Start by marking “Dakota Child (Dakota, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dakota Child (Dakota, #1)

Dakota Child (Dakota #1)

Trapped in a North Dakota blizzard, single mother Vivian Halliday's prayer for herself and her child is answered. Rescue comes in the seemingly terrifying form of Billy Black, the hulk of a man feared by all the townsfolk. Yet in the home he shares with his ailing mother, the handsome, gentle giant warms her baby's bottles and sings sweet lullabies that lull even Vivian to
Published September 1st 2009 by Steeple Hill Love Inspired Historicals

To ask other readers questions about Dakota Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dakota Child

Karla
The Guy: Big Billy Black, a giant of a guy with a gentle disposition - think Hoss from Bonanza, only with conventional rugged good looks - who lives on the outskirts of a Dakota town with his mother, who is suffering from PTSD from her years as an Indian captive. He loves animals and avoids the town because he's been treated like a monster freak by the townsfolk - not only because of his size, but because of his mother.

The Girl: Vivian Halliday, a local girl who lost her parents and was sent to
Sep 23, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a good, quick read! Billy is a big, hulk of a man with a sweet tender side no one knows about, but his mother. Vivian is a young, kind and brave girl who made a mistake, but was willing to pay the consequences of her actions. Billy and Vivian both have lessons to learn. Each have a past that was hard on them,but in the end they allow God to rule their lives, not what other's think and say. It does take longer for Billy to learn that lesson because of the harsh realities he's had to face. Hi ...more
Gemma
Dec 28, 2010 Gemma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
SheLove2Read
Oct 09, 2009 SheLove2Read rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
** Warning - Spoilers abound. **

I wanted to like this book but there were just so many things wrong with it (from my viewpoint) that I ended up skimming 80% of the book.

Good Points:
The writing itself is good. Its not stilted or choppy and flows nicely. I give any author props for putting their work out there for the world to love and/or criticize. The cover is attractive and draws you to the book to find out more. And I liked the hero a lot, even though I haven't marked him as "hero I loved". H
Jacqueline
I was sent this to review from Tell Harlequin. I tried to read it but I am not really a person who enjoys Christian Fiction. I read the first half and skimmed the last. The story line was just average. I pretty much knew exactly what was going to happen. There was nothing new and surprising.

At the very beginning of the book the heroine is lost in a snow storm with her 2 month old baby. She is praying for God to help her and thinks she will do anything to save the baby yet when a man looms up in
Becky
Oct 12, 2009 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Becky by: thompson.rebekah@gmail.com
It was alright- I'm not a huge fan of the overtly Christian in your face stuff when it comes to fiction, but it was a cute story.
Jamie Kline
Dec 16, 2010 Jamie Kline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harlequin
My opinion: I received this book the other day because I signed up for tellharlequin.com. I got this in the mail and though "Hmmm...it's a historical, but it actually sounds pretty good". And it was! We first meet Vivian Halliday who is stuck out in a snowstorm with nowhere else to go, her 2 month old baby in her arms. Luckily, Billy Black happens to come along and get her to the safety of his cabin. She is fearful at first; she remembered him from her childhood, and while she was always nice to ...more
Anne
Dec 30, 2010 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amy Jacobs
This was my first read in the Love Inspired Historical line by Harlequin. While the book featured great writing skills by the author, Linda Ford, I will say that I don't think I will be reading anymore from this line.

The author has a wonderful gift for writing. The book flowed great and the story was heartfelt. I really loved the character of Billy Black. He was so sweet and patient with the baby that it melted my heart! Here was this large man with a heart of gold, sitting in a rocker and hummi
Salyna
Jul 18, 2014 Salyna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was probably the best Love Inspired book I have read to date. The writing was done so well I felt like I was actually reading a full length novel. The conflict and solution were both very well thought out and played almost perfectly throughout the story. I loved the characters and their own individual quirks and personalities. I haven't yet read anything quite like this.

Some things I didn't like so much were how 'big' Billy was made out to be and how quickly the sub-plot was taken care of
Michelle
Mar 29, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Dakotas
Book 1

Billy is described as a big bear of a man. He needs large meals to keep him going and can be a bit intimidating to look at. In fact, he hides at his farm most of the time with his mother who has her own issues after being kept by the Indians for six years. When he miraculously finds a young woman and her young baby during a blizzard, she is scared of him at first. But she soon learns that he's just a big teddy bear.

I really, really, really loved Billy. He was such a sweet man. I
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
I got this book as a free review copy from Harlequin. It took me awhile to get around to it, but I enjoyed it very much. Even shed a few tears at the end. Always a sign of a good novel. I do want to point out just two points about this novel. First, it's very christian. It's worked in throughout the whole novel. If that would bother you, then skip this novel. It's not done in a bad way. It's not in your face, or over the top, but the main couple in the book have to confront their faith along wit ...more
Stacey B.
*I recieved this book from Tellharlequin.

Overall Impression: This was a pretty good read. I found myself cheering for the two main characters throughout the book hoping that they would be able to figure everything out.

Cover: I loved this cover compared to most other romance novel covers. The cover was very sweet and made me feel warm and cozy.

Characters: I really like the character of Billy. I love his protectiveness of his mother and how he was determined to be nice to everyone and always do t
Rebecca
I received this book as a gift from Harlequin, maybe two years ago already. It was misplaced in a disorganised room, but made it back to the bookshelf a few months ago. I was pleased to see it was from the Love Inspired line, a good indication it could be my kind of story.

