Start by marking “Blood Reaver” as Want to Read:
Blood Reaver

Blood Reaver (Night Lords #2)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  626 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Driven on by their hatred of the False Emperor, the Night Lords stalk the shadows of the galaxy, eternally seeking revenge for the death of their primarch. Their dark quest leads them to a fractious alliance with the Red Corsairs, united only by a common enemy. Together with this piratical band of renegades, they bring their ways of destruction to the fortress-monastery of ...more
Published April 26th 2011 by Games Workshop

To ask other readers questions about Blood Reaver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Reaver

Andrei
The second installment in the Night Lords trilogy is an improvement over the first, but it doesn't come without its flaws.

Much like the original title, this is an incomplete story, more like an episode of your favorite show that's particularly eventful than a 400p novel.
That can be fine, but I feel to draw out the "main" story for so long with only a few hints every 100 pages and every epilogue is messed up.

Now if there's one complaint I have that others will hate me for, it's that this doesn't
Matias
Both readable as individual or as the 2nd novel of the Night Lords -trilogy. Very much recommend this novel, mostly to 40K fans but also to someone new to the story.

Blood Reaver starts of somewhere near where its prequel Soul Hunter left off. The Night Lords warband lead by Talos and the Exalted, consisting mostly of Traitor Space Marines that fought in the very first heresy war, the Horus Heresy, is trying to find a location where to repair their ship.

I'm reading the trilogy in its correct orde
Andrew Ziegler
Aaron Dembski-Bowden excells at his craft in my opinion. Sure, you might say his is not real because it is licensed fiction, but to that I reply, Go F Yourself! Reading his works strips away the shackles people place on him because it is a set universe and frees you up to see he is a really good "writer". Why do I say that? Well, last evening when I was finishing this book I kept thinking this guy really knows how to write the details. It is an older style of writing I think some modern authors ...more
Alexander
I should re-read Soul Hunter and then re-read this one immediately following. The story picks up after the end of Soul Hunter with the Night Lords victorious over the Blood Angels, but limping along through the void of space. There's a lot of downtime in this book, which is slightly annoying, but also helps paint a picture of the dying Legion clinging to life.

Talos is so-so in this book. Octavia the same. Septimus has an interesting role earlier on, and then not much else. I really enjoyed read
Ken
After completing Soul Hunter, I jumped straight to Blood Reaver. On the whole I found Soul Hunter to be the better book. Too much attention was paid to the ship falling apart and not enough to the fall of Vilamus, which is an important part of the 40k lore. Despite this, the book is still an outstanding piece of work that greatly adds to the 40k universe.

As with Soul Hunter, Dembski-Bowden has once again shown us how vastly different Chaos Marines can be from each other. In contrast with the fai
Jimmy
ADB does it again.

I love the fractured hate filled world that Talos and the first claw inhabit. They are comrades for centuries but you get the feeling that it's only because the right opportunity for betrayal hasn't come up yet.

The world of First claw is built on the world of the slaves they take and the somewhat twisted loyalties that the slaves develop with their Lords.

The flashbacks to Talos's origin story and the windows into his past and the other members of first claw provide are the mos
Andy Blake
My first review. Dembski-Bowden is among the elite of the Black Library, and he proves it again here. Another dark masterpiece of artful characterisation and immersive plot. I do agree though with other reviewers that Soul Hunter is marginally the better book - perhaps because the author's lost the element of surprise. The thrill of discovery of these complex characters has passed and the author needs to find new ways to cast light on his 'heroes'.

*** Spoilers ***

As for the book itself, the plot
Tim
There's no way you can put this book aside for more than a few hours. After reading Soul Hunter and listening to Throne of Lies it was a pleasure to meet again with the "heroes" of this series.

The characters are beautifully developed, and their integration in the story just fits great.

