The Unicorn's Tale (Nathaniel Fludd Beastologist, #4)

The Unicorn's Tale (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist #4)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Is there no rest for the travel worn and weary? Not if you’re Nathaniel Fludd, the world’s youngest beastologist-in-training! All Nate really wants is to track down his missing parents, but when a unicorn falls mysteriously ill, Nate’s Aunt Phil makes it clear where a beastologist’s duty lies: to the beasts.

And if taking care of the world’s beasts isn’t difficult enough, N...more
Published April 4th 2011 by HMH Books for Young Readers

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Loved that rhinos are unicorns and the Narnia homage. Full review to come...

There's nothing Nate wants to do more than hunt down his odious cousin Obediah. He needs to find out if this feeling he's having, this hope that his parents are still alive, is justified. Beasts don't matter when he might get his parents back. But what does Aunt Phil do? Pack them all in her little plane, grumbling Dodo included, and head to France to deal with a Guivre! A little water spitting eel like creature that has...more
April
Y’all being a beastologist is 1000x better than being a monstrumologist, or so I’ve learned from picking up The Unicorn’s Tale, the fourth book in RL LaFever’s Nathaniel Fludd: Beastologist series. I sure as hell would much rather deal with a unicorn than an anthropophagi.

Read the rest of my review here
Karissa
This is the fourth book in the Nathaniel Fludd series by R.L. LaFevers. This book was a great addition to the series and if you have enjoyed previous books you will enjoy this one.

Nathaniel and his Aunt Phil are called to deal with a problematic unicorn. When they get their they find that the unicorn may not have a problem...exactly. Nathaniel is eager to continue on the search for Obediah, in hopes that his parents might actually be alive. He is hoping that somehow the unicorn problem and Obidi...more
Emma (Miss Print)
The Unicorn's Tale by R. L. LaFevers, illustrated by Kelly Murphy (2011)

Book 4 in the Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist series

Since I have already reviewed book 1, book 2 and book 3 of the Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist series I decided that for book 4 I didn't need to go in depth with background information. SPOILER: I loved all of the books. Much as it pains me to say this, we're really at the point in the series where you have to read the previous books to keep up.

In addition to featuring one of m...more
W.
This book will be released in April 2011. I received an electronic copy from the publisher for review.

I have not read the first three books of the series so I’m coming into the story in the middle. In spite of that, I was able to make sense of most of the story. There are some blank spots, which may be covered in earlier books, but they didn’t detract from my being able to follow the story in this book.

Young Nathaniel is a beastologist in training. In fact, he is the youngest one of them all. It...more
Barbara
In the fourth title in the series, Nate Fludd and his Aunt Phil must fly to the aid of an ailing unicorn who has a secret. Despite his keen interest in learning about caring for magical beasts, Nate is preoccupied with trying to find out the fate of his missing parents. When an evil relative tracks the two of them down, he offers to trade information about the parents for a magical book or the unicorn's horn, reputed to give longevity. The creatures in this imaginative book are unique and appeal...more
Amy
The fourth installment of Nathaniel Fludd's journeys brought us to the beautiful and well loved unicorns. The Fludds have documented several different types of unicorns several of which the Fludds have recorded and never seen again. But when Nate and his aunt trek out to help a unicorn in need, will Nate find the clues he needs in order to save his parents?

This is a cute story for any child who is interested in the fantastic world. It will introduce or make them a little more familiar with all s...more
Rachel
Quinn read this one to me, and I will give it a 3.5 stars. Her books are very well written and entertaining. Great humour, fun story. Nate and Aunt Phil are great. Our beef with the book is the fact that it is book #4 in a series...his parents are presumed dead...he finds out they are likely alive in this one and they make plans to go search for them...and she hasn't written any more books. And it's been 4 years! You can't leave little kids (and their moms) hanging like that! Where are his paren...more
Daniel loved this series! He chose reading these books over all of his activities - homework, basketball, video games, sleep, etc.
Lisa
Another fun addition, and the fourth book in the Nathaniel Fludd series. Nate, filled with hope that his parents might actually be alive, can't understand why his Aunt Phil isn't rushing off to find them. Instead, she is continuing her job as a beastologist and taking care of rare creatures. However, when a unicorn gets ill, not only does he have to wait longer for his search, but their evil relative Obediah shows up to cause trouble once again.

