Start by marking “Captured by Grace: No One Is Beyond the Reach of a Loving God” as Want to Read:
Captured by Grace: No One Is Beyond the Reach of a Loving God

Captured by Grace: No One Is Beyond the Reach of a Loving God

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  291 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Grace it s a stained-glass, impersonal word until it happens to you . . .
Until you have been broken beyond belief and need a miracle for your soul.Until you have betrayed a loved one and cannot bring him back. Until you have befriendedevery darkness and are desperate for the light.That s when God s relentless, amazing, very personalized grace finds you.
It reached a slave t
Published March 1st 2006 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Captured by Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captured by Grace

Zack
I find myself avoiding material from preachers on TV, as their messages tend to be more watered down and geared toward pleasing the crowds. David Jeremiah pleasantly surprised me with his book Captured by Grace, openly discussing topics such as repentance, suffering, and propitiation. Rarely do you hear such theological gems expounded upon by televangelists. Jeremiah has a rather compelling writing style that made this book quite a page-turner at times. I liked his explanation of the difference ...more
Michael
Amazing Grace would always be my song of praise,for it was grace that bought my liberty! This is a outstanding book about the Grace of God and the love that he shows people in their grace walk. This has taught me many things about my own walk with Christ, it has taught me to be patient and wait on the blessings on God, God loves us unconditionally and that all things work together for good to them that love the Lord and is called towards his purpose, the differences between mercy and grace, etc. ...more
Effie Darlene
I cannot help remembering the day a group of teenagers were throwing rocks at my house over the back fence and broke a window. For them it was a game; when the police came they thought they would go to jail. Instead, I dropped the charges on the condition that each one read a copy of this book which I gave them (I had copies to give away) Indeed, I do know that shortly after one of the boys upon completing the book asked for a Bible. God can do miraculous things when we understand grace
Fylvia
The book Captured by Grace is held together by Apostle Paul and John Newton: Two sinners, centuries apart, whose lives tell the same story of God’s amazing grace. Through their lives and through the insight of many who have examined their lives, Jeremiah invites the reader to join the ranks of the Paul and Newton and partake of God’s amazing grace.

There are few books that I keep after reading; this one will stay on my shelf for sure. The stories, texts and trivia are crucial elements of Jeremiah
Dennis Thurman
Jeremiah is a communicator. The message is on point. Well-illustrated.
Janna
I had high hopes for this book but was only mildly satisfied.

Yes, it deals with the best of all themes -- the grace of God. Jeremiah even uses John Newton and the world's favorite hymn as the story line woven throughout the entire book. I enjoyed these two factors very much!

But, the book overall was a little dry and perhaps too "lesson-ish" for my taste. By chapter seven I was content to skim the phrase by phrase explanations of numerous Bible verses.

Don't get me wrong, Jeremiah makes some excel
Hope Blackwell
Such a wonderful book about the grace and mercy of God. This book will keep you mindful of God's love and sacrifice for His people, and in reading it, you will be more sensitive to God's heart leading to more patience, kindness, and compassion as well as passion for His people!
JR, Mom, Nana
Nov 01, 2007 JR, Mom, Nana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to anyone who would like a better understanding about the grace of God
this book goes thru the Song "Amazing Grace" line by line comparing the life of Paul from the bible and the life of John Newton the author of "Amazing Grace" and what the Word of God says about grace. I am learning how great God's grace is and how it works in my life.
Brendyn
A great book to improve your spiritual walk with Christ. It's a reminder that God's grace is sufficient, and even the worst of us can be forgiven and fully pardoned of our sins through the grace that is found through the salvation found through Jesus Christ.
Great book. I took a lot from this, particularly much of the grace vs. mercy topic. I enjoyed learning about the story behind Amazing Grace, the hymn, while digging into scripture and Paul's journey and discussing grace.
Steven Gagne
Two men that lived centuries apart, whose homes were a great distance apart, and whose upbringing bear no resemblance with the other, had three things in common: they lived lives of evil and destruction, were radically transformed by God, and transcribed powerful words telling us about it. These two men are Apostle Paul (author of two-thirds of the New Testament) and John Newton (the individual that penned the words to the classic hymn "Amazing Grace").

