Start by marking “The Softwire: Betrayal on Orbis 2” as Want to Read:
The Softwire: Betrayal on Orbis 2

The Softwire: Betrayal on Orbis 2 (The Softwire #2)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  401 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Part two of the cyber-fueled series about the first human softwire! Can JT appease the huge aquatic aliens on Orbis 2 in time to save his friends?
Published April 6th 2010 by Candlewick Press (first published March 25th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Softwire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Softwire

Jennifer Patterson
Mar 27, 2012 Jennifer Patterson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10+
Shelves: ya
I’ll admit that my speed reading days for books left me in college. Even with my fun books that I read, it can take me a several days to finish one. So when I went through the Softwire Series in roughly a week, you know it’s got to be amazing! Oddly enough, I have to thank Nathon Filion for tweeting a link for a free digital copy of the first book (Virus on Orbis 1).

The brief synopsis from P.J. Haarsma’s site really hooked me in too.

Thirteen-year-old Johnny Turnbull has always known there was so
KeepOnFlyin
I couldn't wait to get my hands on this second book of the Softwire series. I was so excited to continue reading about the adventures of JT and his friends and little sister. PJ Haarsma did not let me down!

I loved the entire book from start to end. As the children are moved to the second ring to begin working their next rotation, their lives continue to be filled with adventure and mysteries to be solved. Orbis 2 is much different than Orbis 1 and has such places as underground tunnels with trea
Denae
It was better than the first with the fact that there were some meaner characters. Yet, at the end of all the bullies or enemies, there's some sort of compassionate scene or event. For instance, JT sympathized with Weegin, Switzer, and Oglan (sp?) before their character left the book. I'm not sure if I'm impressed or annoyed. In one way, it's cool, showing that no one is bad at the core, but in another, it becomes predictable.
I did like how JT and Switzer's roles were a little reversed when JT h
Heidi
"Once again, Haarsma gives us a unique entry into the young adult field with a true science fiction story. The second in the series, this book has a tighter plot than the first and continues to be wildly imaginative, though character development hasn't really progressed. As with the first book, my major gripe is with the dialogue, which is choppy and awkward. I find it hard to like the hero of the story, especially when he does some stupid things like he does here, and I think that some of the r ...more
Sep 20, 2013 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi fans
Recommended to Michelle by: Beverly
Another fast read! A reader can really roll through these books! I liked this one as much as the first one. In this book we get a deeper look at the world JT and his friends live in. The story also starts filling in some information about who JT's father is and the mission behind their trip to Orbis. It does feel like it the book ends abruptly, there's not much of a denouement.

The nonstop action and quick moving pace of the story make it great for reluctant readers or those who need a quick rea
Jenn
I read the first one of this series a while ago. I couldn't believe my library actually had it. Of course, it didn't have any of the follow up books. I ended up finding HB copies of #s 2 and 3 for cheap on Amazon. I'm not gonna lie: I read the first one, based almost solely on the fact that Haarsma works with Nathan Fillion on Kids Need to Read. And I liked the first one well enough. I'm not sure that there was anything wrong, particularly, with the second one. I just think that maybe it's been ...more
Jim
Something about these books stirs a deep anger in me that is not enjoyable. It has to do with the way the main characters are treated with unfairness and violence. I've not read any other book that comes to mind that affected me in this way. Can't say I recommend this for young adults. I won't be reading the last two books in this series.

Also the books spend a lot of time building up to the climax, which then goes by much too quickly, glosses over plot points and are a little too convenient.

The
Shannon
Mar 05, 2008 Shannon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I really enjoyed Betrayal on Orbis 2! I thought the characters had a lot of depth to them and I really felt connected. It was nice to see that the main character was flawed and had a lot of growing and learning to do. There was such a bond between him and his friends. I also felt connected to alien characters. Even though some of them were evil, I wanted to know why they were evil, what made them that way? I think that this book has a lot of adventure, is well written, and has an emotional eleme ...more
Dayna Smith
The second book in The Softwire series. Johnny and his friends are now on Orbis 2 with a new Guarantor. They are put in charge of the Samirans, large aquatic aliens, who cool the crystals on Orbis. Johnny is the only person who can speak to these creatures and he is tasked to find out what is wrong with them as their work rule is coming to an end. What he discovers endangers all of Orbis and it's up to Johnny to save the day again. If you liked the first book you will love the second.
Terry
This is a well crafted piece of science fiction. SciFi enthusiasts and reluctant readers will be captivated by the adventures. For me, this is a 7 out of 10. Space fantasy lovers will give it a 10 for sure. The author remains focused on his goal of using science fiction to capture the reluctant and/or non-engaged reader.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub.
Deborah
After JT's employer loses everything for conspiring against the Keepers, JT and company are sent to Orbis 2 to work with Samirans, large aquatic beasts who are under contract like the human children to work a certain amount of time on Orbis. The Samirans keep the crystals on the planet cool. Once again, the Trade Council is at odds with the Keepers and it is up to JT to help this endangered alien species reach freedom.

