Start by marking “The Unicorn’s Tale (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Unicorn’s Tale (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #4)

The Unicorn’s Tale (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist #4)

Nathaniel Fludd, world’s youngest beastologist-in-training wants to exchange Book of Beasts with Obediah Fludd for his parents. Aunt Phil wants to rescue dragon in well, and heal unicorn Luminesse in forest. How can he choose between love and duty?
Published April 4th 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books for Children (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Unicorn’s Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unicorn’s Tale

An Odd1
Jan 11, 2015 An Odd1 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Oct 1928 France. Nate 10ish grumbles about news of Obediah, bickers with dodo Cornelius, defended by gremlin Greasle. Meanwhile aunt Dr Phil (really!) investigates dragon in a well. Nate whines constantly, falls for lies. Obediah promises to deliver Nate's parents in exchange for priceless Book of Beasts.

"It seemed kind of rude to just go up and blow in someone's face" p 59. But that is how one greets unicorn Luminesse. I like rounded faces in illustrations, though B & W misses ginger hair
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Loved that rhinos are unicorns and the Narnia homage. Full review to come...

There's nothing Nate wants to do more than hunt down his odious cousin Obediah. He needs to find out if this feeling he's having, this hope that his parents are still alive, is justified. Beasts don't matter when he might get his parents back. But what does Aunt Phil do? Pack them all in her little plane, grumbling Dodo included, and head to France to deal with a Guivre! A little water spitting eel like creature that has
April
Y’all being a beastologist is 1000x better than being a monstrumologist, or so I’ve learned from picking up The Unicorn’s Tale, the fourth book in RL LaFever’s Nathaniel Fludd: Beastologist series. I sure as hell would much rather deal with a unicorn than an anthropophagi.

Read the rest of my review here
Karissa
Dec 29, 2010 Karissa rated it really liked it
This is the fourth book in the Nathaniel Fludd series by R.L. LaFevers. This book was a great addition to the series and if you have enjoyed previous books you will enjoy this one.

Nathaniel and his Aunt Phil are called to deal with a problematic unicorn. When they get their they find that the unicorn may not have a problem...exactly. Nathaniel is eager to continue on the search for Obediah, in hopes that his parents might actually be alive. He is hoping that somehow the unicorn problem and Obidi
Emma
Oct 07, 2014 Emma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazon-vine
The Unicorn's Tale by R. L. LaFevers, illustrated by Kelly Murphy (2011)

Book 4 in the Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist series

Since I have already reviewed book 1, book 2 and book 3 of the Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist series I decided that for book 4 I didn't need to go in depth with background information. SPOILER: I loved all of the books. Much as it pains me to say this, we're really at the point in the series where you have to read the previous books to keep up.

In addition to featuring one of m
W.
Jan 10, 2011 W. rated it liked it
This book will be released in April 2011. I received an electronic copy from the publisher for review.

I have not read the first three books of the series so I’m coming into the story in the middle. In spite of that, I was able to make sense of most of the story. There are some blank spots, which may be covered in earlier books, but they didn’t detract from my being able to follow the story in this book.

Young Nathaniel is a beastologist in training. In fact, he is the youngest one of them all. It
Barbara
Aug 06, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ncbla
In the fourth title in the series, Nate Fludd and his Aunt Phil must fly to the aid of an ailing unicorn who has a secret. Despite his keen interest in learning about caring for magical beasts, Nate is preoccupied with trying to find out the fate of his missing parents. When an evil relative tracks the two of them down, he offers to trade information about the parents for a magical book or the unicorn's horn, reputed to give longevity. The creatures in this imaginative book are unique and appeal ...more
Amy
Jan 20, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
The fourth installment of Nathaniel Fludd's journeys brought us to the beautiful and well loved unicorns. The Fludds have documented several different types of unicorns several of which the Fludds have recorded and never seen again. But when Nate and his aunt trek out to help a unicorn in need, will Nate find the clues he needs in order to save his parents?

This is a cute story for any child who is interested in the fantastic world. It will introduce or make them a little more familiar with all s
Karen Dransfield
Oct 11, 2015 Karen Dransfield rated it it was amazing
I am enjoying this series. It's a fun fantasy series with interesting takes on mythical creatures and a bit of an adventure each book. This one was so riveting while on my bus that I almost missed my stop, and forgot my suitcase... lots of drama...
Apr 05, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-boys
Daniel loved this series! He chose reading these books over all of his activities - homework, basketball, video games, sleep, etc.
Roxanne
Sep 06, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Really enjoyed this one especially. There were unicorns and also the Fludds were clever in outsmarting their adversary.
Lisa
Another fun addition, and the fourth book in the Nathaniel Fludd series. Nate, filled with hope that his parents might actually be alive, can't understand why his Aunt Phil isn't rushing off to find them. Instead, she is continuing her job as a beastologist and taking care of rare creatures. However, when a unicorn gets ill, not only does he have to wait longer for his search, but their evil relative Obediah shows up to cause trouble once again.

