the ocean, the sea primordial, the oneness, the wholeness, the soup from which all life beg
Frank
I couldn't put it down

It's not easy for me to review a friend's book, especially fiction (as you'll see from my other reviews, I've exclusively posted reviews of non-fiction). I've known Jim for about a dozen years so it was kind of a guilty voyeuristic experience to read the book and try to pry out the biographical from the pure flights of fancy.

Some of the objective reasons why I think it's a worthwhile read and why others may love it as much as I did:

- the writing style and observations ar
jim
Aug 13, 2007 jim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: gamer nerds and sci-fi folks
A great read that explores varied players of a fictional text-based online strategy game. Since this is his first novel, there were times when the author was reaching, but overall it's well-thought out and intriguing. There are some squicky parts that would definitely inspire a word of caution, especially for the feminists in the house! Not for everyone, but definitely for me.
John Orman
The virtual game is played in the Realm among ardent online gamers, who connected by very diverse in background and intention. Then tragedy strikes one of the competitors, and both online and offline worlds become very complicated!

I learned a lot about online games--and the odd psychology of those who immerse their real lives in them!
Alley
you think it's just about dorky gamers, and it is, but it's much smarter than either being mired in game culture or pretending to be above it. it's neither.
David Vincent
Like a DFW on speed.

It is unlike anything I've read.

It's in a style not for everyone but PC Gamers and programmers and such.

I liked it.
Abby
Not a replacement for infinite jest, as the cover promised. Couldve been an interesting story if it hadn't been so cripplingly, poorly written.
Sentimental Surrealist
Sentimental Surrealist marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
David Dirgo
David Dirgo marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Drew
Drew marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 03, 2013
Dulcie Pavuluri
Dulcie Pavuluri marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2012
Rhonda Hughes
Rhonda Hughes marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2012
James Frost
Nov 07, 2011 James Frost rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Brianna
Brianna marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2011
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2010
James Bernard Frost is the author of the novels A Very Minor Prophet and World Leader Pretend, as well as the vegetarian guidebook, The Artichoke Trail, which won a Lowell Thomas Award for travel journalism. His articles, essays, and fiction have appeared in periodicals and journals as varied as Wired, the San Francisco Examiner, SF Weekly, the Official Magazine of World of Warcraft, The Nervous B ...more
More about James Bernard Frost...
A Very Minor Prophet: A Novel The Artichoke Trail: A Guide to Vegetarian Restaurants, Organic Food Stores & Farmer's Markets in the US America's Southwest: The Best Organic Food Stores, Farmers' Markets & Vegetarian Restaurants America's Midwest: The Best Organic Food Stores, Farmers' Markets & Vegetarian Restaurants Idaho, Montana, Oregon & Washington: The Best Organic Food Stores, Farmers' Markets & Vegetarian Restaurants