Start by marking “Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories to Stay Awake By” as Want to Read:
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories to Stay Awake By

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories to Stay Awake By

That master of the macabre Alfred Hitchcock has only scorn for people who dream their nights away. No one should waste those deliciously dark hours between dusk and dawn when the wind howls the loudest and the smallest sounds can reap the greatest dividends of dread. Therefore in his latest collection Hitch has personally selected tales tailored to break the stranglehold o ...more
Published December 1st 1971 by Random House (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Alfred Hitchcock Presents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alfred Hitchcock Presents

DeAnna Knippling
Feb 09, 2016 DeAnna Knippling rated it really liked it
You never realize how much you depend on the order the editor puts the stories until you run into an anthology where they're alphabetical by author. The only story I really disliked in the whole anthology...was the last story, which is usually one of the powerhouses of an anthology.

Otherwise a great collection - not a lot of emphasis on GENRE, more like an emphasis on some sort of creepy, prickly feeling on the back of your neck. From SF to Horror to Thriller to Cozy Mystery--just all of them wi
Colleen
Jul 15, 2016 Colleen rated it liked it
Mmm, I thought this one had a bit more misses than usual. There seemed to be a lot more spy related and espionage between countries than usual, and that doesn't age well generally and didn't here. Jack London is one of the bigger names featured, and try as I might, I still cannot get into his work--I find it annoying wading through dialects and vignettes of harsh outdoorsy backwoodsman leave me with a resounding meh, joining other authors I just can't get into after much effort: Victor Hugo, Wor ...more
Michelle
Oct 13, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book, more so than other compilations I have read. Some stories were just so-so, but there were a few really creepy stories in there (Ohio Love Sculpture; Canavan's Backyard) and ones that I thought were pretty funny (The great three-month super supersonic transport stack-up of 1999). All in all it was a fun read.
Serena

the Spy Who Came to the Brink be Edward Hoch
Second Talen
Penelope
May 09, 2017 Penelope rated it it was amazing
The book was fantastic. I really enjoyed how the story's plots were different, but each one was about a murder. The plots were very interesting, and it is easier to read the stories due to the different plots. One of the stories is about how a man marries a wealthy women and kills her for her money, leaving her in the basement of their house. Another story is about a detective locating a terrible murder, and locates the murder based on the way he drinks his wine. My favorite story is about 2 spi ...more
Elyse
Dec 01, 2016 Elyse rated it really liked it
"Thirty-five startling, frightening, suspenseful, chilling exercises in the art of murder and suspense" The copy I read is old and beat up but the stories inside are not. Published in 1971 these stories remain entertaining 45 years later. There are a few duds but not many. I'm going to search out more of these Alfred Hitchcock collections to read.
Hannah Givens
Dec 18, 2015 Hannah Givens rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, short-stories
HIt-and-miss, like most short story collections, but a surprisingly high number of really creepy hits. Favorites: Canavan's Back Yard, Sleep is the Enemy, Letter to the Editor, The Ohio Love Sculpture, and Homicide House. (Entering these books to Goodreads for my own benefit five years later, I'm surprised how these stories and images have stayed with me. In a good way, not a traumatic one!)
Zei
Feb 13, 2014 Zei rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Le maître du suspense par excellence nous propose plusieurs nouvelles qui se lisent en un clin d'oeil, plus amusantes et intrigantes que terrifiante. Moi qui suis une grande peureuse, je n'en ai pas tremblé le moindre du monde, mais j'aimerai bien voir leur adaptation cinématographique...
Woody Chandler
Mar 23, 2016 Woody Chandler rated it really liked it
I had borrowed this book from Scoats at one point, realized that I was not going to finish it on a timely basis & returned it. Since then, I became inspired to borrow it from the local library & give it a solid effort. "The Ohio Love Sculpture" remains an all-time favorite of mine.
Amber
Apr 16, 2012 Amber rated it it was ok
not all of them were good, not all of them were mysteries, not all of them were scary.
Susie
Jan 19, 2014 Susie rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of short stories which keep you interested from start to finish. Not gruesome or gory, but they have a plot and keep you wanting more.
Joseph
Aug 17, 2011 Joseph rated it really liked it
Ooooh, I loved this book when I was a kid. This and "Stories to Read With The Door Locked."
Michale
Dec 19, 2012 Michale rated it it was amazing
Shelves: whodunit
Found a copy of this in a used book store and reread all these stories I had read as a kid. They're still great!
Shaun
Shaun rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2012
Kaethe
Kaethe rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2010
Les
Les rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2012
Doug
Doug rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2014
Georgina
Georgina rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Jan Holdridge
Jan Holdridge rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2016
Da Nolo
Da Nolo rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2012
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Katlyn
Katlyn rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2014
Ain
Ain rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2011
Omar Elshimy
Omar Elshimy rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2015
Renee
Renee rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Kaitlin Caudle
Kaitlin Caudle rated it really liked it
May 24, 2012
Alvindshin
Alvindshin rated it did not like it
Mar 29, 2011
Xio
Xio rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2007
Clark
Clark rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2014
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Dracula Book of Great Vampire Stories
  • Hauntings: Tales of the Supernatural
  • Dracula's Brood: Neglected Vampire Classics
  • The Pan Book of Horror Stories
  • Rod Serling's Twilight Zone
  • John the Balladeer (Silver John)
  • Witches & Warlocks: Tales of Black Magic, Old & New
  • Dark Delicacies (Dark Delicacies, #1)
  • It's Only a Movie: A Personal Biography of Alfred Hitchcock
  • Beautiful People
  • The Oxford Book of English Ghost Stories
  • 100 Ghastly Little Ghost Stories
  • American Fantastic Tales: Terror and the Uncanny from Poe to the Pulps
  • The Message in the Haunted Mansion (Nancy Drew, #122)
  • The Grin of the Dark
  • Best Ghost Stories of J.S. Le Fanu
  • H.P. Lovecraft's Book of Horror
  • 21 Great Stories
Sir Alfred Joseph Hitchcock KBE was an iconic and highly influential film director and producer, who pioneered many techniques in the suspense and thriller genres.

Following a very substantial career in his native Britain in both silent films and talkies, Hitchcock moved to Hollywood and became an American citizen with dual nationality in 1956, thus he also remained a British subject.

Hitchcock dire
More about Alfred Hitchcock...