A very fun chapter book, especially good for 2nd or
Miss Clark
Kim Gontarz
Nate and Aunt Phil must save the unicorns from Obadiah Fludd.
Shelli
Apr 19, 2011 Shelli rated it it was amazing
Finally! Book 4 had the "what" the other three books where lacking. It was frustrating that Nathaniel Fludd had gone so many books with out any answers or even clues to the whereabouts of his parents. It killed me each book that he didn't open up the suitcase he has had in his closet since book 1 from his caregiver, Miss. Lumpton, an obvious person of interest for information about his parents. Nathaniel is starting to loose his patience with the waiting and has started to demand some answers. R ...more
Robyn
Jul 31, 2015 Elvedina k rated it liked it
so sad its over
Rachel
Jul 27, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Quinn read this one to me, and I will give it a 3.5 stars. Her books are very well written and entertaining. Great humour, fun story. Nate and Aunt Phil are great. Our beef with the book is the fact that it is book #4 in a series...his parents are presumed dead...he finds out they are likely alive in this one and they make plans to go search for them...and she hasn't written any more books. And it's been 4 years! You can't leave little kids (and their moms) hanging like that! Where are his paren ...more
Ashley
Dec 15, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it
A cute and satisfying ending to a cute series.
Susan
Jun 21, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-book
Nate Fludd is getting closer to solving the mystery of what happened to his parents and meeting very interesting beasts on his way.

Unicorns! UNICORNS! Ethereal dreams of purity and healing. . . This is another book that I'd love to read aloud to 3rd or 4th graders. I would be jealous of having to let another teacher read one of the chapters in this book because of the gorgeous description of the unicorn.

I love these books and now I want to know when book 5 is coming out.
Miss Ryoko
Feb 10, 2012 Miss Ryoko rated it really liked it
Well, this is it for the books that are currently out (as of February 2012) for the Nathaniel Fludd series, and I am excited to say there is more to come.

The books increasingly get better as the series goes on. The writing, once again, was spot on in terms of my expectations for children's books (thank you Ms. LaFevers for not writing dumbed down literature!!) and the storyline took an unexpected turn. I can't wait to see what is in store for Nate and his family!
Nancy Butts
Jun 12, 2016 Nancy Butts rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy
Book #4 in the Nathaniel Fludd Beastologist series, and poor R.L. LaFevers: for the second time in a row, it appears that her publishers have cut short a series before she was ready to finish it. [See the four-book Theodosia Throckmorton series.] This book, which was published several years ago in 2011, ends on a cliffhanger, so it’s clearly not the final installment. But it is also clearly the last book Houghton Mifflin intends to publish, which is sad.
Megan
Aug 24, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
This is a series, and unfortunately book 4 is not the last one in the series. Nate still does not know what happened to his parents. How long will I have to wait to get the next book in the series? and the next? and the next? If I had known I would have this unresolved feeling, then I wouldn't have started this series, even though I enjoyed them.
Emily
Jun 22, 2014 Emily rated it liked it
It still feels like there should be another book after this one. There were a few loose ends that I’m interested in finding out the answers to. Obediah is nasty! What a great villain. Also, this book featured unicorns. I never read many books or saw many movies about unicorns, so I found that interesting. I hope we get a fifth book!
Heather
I read an advance copy which still has some minor errors (occasional word missing in sentence, etc.) and a mispronunciation of the word "chimera."

All in all, a fun read, but I do hope the next book gets us closer to answering some of Nate's questions about his parents.
Danielle Bartal
Oct 30, 2013 Danielle Bartal rated it really liked it
Typically I don't care much for stories that contain elements of fantasy, but I found this to be a very cute and enjoyable mystery that held my interest throughout. I may even find myself reading the rest of the series just to see if Nathaniel succeeds in finding his parents.
Ara
Jul 25, 2015 Ara rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-ya
Great adventure series for children. I love all the imagination kids could develop and the courage they could get through the mail character. The next book isn't out yet but hopefully Nathaniel will find what he seeks in the next book. Hope it comes out soon!
Jeretta Hall-Robinson
Dec 21, 2013 Jeretta Hall-Robinson rated it really liked it
Another great addition to the Nathaniel Fludd series! The plot thickens with Obediah back in the mix. Gotta love Aunt Phil's fiestiness. Hopefully there will be another addition or two to the series. Great quick read!
Elevetha
Aug 21, 2012 Elevetha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pretty much anyone
Cute and fun to read. A short enjoyable book for young readers 8+. Nate and Aunt Phil receive more information about Nate's missing parents. The plot was predictable but again, written for 8+ so all is forgiven. Good read.
  • Guardian of the Green Hill
  • Winter of Magic's Return
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • Ottoline Goes to School (Ottoline, #2)
  • The Last Hunt (Unicorn Chronicles, #4)
  • We Dine With Cannibals (An Accidental Adventure, #2)
  • Little Nemo in Slumberland - So Many Splendid Sundays
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • The Tale of the Firebird
  • Riddles and Danger (The Secret Zoo #3)
  • The Random House Book of Fairy Tales
  • World's Worst Wedgie (George Brown, Class Clown, #3)
  • Another Whole Nother Story
  • The Abominables
  • The Charlatan's Boy
  • Young Fredle (Davis Farm, #2)
  • Ichiro
R.L. LaFevers (Robin Lorraine when she’s in really big trouble) grew up surrounded by shelves of old dusty books and a passel of brothers. She has also spent a large portion of her life being told she was making up things that weren’t there, which only proves she was destined to write fiction. She is the author of over fourteen books for young readers, including THEODOSIA AND THE SERPENTS OF CHAOS ...more
More about R.L. LaFevers...

Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist (4 books)
  • The Flight of the Phoenix (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #1)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • The Wyverns’ Treasure (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #3)