This is a powerful book that uses the stori
Title: CAPTURED BY GRACE
Author: Dr. David Jeremiah
Publisher: Thomas Nelson Publishers
2010
ISBN 978-0-8499-4616-5
Genre: Religion/Christian Life/Inspirational

Whether you are a new believer, a growing Christian, or a seasoned saint, CAPTURED BY GRACE is a volume that needs to be in your library, in your hand, and in your heart. It is, quite simply, the clearest presentation of grace in all of its aspects and attributes that I have ever come across. Teaching from personal experience, allegory, analo
Lynn
Captured by Grace by Dr. David Jeremiah parallels the stories of John Newton and the apostle Paul, two men whose lives are centuries apart but whose lives are both transformed through God's grace. John Newton, an African slave trader in the 1700's, also wrote the song Amazing Grace and Jeremiah uses its lyrics to illustrate God's mercy and grace. Paul, formerly Saul and a killer of Christians until he is saved on the road to Damascus, experiences increasing hardships and Jeremiah uses his story ...more
Christa
Captured by Grace is a nonfiction book about...well you could probably guess...grace! lol. Dr. Jeremiah follows the life of John Newton (famous for penning the hymn "Amazing Grace") and Saul/Paul of the Bible to show the effect God's grace had on them. He really takes a good look at grace; the purpose, where it appears in the Bible, and what it means for us.

This book had a lot of good content, but it was hard for me to get through. I wish he would have gone further into the story of John Newton.
Valerie
Captured by Grace: No One Is Beyond the Reach of a Loving God, is a book about God's Amazing Grace. Using the lives of the Apostle Paul and John Newton, the writer of the Amazing Grace, Dr. Jeremiah teaches about God's grace. Each chapter takes a line from the hymn as its frame.

I especially enjoyed the parts about John Newton. Those were very interesting and held my attention very well. The part about the Apostle Paul, not as much so.

My best gleanings from the book were the difference between m
Jason
Not a short read....a pick it up and can't put it down, read it in a day read. This will take a bit of time.

That being said, it is not dense or difficult. It is just a book that seemed like it needed time to get through it. Going through the verses of the song, Amazing Grace, Dr. Jeremiah parallels the lives of Saul and John Newton...at least multiple times drawing comparisons. However, the real story to me was ultimately how, through God's grace, we can all be used in incredible ways in His kin
Darlene
Dr David Jeremiah is an author, pastor and teaches through 'Turning Point' ministries which is broadcast on radio and television. This, his book on Grace is a call of hope and comfort to Christian believers. In it he tells of the love and forgiveness of God, reminds us to live a life of gratitude and exhorts us to godliness which can only come through belief in God. He writes of how to receive this grace, how to live with grace and how to look to the future in grace. I haven't read a book solely ...more
Jill
I had to give this wonderful book 4 stars only because it is right on target with scripture until pages 205 & 206...salvation. There is never any scripture quoted in the Bible where one says this prayer and is saved. The prayer of faith spoken of in James 5:15 says "Such a prayer offered in faith will heal the sick, and the Lord will make you well. And if you have committed any sins, you will be forgiven." Jesus himself said in Mark 16:16 that "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved ...more
Terrie
If I could give this book more stars I would. It spoke to my heart and soul. Amazing Grace has always been one of my favorite hymns; but having the story of Newton-the life he lived, his salvation and the birth of this song and the teachings of Paul tied together was just what I was needing at this time.
Valerie Van Moorsel
I enjoyed learning about grace from this book, really deepens my understanding and encourages me at the same time. there is nothing like God's grace,mercy and love. if anyone is interested in learning more about what grace is through scripture as well as the famous Amazing Grace hymn i recommend reading this book.
Margaret Fraleigh
Captured by Grace was an awesome story. John Newton wrote the song "Amazing Grace". David
Jeremiah walks us through each line with scripture and lessons. The back cover states
Grace - its a stained-glass, impersonal word until it happens to you.

Karie Hall

In this book we read about a person who begins life as a social outcast , abandoned and abused, yet somehow they become loving and caring.

Saul is among many names we will recognize in this book.All are connected by faith.
This book impacts you deeply, makes you want to make a difference in life, even the smallest things can end up being huge for someone else.

