Start by marking “The Damascus Way” as Want to Read:
The Damascus Way

The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith #3)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  2,039 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
A riveting drama of the early church; a young caravan guard delivers messages among the new followers as he learns what it means to be a Christian. Acts of Faith book 3.
Paperback, Large Print, 538 pages
Published January 1st 2011 by Bethany House Publishers (first published November 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Damascus Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Damascus Way

Feb 24, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Damascus Way by authors Davis Bunn & Janette Oke, is the third book in the Acts of Faith Series. It does not disappoint.

This series takes part after the resurrection of Christ, in the early days and each book has kept me entertained for hours. In this book, we are introduced to Julia, who has everything that money can buy because of her merchant father. But, she discovers a secret about her family that threatens to destroy her relationship with her father and she is devastated.

We also t
Regina
Dec 28, 2010 Regina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Acts of Faith series is a must read! Reading the book, The Damascus Way, grabbed me and drew me in from the first page. Sure it wasn't thrill seeking, but it describing how she felt, it was in a way that would draw the reader in.

I never thought I could get into a Biblical series like this series, but I did and I want to find more books like it.
Olivia
What a great end to the series! There are some series that drag toward by the last book, but although it wasn't as amazing as the first two, I still felt the characters were just as strong and the story fascinating.

Followers of the Way are leaving for Jerusalem to flee from Saul of Tarsus, the Christian persecutor. As they scatter they take salvation other villages and towns in Israel. Abigail at first is hesitant to leave Jerusalem, the place where her husband loved and served, but by the prodd
Abigail Richmond
Mar 30, 2016 Abigail Richmond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This series was awesome!!! I love reading biblical fiction. It helps me feel closer to Bible characters and understand better how everyone In the Bible was feeling, and what they were going through. For instance Saul, when he came to Christ, I never really thought much on how long it probably took for him to be accepted as a follower of Christ, by the rest of the followers. And there are a lot of other things like in this story we have a character (Jacob) who hears of Saul's perspective journey ...more
Eneida
Francie ( glitter glu )
did not like the series. i only read half of the third book because i just i am not liking these books.
Jeffrey
Jul 06, 2015 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Betcha can't read just one! This is the third volume in the Acts of Faith trilogy, co-authored by Davis Bunn and Janette Oke. Having finished the previous two, The Centurion's wife and The Hidden Flame, I could hardly wait to attack this final installment.

This volume covers the Book of Acts from the persecution and Dispersion of the followers of Jesus from Jerusalem to the conversion of Paul on the road to Damascus. Skillfully interwoven into the historic events of the early church are the paral
Elaine
Mar 24, 2012 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Title: The Damascus Way.

Author: Davis Bunn and Janette Oke.

Genre: Christian, Historical Fiction, Biblical Retelling, Romance, Sequel.

Plot: Julia, the only daughter of wealthy merchant Jamal, has everything in life that money can buy. A wonderful palace to call home, fine clothes, plenty of food, servants to wait on her - yet she and her mother Helen live a very lonely existence between her father's visits. When Julia learns the secret why they are shunned, her world is thrown into chaos and only
Gerald Curtis

I like fictionalized accounts about Bible accounts and people. I enjoy the backgrounds given into the culture and places, and thinking about what the day-to-day lives of the people involved might have been like, giving more insights to what I got from just reading the scriptures.

