Chasing Clayoquot

Chasing Clayoquot

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  6 reviews

First published in 2004, and now with a new introduction by the author and a foreword by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., this book of natural history, environmentalism, and politics explores one of the Earth's last primeval places: Clayoquot Sound. Pitt-Brooke takes the reader on 12 journeys, one for each month of the year. Each journey covers the outstanding natural event of that

Published June 1st 2010 by Greystone Books (first published February 11th 2005)

David Barnes
Chasing Clayoquot is a book I have read several times over. If you are a fan of Wade Davis you will relate to David Pitt-Brooke and his approach to exploring the deep unseen world of this ecological gem, and part of my west coast backyard. In his book, Pitt-Brooke defines his home in months of the year and describes the life-cycled of the Clayoquot region of Vancouver Island, near Tofino.
It is poetic at times, horrifically threatened and a world unto its own. My own experiences as a sea kayaker...more
Kim
This is the most luscious book I've read. While non-fiction, you can dream of the virginal places that the author describes throughout an entire year. You will yearn to be at his side, fighting the battle to save the gentle forests of Vancouver Island.

If you are a treehugger (even at heart), a well-intended hippie, or a fan of Julia Butterfly Hill, this is a must read!!!!
Gill
This book, written in elegant but readable prose, transports the reader to one of the world's most pristine wilderness areas. Each chapter represents a new month, tackling issues of wildlife and the region's native peoples. Beautifully written. I spent my honeymoon on Chesterman Beach, picked up this book and loved it.
Paul Hoy
Still reading, but the book would have shone with some serious editing.
Slowest read in awhile. Some parts shine, only to be mired in pointless narrative.
- this book is only 287 pages, but it has taken almost a month to get through. There are moments when the writing is evocative and worth reading; however, overall, the text needs an editor. There are much better naturalist-oriented books out there.
Sheryl
Aug 31, 2011 Sheryl marked it as to-read
A friend of a friend wrote about this area where I first fell in love with BC!
Deanette
Another must-read.
Katie B.
Katie B. is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2014
Jennifer Cullen
Jennifer Cullen marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2013
Wendy Feltham
Wendy Feltham marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Diandra
Diandra marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Old Salt
Old Salt marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2013
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Jgfools
Jgfools marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2012
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2012