Neuromarketing: Understanding the Buy Buttons in Your Customer's Brain

Neuromarketing: Understanding the Buy Buttons in Your Customer's Brain

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  14 reviews
How can the latest brain research help increase your sales?

Because paople are inundated daily by an average of 10,000 sales messages, selling is now tougher than ever. That's why you need to learn what neuroscience has uncovered that will immediately increase your selling and influencing effectiveness.

Unveiling the latest brain research and revolutionary marketing practice...more
Published October 2nd 2007 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published December 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Neuromarketing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neuromarketing

Yasmina
Current rating 2.5/5

I haven't finished it yet but my enthusiasm is quickly diminishing as I'm making progress.

The author offers some really good advice about how to effectively deliver your message. However, a lot of his examples are either established truths that are not necessarily a result of ground-breaking research (e.g open up your presentation with a grabber), and others I'm very skeptical about (e.g before and after weight loss pictures in print ads always look fishy to me).

My main prob...more
Ash Moran
I have mixed feelings about this. There's some interesting psychology that explains the sales and marketing process, but it's not especially detailed. Also the examples are variable - some I really bought into and will definitely try to replicate, others felt very tenuous.

I recommend reading The Power of Persuasion and A Mind of its Own for a more detailed look at the psychology. I've used the principles in Trust-Based Selling for years, and Neuromarketing supports and enhances this. It's also r...more
Chris Sanfilippo
This book was ok. I really like learning about the old "reptilian brain". The one thing I really took from this was how images have a huge effect on first impression. This is helpful if you're in internet marketing and care about conversion rate optimization. Check out www.conversionxl.com/blog for a really detailed explanation of that (not my blog, just a really helpful site).
Tommy
Very simplistic overview.

Decent concept of old brain - did not need to be 230 pages long.
Michael Weaver
As a introductory book it is good but for someone looking for more, it wont deliver. It did well diving into the keep it simple stupid philosophy. He did a adequate job giving an contrast overview between emotional and rationalized motivated purchases which; gave decent ground to these strategies which made them novel at best but were far less than revolutionary. I was also disappointed that the author did not go into any real depth on or spend a lot of time on the functional aspects of cognitiv...more
Doc
A book for salespeople. I am not a salesperson, so I was always aware of the rah, rah, of the sensation of being both the hunter and the hunted.
Nevertheless, the book is clearly and concisely written and applies many of the principals it propounds.
The main thesis is that presenters should aim at the "old brain," the primitive fight-or-flight, what's-in-it-for me lizard brain. I found that idea valid and believe I can apply the principals based on it to the presentations that I have to give, so I...more
Vastine Stabler
Don't read this expecting any in depth study in the correlation between neuroscience and marketing. This is a primer for basic advice for salesmen couched with a few very basic terms in neuroscience. This new field is exploding and I am sure that there is or will be good books written on the subject. Aside form the great cover there is little to recumbent. My first clue should have been when I looked at the list of his sources. Be warned, skip this book!
Nick
These two marketers take some of the recent findings about the way our minds work and apply them to marketing. The result is a breezy, quick read that looks sometimes like the old marketing -- "make it about the customer, not about you"-- but does contain a number of interesting insights and useful tips for anyone trying to be persuasive and memorable.
Marc  Binkley
The book is interesting and gave me lots to think about. However, I found myself questioning their studies. I'm sure the authors are not making up the content, but I'd rather read about specific studies that the authors then unpack the insights on.
Kevin Harris
Interesting look into how the brain makes decisions -- will cause you to think about your approach to sales and presentations.
Daniel Reading
No real depth but I guess it does highlight some good sales tips. Or just communication tips in general.
Marianne
I really found this useful, and I'm typically not a fan of "how to" business books.
Jerry
Takes you deep into your brain..deep.
Jon
Dec 01, 2011 Jon is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far so great!
Jack Green
Jack Green marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Daniela
Daniela marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Tindriel
Tindriel is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2014
Dada
Dada marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Constantine Frantzeskos
Constantine Frantzeskos marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Alisha
Alisha marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Ciprian Soleriu
Ciprian Soleriu marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Mayank Chaubey
Mayank Chaubey marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Lara Huchteman
Lara Huchteman marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
  • Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing
  • The Person and the Situation: Perspectives of Social Psychology
  • Out of Character: Surprising Truths About the Liar, Cheat, Sinner (and Saint) Lurking in All of Us
  • Beyond Culture
  • How Customers Think: Essential Insights into the Mind of the Market
  • Fascinate: Unlocking the Secret Triggers of Influence, Persuasion, and Captivation
  • Priceless: The Myth of Fair Value (and How to Take Advantage of It)
  • Mindfulness
  • Brandwashed
  • Numbers Rule Your World: The Hidden Influence of Probabilities and Statistics on Everything You Do
  • Sleights of Mind: What the Neuroscience of Magic Reveals about Our Everyday Deceptions
  • Redirect: The Surprising New Science of Psychological Change
  • The Ultimate Sales Letter: Attract New Customers. Boost Your Sales
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • Scientific Advertising
  • The Optimism Bias: A Tour of the Irrationally Positive Brain
  • Social Engineering: The Art of Human Hacking
  • Emotional Branding: The New Paradigm for Connecting Brands to People
Selling to the Old Brain: How New Discoveries In Brain Research Empower You To Influence Any Audience, Anytime