The Damascus Way

The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith #3)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  1,073 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Julia has everything money can buy...except for acceptance by either the Gentiles or the Jews. Her Greek father already has a wife and family, leaving Julia and her Hebrew mother second-class citizens. But when they are introduced to followers of the Way, they become part of that community of believers.
Abigail's brother, Jacob, now a young man, is attempting to discover h...more
Paperback, Large Print, 538 pages
Published January 1st 2011 by Bethany House Publishers (first published November 20th 2010)

Regina
The Acts of Faith series is a must read! Reading the book, The Damascus Way, grabbed me and drew me in from the first page. Sure it wasn't thrill seeking, but it describing how she felt, it was in a way that would draw the reader in.

I never thought I could get into a Biblical series like this series, but I did and I want to find more books like it.
The Damascus Way by authors Davis Bunn & Janette Oke, is the third book in the Acts of Faith Series. It does not disappoint.

This series takes part after the resurrection of Christ, in the early days and each book has kept me entertained for hours. In this book, we are introduced to Julia, who has everything that money can buy because of her merchant father. But, she discovers a secret about her family that threatens to destroy her relationship with her father and she is devastated.

We also t...more
Eneida
Erin
The third book in the "Acts of Faith" series" takes place 5 years after the events of book 2. This time the story is to center on Abigail's younger brother, Jacob and Julia, the daughter of the leader of the caravan. While I enjoyed the previous two books in the series with a relish and a just couldn't put it down type of vigour, book #3 was in some places disappointing. I just didn't feel that the characters of Julia and Jacob were that interesting. I am guessing that the authors must have felt...more
Francie ( glitter glu )
did not like the series. i only read half of the third book because i just i am not liking these books.
Elaine
Title: The Damascus Way.

Author: Davis Bunn and Janette Oke.

Genre: Christian, Historical Fiction, Biblical Retelling, Romance, Sequel.

Plot: Julia, the only daughter of wealthy merchant Jamal, has everything in life that money can buy. A wonderful palace to call home, fine clothes, plenty of food, servants to wait on her - yet she and her mother Helen live a very lonely existence between her father's visits. When Julia learns the secret why they are shunned, her world is thrown into chaos and only...more
Gerald Curtis

I like fictionalized accounts about Bible accounts and people. I enjoy the backgrounds given into the culture and places, and thinking about what the day-to-day lives of the people involved might have been like, giving more insights to what I got from just reading the scriptures.

However, I will not be reading anymore of this author’s attempts. I have read two of his New Testament novels, and in my opinion, 80 – 90% of what he presents is pure fiction having nothing to do with the scriptural acco...more
Jenna
Enjoyed this series weaving historical figures from the Bible with fictional characters that may have lived at that time. So interesting to consider how it must have felt to be one of those early Christians. I also thought the idea of Revelation being about the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70 interesting. This makes me want to read some Josephus and learn more about the history we know surrounding this time.
bookme4life
This is the third book in the Acts of Faith series, following The Centurion's Wife and The Hidden Flame (Acts of Faith Series #2). It brings together characters from the previous books and adds a new set. And as with those, events and people from the Book of Acts in the Bible are interwoven into this story. As the title hints, Saul of Tarsus also plays a role, though mostly secondary.

If you're looking for gritty realism, this isn't the book (or even series) for you. The stories are gently told a...more
Davina Sinclair
Great page turner, following the various different characters who are "followers of the way". While clearly a fiction book it includes the characters of Philip and Saul (Paul) in the Bible and give an idea of the culture and dangers of the day i.e they paint a picture of the dangers and hazards on the road to Samaria (useful to help imagine the parable of good samaritan). I like the depiction of Saul and love one of the quotes from Philip "How can I live so that when someone sees me they are poi...more
Susan
First one of the series was my favorite. This one was ok. Tied up loose ends with characters and was a fascinating look at the persecution of Christians after the crucifixion of Jesus. This book actually talks about Saul and his conversion. Biblical history was good and it gave you a real sense of the land where everything began.
Caroline
The Acts of Faith series helps me to realize how human and real the people of first-century Jerusalem were. Historical cultural details, mixed with the intimate struggles of fictional characters, help me appreciate the book of Acts so much more -- knowing the real Stephen and Martha and Philip were people like us, relying on the same God and learning of the same Messiah.

Reading each book, I'd remember certain events from the Bible that I knew must take place. But not knowing the details of exac...more
Carolyn
I've been thoroughly enjoying this series, which essentially dramatized key events from the Book of Acts. Annoyingly here, however, the key dramatic/Biblical events felt more skimmed over, while the "drama" of the historical fiction characters was amplified. That would be all well and good, except that the "drama" of the historical fiction characters wasn't particularly good, because the authors were trying so hard to make them into perfect-little-faithful-Christians. In that pursuit of faithful...more
Debra Abee
This book was an enjoyable read and thought provoking. The story line was slow at first and I had to push my way through the first couple of chapters. But, as I read along I found myself getting involved with the story. I also, found that I examined my own faith and where I stood with my Lord. I recommend this read to anyone interested in this genre of reading.