However, I will not be reading anymore of this author’s attempts. I have read two of his New Testament novels, and in my opinion, 80 – 90% of what he presents is pure fiction having nothing to do with the scriptural acco
Annie W
May 23, 2015 Annie W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book three was better than the first two books, but my reviews of book one and two still hold true: This was a wonderfully and masterfully written book. The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is because the accounts aren't completely factual within biblical truths. I know that, as a novel, the authors have the liberties to do with the story what ever they so choose to do. However, being a Biblical account - even in novel form - should be far mor accurate that this book was. Having said that, I en ...more
Erin
Feb 19, 2014 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the "Acts of Faith" series" takes place 5 years after the events of book 2. This time the story is to center on Abigail's younger brother, Jacob and Julia, the daughter of the leader of the caravan. While I enjoyed the previous two books in the series with a relish and a just couldn't put it down type of vigour, book #3 was in some places disappointing. I just didn't feel that the characters of Julia and Jacob were that interesting. I am guessing that the authors must have felt ...more
bookme4life
This is the third book in the Acts of Faith series, following The Centurion's Wife and The Hidden Flame (Acts of Faith Series #2). It brings together characters from the previous books and adds a new set. And as with those, events and people from the Book of Acts in the Bible are interwoven into this story. As the title hints, Saul of Tarsus also plays a role, though mostly secondary.

If you're looking for gritty realism, this isn't the book (or even series) for you. The stories are gently told a
Davina Sinclair
Oct 02, 2012 Davina Sinclair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great page turner, following the various different characters who are "followers of the way". While clearly a fiction book it includes the characters of Philip and Saul (Paul) in the Bible and give an idea of the culture and dangers of the day i.e they paint a picture of the dangers and hazards on the road to Samaria (useful to help imagine the parable of good samaritan). I like the depiction of Saul and love one of the quotes from Philip "How can I live so that when someone sees me they are poi ...more
Caroline
The Acts of Faith series helps me to realize how human and real the people of first-century Jerusalem were. Historical cultural details, mixed with the intimate struggles of fictional characters, help me appreciate the book of Acts so much more -- knowing the real Stephen and Martha and Philip were people like us, relying on the same God and learning of the same Messiah.

Reading each book, I'd remember certain events from the Bible that I knew must take place. But not knowing the details of exac
Carolyn
I've been thoroughly enjoying this series, which essentially dramatized key events from the Book of Acts. Annoyingly here, however, the key dramatic/Biblical events felt more skimmed over, while the "drama" of the historical fiction characters was amplified. That would be all well and good, except that the "drama" of the historical fiction characters wasn't particularly good, because the authors were trying so hard to make them into perfect-little-faithful-Christians. In that pursuit of faithful ...more
Edina Rutland
It was a nice book pulling us back into the time shortly after the resurrection of Christ. The story itself is fascinating. I believe most Christians have tried to imagine what it was like to live during that time but this book was not captivating enough for me. There wasn't any one of the characters who fully captivated me. The story ran on a few lines and while all characters had a different background and the author tried to make us like them all, none were really well developed. I understood ...more
Debra Abee
Jul 09, 2012 Debra Abee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an enjoyable read and thought provoking. The story line was slow at first and I had to push my way through the first couple of chapters. But, as I read along I found myself getting involved with the story. I also, found that I examined my own faith and where I stood with my Lord. I recommend this read to anyone interested in this genre of reading.

I have read all three of Bunn and Oke's Acts of Faith series book. I would like to read more "Acts of Faith" when available from Davis B
Shantelle
The Damascus Way is the last book to the Acts of Faith series, I believe. I enjoyed it, and also liked how Alban, Abigail, Jacob, and Linux, from the previous two books, were included in this story. It was nice to see how their stories went on.

I probably liked The Damascus Way best of the three books in this series, though it too, seemed to drag on a little at points. But it was interesting, having a more personal look at the days of the early church, and also, Saul of Tarsus’s conversion. So
Sandy
Nov 04, 2015 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Damascus Way

Another great novel by these two authors combining their talents. Biblical fiction is often so far off base that the Biblical part should not be included in the description. But these authors know their Bible and though we know that some literary license allows for embellishing the characters, this is only true of the fictional characters and the actual Biblical people are portrayed accurately as are their activities. This series of books has kept my interest, brought me to tears
Sherri
Alice Scott
Jul 23, 2016 Alice Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the whole series