People can do extraordinary things for each other and God.It is all extremely inspirational. The overwhelming feelings are tough to describe
Barbara
Using Paul of Tarsus and slave trader John Newton as examples, Dr. Jeremiah discusses how we all may encounter the Grace of God. The Grace of God is a fountain that never stops flowing.
Luke Landry
David Jeremiah's brings us into the lives of two men John Newton the slave the 17th century slave trader turned anointed hymn writer (Author of Amazing Grace) and the Apostle Paul, who zealously hunted the early church Christians until he was "Captured by grace" and transformed into the greatest Christian missionary the world has ever seen. Throughout the narrative of both these men's lives, Jeremiah shows the reader just how powerful God's grace is and that no matter how bad your sinful past ma ...more
Margaret
Jun 10, 2011 Margaret rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Book Sneeze
Two names that are practically synonomous with "grace" are John Newton (penned the song Amazing Grace) and Paul (formerly known as Saul from the Bible). It is these two personalities that author David Jeremiah takes a closer look at bringing them to life to the reader to learn from their own mistakes and fortunes. This book is about spiritual guidance and while it cannot be absorbed all in one sitting it will definitely get in your heart and help you learn for the good of your soul.

*Thanks to B
Maria Imbrogna
If you have no faith or a longstanding faith, this book is fabulous and affirming that God is a loving, gracious father, who desires us to come to him with open and honest hearts.
Kate
Dr. David Jeremiah is an excellent storyteller and he puts that skill to work in Captured by Grace, telling the tales of Paul the apostle and John Newton–two men whose lives were radically changed when they encountered the living Savior. Where many books on basic Christian theology become stale, this one grows ever more intriguing thanks to a plethora of rich metaphors, invented allegories, and historical retellings.

Continue reading this review: http://parchmentgirl.com/2010/10/08/c...
Deb
The author expands on the way God captures us with His grace using the lives of Paul from the bible and John Newton who wrote "Amazing Grace". I found the details about Newton's life particularly interesting. The author also includes pratical suggestions for how to meditate on and incorporate the lessons used in the reader's own life at the end of each chapter. Very easy to read, harder to actually live out but it's alway great to be challenged to live a better life.
Kim Justice
May 12, 2013 Kim Justice rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kim by: Author
What a wonderful inspirational book! I absolutely love the synopsis of this book. But it only gives you a glimpse into the amazing pages inside!

When I started reading this book I was sort of haphazardly reading. But God stopped me and I had to go back to the beginning and start over.

To read more of my review:
Breath of Life
Matt
Chapter 8 was my favorite part, but it was all worth reading!
Abundant Grace vs Abundant sin (totally depraved beings) 2 14 Jun 29, 2011 04:28PM
  • The Great House of God
  • The Power Of Praying Together
  • Rebel with a Cause
  • The Fitting Room: Putting on the Character of Christ
  • Storm Warning
  • The Source of My Strength: Relying on the Life-Changing Power of Jesus Christ to Heal Our Wounded Hearts
  • Hard to Believe: The High Cost and Infinite Value of Following Jesus
  • The Invisible War: What Every Believer Needs to Know about Satan, Demons, and Spiritual Warfare
  • What the Bible is All About Bible Handbook
  • The Joy of Fearing God
  • Job: A Man of Heroic Endurance (Great Lives from God's Word Series, Volume 7)
  • Seeking Him: Experiencing the Joy of Personal Revival
  • Never Give Up!: Relentless Determination to Overcome Life's Challenges
  • My Heart's Cry
Dr. David Jeremiah, founder of Turning Point Radio and Television Ministries and senior pastor of Shadow Mountain Community Church, felt God’s calling on his life at a very early age. Born February 13, 1941 in Toledo, Ohio, Dr. Jeremiah was raised in a family deeply committed to ministry. At the age of eleven, Dr. Jeremiah and his family moved to Dayton, Ohio where his father, Dr. James T. Jeremia ...more
More about David Jeremiah...
What in the World Is Going On?: 10 Prophetic Clues You Cannot Afford to Ignore The Coming Economic Armageddon I Never Thought I'd See the Day!: Culture at the Crossroads What Are You Afraid Of?: Facing Down Your Fears with Faith Angels: Who They Are and How They Help-What the Bible Reveals