Start by marking “The Mountain and the Valley” as Want to Read:
The Mountain and the Valley

The Mountain and the Valley

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The Mountain and the Valley is an affectionate portrait of David Canaan, a sensitive boy who becomes increasingly aware of the difference that sets him apart from his family and his neighbours. David’s desire to write is the secret that gives this haunting story its detailed focus and its poignant theme.

Set in the years leading up to World War II and against the backdrop o...more
Published January 26th 2010 by New Canadian Library (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Mountain and the Valley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mountain and the Valley

Janice
My favorite Canadian novel of all time. Buckler is able to capture moments so beautifully. His writing is poetic and so clearly draws images that the reader wants to savor and cherish.
John the Obscure
One of my favourite Canadian Lit books. If I would have rated this after the first time I read it, I would have given it 5 stars - then, I was young and impressionable. After a second, more analytical read, I still think it is a beautiful and well-written story, but it could flow a little better.

Everything about this book is subtle, which convey's the sense of lose and loneliness all the more readily.

Spoiler: there is a death at the end of this novel that is utterly beautiful in its descriptio...more
Nancy
I was required to read this book for a Canadian Literature course in University. It became of one my favourites. I could really relate to some of the feelings that David has about life.
Merissa
This book was alright, I mean, as alright as a novel provided by a university course could be. Rarely do they choose something of interest, so I guess this is as interesting as these books are going to get. The book certainly came full-circle at the end, the mountain being a critical symbol of many things in David's life.
Ellis
One of the most hauntingly beautiful books I have ever read of how our lives are wasted in dreaming and never actualized.
Judith
Beautiful language. Well written. Conveys the simplicity of rural life without being romantic. A bit slow
Deborah
I had to read this in grade 12 advanced English. The regular class got to read Flowers for Algernon, I was jealous. This book taught me one thing, that I could read the most atrocious crap page by agonizing page and get through it. I underlined anything I thought I would need so I wouldn't have to read the crap again. It took me 3 days to erase all the pencil marks. It was boring, verbose, whiny and I would have burned the piece of crap if I wasn't forced to read it.
Janet Cameron
Intensely beautiful descriptions of rural life and the Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia. Not exactly a pulse-racing thriller - this is a quiet story that demands a slow read. David is at times a frustrating main character, but it's heartbreaking to watch him sinking into boredom and despair as the story comes to a close.
Rupa
It might be because it was my English CPT novel but I did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I guess the third person narrative helps some novels but not this novel. The prologues and epilogues were the best unnaturally.
Melanie
I read this book in a high school Can lit class, and it has stayed with me for many years. Beautiful descriptive writing, at times a bit dense, but well worth the read.
Garth Mailman
About the most quintessentially Nova Scotian Book I have ever read.
Patricia Boyle
Love Ernest Buckler stories and all stories about the west.
Rebecca
Read it in uni and loved it.
Donovan Hunt
Donovan Hunt marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Kathleen Walker
Kathleen Walker marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Hector
Hector marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Rosemary Kelly
Rosemary Kelly marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Carina
Carina marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Hayley
Hayley marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Nancy Adams
Nancy Adams marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
  • A Jest of God
  • Such Is My Beloved
  • The Polished Hoe
  • As for Me and My House
The Cruelest Month Ox Bells and Fireflies The Mountain and the Valley (New Canadian Library) Whirligig: Selected Prose and Verse Nova Scotia: Window on the Sea