I loved this whole series. Couldn't put the kindle down. Good story, well written. Love reading of this period of time and the early Christians.
Missy
Sep 27, 2013 Missy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened
Heather
Jul 02, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet story set in 40 A.D. Rome about a young girl born to a Greek father and Hebrew mother struggling with her heritage. I enjoyed the historical setting of the book but the ending was a bit of a let down as everything finished too perfectly for all the characters. Would have preferred something a bit grittier.
Mom
Sep 08, 2014 Mom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By the time I got to book 3 of this series, I loved them!!! The caravan drama kept me going as well as all the trials of the people of the Way. I wondered if I could endure physically their way of life. Women had lots of chores and to cover your face with a shawl or veil doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun to me. I would hate to have been caught in one of the sand storms or have to clean up following one. The book ended on a really good note. (I loved it so much I read the series twice! :)
Josiah
This is the third book in the Acts of Faith series, another romance woven around New Testament characters, and fairly historically accurate.

In this volume we follow Abigail, widow of Stephen; their daughter Dorcas; Martha, sister of Lazarus; Jamal and his families; Alban, Linux, Jacob; and Saul. The story centers around Jerusalem, Nain, and Tiberius.

Writing: C
Vocabulary: A
Level: Moderate
Rating: PG (mention of concepts of fornication, murder, banditry, racism)
Worldview: Christian
Shannon
A satisfying finale

Though it dragged at times I couldn't let go of these characters. The story was woven so beautifully that I was in tears for most of the last chapter. Some of the dialogue between the female characters felt flat and two dimensional but I really appreciated the masculine perspective in the book and how it resonated as authentic. I'd highly recommend the series to anyone interested in historical fiction whether a Christian or not.
Trish
Aug 24, 2011 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third in their Acts of Faith series. I enjoyed this one just as much as the first two, especially once I realized that the title was referring to the conversion of Saul and was looking forward to seeing how the story would lead us to that point. This is a wonderful book that ties in people that Jesus met and spoke to with fictional characters and circumstances in an exciting and encouraging way. Definitely a strong finish to the series!
Le Moore
Feb 21, 2013 Le Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in immensely interesting. As I read the book, I found myself searching the bible. This book seemed very accurate as to the events and places it mentioned. To read about people who were living in the period just after Jesus arose from the dead, was fascinating. It made me think about the persecution of the early Christians and what the people really lived through. I don't believe I've ever thought about it from this perspective.
Monica
I fell in love with this book's characters, Jacob, Julia, Abigail, Linux, and the rest. Here is a group of people who follow the Lord even through their fears and even their doubts.

Reading Bunn and Oak's series "Acts of Faith" has inspired me to pray with all my heart. So many miracles occured because of their fervent prayers.

I loved the way I could trace happenings back to the Biblical event and how these books made them real, alive to me.
Jenna
Mar 31, 2014 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this series weaving historical figures from the Bible with fictional characters that may have lived at that time. So interesting to consider how it must have felt to be one of those early Christians. I also thought the idea of Revelation being about the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70 interesting. This makes me want to read some Josephus and learn more about the history we know surrounding this time.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 21, 2014 10:13AM
  • The Matchmakers
  • Bathsheba (The Wives of King David #3)
  • Martha
  • Harvest of Rubies (Harvest of Rubies, #1)
  • Mine Is the Night (Here Burns My Candle, #2)
Davis Bunn is an internationally-acclaimed author who has sold more than seven million books in twenty languages.

Honored with four Christy Awards for excellence in historical and suspense fiction, Davis was inducted into the Christy Hall of Fame in 2014.

His bestsellers include The Great Divide, Winner Take All, The Meeting Place, The Book of Hours, and The Quilt. A sought-after lecturer in the a
More about Davis Bunn...

Acts of Faith (3 books)
  • The Centurion's Wife (Acts of Faith, #1)
  • The Hidden Flame (Acts of Faith, #2)

“Love. Forgive. As you forgive, you will be forgiven.” 1 likes
“Live a life of rightness. Seek to follow the blessed Lord, and pray for enlightenment for others.” 0 likes