Upper elementary/middle school.
Sheila Ruth
Feb 27, 2008 Sheila Ruth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: reluctant readers and science fiction lovers
Betrayal on Orbis 2 is the kind of outer space adventure that I loved in middle school. With non-stop excitement, rich world building, and lots of cool aliens and technology, this is a great book for science fiction fans and reluctant readers.

Read my entire review

Matthew
This one was a little more exciting than the first one. The characters started to develop some personalities and take some intiative. For the first time in the series a character dies. The themes of oppresion and equal rights are starting to be more fully fleshed out by the author. It was a good read and I'll definately read the third book in the series soon.
Austin Holzworth
So far JT,max, kathrina, and theadore chased after dolten and swizter and found out he was trainding stuff to get money and then nugget (who they found whyll chansing them) grabed on of swizers thigns and ran off with it and everyone followed and disscoverd a place were orbis kept secrit things then swizers grabed a space jumpers pelt.
Libby
2.5 - a bit too much repetitive introspection from the main protagonist but otherwise still a fun, quick adventure. I'm onto the next - The Softwire: Worm Hole Pirates on Orbis 3
Andrew Marr
On the second ring of Orbis life is more challenging, more mysterious & more troubling. The Samirans, aquatic beings who make earthly whales looks small, are great creatures to meet. Some of the characters are not so pleasant. I look forward to the last two volumes of the set.
Paula
What a fantastic Christmas present to myself in aid of charity, the follow-up to PJ's Softwire Virus on Orbis One the next installement of JT's adventures on Orbis kept me so hooked that I read it in one sitting and am desperate for the next one:)
Maggie
Jul 21, 2008 Maggie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Recommended to Maggie by: PJ Haarsma himself *sqeal*
I finished this book on a flight to Canada and I have to say this is definitely as good as the first one, if not better.
PJ Haarsma's writing is so good you won't be able to put it down, for anything. Even dinner. xD
Mackenzie
Michelle
Another fast-paced installment of the Orbis series; the universe Haarsma created is getting more complex and interesting. I can't wait to start the newly released third novel!
Alex
Johnny Turball and company have their next set of adventures on the Rings of Orbis, and as is usual, nothing is what it seems.
Michael
May 27, 2008 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who liked the first Softwire book (ages 9- whatever)
Recommended to Michael by: My teacher, Mrs Morris, and PJ Haarsma
Shelves: already-read
My God! I have waited for this moment! It's coming out on March 25! eeep! Same day as my sister's birthday!
Lioness
Not a bad sequel. Seems like it was too hastily written though - didn't flow as well as it should have.
Lonnie Smith
Much the same as the first book, entertaining and worth the read, but definitely for younger audiences.
Shawn
Great fun, reads like a thriller read. What do you mean I have to wait a year for the next one!!! Aaah!
Beth
OOOOHHHH, so good I can't wait for book 3. Hurry up PJ- we want those ARCS!
Michelle
I really enjoyed this second adventure and I am looking forward to book three!
Teri Sears
It delivers what it promises. It's a fun read, and can be enjoyed by all ages.
Heather
Very interesting series. A nice easy read and good for teens as well.
  • Monster Madness (Nightmare Academy #2)
  • The Fall of the Templar (Grey Griffins, #3)
  • The Vampire's Curse (Secrets of Dripping Fang: Book Three)
  • The Indigo King (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #3)
  • Guys Write for Guys Read
  • Snarf Attack, Underfoodle, and the Secret of Life: The Riot Brothers Tell All
  • Hero-Type
  • Say Cheese, Medusa! (Myth-O-Mania, #3)
  • Much Ado About Grubstake
  • Revenge (Dark Space, #4)
  • The Search for Truth (Erec Rex, #3)
  • Chronicles of the Lensmen, Vol. 2
  • Dear Fish
  • Punished!
  • The Dragon of Lonely Island
  • Heirs of Mars
  • Archon (Psi Chronicles, #2)
  • Noah Zarc: Mammoth Trouble (Noah Zarc #1)
A lot about The Softwire comes from my own experiences growing up. No, I never traveled on a seed-ship to Orbis but I did feel like I was a slave working in my parents ceramic factory as a teenager. In the summer I would slug 50lbs+ molds around while standing in a room with kilns firing at 1400 degrees. It wasn't fun and at the time I really resented my parents for it. I felt used and not in cont ...more
More about P.J. Haarsma...

The Softwire (4 books)
  • The Softwire: Virus on Orbis 1
  • The Softwire: Wormhole Pirates on Orbis 3
  • The Softwire: Awakening on Orbis 4
The Softwire: Virus on Orbis 1 The Softwire: Wormhole Pirates on Orbis 3 The Softwire: Awakening on Orbis 4