Start by marking “Midnight Sun” as Want to Read:
Midnight Sun

Midnight Sun

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  424 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Midsummer: a small boy runs away, back to the village of Stargrave, where strangeness awaits him in the churchyard. — Winter, twenty years later: Ben Sterling, that young boy grown up, is moving back to Stargrave with his wife, Ellen, and his two children. — The old house in the shadow of the forest holds the promise of all their dreams. But among the pines something seems ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Published by Tor Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Sun

Simon
May 30, 2010 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I came to this book expecting another hell raising ride of chaotic imagery (that I experienced with his short story collection Demons by Daylight) but this was far more conventionally written. Still in evidence though was Campbell's subtle approach to horror. Before the opening chapter was a quote from David Aylward:

"Writers (of supernatural fiction), who used to strive for awe and achieve fear, now strive for fear and achieve only disgust."

This shows Campbells appreciation of such classic write
Andy
Nov 29, 2007 Andy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Much of Campbell's work is stunning (The Face That Must Die, The Doll Who Ate His Mother), but this one was just lukewarm (sorry!). While you want a certain amount of the mundane, quotidian lives of the characters in order to flesh out said characters, MS overdoes it, giving us what feels like whole chapters of, for example, Ellen's life at the office that lend nothing to the story. There's some very poetic verbiage in here, and some genuinely creepy moments, but the story moves at a glacial pac ...more
Brian
Dec 05, 2011 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I felt like the book was padded out to meet some genre standard page length. A character is influenced by supernatural forces to go into a kind of trance, which he does often and at length. I don't have a problem with the trance itself, but after the first couple of time I pretty much got the idea and could have done without the rest.

The book is suspiciously "summer beach reading" thick, which I take as support of my padding theory. I really like Campbell's short fiction, but this novel seems to
Rebecca McNutt
Midnight Sun's writing was choppy, the characters were rather boring, but the plot was creative and original and the dazzling and at times chilling imagery was well-worth reading for. I doubt I'd read it again but I'm glad I read it at least once.
Octavio Villalpando
Campbell es un muy buen escritor, y la idea detrás de "El sol de medianoche" era muy prometedora, sin embargo, de algún modo, creo que se contuvo demasiado y acabó ofreciendo una novela que si bien es entretenida, la verdad es que no acaba de cuajar del todo.

