Start by marking “Blood Rose (Clare Hart, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blood Rose (Clare Hart, #2)

Blood Rose (Clare Hart #2)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A breathtaking, atmospheric thriller and a stunning return for investigator Dr Clare Hart. The gruesome murder of a homeless teenage boy suggests a methodical serial killer is at work in Walvis Bay, a depressed port, isolated in the vast sweep of the Namib Desert. It is a corrupt, claustrophobic place with a shifting population of people who came here only because they had ...more
Published February 1st 2010 by Atlantic (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Rose

Jayne Bauling
This is the third of Orford's Clare Hart thrillers that I've read, and the best yet. She's an author you can count on to deliver. Blood Rose is typically atmospheric, the evocative setting heightening the sense of menace that is one of Orford's trademarks.

Walvis Bay, the Namib Desert, fogs, winds, burning heat and old and dirty secrets - all contribute to the suspense, as a series of homeless boys' murdered bodies are discovered.

Then there is the charged relationship between Hart and Riedwaan Fa
Guillermojimenezespneo
Digamos de entrada que los principales propagandistas del género pólicíaco son sus mismo autores. No abandonan para nada la zona confortable de sus relatos tremendistas, horrorizantes y adjetivos similares. Ahí entramos los lectores. Eso de la tensión narrativa, ese ocultar a lo largo de la narración datos para conservar el llamado interés ya me resultan un tanto, digámoslo sin tapujos, aburrido. Pero el talento palabrero, la secuencia lógica del transcurrir en tiempo y espacio de las acciones e ...more
Rachel Nowakowski
I do love these characters. This one definitely focussed on the female perspective in contrast to the last book. I have a soft spot for Riedwaan and so glad he came into the story halfway through. It is difficult to read about the way human life, especially that of children, is treated so lightly, but Margie Orford writes sensitively about this subject and brings it right to our attention.
Tessa
South African crime writer Margie Orford is a new favorite of mine. This is the second mystery of hers I have read. The first one was set in Cape Town and this one in Namibia. Each one involved Dr. Clare Hart, profiler of serial killers.

The narrative itself is well told. I was engaged to piece together the crime and to see how all of the pieces came together. I also enjoyed the characters, including Clare Hart.

If you know South/ern Africa, you will appreciate the details of place in this book. I
Mathilda
An interesting read, written by a South African writer. Dr. Clare Hart, a police profiler goes to Walvis Bay to help find the killer of four homeless boys. The sad life of this isolated town is vividly described and the people she meets, from a very pregnant local police officer to the orphans of the town are engaging, she also keeps you fascinated with her description of the slowly disappearing native culture to the desert. Unfortunately for me it is yet another Aids story woven into a otherwis ...more
Dianne
I just love Margie Orford's style - great romping good reads..
This one is no exception - a page turner and some interesting historical notes and social history. This is my 2nd Clare Hart book - although the stories are faultless, the endings aren't quite as slick. However, this doesnt detract from Orford's genius as a story teller - she has to be one of the world's best crime writers - keep them coming!
Al
This is only the 2nd of her novels that I have read and have to confess to enjoying it immensely.
Written by a Namibian and set in Namibia it was brought to life with great descriptions of the countryside/Namib. It is another Dr Clare Hart novel where she is still involved with Capt Riedwaan Faizal of SAPS.

Arja Salafranca
Dr Clare Hart is back in the second crime thriller to feature this feisty documentary-maker and police profiler. Set in Namibia, where Orford herself grew up. Blood Rose delivers a read that is thrilling and satisfying.
Kathy Manten

Great characters. Lovely, concise descriptions of the areas in which the story was set.
Jolieg G
Vond het een aardig boek maar op het laatst wat langdradig worden.
David
David added it
Jan 20, 2015
Abbie Keevers
Abbie Keevers marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Yvib
Yvib marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Jim Pike
Jim Pike marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Piamater
Piamater marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Tomigirl44
Tomigirl44 marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Die Eckes
Die Eckes marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Durinda
Durinda is currently reading it
Dec 09, 2014
Tietsia Hsn
Tietsia Hsn marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Kaia
Kaia marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Margie Orford is a journalist, film director and author of children’s fiction, non-fiction and school text books.

She was born in London and grew up in Namibia and South Africa, studying at UCT where she wrote her final exams in prison while detained during the State of Emergency. After travelling widely, she did an honours degree at UCT, then worked in publishing in the newly-independent Namibia,
More about Margie Orford...

Clare Hart (5 books)
  • Like Clockwork
  • Daddy's Girl
  • Gallows Hill
  • Water Music
Like Clockwork Daddy's Girl Gallows Hill Water Music Daddy'S Girl (Clare Hart Thriller)