Start by marking “Lonely Planet Chicago: City Guide” as Want to Read:
Lonely Planet Chicago: City Guide

Lonely Planet Chicago: City Guide (Lonely Planet City Guide)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Lonely Planet Chicago
Splash with a video-screen gargoyle in Millennium Park 's Crown Fountain
Be overawed by masterworks and modern multimedia at the Art Institute of Chicago
Browse Wicker Park boutiques for graphic novels, vintage records and T-shirts served with a side of potato chips
Score bleacher seats for the Cubs at Wrigley Field, or pull up a nearby barstool
In This
Published March 1st 2011 by Lonely Planet (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Lonely Planet Chicago, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lonely Planet Chicago

Steven Peterson
I recently attended the Midwest Political Science Association in Chicago. So, this volume has some real interest for me, as I check out its recommendations and compare with my experience over time. I stayed at the Intercontinental (the conference hotel, the Palmer House, was sold out). Both hotels are accurately reviewed here. The refurbished lobby of the Palmer House is a delight! I was used to the decayed beauty for many years and find the new lobby wonderful!

But this volume is about more than
Celine
I visited Chicago for the first time (ever!) recently and I used the Lonely Planet Guide - Chicago, 2008. As always with Lonely Planet guides, it was an excellent resource: stuff to check out by neighborhood, food choices, & routed walking tours. It also had a section on "day trips" which was incredibly useful since I was joining Daniel to Michigan City, IN for his friend's wedding on the same trip to Chicago and we stopped at the Indiana Sand Dunes thanks to a rec by the LP guide.
kelly
Content seems accurate and reliable in my limited one-week experience relying on this book, but the writing was at times on par with SkyMall magazine.
Some of the best restaurant recommendations in here were Paris Club and Green Zebra. Be warned: Chicago food is greasy and heavy.
cathepsut
Excellent guide to Chicago. I was constantly cross-referencing everything I saw, I planned my daytrips with it and overall thought the info provided was great. The only way it could have been better -- more photos to help with orientation.
Tim
Very useful, even though I only ended up visiting a small proportion of places in the guide during my first trip to the city.
Kim
Kim added it
Aug 08, 2014
katie
katie marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Vitaly
Vitaly added it
Jul 10, 2014
Fadel Nassar
Fadel Nassar marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The USA Book: A Journey Through America Canada (Lonely Planet Guide) Washington DC Amsterdam (Lonely Planet Guide) Vancouver