Trata de la historia de una pareja de jóvenes escritores y sus dos hijos que, tras la muerte de la tía del papá, descubren que han heredado algunas propiedades, incluida la casa donde el protagonista vivió de niño, y que tuvo que abandonar
Isidore
A disappointment. It opens very promisingly with an account of the protagonist's boyhood, hinting darkly of bizarre family secrets, and there are brief, effective moments of cosmic horror. Unfortunately, the book as a whole does not come up to snuff. The main character, now an adult, has rather a dull family, on which altogether too much uninteresting verbiage is squandered. Characterization is sketchy, and even Campbell's typically acidic portrayal of the awfulness of human interaction (always ...more
Andy
Oct 26, 2013 Andy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is my third Campbell novel, and I loved the last two, really expected to like this one but I didn't. I WANTED to like this book and I gave it the benefit of the doubt nearly to the end, but it's quite flawed in my opinion. First of all, it feels way too padded. There's whole chapters about book publishing, a characters' sexually harassing boss, family drama, and others which add little or nothing to the story. I love a slow, atmospheric horror story, but the problem here isn't the pacing, i ...more
Henrik
Mar 29, 2008 Henrik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those enjoying horror stories and about writers and where imagination comes from
Anton
Jun 24, 2016 Anton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Empieza prometedor y contiene pasajes potentes. Podría haber sido un buen cuento o una novela cortita, pero por alguna razón esto es una novela de 300 y pico páginas, de las que la mayoría son completamente prescindibles y aburridísimas, para colmo traducidas por alguien que de vez en cuando cae en el laismo. Estuve a punto de abortar esta lectura y la única razón por la que seguí fue para ver si empezaban a morir los personajes principales y sus hijos en algún momento.
Kristie
Sep 29, 2015 Kristie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was easily my favorite Ramsey Campbell novel if not my favorite novel I've read and reread multiple times....and I'm not done with it yet. I found the writing so vivid I could envision it playing out in my head. Love love love it.
Keith
Jul 21, 2015 Keith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
"Midnight Sun" is a slow moving novel where a mysterious entity seeks entry into our world through Ben Sterling, a children's author. It takes place in a forest and the village around Ben's childhood home.
Mandy
Aug 23, 2011 Mandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having much in common with The Voice Of The Beach, I was pleasantly surprised by how the malevolence built up throughout this book, reaching a satisfying climax, although the trusting nature of some of the characters in the face of rather obvious clues is a little niggle that requires some suspension of disbelief, and here is a certain degree of almost tortuously unnecessary wordplay. I recently read The Hungry Moon, and the plots of both are similar in many ways, though distinctive enough to en ...more
Manwithpez
Apr 09, 2015 Manwithpez rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'll probably get derided as one of those readers who doesn't appreciate subtle horror because I didn't like this book. That's not the issue for me, here. For horror to be effectively frightening, these has to be something to be frightened by, and this book just doesn't deliver. After early promise, there is just a bland downslope into mendacity, which I understand can be used to accentuate horror, but only if there is horror to accentuate. It wasn't here no matter how much I wanted it to be.
Bill S.
Oct 20, 2015 Bill S. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Had its moments but, as a whole, the book dragged on and on and on and etc.
Robert
Jul 16, 2014 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A 300+ page short story.
Claire
Jan 24, 2014 Claire rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This has unfortunately been my least favourite of Ramsey Campbells's books so far. There seemed to be very little threat and instead protagonist spent half of the book acting strangely, but little else.
David
Dec 31, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightfully creepy- builds to a satisfying conclusion. The cold is a malevolent presence- reminds me of other "weird fiction". Not sure why a lot of people did not like this one.
Chanda Presley
Jul 10, 2013 Chanda Presley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not a very good book or story! It was hard to get through and I kept waiting for some big punch line that never happened!
Jorge Granados
Jul 05, 2014 Jorge Granados rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not so scary as I thought, but is still a good book... I really thought I was reading the Shining from Stephen King
John Ulrich
Nov 20, 2012 John Ulrich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GREAT BOOK. Creepy, icy, cold....it has all the essential elements of a good supernatural horror book.
Isah  Ragondo
I admit Mr. Campbell is a good writer but this one's just not my type of books. No offense..
Robert Holt
Well written but lacked truly scary parts. Also followed too many horror clichés.
Ketevan
Jul 14, 2015 Ketevan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
ძლივს ჩავიკითხე ბოლომდე. არავის ვურჩევ. წიგნის 1/3 სრულიად ზედმეტი იყო.
Gladys
Oct 25, 2008 Gladys rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm working on this one now. It's a slow starter, but I love Campbell.
Omer Oral
Weak ending, but a classic Ramsey Campbell read.
Mark Stagliano
Mark Stagliano marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Robobobo
Robobobo marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Henry
Henry marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Daniel Cucco
Daniel Cucco marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Dylan Lancaster
Dylan Lancaster is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2016
  • Requiem
  • The Ceremonies
  • The Bridge
  • The Hollow Lands (Dancers at the End of Time, #2)
  • Lori
  • Hrolf Kraki's Saga
  • Bethany's Sin
  • Outside the Dog Museum (Answered Prayers, #4)
  • Fears Unnamed
  • The Mammoth Book of Modern Ghost Stories
  • The Pet
  • Take Back Plenty (Tabitha Jute, #1)
  • Clive Barker's Shadows in Eden
  • The Night Class
  • Noctuary
  • The Nightwalker
  • In War Times
  • Points of Departure
John Ramsey Campbell is a British writer considered by a number of critics to be one of the great masters of horror fiction. T. E. D. Klein has written that "Campbell reigns supreme in the field today," while S. T. Joshi has said that "future generations will regard him as the leading horror writer of our generation, every bit the equal of Lovecraft or Blackwood."
More about Ramsey Campbell...