Start by marking “The Troubled Man (Wallander #10)” as Want to Read:
The Troubled Man (Wallander #10)

The Troubled Man (Kurt Wallander #10)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  8,935 ratings  ·  1,022 reviews
The much-anticipated return of Henning Mankell’s brilliant, brooding detective, Kurt Wallander.

On a winter day in 2008, Håkan von Enke, a retired high-ranking naval officer, vanishes during his daily walk in a forest near Stockholm. The investigation into his disappearance falls under the jurisdiction of the Stockholm police. It has nothing to do with Wallander—officially.
Published March 29th 2011 by Knopf (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Troubled Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Troubled Man

Jessica
Reading this, Henning Mankell's latest and final in the Kurt Wallander series, was like finding myself in a well-known and beloved landscape: Kurt Wallanderland. Mankell is not a great stylist but he has managed to do something remarkable in his creation of Police Detective Wallander. I love this melancholy man. Smart, humane, brooding, somehow both slow and sharp, he is an old and dear friend to me.

I think I've now read all of the Wallander novels. A few of them don't quite work (The Dogs of Ri
Harry
Book Review:

We all form connections and we break them. We build friendships. Some of us are on teams at work only to get displaced and join a different team. We travel to distant lands and leave such lands and the people in it. We have families and children, this sacred space we rarely leave until death. We marry and sometimes we divorce a beloved. We become fans of successful artists, perhaps a musician, a singer/songwriter or a Maxfield Parrish, or a Goya, only to feel our inner landscape has
Lewis Weinstein
There are already so many excellent reviews of this book, I feel I have little to add, except to agree it was a compelling read with several major surprises, and also very sad. I did find the ending unsatisfying, but I think that was the author's intent. The issues of aging and death Wallander is wrestling with cannot be neatly resolved.
Anke
Halfway through the book, I find it hard to believe how fast this reads, and how hard I find it to put it down. I have a soft spot for Mankell ever since I saw him talk live (and found that I could well listen for a few more hours) but in some of the Wallander mysteries, I got a bit tired of rants about the political climate in Sweden. This one had only a reasonable amount of that, and I'm enjoying it.

_____________

Finished the book - a bit sad that this is definitely the end of the series, but I
Carol
Great read. Kurt Wallander is a wonderful character. So real with his vulnerabilities. His illnesses and his fear of death. He sees himself on a journey he can not turn around from nor can he change the final destination. He lives alone because of his obsession in solving cases leaves no time for anyone else, yet he dreams of a relationship with Baiba a former love interest. In his world he has a daughter and grand-daughter who love him but there is no one else. There is a detective story, a mys ...more
Lee Goldberg
I won't rehash the plot, others have done a fine job of that. My problem with the book is that Henning Mankell was astonishingly lazy with his plotting. He seems to have made up the plot as he went along, with no clear idea of where he was going or what the solution would be. There's a stunningly inane, unbelievable, and contrived coincidence a third of the way through the book that ultimately ends up being totally unnecessary. I can't understand why Mankell didn't cut it, because it asks for su ...more
Friederike Knabe
Apparently, The Troubled Man, is Henning Mankell's last book in the Kurt Wallander series. Many of us will miss him as we got to like the often grumpy detective, who has had his own, very individual, ways of following suspects and investigating crime(s). This novel is not necessarily his best detective story, - but then I am not the one to judge, not being very knowledgeable in this genre - yet, in other ways, it makes for a very rewarding read. We learn more about the man, Wallander, who he was ...more
Maria João Fernandes
"E é tudo. A história de Kurt Wallander termina irrevogavelmente. Os anos de vida que ainda lhe restam, talvez dez, talvez alguns mais pertencem-lhe, a ele e a Linda, a ele e a Klara. A mais ninguém."

É com estas palavras que termina "Um Homem Inquieto", o 11 º livro que leio do autor sueco Henning Mankell. Foi com um prazer enorme, e alguma tristeza também, que li o último livro da série do incomparável policia de Ystad, Kurt Wallander.