I was a bit put off by the end part, because it suffers from the "second book in the trilogy" pains. It seems like some story threads are ignored to create a cliffhanger-feeling, while other threads came to a too a
Derek
I still can't decide if 4 or 5 stars is appropriate, but I decided to give Mr. Dembski-Bowden the benefit of the doubt. There are a couple of things in this book that I don't quite remember, so I'm going to have to go back to Soul Hunter to review them. That aside, I think it's a very strong second installment in the Night Lords trilogy. Solid plot advancement, enough action to keep people satisfied, a heaping helping of betrayal (natch), and an ending that leaves one waiting eagerly for the fin ...more
Jesse
seems rushed and unfinished. Subplots are tossed in and forgotten or rendered meaningless about every chapter. The fun Khorne Zerker splatstick is replaced by predictable torture-killing of pretty much every single minor character in the book. Not bad, but a letdown after Soul Hunter.
Joseph
This was a great second book in the Night Lords trilogy. I'm really enjoy the characterization that Bowden puts into each person. The Night Lords belong to the enemy side in the Warhammer universe but throughout the book you can see their perspective on things and understand them. Talos, the leader of the chapter, is given the most time in the story and you can see how much the current situations are affecting him. The others memebers of the legion don not see eye to eye with each other and the ...more
Jared
The continuing saga of the Night Lords. Again, and excellent book. I am utterly fascinated by the lives the Astartes of the Eighth Legion lead 10,000 years after the heresy. Each character is deep and nuanced. At times, it almost seems as if Talos truly cares for Septimus' well being and yet I have no doubt that Septimus would perish at Talos' hands if ever he crossed his master. Read Soul Hunter first and the read this book. The story of the Night Lords is one everyone should know.
MegaSolipsist
A beautifully crafted book with fully fleshed out characters, an intriguing plot and masterfully created backstory.
ADB does the impossible, creating amoral, psychopathic, treacherous super-soldiers as the good guys, and making us root for them and want them to utterly destroy the noble soldiers of the Emperor.
One of the best books I have ever read, and in the 40K universe, Blood Reaver is matched only by Soul Hunter.
ADB is one of the most talented authors out there.
Patrick
Epic sci-fi from one of the Black Library's most distinctive and consistently entertaining authors.
It's a tough gig to make seemingly undefeatable space marine bad-ass anti-heroes into compelling characters but Dembski-Bowden somehow does it.

Great action scenes and small character moments - a fast, fun read which ends in such a way as to make reading the next book in the series a foregone conclusion.
Kyle
I found Soul Hunter to be the better book. Regardless, Blood Reaver provided a new angle to the Renegades within the Malestrom. Considering how the Siege of Vilamus was to be the major conflict of the book, I found it somewhat rushed, especially in constrast to the invasion of Crythe Primus in Soul Hunter. Overall, a strong book by the Black Library, but one of Aaron's weakest so far.
James
Not quite as good as Soul Hunter in my opinion. A lot slower (this one took about 1/3 to 1/2 to really get going. Once at that point, I really liked the idea of the plot and was curious to see it play out, ending up a bit surprised (not completely) by the ending, and ultimately satisfied. Dembski-Bowden is a great author. I've yet to read one of his I didn't like.
Mary Gilson
Aaron has done a spectacular job with detailing the adventures of some of the most charismatic members of the Chaos Chapter, the Night Lords. Each character has his own insights, foibles and flaws and even principles, even coming from what Imperial loyalists would consider a heretical Astartes Chapter. I would highly recommend this book for any Warhammer 40k fan
Cliff Riseborough
I find the books following the Night Lords Chaos legion interesting, namely because they aren't much of a legion. They're a small band of survivors, scavenging for parts, recruits, and everything else they need while trying not to die. Not exactly your typical Chaos band.
Shawn
Omg. this book was exceptional. The characters were very well developed, and the story was very appealing. i myself am a HUGE Night lords fan, and to see Talos in action got the blood pumping. a MUST read for every 40k fan.
Mark Edwards
I liked it, I actually finished it a while ago. I'm not a good goodreads-updater-person.

ADB does a good job humanizing very, very bad people. Good sci-fi and by Black Library standards, a great book.
Jeremy
I have to say the Night Lords books (this and Soul Hunter) are by far my favorite Warhammer 40k novels I've read yet. I like them more than the Space Wolf series, and that's my faction.
Crispin
Loved it, ADB getting into his stride, excellent book highly recommended. Cant wait to read ht enext installment.
Selim Tlili
Solid warhammer book - makes it possible to actually empathize with the forces of chaos
Patt
Should we tell the Tyrant of Badab there is a mutant on his back?
hahahaha awesome book
Richard Knepper
As good as the first one. Can't wait to start Void Stalker.
Will Tompkins
Solid Sci-Fi writer. Good popcorn book.
  • Storm of Iron
  • Lord of the Night
  • Battle of the Fang
  • Know No Fear
  • Blood Gorgons (Warhammer 40,000) (Bastion Wars)
  • Victories of the Space Marines
  • Treacheries of the Space Marines
  • Dark Creed
  • Path of the Seer (Path of the Eldar, #2)
  • Nocturne