Beyond Summer

Beyond Summer (Blue Sky Hill #3)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  369 ratings  ·  60 reviews
National bestselling author Lisa Wingate returns with an uplifting novel set in Blue Sky Hill, where unexpected challenges and new relationships give deeper meanings to "home."
When Tam Lambert learns that her family's upscale home is in foreclosure, the life she's known is forever changed. Tam and her family must move to a changing Dallas neighborhood called Blue Sky Hil...more
Published July 6th 2010 by New American Library (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Summer

Nicky
The reason I decided to give this book five stars is because it has a five star life lesson. This book is about discovering what matters most. It also brings to light the fact that we never know what someone has been through and what they're going through now. We should never judge. It was an easy, thought provoking read. Recommended!
Connie
I have really enjoyed the Blue Sky Hill series, but I must say that I did not enjoy this book as much as the first two books. I do not believe that the ending of this book was realistic since I lived in Dallas for 23 years and know the "Park Cities" area (the Bubble) well. This area includes the towns of Highland Park and University Park as well as SMU.

These communities are known for narcissism, greed and racism. I really question that the Lambert family would make this miraculous change of atti...more
Linda Day
I was a little disappointed in this, the third book, in her Blue Sky Hill Series. I like Wingate's style of developing characters in the first book in a series, and then following through with side characters taking the lead. The character from Book Two who is spotlighted here is Shasta Reid-Williams. Shasta is the sister of Jace who falls in love w/Dell whom we initially met in Tending Roses. (Sounds like one of those his cousin's friend who was married to the girl at the 76 Station who ... thi...more
kim
This was not nearly as good as the first 2 books in the 'Blue Sky Hill' series. The characters were not as likeable and the story moved a bit more slowly. It also ended just a little too 'neatly'. It would have been interesting to see how the characters continued to develop and grow had things not been tied up quite so neatly.

The story is told from 3 different viewpoints. Sesay is an older 'boat people' woman from parts unknown, even to her. She can only remember her father being taken away, and...more
Jackie
I was a bit hesitant to read this book - wasn't that enamored of the first one of the series and didn't read the second one. And this is definitely a "cause" book, usually the sort of book I would avoid. So, I went into this one thinking it already had two strikes against it.

Surprisingly, I enjoyed it. I was by turns annoyed and encouraged by the characters and some of their actions. But I guess that shows that I cared enough about them to keep reading to find out the resolution to their difficu...more
Anne
I've read other books by Lisa Wingate and really enjoyed them, but this is not one of them. It tells the story of three different women, each chapter being the first person perspective of one of the three. I didn't connect with any of the three women (one an older refugee, one a mother in her early 20s, one an 18 year old girl). I could not identify with any of them, and the writing irritated me.
Sharon
Another great read about Blue Sky Hill and the residents--both new and old. Loved finding out who was going to live in Poppy's house, even though it had been painted yellow--and the problems that occur with unscrupulous and evil corporations who take advantage of people who just want to live a good life, escape poverty, bring up their children in a wholesome atmosphere.
Janet
This was a story of several women whose lives eventually intersected. Wingate's obvious efforts to break down walls of prejudice are successful, as I found myself being convicted of unnecessary judgmental attitudes. It was a good story that continued from the previous one in the series without depending on it. However, these aren't her best books in my opinion.
Nancy
I am a Lisa Wingate fan. I started with her book, "Tending Roses," and have made it a point to read all of them. I haven't been disappointed yet. You don't necessarily have to read the books in order as the story lines are unique to each book, but some of the characters carry over from one book to the next. I have read some of her books more than once. In this book I was hooked from the first sentence: "It's strange what you look past in a normal day -- the big picture you don't see, while you'r...more
Jeanne Adamek
A very good book. Like all of this authors books the story brought hope in times of hopelessness. My favorite quote is from Sesay (the homeless woman) "Do not let yesterday use up too much of today." For some reason it really clicked with me.
Diana
Third book in the series & Ms. Wingate does a great job exploring some disturbing themes, but I just could not warm up to many of the characters, and the end of the book was tied up way too quickly & way too neatly, IMHO.
Alicia
Great book. I really liked how Wingate brought back characters from both the Blue Sky Hill and Tending Roses series. I read the Tending Roses series again so I could get caught up on Dell, since I heard she's in this book. That was great, but I didn't reread A Month of Summer, and more of the book focuses on characters from that book. So I felt a bit rusty on some of the characters. Overall it was good. It took a little while to get into this book. It starts out different than her other books. B...more
Donna
This was picked as a selection for a group of women with whom I enjoy sharing! I very much enjoyed this book about a group of women from very different backgrounds/circumstances who find themselves in relationship with each other. The book addresses up-to-date issues of economic difficulties, homelessness, family dynamics, etc. and brings these women together as they learn what is really important in life.