Henning Mankell é, para mim, o melhor escritor, ponto final.
Carolyn
This is not a book with which to begin your relationship with Henning Mankell's moody detective, Kurt Wallander. This is a novel purely for those who have formed a connection with Wallander over the many preceding novels. I find Wallander one of the most richly human characters I've encountered in fiction--believably flawed and lonely and morose (perhaps because I am always flawed and sometimes lonely and morose, myself)--and I was a bit saddened, going into this book, knowing that it was to be ...more
sosser
i bid a sad farewell to kurt wallander. it's been wonderful eagerly reading thru all of his cases. more than ordinary police procedurals these novels are character driven stories, a look into the deeper issues of the changing social and political side of a modern sweden thru the eyes of a flawed and aging citizen obsessively searching for the truth.
Roderick Hart
Alyssa
Vivienne
I had put off reading the last in the Kurt Wallander series because I really did not want to say goodbye. Yet with the BBC4 transmission of the TV adaptation of the novel I figured the time and come to say goodbye. I appreciated the Cold War elements of the story.

Like many in the series, this is a very slow burning novel as Kurt investigates the disappearance of the parents of his daughter's partner. It is an unofficial case that he slots into his free time and during various holidays. Througho
Nancy Oakes
Without giving anything away, pretty much everyone knows by now that The Troubled Man is the last Wallander novel, and once again within the space of a month I'm having to say goodbye to not only a favorite series, but to a favorite character as well. I hate when this happens, but series readers know it's likely inevitable at some point.

"It began with the troubled man," who in this case is Håkan von Enke, retired naval officer, husband of Louise and father of Hans. Hans, as it turns out, is a he
Erica
I have read all the Kurt Wallander books in order, and I loved what Henning Mankell did with Kurt in this final book. Kurt has always been a melacholy character, but in this final adventure he has become more like his late father and at times is just a plain old curmudgeon. But I like that his character has developed and in the course of 10 books and 20 Wallander years, of course the character has changed. Linda drove me nuts in some parts of this book, but she is her father's daughter.
I thoroug
Dorian
A very, very sad book. But a brilliant crime novel, one of the very best I’ve read in ages.

When Mankell is at his best, as he is here, there are two things that I especially love about his work.

The first is the pace: it’s always suspenseful, but it takes its time. Things don’t happen quickly, Wallander has to mull over stuff, usually while he’s doing other things. This book is unusual in that the central crime is not one Wallander is supposed to be solving, so he’s working on a number of other
Brad Lyerla
If I could, I would give THE TROUBLED MAN 3 1/2 stars. It's very readable and any Wallander fan will enjoy it.

I do have two complaints. THE TROUBLED MAN would have been a better book with about 50 pages edited out. There is too much filler that delays the ending without contributing drama or resolution. Even worse, the mystery Wallander investigates borders on the implausible, at least in its details. Most of the interest in the book comes from Henning's final touches to Wallander's personal li
Abailart
Dreadfully miserable. Given this as a 59th birthday present I soon found that Wallander had just had his 60th, and was contemplating having well and truly passed middle age and now entering the third and final act of this tragedy we call life. Without wanting to give anything away, the book charts his various ailments, accidents, collapses before reaching a wickedly precise and brief paragraph summing up the final decade of the melancholy Swede's life. That aside, he's the Wallander we all know ...more
David Colton
Depressing and not a good read if you happen to be a newly retired 62 year old man who has been determined in his life to find a happy ending to all eventualities. Wallander is depressed and depressing and the case he is pursuing is not very interesting for his last case...I could barely finish this book as I simply lost interest in Wallander as well as his case. This was a disappointing end to a brilliant series in a genre so capably handled by the gifted Henning Mankell.
Dalia
Patrick
So this is the official end of the Kurt Wallander series. Somehow I thought it had ended a couple years ago, but I guess not.

The main plot is spy stuff — old Cold War shenanigans popping up way after the fact.

Wallander, now living in a house in the country, is enjoying his place but getting itchy: his daughter is now a mother, and he's feeling as if he's assumed the role of his late father, with whom he had a difficult relationship.

