Start by marking “Ethical Oil: The Case for Canada's Oil Sands” as Want to Read:
Ethical Oil: The Case for Canada's Oil Sands

Ethical Oil: The Case for Canada's Oil Sands

Canada's "no. 1 defender of freedom of speech" and the bestselling author of Shakedown makes the timely and provocative case that when it comes to oil, ethics matter just as much as the economy and the environment.

In 2009, Ezra Levant's bestselling book Shakedown revealed the corruption of Canada's human rights commissions and was declared the "most important public affair
Published September 14th 2010 by McClelland & Stewart (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ethical Oil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ethical Oil

Shadowbosses by Mallory FactorLeave Us Alone by Grover G. NorquistThe Baseball Economist by J.C. BradburyPower Hungry by Robert BryceThe Skeptical Environmentalist by Bjørn Lomborg
John Stossel Show Reads
26th out of 63 books — 6 voters
Mass Disruption by John StackhouseLosing the Signal by Jacquie McNishPlutocrats by Chrystia FreelandFreewheeling by Ian BrownThe Edible Man  by Anne Kingston
Canadian business books
11th out of 11 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Adam Snider
Aug 16, 2011 Adam Snider rated it liked it
While I found the overall argument of the book---the oil from Alberta's oil sands is the most ethical in the world---to be fairly convincing, I found a lot of Levant's rhetorical tactics to be frustrating and over-the-top. He often employs the same techniques that he accuses oil sands critics of using, albeit for the opposite purpose, and his constant implication that human-caused global warming is probably not real gets tiring after the first couple of times he makes it.

Despite these flaws, it'
Eric Wright
Mar 03, 2011 Eric Wright rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction

Ezra Levant, Ethical Oil. The Case for Canada’s Oil Sands. Full of tightly knit arguments and uncontroversial facts, Levant slays the paper tiger thrown up by the anti-oil sands movement. By the end of the book that tiger lies bloodless and crushed.

Some of his points:
With the oil sands at our disposal is it ethically responsible to import oil from the host of countries run by brutal dicatorships who crush freedom—Sudan, Nigeria, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Libya, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc. While the c
Dan Glover
Nov 08, 2010 Dan Glover rated it it was amazing
I'm finished now and will write a review in the next couple of days. For now I'll just say that if you can read this book and still think the oil sands are an unethical source of dirty oil that should be boycotted (when compared with its competition, such nice places as Iran, Sudan, Venezuela, Russia, Saudi Arabia, etc.), you probably also think that Greenpeace activists float 2 inches above the ground from protest to protest powered by pixy dust. Rant on, Ezra. It's good to see that there are ...more
William Hill
Apr 26, 2013 William Hill rated it did not like it
This book was good for a laugh. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody without a sense of humor. The author seems to forget what he wrote on the last page, as it was filled with contradictions or more likely (given the Author)outright hypocrisies. Some of the facts were interesting and well presented in order to further the authors agenda. However with further research and proper context the majority of what is written was either misleading inaccurate or outright lies. No Surprises from Ezra.
May
Sep 26, 2016 May rated it liked it
Maiku

Adds a different
perspective to the oil sands
debate: ethics-based.
Leopold Bienkowski-gibbs
I didn't like the book at first. Ezra Levant's tone is patronizing and derisive throughout most of the book, which is a shame because the argument he lays out is a good one for the most part. He challenged my anti-tar sands stance with his compelling survey of the alternative oil sources in the world and the social political context of those foreign oil industries. But instead of accepting Canada's tar sands as the lightest shade of grey for bitumen/oil extraction, Levant champions them as some ...more
John
Feb 02, 2013 John rated it it was ok
Spoiler alert:
1)I live in Northern Canada and I love the life including the wild life.
2)I am happy to list my support for the Sask Party and the sucessors of Reform on my facebook page.

Ezra Levant has written this book to defend the developpment of the Oil Sands in Northern Saskatchewan and Alberta. I have seen the huge mines in British Columbia, but not yet been to Fort Mac, but I have spoken to many who have lived and worked there.

Ezra spends too much of this book slanging the opponents of dev
Kathy
Aug 05, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it

My neighbor handed me this book. And I'm very grateful because I would never have picked it up myself. I think every Canadian should read this book. It has a big nationalist streak which is rather engaging. But it also makes a very articulate and intelligent case FOR the development of the Canadian oil sands. Until we as a society find an alternative to fossil fuels, we're going to remain reliant on oil. But it seems like Canada is losing the public relations battle against tyrannical and repres
Thalia
Aug 13, 2012 Thalia rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian

So essentially:
OIL sands are the best source of oil because:
1. it is produced in a country that does the best job of protecting human rights
2. Is environmentally sound despite the smear campaigns claims
3. Tell any American environmentalist to 'fuzz off' , go home, and worry about their much worse domestic enviro crisis'