And it was! I did find some of it repetitive, with the characters' stubbornness resulting in what seemed to be very similar dialogue over and over. Perhaps they should have just said, "Let's agree to disagree," and the narrativ
Jenr
Jan 05, 2011 Jenr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i shared this book with my mom. she was disappointed that it was a historical. BUT she read it anyways because with the few exceptions of travelling by wagon and a few mentions of surroundings in town, you would harldy notice it was set in an earlier time. also, it seems to be a book written by an author of great Christian faith...but not in an overly "in your face" kind of way. this story made me think... it made me contemplate the people around me and how i perceive them...and it made me consi ...more
Shelley
I'm of two minds on this one. I both really enjoyed it and didn't. Billy's mother's problems seemed both too large and too easily overcome (my first response: Getting captured by Indians gives you autism?!), and Billy's size really baffled me. Are we talking a Hagrid-sized man? An entire town of people were really that afraid of size? A lot of it must have been in his imagination. But I liked Billy and Vivian a lot, loved following their journeys, and really appreciated the many snowbound in a b ...more
Dorcas
When I first opened this book I wasn't quite sure what I was reading. The male main character seemed too... how shall I put it...caveman? And his mother too insane for believability, I didn't know what to make of it. But as you read on you start to understand the PTS involved with the mother's "moods" and the true gem of a man found in the "gentle giant". I like a story that makes me feel something and this story does that. A touching, sweet read.
Aug 11, 2014 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has it all ayoung women with a baby coming for help in a community where many didn't want her and how the outcaste of the community not only took her in but helped her even when they didn't want any part of the community who didn't want them, but there were a few who remembered the orphan and her family who were suppotive of her. The ending was pure storybook and I enjoyed reading how heartwarming it is that in your darkest moments there is help. Another good inspirational book.
Maleah
Dec 27, 2013 Maleah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book about redemption and forgiveness. It actually has a lot of content. That will both make you think and question the characters. I love surprises! So I found this book fun. And as a longtime babysitter the mother/baby story was contenting.
My only annoyance was the stress put on the main characters size. Other than that I read the book happily and quickly.
Deanna
Dec 28, 2010 Deanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as part of the Harlequin Ambassadors Club. If you like a romance infused with christian spirituality then this is the book for you. A sweet gentle story of two outcasts from society - one by choice and the other by a 'sinful' mistake. The author certainly knows her Bible and includes many passages from it.
Melissa
Aug 31, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for hot love scenes, this is not the book. This is a soft and gentle walk to finding true love.
Two very sad lives bring new hope to one another. There are many bible verses and lessons to be learned in this book.
I thought it sweet, with humour and truth.
I would suggest this as a read.
Beth - ;)
I almost put this book into the gave up category. It started out really slowly and I was not really interested but persevered because it was sent to me as a survey book so I felt I should read it to give a proper opinion. It did pick up but was really just a basic romance, no suspense or mystery at all which is what I like to have in a book.
Rachael
Dec 26, 2010 Rachael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not at all the typical Harlequin novel. This is from their Inspirational/Historical line, no between the sheets scenes at all. My only qualm with the book was the transformation in one of the characters seemed to be rushed & should have been handled differently. Other than that I loved this book, I cried at least once, possibly twice, and couldn't put it down.
Bradley
A not so trashy romance. Plenty of Bible passages and warm feelings. Not bad for an inspirational story. Got this one from my wife's older sister. The funny thing was I had declared I was not going to read it. Ah well. =)
Danielle
This was an okay read. I enjoyed the love aspect and the obstacles the characters had to face. The only problem I have is the religious aspect and historical aspect to it. It just isn't my cup of tea. If I overlook that then it was great. Just not what I am into.
Patriciaw
Jan 24, 2011 Patriciaw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about judgment and forgiveness. Judging people without knowing who they truly are. Forgiving ourselves and others as much as God forgives us, again and again. I love the gentle romance that develops between Vivian and Big Billy. A delightful read.
Candice
This is not my preferred genre of books but i liked it. The storyline flowed well although very predictable. i dont really have any complaints about this book. it's a 3 star for me because it is not my preferred genre and therefor was harder for me to sit down and enjoy.
Paige
Jan 23, 2011 Paige rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This was a good book. It is a christian story (no sexual content), with christian values about a girl that has a child, and meets the tall outcast male. He shows compassion for the visitors and they fall in love. I'm trying not to give away the plot lines and such. You should check it out.
Andrea
Dec 29, 2010 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book from the publisher and had to do a survey about it. This book was really so-so. Not my cup of tea however it wasn't the most aweful book I have ever read either. There were a few good parts in it however the leads fell kinda flat for me.
Mindy Bollinger
Aug 12, 2012 Mindy Bollinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read
Loved this book. You don't see many books that have the guy taking care and falling in love with the baby that he helped rescue and how the little baby changed his life and those around him
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Kansas Courtship (After the Storm: The Founding Years, #3)
  • Heartland Wedding (After the Storm: The Founding Years, #2)
  • Mail Order Cowboy (Brides of Simpson Creek, #1)
  • Seaside Cinderella (Nantucket Island, #1)
  • The Gladiator
  • In a Mother's Arms: Finally a Family / Home Again
  • The Unlikely Wife (Bowen, #2)
  • Courting the Doctor's Daughter
  • The Preacher's Wife
  • The Hand-Me-Down Family
  • The Captain's Lady
  • Her Patchwork Family (Gabriel Sisters, #2)
Linda Ford grew up devouring books and making up stories in her head—often late at night when she couldn't sleep. But she hadn't planned to write. Instead, she dreamed of running an orphanage. In a way, that dream came true. She married, had four homemade children, adopted ten and lived (at times, endured) the dream.

Writing first took her to non-fiction human-interest articles for newspapers and
More about Linda Ford...