A very fun chapter book, especially good for 2nd or...more
Miss Clark
Shelli
Finally! Book 4 had the "what" the other three books where lacking. It was frustrating that Nathaniel Fludd had gone so many books with out any answers or even clues to the whereabouts of his parents. It killed me each book that he didn't open up the suitcase he has had in his closet since book 1 from his caregiver, Miss. Lumpton, an obvious person of interest for information about his parents. Nathaniel is starting to loose his patience with the waiting and has started to demand some answers. R...more
Susan
Nate Fludd is getting closer to solving the mystery of what happened to his parents and meeting very interesting beasts on his way.

Unicorns! UNICORNS! Ethereal dreams of purity and healing. . . This is another book that I'd love to read aloud to 3rd or 4th graders. I would be jealous of having to let another teacher read one of the chapters in this book because of the gorgeous description of the unicorn.

I love these books and now I want to know when book 5 is coming out.
*Queen Diva*
Well, this is it for the books that are currently out (as of February 2012) for the Nathaniel Fludd series, and I am excited to say there is more to come.

The books increasingly get better as the series goes on. The writing, once again, was spot on in terms of my expectations for children's books (thank you Ms. LaFevers for not writing dumbed down literature!!) and the storyline took an unexpected turn. I can't wait to see what is in store for Nate and his family!
Megan
This is a series, and unfortunately book 4 is not the last one in the series. Nate still does not know what happened to his parents. How long will I have to wait to get the next book in the series? and the next? and the next? If I had known I would have this unresolved feeling, then I wouldn't have started this series, even though I enjoyed them.
Heather
I read an advance copy which still has some minor errors (occasional word missing in sentence, etc.) and a mispronunciation of the word "chimera."

All in all, a fun read, but I do hope the next book gets us closer to answering some of Nate's questions about his parents.
Danielle Bartal
Typically I don't care much for stories that contain elements of fantasy, but I found this to be a very cute and enjoyable mystery that held my interest throughout. I may even find myself reading the rest of the series just to see if Nathaniel succeeds in finding his parents.
Jeretta Hall
Another great addition to the Nathaniel Fludd series! The plot thickens with Obediah back in the mix. Gotta love Aunt Phil's fiestiness. Hopefully there will be another addition or two to the series. Great quick read!
Elevetha
Aug 21, 2012 Elevetha rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Pretty much anyone
Cute and fun to read. A short enjoyable book for young readers 8+. Nate and Aunt Phil receive more information about Nate's missing parents. The plot was predictable but again, written for 8+ so all is forgiven. Good read.
Anderson County Library
A Junior Library Guild Selection. In this adventure Aunt Phil and Nate find a Unicorn and then nurses the Unicorn. Unaware they are being followed by Obediah who is up to no good.
Alyssa
"I loved it! I think the series was good. Nate was my favorite character."

- review from Quinn, 6.75 years old
Joslins
A better entry in this series but still leaves a lot up in the air, especially about Nathaniel's parents.
Bennett
This is the best book of the series!! I lived the unicorn, Obediah, Mrs. Lumpton's betrayal...perfect!!!
Jen
Apr 27, 2011 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Kaulin
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
We finished this book tonight and just loved it. Can't wait for the next one!
Michelle
Again, we just can't wait for the next one. I am all about Greasle.
Jacqui
good read, looking forward to some resolutions, the mystery deepens!
Marge
fun series - will he ever find his parents who are on an adventure
Virginia
Cant wait for next....
Traci
The plot thickens...
  • Ottoline Goes to School
  • Under the Green Hill
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • Tomorrow's Magic
  • The Last Hunt (Unicorn Chronicles, #4)
  • The Secret Zoo: Riddles and Danger (The Secret Zoo, #3)
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • Little Nemo in Slumberland - Too Many Splendid Sundays
  • Spellbound (The Books of Elsewhere, #2)
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • Wet Magic
  • Shadow Falling (Avatars, #2)
  • Till Death Do Us Bark (43 Old Cemetery Road, #3)
  • Fear Itself
  • Lady Lollipop
  • No Such Thing as Ghosts (Dragonbreath, #5)
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)
  • Nightfall Gardens (Nightfall Gardens, #1)
R.L. LaFevers (Robin Lorraine when she’s in really big trouble) grew up surrounded by shelves of old dusty books and a passel of brothers. She has also spent a large portion of her life being told she was making up things that weren’t there, which only proves she was destined to write fiction. She is the author of over fourteen books for young readers, including THEODOSIA AND THE SERPENTS OF CHAOS...more
More about R.L. LaFevers...
Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos (Theodosia Throckmorton, #1) Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris (Theodosia Throckmorton, #2) The Flight of the Phoenix (Nathaniel Fludd Beastologist, #1) Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus (Theodosia Throckmorton, Book #3) Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)