Start by marking “The Three ''Only'' Things: Tapping the Power of Dreams, Coincidence & Imagination” as Want to Read:

Have you ever said something was only a dream, only a coincidence, or only your imagination?

In this book you'll discover that these "only" things can be keys to finding and living your bigger story. You'll learn to tap into the nine powers of dreaming, the nine rules of coincidence, and the seven uses of imagination. You'll be inspired by stories of how innovators and worl
Published February 1st 2010 by New World Library (first published September 10th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Three ''Only'' Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three ''Only'' Things

ZeN-son-son-Vallano
A collection of fanciful ruminations about dreaming and the theory of energy work. It reads like an entire blog entry collection binded into a small book. Lacks any practical techniques and sound advice for lucid dreaming, which is what it promised but didn't deliver.

If you like the idea of a simplistic motivational infomercial that rah rah rahs the idea of believing in dreaming, then this could be for you.
Iona  Stewart
Oct 18, 2014 Iona Stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert Moss is one of my favourite authors. I love his writing style with his delightful stories from his seminars, clients, and those he meets and chats with on his travels.

In this book he tells us about dreams, coincidences and imagination.

We are given the nine powers of dreaming, the nine rules of coincidence and the seven open secrets of imagination.

Everything in life has connection with everything else. Moss dreams about Churchill and has a novel about Churchill with an Indiana Jones touch
Stefanie Reinhold
Nov 19, 2008 Stefanie Reinhold rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone new to the topic dream/imagination.
A good book for someone who is getting started with the topic (dreaming/imagination/imagination-->real life). Inspiring, sampling from many sources and pointing in many directions, this book seemed like a 'candy sampler' to me. Personally I prefer a bit more structure and staying on one topic, but nevertheless I enjoyed the book and found it inspiring.
Julie
Jan 26, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of Robert Moss' teachings. This book shatters the thoughts "it's only a dream", "it's only a coincidence", and "it's only your imagination". This book is full of practical application, with enough real-life stories, both historical and modern, to satisfy my skeptical nature. Love it!!!
Tami
Apr 15, 2008 Tami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How many times have you wished that you knew exactly step by step how to change your life or the particular action that would lead you towards success? That perhaps someone would drop off a nice manual (with full colour illustrations) detailing exactly what you need to do to live a healthy, happy, fulfilled life. Likely, far too many.

Unfortunately, there is no such text. Still, that doesn't mean there isn't an excellent resource available to us. The truth is that we have all the guidance we nee
Kelly
Nov 17, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: esoteric, 2015
I always enjoy Robert Moss' writing about the power of dreams and imagination. However, I found this book a little tedious after having read Active Dreaming and The Secret History of Dreams as he covers a lot of the same techniques discussed in the former and many of the same famous dreamers (I.e. Winston Churchill and Mark Twain) from the latter.
Still, Moss' work helps to put me in mind of one of my favorite Rilke quotes: if your daily life seems poor, do not blame it; blame yourself, tell you
Julia
Jul 13, 2008 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Robert moss book so far. I would recommend it to anyone who is not familiar with his active dreaming techniques as a great starting point. And for those who are, this is a great reminder and has lots of practical "games" to integrate dreams into waking life. Light and easy read.
J. Elizabeth
Sep 10, 2011 J. Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I approached this book with a lot of skepticism, but I'm about two-thirds of the way through and I'm intrigued. The references to scientist Wolfgang Pauli and to Carl Jung are interesting, and I'm rethinking my understanding of time and space as a result of reading this.
Suzanne
Oct 25, 2007 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book directly from the author at a workshop he gave in Ithaca on "Dreams, Coincidence, and Imagination". Robert Moss is a thoroughly engaging, sparkling, and droll speaker; we all hung, openmouthed, on his every word during his fascinating stories. The workshop was so much fun.
Bridgett
Jun 02, 2009 Bridgett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, esoteric
I believe strongly in the power of the imagination and meaningful coincidences, though some of the examples seemed more extreme than what you'd typically come across in daily life.
Noelle
Dec 23, 2015 Noelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good introduction for me to the written work of Robert Moss. After listening to him speak through various audios & videos on the practice of active dreaming, I was even compelled to read the text in his accent! So it felt like he himself was speaking from the pages into my consciousness. And I think it's important to highlight the element of voice here because *hearing* Robert speak is a powerful experience, without which I think a person who only *reads* his words -- at least as ...more
Spider Goddess
Nov 28, 2013 Spider Goddess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book after having read a few other Robert Moss books. As such, I believe I did this out of order. The other Robert Moss books I read are very in depth and detailed. This book, however, is Robert Moss Lite; it is more of an introduction to deeper work contained in many of his other books.

Although much more elementary, this book was enjoyable. Robert makes many good points to introduce the reader to the fascinating realm of Dreams, and his writing style flows smoothly. Historical anecd
Daniel
Sep 08, 2011 Daniel rated it it was ok
Shelves: dream-stuff
I like the direction that this book pushed me in when it comes to thinking about the possible meaning and significance of dreams and coincidence. I've had my fare share of bizarre coincidences and precognitive dreams, and found Moss's discussion of them being part of a plane of existence outside of standard space/time interesting and well written.

