Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories, 1902-1903

Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories, 1902-1903

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  14 reviews

Lucy Maud Montgomery, (always called "Maud" by family and friends) and publicly known as L. M. Montgomery, (1874-1942) was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables (1908). In 1893, following the completion of her grade school education in Cavendish, she attended Prince of Wales College in Charlottetown. Completing a two year

Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2008)

Timothy Stone
L. M. Montgomery shines again in this second compilation of her short stories, this time those that were published in 1902-1903. The same whimsical, funny, and wholesome sweetness that she would later become known for in her Anne Shirley series, was on display in these earlier published tales.

I won't say much on the overall quality of the writing, as that was already covered in the review on the first volume of the short stories, those between 1896-1901. The quality is vintage Montgomery, excep...more
Maria
L.M. Montgomery is a genius. Probably many people have said that, but I mean it. I've been absorbing all her short stories over the past four days, and though I like the 'him-her' ones best, they're all fantastic.

In the later ones there's hints of Anne's House of Dreams and Anne of Avonlea, and even an entire chapter from Anne of Green Gables, but I don't mind. And wouldn't it be funny if that 'short story' is what prompted all of Anne?

The stories are from 1899 to 1928, and there are certain thr...more
Cindy Winder delong
Add this author to my list of favorites. Sweet stories with happy endings.
Trine
A wonderful selection of short stories over all kinds of topics, although the three Christmas stories are very alike. It is hard for me to pick a favorite but The Running Away of Chester is one of them with its very detailed description of Chester's plight. And The Strike at Putney is hilarious and quite unusual. As for romances I have always liked An Unconventional Confidence and it still holds its charm.
Hannah
These stories were sort of whimsical. Often they had sad or prideful elements, and the conflicts were always characters clashing with other characters. In the end, though, some happy conclusion was reached, often by one of the characters admitting a mistake on their part and apologizing, which was interesting. I enjoyed these but wasn't necessarily moved by them.
Shenek
I've been listening to these on Librivox. Some of the readers are great and some are well...not. Some of the stories feel like they came straight from Louisa May Alcott. And others are so incredibly sappy that I laugh. But they make my kitchen chores go by quickly and I've been enjoying myself.
Carrie
Again, if you enjoy simple, well-written, happy-ending stories, then you are going to love this collection by L.M. Montgomery. These are what I would consider to be, perfect bedtime reading. I go to sleep, happy, content that all is right in the world. Or at least in her world.
JoAnn
My favorites are: An Unconventional Confidence, The Bride Roses, The Old Chest at Wyther Grange, The Romance of Aunt Beatrice, The Martyrdom of Estelle, and The Running Away of Chester.
D'face
I am currently listening to this on Librivox and enjoying it very much. I confess to often being prompted to tears by these lovely corny stories.
Duane
An excellent group of short stories by Montgomery, one of my favorite. What a nice way to finish off another wonderful year of reading.
Meg
Like the previous collection, these are enjoyable but brief reads - it's still interesting to see when she's reused an idea or plot.
Allison
More lovely short stories from L.M. Montgomery. They are so full of fun characters and it's very easy to get into each story.
Corey
Yet another delightful grouping of LMM's works. I read this on the Kindle for free.
Cindy
The stories are improving and there were a lot that were 4 star quality.
Mena
Mena marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Holly Bastian
Holly Bastian marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Kori Johnson
Kori Johnson marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Laura Yona
Laura Yona marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Luci Davin
Luci Davin marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Amanda Rusher
Amanda Rusher marked it as to-read
Annalise Joy
Annalise Joy marked it as to-read
Lisa Gray-Wright
Lisa Gray-Wright marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911...more
More about L.M. Montgomery...
Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) The Complete Anne of Green Gables Boxed Set (Anne of Green Gables, #1-8) Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3) Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2) Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)