Start by marking “Garden of Darkness (Pale Immortal, #2)” as Want to Read:
Garden of Darkness (Pale Immortal, #2)

Garden of Darkness (Pale Immortal #2)

Haunted by both the town of Tuonela and the betrayal of Evan Stroud, medical examiner Rachel Burton tries to leave, but is brought back by the skinned body found in the woods. Others are coming to Tuonela, drawn to the legend of the Pale Immortal, the so-called vampire whose exhumed body is now on display. And others will die.

As Evan succumbs to madness, those around him
Published December 4th 2007 by Onyx

To ask other readers questions about Garden of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Garden of Darkness

Kellie
Mar 19, 2012 Kellie rated it it was ok
An easy read, but that's about all I can say for it. Not a good sequel at all. Pale Immortal was a good mystery, not supernatural at all. This was way into the supernatural and just didn't fit.

What's with not clarifying who (or what) committed the two murders? And what was with having the chapters with Kristin's character told in first-person, when the rest of the book was told in third-person? I just didn't understand the need for that.

It's definitely left open in the end for another sequel; I'
Coreen Arioto
Garden of Darkness

This was weirdest book I've ever read. It was boring and twisted crazy good. I don't like this type storyline but I had to read till the end and find out how it ended
S E Wendeler-Short
If I were a dog, this would be a tail banger.

A multifaceted parapsychological story taking place in a Twilight Zone town that's hard to leave, even when just reading about it. I am addicted to this author's work.
Linda Hallock
May 18, 2017 Linda Hallock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Different Book

This book was quite different from what I usually read. It was quite captivating once I got into it though!
Jamie Sides
Not good

Not what I expected. The first book was so good and this one was disappointing. Maybe the next one will be better
Johanna
Mar 30, 2012 Johanna rated it liked it
Garden of Darkness
(Tuonela Book #2)
by Anne Frasier

Genre: Supernatural Thriller

Rachel Burton tried to leave, but the killing brought her back. The skinned body was found in the woods, just as Rachel—the town medical examiner—was driving out of Tuonela for good, or so she thought. Now her baby will be born here, and the betrayal of Evan Stroud—the man she’s always loved, the man who can never see the light of day—will continue to haunt her waking and sleeping hours…

Others are coming to Tuonela, d
Sherry Bledsoe
Mar 03, 2017 Sherry Bledsoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than first book...

Better than first book. Of course, like all serial books, it left me with the desire to reach the end and tie up all the lose ends. I am surprised how much I liked this book when the first was so lacking but I did enjoy this book. Now I want to read the next book, if its available and which I hope is the ending.
Jennifer Brickner
Mar 05, 2017 Jennifer Brickner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these characters. The plot wasn't all I hoped. Is this mystery or horror? Last one was a mystery with lots of Coroner/ME action - this one concentrated on going ons in the museum too much for me. Would I read it again? Yes. Very exciting!
Jennifer  (Books That Hook)

Garden of Darkness was a strange book in both the way it was written and in the subject matter.

Rachel, who is pregnant, has to stay in town to do the autopsy of a person who was skinned.

Meanwhile, Kristen and others, come to town to make a mocking documentary about the weirdos who believe in vampires and have put The Pale Immortal’s dead body in a museum.

Evan is busy digging all over the place for…something. His son gets involved with Kristen.

Evan finds bodies. His father, the sheriff,
Vivian
Jan 10, 2017 Vivian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Graham wasn't sure if changing his last name to Stroud was a good idea. After all, his father, Evan, was known as the town freak. The living vampire in the town of Tounela; also knows as Land of the Dead. Didn't that make him a freak, too?