That said, Moss's writing tended to bring out the cynic in me due to his frequent reference to individual case studies and questionable examples from
Craven
Nov 05, 2011 Craven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found out about this book when researching Conscious Dreaming. When I got it from my library hold shelf it wasn't really what I was expecting. It was a bit cheesy at times, but it interesting, nonetheless. There's a whole lot of inarguable evidence that creative people - such as Da Vinci and Mark Twain - moved through a realm of dream and coincidence that a lot of people are turned off to. Still this book has that weird self-betterment style of talking that you get into with New Age and self-h ...more
Carla
Aug 11, 2009 Carla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has such a positive approach in telling us ways to tune into our own lives through the world around us and within us. It has a spiritual aspect, almost without seeming to know it. My one caution to myself is to keep things in perspect according to my religious beliefs, so as not to turn adherance of the ideas in this book into pagan worship, but to put the ideas of this book into the context of my beliefs and use them within that context.
Lucas Ledbetter
Jun 23, 2016 Lucas Ledbetter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely well thought-out treatment of the relationship between lucid dreaming, synchronicity, and thoughtforms. This book helped me make a lot of connections I was having trouble seeing on my own! Very practical and informative. This is the best book I have read on the practical applications of synchronicity/coincidence.
Mary Mathews
This is fun, engaging read that encourages us to begin to notice the inklings of our intuition. They are not "only" your imagination, rather they are interior prompts from your deep self that can help you live more authentically
Liz Jansen
Jan 02, 2012 Liz Jansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-growth
Every page of this book draws the reader in. Every time you read it, you gain more awareness. I enjoy picking it up and randomly selecting a few pages to read. It invariably is the section that was meant to be read at that time. No mere coincidence!
Elizabeth
Jul 20, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the humor of the author. A great book for those just getting into dream and shamanic work. Even if you are an "expert," it's still a fun book to read with a lot of great examples and case stories.
Harry
Apr 28, 2008 Harry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has many suggestions for practical application in daily life. I found the overall feel inspiring and uplifting.
Rachael
May 30, 2013 Rachael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has changed my world! Every little thing in life means something. You just have to pay attention to what is being shown.
Julie
Aug 26, 2012 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: synchronicity
This book was boring as hell and a vat of information rolled into one I would have finished it quicker if I didn't keep falling a sleep.
Ramani
Sep 15, 2009 Ramani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read and so much fun. Love all the coincidence stuff. Be mindful of all the sign posts...and black dogs :)
Paula Bowers
Sep 20, 2012 Paula Bowers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book from Robert Moss. I have invited him
to do a workshop in Grand Rapids next August.
Bonnie Pfingst
Oct 05, 2009 Bonnie Pfingst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved this book - it was as if it were written for me. in fact, i've loaned it to someone and i can't recall who that person is - so i ordered another copy for myself. :)
Oct 27, 2008 Jennifer marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Saw on a friend's blog. May contribute to focus on creativity/innovation.
Erika Ostergaard
Dec 09, 2010 Erika Ostergaard rated it it was ok
Ok, so, I didn't actually finish it, but it was becoming very repetitive and annoying.
Leslie North
Jun 16, 2009 Leslie North rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only a dream
Only a coincidence
Only my imagination
These are the 3 only things
Wonderful book.
I should read it again in the future too.
Gloria Reiser
Oct 10, 2016 Gloria Reiser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent overview, and interesting ways of approaching dreams, coincidence and imagination.
Karen
  • Spiritwalker: Messages from the Future
  • Awakening to the Spirit World: The Shamanic Path of Direct Revelation
  • Our Dreaming Mind
  • Lucid Dreamer: A Waking Guide for the Traveler Between Worlds
  • Dreaming Yourself Awake: Lucid Dreaming and Tibetan Dream Yoga for Insight and Transformation
  • The Secret Language of Dreams: A Visual Key to Dreams and Their Meanings
  • 13 Original Clan Mothers: Your Sacred Path to Discovering the Gifts, Talents and Abilities of the Feminine Through the Ancient Teachings of the Sisterhood
  • Animal-Wise: The Spirit Language and Signs of Nature
  • Flying Without a Broom: Astral Projection and the Astral World
  • Walkers Between the Worlds: The Western Mysteries from Shaman to Magus
  • Urban Shaman
  • Avalon Within: A Sacred Journey of Myth, Mystery and Inner Wisdom
  • Jungian Dream Interpretation: A Handbook of Theory and Practice
  • The World of Shamanism: New Views of an Ancient Tradition
  • The Medicine Way: A Shamanic Path to Self Mastery (The "Earth Quest" Series)
  • Trance-Portation Learning to Navigate the Inner World

“Everything that enters our field of perception means something, large or small. Everything speaks to us, if we will take off our headphones and hear a different sound track. Everything corresponds. We travel better in the forest of symbols when we are open and available to all the forms of meaning that are watching†and waiting for us.” 1 likes