I plan to read other books by this author soon. My friends and I have not met as yet to dis...more
Heila
Found this on the new books shelf at the library and yes, liked the cover. (: She's a Texas author, the stories are set in Texas. Great characters, real characters, women characters, families. Neighbors interacting. Good stories and a social justice element that I really liked. You feel like you're there, you relate to what's happening, you learn something and you're sorry to "leave" - all the effect of a good novel! Liked all three in the series. Read them all fast.
Jo
It's a gentle read - dealing with issues of homelessness, interdependence, and corporate ethics... I loved the message that too often we give power to those around us, because we worry about what they think about us... Truly it only matters what we think of ourselves... Am I living and thinking and acting the way I want to be... Are my thoughts and actions in line with my personal beliefs of who I am... Hmmmm a question to ask myself on a daily basis...
Chris
I really, really enjoy Lisa Wingate's writing and this book was no different. I look forward to more books in her Summer series - a new one due out next summer...and I also hear she's beginning another new series sometime earlier than that. Her writing is predictably clean and interesting. I like her characters and enjoy the way she works in a character or two from previous books in the series - and even in another series - into the current book.
Nathalie
I always enjoy her books - especially the fact that the characters overlap. I know they will be clean, have good values for the most part and they typically deal with family relationships. I like the way she develops her characters - This was not my favorite of her books - probably one of my least favorite but it had a couple of characters in it that kept me going & I wonder if they will turn up in some future books.
Marla
It was a struggle to get through this one for me. I don't know why. I thought the first book in the series was okay and the 4th one was really good. Yes, I didn't read these in order. But this one was just okay. Maybe I wasn't in the mood, I don't know. I really liked the characters and the struggles. I would have liked to know more about Sesay. But it was a nice light read.
Jackie
Ok, to be honest, I only read the first half of this book, and then skimmed through to the last two chapters. I have definitely read better stuff by this author. The storyline was lame (not that the subject matter isn't an important one), but I couldn't take any more whining from the characters in this book. The only one I even remotely enjoyed was the crazy aunt...
Natalie
The story tries to make sense of the craziness in the world today. It is timely and the issues are real...this made it a little hard for me to read at first. But in true Lisa Wingate fashion, God has a hand in the characters lives and brings that to a place where they can understand and help each other. Sometimes life works this way...
Heather
A fun read that, although a somewhat light book overall, addresses some serious issues in a thoughtful way. I liked the chapters narrated by Shasta and Tam more than the ones narrated by Sesay. It was nice to see both Shasta and Tam gain maturity as they dealt with difficult circumstances.
Kelley
I loved this book. I picked it up when Border's was closing and it was really on sale. And I loved the characters, the story line, it wasn't what I was expecting, as I have never read her before. Just one of those books where you feel good when you are done reading it.
Pam
I really like Lisa Wingate. I love her descriptive writing - she has a great talent that you don't see in many modern writers. I liked her characters and the basic story line; however, I had a really hard time getting into this book until the last 1/3 of the book.
Tanya
At the beginning this book was a little confusing since there were 3 story lines to follow. However, once you realized who was who, it was good. I like how it continued the stories from the previous, books, so you kind of knew what happened to those characters.
Anne
It may not be great literature, but how can you criticize a book that you enjoy while you're reading it, feel uplifted when you're done, makes you think, and leaves you feeling like you've just been separated from a friend. Thanks, Lisa Wigate!
Tiffany Lee
I read this without having read any of the others in this series and was able to follow it very well. Now I definitely want to read the others :) I really liked this overall, and can't wait to see where everybody came from and where they're going.
Rebecca
I had a hard time getting into this book at first but then all of a sudden, it started flying and the characters came alive. When hard times hit, the women in this book learn new things about themselves and others and grow in the process.
Rochelle
Jan 25, 2011 Rochelle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rochelle by: Book Club
Quick read, enjoyable. Three women with incredibly different backgrounds each tell their own story. Interesting to see what happens that brings them all together. Was somewhat introspective, lessons could be learned.
Relyn
12/1/10 I started this and it was fine. Good, but not great. It was due at the library and I had to return it. What does it say that I still haven't gotten it again to finish it?

Not my favorite Wingate.
Jen
A new-to-me, Christian fiction author. I did not realize this was part of a series but so far I believe this can be read out of order. Great book, I'll have to read the others in the series.
  • Try Fear
  • Almost Forever (Hanover Falls, #1)
  • Taming Rafe (Noble Legacy #2)
  • Local Knowledge
  • House of Secrets
  • Dread Champion (Chelsea Adams, #2)
  • Scattered Petals (Texas Dreams, #2)
  • Where Grace Abides (The Riverhaven Years, #2)
  • The Sweetest Thing
  • Sisters of the Confederacy (A Secret Refuge, #2)
  • Pursuit Of Justice (Call of Duty, #3)
  • The Restorer's Son
  • The Heart's Journey (Stitches in Time #2)
  • Watch Over Me
  • At the Scent of Water (Second Chances Collection, #3)
  • The Night Watchman (Ray Quinn #1)
Lisa Wingate is a popular inspirational speaker, magazine columnist, and national bestselling author of several books, including Tending Roses, Good Hope Road, The Language of Sycamores, and Drenched in Light. Her work was recently honored by the Americans for More Civility for promoting greater kindness and civility in American life. Lisa and her family live in Central Texas.
More about Lisa Wingate...
Tending Roses (Tending Roses #1) The Prayer Box Talk of the Town (Daily Texas, #1) Good Hope Road  (Tending Roses #2) The Summer Kitchen  (Blue Sky Hill #2)