I have read all three of Bunn and Oke's Acts of Faith series book. I would like to read more "Acts of Faith" when available from Davis B...more
Shantelle Mary
The Damascus Way is the last book to the Acts of Faith series, I believe. I enjoyed it, and also liked how Alban, Abigail, Jacob, and Linux, from the previous two books, were included in this story. It was nice to see how their stories went on.
I probably liked The Damascus Way best of the three books in this series, though it too, seemed to drag on a little at points. But it was interesting, having a more personal look at the days of the early church, and also, Saul of Tarsus’s conversion. So...more
Sandy
This is a great series. A little predictable at times but interesting none-the-less. Biblical historical fiction is always interesting to me, imagining the interactions and the other things happening around the Bible events we know so well.
Phyllis C
The series concludes. Good fiction accounts of what life may have been like for the early Christians.
Sherri
Stephanie Mccall
A good conclusion to the Acts of Faith series, though not as compelling as books one and two. Julia is a well-drawn character, but the flat characters and often summarized events around her take away some of her luster and growth. Also, despite discussions of Saul and hints of his conversion, Bunn does not delve nearly as deeply into that part of Acts, or the early church, as I would have liked. Recommended: So Shines the Night, T.L. Higley. Similar historical context in terms of the early churc...more
Paula
This book was really good. I missed the second one in the series but I wasn't lost at all.
Missy
Josiah
This is the third book in the Acts of Faith series, another romance woven around New Testament characters, and fairly historically accurate.

In this volume we follow Abigail, widow of Stephen; their daughter Dorcas; Martha, sister of Lazarus; Jamal and his families; Alban, Linux, Jacob; and Saul. The story centers around Jerusalem, Nain, and Tiberius.

Writing: C
Vocabulary: A
Level: Moderate
Rating: PG (mention of concepts of fornication, murder, banditry, racism)
Worldview: Christian
Terri
I really liked this series a lot....it filled in all the little spaces with possibilities in the lives of people who get mentioned in the bible but stops there. and then brought a vision to mind on how hard the beginning church times were. very good series
Trish
This is the third in their Acts of Faith series. I enjoyed this one just as much as the first two, especially once I realized that the title was referring to the conversion of Saul and was looking forward to seeing how the story would lead us to that point. This is a wonderful book that ties in people that Jesus met and spoke to with fictional characters and circumstances in an exciting and encouraging way. Definitely a strong finish to the series!
Le Moore
I found this book in immensely interesting. As I read the book, I found myself searching the bible. This book seemed very accurate as to the events and places it mentioned. To read about people who were living in the period just after Jesus arose from the dead, was fascinating. It made me think about the persecution of the early Christians and what the people really lived through. I don't believe I've ever thought about it from this perspective.
Monica
I fell in love with this book's characters, Jacob, Julia, Abigail, Linux, and the rest. Here is a group of people who follow the Lord even through their fears and even their doubts.

Reading Bunn and Oak's series "Acts of Faith" has inspired me to pray with all my heart. So many miracles occured because of their fervent prayers.

I loved the way I could trace happenings back to the Biblical event and how these books made them real, alive to me.
Tricia Mills
This is the third book in the series. This is another fantastic work of these two authors. What an amazing trek this book takes further expanding on other characters from the previous books. I can not wait to read the next in this series. These books have so much history sprinkled in them that it just brings the story of Jesus and the Christian walk to life! I would definitely read this book again!
Denise
This is the third book in the series. It has been awhile since I've read the first two, but I really enjoyed the story of Abigail and Jacob. I enjoy stories taking place during New Testament times.
Allen Steele
A good conclusion to this series. Abigal marries Linux the Roman soldier. Jacob & Julia marry..Quite a lot of circumstances the characters find themselves in that require prayer, so they trust God. it works out for them.God is always big enough and can speak to you at anytime through others, his word & prayer. This book series taught me to be ready to recieve instruction from many sources.
  • Bathsheba (The Wives of King David #3)
  • The Red Geranium
  • Love Amid The Ashes (Treasure Of His Love)
  • Here Burns My Candle (Here Burns My Candle, #1)
  • Fourth Dawn (A.D. Chronicles #4)
  • Martha
  • Harvest of Rubies (Harvest of Rubies, #1)
Davis Bunn is an internationally-acclaimed author who has sold more than six million books in sixteen languages. Honored with three Christy Awards for excellence in historical and suspense fiction, his bestsellers include; The Great Divide, Winner Take All, The Meeting Place, The Book of Hours, and The Quilt. A sought-after lecturer in the art of writing, Bunn was named Novelist in Residence at Re...more
More about Davis Bunn...
The Centurion's Wife (Acts of Faith, #1) The Hidden Flame (Acts of Faith, #2) Lion of Babylon All Through the Night Gold of Kings