However, in addition, unless you know it for a fact yourself (and I mean know it, saw with your own eyes, hands on research) then read everything with contempt. Just because it'
Janice
Jan 07, 2013 Janice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, non-fiction
Finally - someone has put to words how a lot of Albertans feel. I am tired of these "big American Companies" coming into Canada - putting their retail shops in the heart of our oil and gas industry and then crying "green" over our oil. There are a lot worse places that oil comes from.
Where do you think the people who you want to patronize your businesses derive their income from? Personally, no one in my family works directly for the oil industry, but a huge portion of our income is related to
Rebecca
Jul 04, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Not a fan of Mr. Levant or his political views, but I read the book to try and gain another perspective. If nothing else, the book has given me the opportunity to question what I already know about about Canadian oil practices, and those of other oil producing countries. I wouldn't recommend the book, unless you feel the need to be screamed at from the pages about how stupid we are for thinking that there might be something wrong with tearing up Alberta as quickly as possible without thinking ...more
Anatolikon
Mar 03, 2016 Anatolikon rated it liked it
Shelves: modern
Repetitive and shrill, but an intriguing case for the tar sands on moral grounds. Levant's thesis is set up in such a way that Alberta's oil sands can't help but look good compared to the violence, repression, and corruption in places like Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Venezuela. I'm totally convinced that his efforts to downplay the environmental costs, but his attacks on environmental groups that become interest groups like Greenpeace is quite indicting.
Darren
Aug 28, 2012 Darren rated it really liked it
I dare you.
I dare you to read the introduction to this book, and then try to put it down.
Mr Levant goes into a great deal of detail to offer a look at the environmentil, economiic and politocal issues surrounding the world of society being addicted to oil.
I dare you, to read this, and see where your opinions of all the big players in oil lie in comparison to when you first started.
Highly recommended.
Ismena
Jun 18, 2012 Ismena rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: environmentalists, skeptics
This book has such an interesting and refreshing perspective on oil sands in AB. The book is very biased, however the author has done the research and makes a few very valid points. I liked the language it was written it, it was easy to read and sarcastic. I think everyone should give this book a read, especially environmentalists who are against oil sands... just to see the benefits and hear why someone may believe that this is going to be the most ethical resource we have on our planet.
Jonah Ardiel
Mar 25, 2016 Jonah Ardiel rated it liked it
Ezra Levant made me re-think my position on Alberta's oil sands. He offers valuable insight that's primarily overlooked in contemporary Western society. I'd recommend this book. From someone who had little knowledge about the oil industry and preconceived judgments about the harm they can create, I was delighted to gain information I otherwise wouldn't have and learn a new perspective.
Amber Edgar
Dec 16, 2010 Amber Edgar rated it it was amazing
Every Canadian citizen needs to read this book at least once. Americans would are strongly encouraged to as well.

Our reliance on oil will not stop any time soon. May as well get it from Canada baby. This book illustrates all the fun and obvious reasons why the Northern Alberta Oil Sands is the BEST supply in the world! Wee!
Ginn
Dec 29, 2010 Ginn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, canadian
Everyone should read this. There's a lot in there I already knew, and a lot I didn't know, but this book informed and put it all together.

Basically Canada=awesome, and the best place oil has ever come from.
Johns
Apr 12, 2016 Johns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cogent analysis of the spurious and even false logic behind environmentalist opposition to developing and exporting more Canadian oil resources. Written by a Canadian. Released in 2010 before Obama's Keystone pipeline decision mistake.
Carole
Apr 20, 2015 Carole added it
Enjoyed reading Ezra Levant's book. He writes the way he speaks: clearly, concisely, and with humour.
Christina Manolescu
Jul 18, 2013 Christina Manolescu rated it really liked it
An informative and persuasive case for championing Canada's oil sands. Energetic, compelling and highly readable.
Adam Corsaut
Jun 13, 2012 Adam Corsaut rated it really liked it
An insightful (if sometimes emotional) examination into the ethics of oil. Worth reading regardless if where you fall in the debate.
Carey Chalifour
Feb 06, 2014 Carey Chalifour rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent presentation of the oil sands fight against environmentalist propaganda and hype. Hope it causes many to fact check before jumping on the anti oil sands bandwagon!
Annette
Jan 25, 2014 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only criticism I have is that if you already agree with Ezra, it's like reading stuff you already know. I think I will pass it on to someone else who might not be as aware.
Bahramo
Bahramo rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Melissa Brausse
Melissa Brausse rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2015
Jared Dunlop
Jared Dunlop rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2011
Glenda Postman
Glenda Postman rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2012
Sean
Sean rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2011
  • The Energy of Slaves: Oil and the New Servitude
  • After America: Get Ready for Armageddon
  • Pulitzer: A Life in Politics, Print, and Power
  • High Financier: The Lives and Time of Siegmund Warburg
  • Killing Sacred Cows: Overcoming the Financial Myths That Are Destroying Your Prosperity
  • The Coming Aristocracy