Rachel was ready to head out of town before the Mayor stopped her and practically begged her to stay. Being the only ME and coroner had its advantages and disadvantages. Now pregnant, she resolved to stay. No one questioned who the father was and she was in hu
Sophie
Oct 10, 2011 Sophie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-books
After finishing Pale Immortal I didn't think I would be that interested in reading the sequel, but when I found Garden of Darkness at the library, I picked it up--I'm glad I did. I think Garden is better than Pale Immortal. It's more atmospheric, more involving, and much creepier. The kind of book that made me a little uneasy to read at night. At the end of Pale Immortal, I was worried the author was taking the story in a paranormal direction I wouldn't be interested in, but she was able to make ...more
Allizabeth Collins
Aug 17, 2011 Allizabeth Collins rated it did not like it
Anne Frasier's Garden of Darkness, sequel to Pale Immortal, continued the saga between Rachel Burton and Evan Stroud, suspected vampire. Pale Immortal was fast paced and kept the reader guessing until its pulse-pounding ending, but the sequel was sluggish and awkward, leaving the reader bored and often confused. I have read other Anne Frasier novels and have never had a problem with her writing until now. Transitions were terrible, as was the unfathomable plot, at least the first book was semi-b ...more
Rowan
Mar 20, 2013 Rowan rated it did not like it
This book had the prospects of being a very interesting story. Unfortunately, it turned into a good idea poorly executed. It was impossible to follow because the writer changed from third person perspective to first person perspective without warning, causing enough confusion to ruin what could have been a good read. Extremely disappointing!

I read Garden of Darkness before Pale Immortal (book one in the series.) I dismissed reading Pale Immortal because of the poor writing exhibited in Garden o
Barbara ★
I found this book to be a huge disappointment after Pale Immortal. Pale Immortal was all action, this sequel is boring as hell with lots of filler. Evan is totally whacked out, his son Graham is totally overwhelmed by the situation in town, Rachel can't make up her mind whether to stay or leave town, the film crew is irritating as hell and the Witch's Brew coven is also getting into the mix. It gets a little better after the journal is found but still nowhere near as good as the first book.
Bob
Aug 01, 2008 Bob rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of horror fiction
Pinning down the protagonist of this fast-paced tale of horror from Anne Frasier, proved difficult. It seemed a shared effort among vidio journalist, Kristin Blackmoore; father and son residents of Tuonela, Evan and Graham Stroud; and local coroner, Rachael Burton. But that didn't stop the story of awakened evil, troubling the small town of Tuonela from immedeately pulling me in and holding my interest all the way to the somewhat anti-climactic ending. All things considered, I found the book wel ...more
Tina Bailey
Aug 25, 2016 Tina Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So great and different from Anne Frasier

I have read all of Anne's psychological thrillers, and I loved every one. They offered all I could stand and more. This series is the same way, it pulls you into a little town that has some good people and bad, but also some scary, creepy beings or entities. I will read the next because Anne makes my heart pound, my stomach quake, and keeps me pulled in until the last word!
Bonnie Matthews
Sep 28, 2015 Bonnie Matthews rated it it was amazing
This was the second book in the series. I wish that there would be more but apparently it is only a two book deal. It was really good, it follows the same people in book one, without giving away too much, the vampire is real. I love Anne Fraser, her writing is fantastic and i will be reading more of her work. I've already read quite a few of hers but I've been seeing lots more that I haven't read.
Draco
Jan 14, 2010 Draco rated it really liked it
Good, fast read, but a number of typos... >.<
Not your typical vampire novel. Probably not for you if you want a romanticized monster. Evan Stroud is presented as a man with a skin condition that keeps him nocturnal and a mental state on the brink of madness due to his peers and environment.