And he thinks he's losing his marbles. He's starting to forget
Bonnie

I loved this book and am so sad that it is the end of the Kurt Wallender series. Just when I find an author I truly relish, the series end. Like Stieg Larsson, Henning Mankell is an awesome storyteller. Thanks to Laurie Thompson who tranlated Henkell's books into English. I don't want to start another book because I fear it will be a letdown from this wonderful novel. But, I will persevere and read on.
Jane Brant
First book I've read by Mankell...and obviously the main detective of the novel is being put aside as he has developed Alzheimer's. While spy novels generally do not interest me, what stands out in the book are the relationships within families...and that many times we do not know our family members as well as we think we do. I will have to read another one of Mankell's books.
Shannon
Disappointing end to the series - in my opinion. I found the mystery of the disappearances and subsequent murders/deaths tedious. While fans of this series already know this is the last book in the series, I hope that I do not spoil anything for anyone but it seems to me that Mankell was just trying to wrap things up in a nice neat bow by having Wallander suffering multiple health symptoms showing he's only human and *spoiler alert* (maybe for some) - he's going to end up with Alzheimers/Dementi ...more
Νατάσσα
Σκανδιναβικό αστυνομικό, πικρό, καλογραμμένο, έξυπνα στημένο, ενδιαφέρον.
Θεωρώ τον Μανκελ πολύ καλύτερο από τους υπόλοιπους Σκανδιναβούς που "ξεφύτρωσαν" στην αστυνομική λογοτεχνία, έχουν βάθος οι ήρως του, έχει ενδιαφέρον κι από κοινωνικής πλευράς.
Emilio Pavon Camacho
Last of the Wallander series and I loved it.
First time I follow such a long series and virtually see the main character
evolve till the dawn of his life.
Im going to miss him.
Elizabeth

Difficult to see Wallender turning to his 60's and suffering from problems that are associated with getting older.

I loved the book as I do all Henning Mankell's writings.
Dorothy
It had been quite a while since I had checked in on Kurt Wallander, so the time seemed appropriate. I wondered if perhaps his creator, Henning Mankell, had allowed him to mellow out at all in the interim.

Early in the book, as the author was describing Wallander, I came across a sentence asserting that the Swedish policeman was, in fact, quite a cheerful person. I had to laugh out loud. If there is one adjective that could likely never be honestly applied to Kurt Wallander it is "cheerful."

As we
Paul Patterson
I just completed all of Henning Mankell's Wallander novel and it is by far my favorite scando-mysteries series. The last in the series The Troubled Man refers to both the subject of inquiry as well as Kurt Wallander himself. Both plots are jam packed with great character development as well as plot twists but I was most moved by the older Wallander, as he learns the lessons of aging and contemplates his diminished health.

He is humbled as he reviews his life but he displays genuine vulnerability
2015 Reading Chal...: A Troubled Man by Henning Mankell 4 12 May 06, 2015 11:35AM
Goodreads Librari...: Adding audio version, The Troubled Man 3 32 Jul 25, 2013 12:07PM
same after a while...50 shades of grey 1 28 Jun 04, 2012 07:29PM
  • Woman with Birthmark (Inspector Van Veeteren #4)
  • The Man on the Balcony (Martin Beck, #3)
  • Hypothermia (Inspector Erlendur #8)
  • The Glass Devil
  • Never End (Inspector Winter, #4)
  • The Indian Bride (Inspector Konrad Sejer, #5)
Henning Mankell is an internationally known Swedish crime writer, children's author and playwright. He is best known for his literary character Kurt Wallander.

Mankell splits his time between Sweden and Mozambique. He is married to Eva Bergman, Swedish director and daughter of Ingmar Bergman.
More about Henning Mankell...

Kurt Wallander (10 books)
  • Faceless Killers (Wallander #1)
  • The Dogs of Riga (Wallander #2)
  • The White Lioness (Wallander, #3)
  • The Man Who Smiled (Wallander #4)
  • Sidetracked (Wallander #5)
  • The Fifth Woman (Wallander, #6)
  • One Step Behind (Wallander, #7)
  • Firewall (Wallander, #8)
  • The Pyramid: And Four Other Kurt Wallander Mysteries (Wallander, #9)
Faceless Killers (Wallander #1) The Fifth Woman (Wallander, #6) Sidetracked (Wallander #5) The Dogs of Riga (Wallander #2) The Man Who Smiled (Wallander #4)

“People always leave traces. No person is without a shadow.” 19 likes
“You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget.” 16 likes