Editorial reviews claim Frasier's writing is creepy...I guess it depends mostly on the audience and their exposure to creepier things. :/This wouldn't bother me for before bed reading but that's just me.
Nikki Campana
Feb 21, 2013 Nikki Campana rated it it was ok
Anne Frasier's Pale Immortal had left me wanting more. It was fast paced and kept you guessing until the end. I couldn’t wait to read the sequel. The sequel Garden of Darkness left me bored, confused and with lots of lingering questions at the conclusion of the book. I’ve read quite a few of Anne Frasier’ novels and was highly disappointed in this book.
Jami Caldwell
Sep 20, 2015 Jami Caldwell rated it liked it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I actually put this down about 65% through.... Wasn't a fan of the supernatural angles that almost seemed full of existential angst. Loved all author's books, the "Dead" series.... even enjoyed the prequel to this, the relationships between characters were solid & I wanted more..... but this one disappointed me. Moving on to "Before I Wake"....
Edmund Leow
Sep 27, 2011 Edmund Leow rated it liked it
This book kept me glued for most of it. There was a lot of potential to the story and Frasier succeeded in building it up very well. It made you hold your breath in anticipation for something big to happen. However, it was a shame that the author delivered a hastily-wrapped-up anti-climax instead, almost like she ran out of ink or something!
Jan
Jan 22, 2013 Jan rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Some good some bad. So far all the books I have read by Anne Frasier makes me feel as though I am missing the first book. Or just walked in on a conversation that has been going on for a while. A very odd feeling.
Bella Street
May 05, 2014 Bella Street rated it really liked it
Ghoulish vamp novel not for the faint of heart. Compelling characters and great writing kept me reading, even when things took an even darker turn. Man, there is some whack stuff in here, making me wonder if the author has to sleep with a night light!
Julie Albright
Jan 03, 2017 Julie Albright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very intense and strange, I couldn't put it down!!

Two books a friend of the dead were very exciting and thrilling to me . Sometimes heart stopping sometimes heart rendering sometimes hurt melting.
LINDA
Oct 21, 2016 LINDA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
liked it

a new twist on and old love story .On to the next chapter .Real page turner my kindles battery gave out just before the last 2 chapters .Had to wait til I got enough charge to finish .
Marie Mitchell
Sep 09, 2016 Marie Mitchell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Drawn out is an understatement

I have liked this book least of any of Anne Frasier s work. I also quit reading g multiple times.
Page  Pennington
Apr 12, 2015 Page Pennington rated it liked it
I enjoyed this different take on the vampire genre. Will be looking for the other books.
Emily Shearer
Sep 05, 2013 Emily Shearer rated it it was ok
I stopped reading this book with 50 pages left. That's a first for me. I ALWAYS finish reading a book. It was just that boring. I ciuld not get myself to finish
Doris Pierce
Feb 16, 2016 Doris Pierce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read

This book was edge of my set couldnt but it down and I read the other two books they were great to.
Becky
Dec 28, 2012 Becky added it
the rest of the story...mostly...left so as it could be picked up again...good read.
  • No Fear
  • Staked (Time Brokers, #1)
  • The Trouble With Green
  • Lights, Camera...Monsters (Monsters in Hollywood, #1)
  • Logan's Redemption
  • Legacy
  • Ashes
  • In the Spotlight (Mayne Attraction, #1)
  • Counterfeit Lady
  • Saying Goodbye to the Sun
  • The Last Killiney (Ravenna Evans, #1)
  • Dark Prelude
  • The Wild Sight
  • Love's Magic (Boadicea, #1)
  • Dark Legacy
  • Sweet Baklava
  • Ancient Awakening
  • House Report
Anne Frasier (a.k.a. Theresa Weir) is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of thirty-plus books and numerous short stories that have spanned the genres of suspense, mystery, thriller, romantic suspense, paranormal, fantasy, and memoir. During her award-winning career, she's written for Penguin Putnam, Simon & Schuster, HarperCollins Publishers, Bantam Books/Random House, Silhouett ...more
More about Anne Frasier...

Pale Immortal (2 books)
  • Pale Immortal (Pale Immortal, #1)

“she’d looked moments ago. He couldn’t do” 0 likes
“People wore public masks, but it was the private masks, the masks we wore to fool ourselves, that were the scariest and most disturbing.” 0 likes