Start by marking “The Treasure Principle Bible Study: Discovering the Secret of Joyful Giving” as Want to Read:
The Treasure Principle Bible Study: Discovering the Secret of Joyful Giving

The Treasure Principle Bible Study: Discovering the Secret of Joyful Giving

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  3,472 Ratings  ·  241 Reviews
Readers of Randy Alcorn's bestseller The Treasure Principle encountered a revolution in material freedom and generosity that utterly changed their quality of life. In this companion Bible study, the principles become personally applicable and more real than ever, with a powerful combination of biblical concepts, practical quotations from the book, thought-provoking questio ...more
Published July 7th 2010 by Multnomah (first published October 9th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Treasure Principle Bible Study, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Treasure Principle Bible Study

Tracey
Nov 24, 2009 Tracey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time getting through this book because I strongly feel that the author, Alcorn, has taken Matthew 6:19 ("Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth...") out of context for his own purposes. Alcorn interprets "treasure" to solely mean "money" and the entire book is essentially devoted to why you should give money to the church. (I also can't help but feel a bit, um, wronged perhaps, by the fact that my church gave this book away in conjunction with a major giving campaign.) Wh ...more
Jo
Jan 14, 2010 Jo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I read it. It disturbs me & I'm trying to figure out how to articulate why because there are a LOT of reviews out there saying this is an absolutely fantastic book on encouraging Christian giving, and tithing (ironically, the latter bothers the glowing reviewers, but not me). His Principles are:

Principle #1- God owns everything. I am His money manager.
Principle #2- My heart always goes where I put God's money.
Principle #3- Heaven, not Earth, is my home.
Principle #4- I should live for t
Jon
Jan 05, 2011 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gift book on a call to live The Treasure Principle,which says, “You can't take it with you, but you can send it on ahead.” This book contains 93 pages of a full exposition and application of Jesus' teaching on giving from Matthew 6:20-21. “But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Alcorn takes six principles and lays them out. This book is ...more
Fei
Apr 05, 2012 Fei rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title may have changed slightly, because my 92 page softcover book is called "The Treasure Principle: Discovering the Secret of Joyful Giving". The frontcover graphic is also less intense.

As someone who is interested in general personal finance/money management issues, I enjoyed the author's Biblical perspective on giving. I agree that as Christians, we are called to give back to God and give to show Christ in the world. Overall, I appreciated his effort to motivate/persuade readers to shift
Kelly
Oct 25, 2012 Kelly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

While I believe in giving and supporting my church, I do not agree with the "principles" outlined in this book. At no point should people be pressured to give (including living by meager means), nor should people be left to feel guilty if they do not give enough. This book frustrated me more than shedding any light whatsoever on becoming a better Christian.
Bear-it
Dec 31, 2011 Bear-it rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A challenging book. Thinking about the concept of treasure and rewards in heaven isn't done too often. I appreciated the chance to dwell on the topic. If one were to take seriously the promise that we have rewards stored up for us in heaven then it challenges your nominal view of material possessions. I think this book challenges you to spend less of your energy on stuff and more on people.
Jared
Mar 31, 2009 Jared rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who purports to follow Jesus
Recommended to Jared by: Rob Robinson
This book has changed my relationship to stuff, my faith and how I live. Living in the US, I need to re-read it about every six months so that I don't forget the principles it teaches because it is so easy to lose focus on the most important things and be consumed by my desire to acquire.
Billy
Jul 04, 2012 Billy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well done. Gifts of God presented to a cheerful giver,

Want to make a difference in the church? Give!
Want to make a difference in the world? Give!
Want to make a difference in your life? Give!
Want to make a difference in eternity? Give!

And give with a joyful heart. Why? Well, because God commands it. But, more importantly, and, as this book very clearly and articulately points out, because Jesus decreed that we should give in order to recieve. It is a promise. Jesus, according to Mr. Tripp, spoke
Gene Cornett
May 30, 2014 Gene Cornett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a deceptively powerful book. It does what I hope all books will do for me. it's changing the way that I think about how the world works. Here are some of my favorite quotes and thoughts. I hope to add more.

Why did Jesus put such an emphasis on money and possessions? Because there's a fundamental connection between their spiritual blindness think about it handle money. We may try to divorce her faith and her finances, but God sees them as inseparable.

Suppose I offer you $1000 today to spe
The other John
Jan 26, 2009 The other John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
I picked this book up used from Harvest Logos bookstore and I'm afraid that I'm going to donate it right back. I was looking for a resource to help me discover what the Bible says about money. While this little book has plenty of Bible references, it's essentially a glorified sermon on generosity with various proof texts attached. Mr. Alcorn's conculsion is good, but I think he oversimplifies the topic and fails to connect it with other aspects of money and stewardship.
Shelli
Nov 14, 2011 Shelli rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
We don't give to get "treasures in heaven". We give out of a grateful heart. Too many things in this book rubbed me the wrong way.
Joel Rockey
Jun 15, 2016 Joel Rockey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This little book really made me think about how I view money in light of eternity. Randy Alcorn's testimony and principles in this book are very convicting. Highly recommended!
Danette
A book recommended by your pastor.
D.K. Brantley
How will you use God's resources? A question that is difficult, but one that must be considered.
Katie
Dec 11, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a few years since reading this for the first time. Once again, Alcorn's book challenged me to think about where my treasure is -- here on Earth or in heaven? And how am I giving -- joyfully or not? The secret alluded to in the title = You can't take [treasure] with you, but you can send it on ahead. This short, succinct book would be a great read for anybody - especially heading into the new year, perhaps resolving anew to be a better steward of what God has so generously provided.
Ben
Dec 02, 2016 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking

I was recommended this book by a good friend whom God has blessed . He told me about how he retreads this book to refocus his spiritual life. This book challenges you to come out of your comfort zone and take a step in Faith to be blessed by giving more than we thought possible. God wants us to invest our treasures in our true home not our earthly home. Keep know,
Elizabeth
Great jump-start to figuring out how to steward the resources God lends us, but a coffee table book.
Charl van Niekerk
Feb 07, 2017 Charl van Niekerk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A challenging read...in a very good way!
alex lorie
Jan 03, 2017 alex lorie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

I read this book as part of a class that I was taking. It was very informative and it will help your giving heart grow through acts of love for our Lord.
A.
The Treasure Principle was recommended to me by my pastor's wife and it changed my view of money and finances completely. Randy answered all the questions I had regarding money from a Christian perspective. Great Read!
Aaron Loy
Sep 24, 2016 Aaron Loy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Randy Alcorn has a knack for writing short books that pack a punch. I think a lot can be learned from his approach of writing a book that is only as long as it needs to be. I find that many authors will write on a single topic and belabor their point, but Alcorn is not one of them; the book is tiny and totals only 120 pages.

Alcorn does a great job of Biblically helping us understand who our money and possessions belong to: God. He ties this in with Scripture and some hard-hitting, real-life exam
Jerry
Jun 03, 2013 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stewardship
This small, persuasive and popular book (5 STAR ranking on AMAZON) is organized around the six principles.

The value and importance of each principle is magnified in each of the six chapters. On the last page, the reader is invited to sign "My Giving Covenant" to live by the six principles. The book is written to lead readers to make a decision now.

There are many memorable comments that are very quotable.

Here are a few:
· "We're most like God when we're giving." --Dixie Fraley
· "As thunder foll
Stephen
Jan 05, 2014 Stephen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The basic premise of this book is good. Giving is a reason to be joyful. And the application has some good parts, such as the challenge for groups to be more open about the finances and giving of their members.

However, it has not aged well. Some of the supporting theology draws heavily on the otherworldly "go to heaven when you die" theology that N.T. Wright so effectively criticized in his book on the Christian hope as resurrection (Surprised by Hope). That means that his application comes acr
Brian
May 29, 2014 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblical-giving
"The point is this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has made up his mind, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver". 2 Corinthians 9:6-7

A wonderful book that answers many questions I had about money and its grip on my life. I have been a cheerful and a not so cheerful giver, but also a cheerful spender and they don't mix. He discusses the blessings that come with giving a
Gini
Sep 20, 2016 Gini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much. It expanded my mind on the principles of giving.
Oct 15, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you will be humble enough to allow it to, this book will really challenge your paradigm on money and stewardship and lead you to really examine your heart.

Like with any book besides the Bible, this is not the Bible, and thus every word does not need to be taken as absolute truth and all that you read in it should be filtered through the lenses of scripture and prayer. That said, don't allow disagreeing with one or two minor points, ideas, or opinions allow you to miss the broader idea and wha
Eric Nelson
Nice discussion on joy, glorification, and a godly perspective on life, that comes from Jesus' brief parable about finding the treasure in the field. Alcorn, however, exchanges Jesus' wider paradigm of love for the paradigm given to us by bankers and capitalists. Although there are many things I will revisit as I discuss stewardship in the future (e.g., section on Tyranny of Things and principle #5: Giving is the antidote to materialism), Acorn's starting point sets the whole tone of the book, a ...more
Joshua D.
Dec 03, 2010 Joshua D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I've read this book two or three times before. And I find Alcorn's treatment of biblical stewardship in The Treasure Principle to be helpful and motivating, and thus it's a book worth re-visiting on a regular basis. Alcorn begins the book, "All your life, you've been on a treasure hunt. You've been searching for a perfect person and a perfect place. Jesus is that person; heaven is that place." Alcorn then goes on to explain how stewardship in your life now can affect eternity.

"Some book
Phil Whittall
May 18, 2016 Phil Whittall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Treasure Principle by Randy Alcorn was the 50th book and it turns out to be a favourite.

I'm always slightly worried before reading books on giving by American pastors. I have a fear that by the end I'll be reading some prosperity nonsense, fortunately in this case the fear is completely unfounded. Randy Alcorn understands giving, he loves giving, he wants more people to give much, much more. The guy seriously gets generosity.

This is only a small book, pocket sized and 120 pages, it won't tak
Josh
Jan 20, 2012 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Good principles here. This is a message I think all Christians (especially in the US) need to hear. I am saddened by how few Christians give, and how little they give, in this country. I have seen far more dedication from Christians in third-world countries and places where they are the strict minority. The principle is simple: don't hoard and store up treasures for yourself here, but store them up in heaven. Give them away to reach the lost and help the poor and needy.

This is a hard concept fo
  • What Is a Healthy Church?
  • What Jesus Demands from the World
  • Stop Dating the Church!: Fall in Love with the Family of God (Lifechange Books)
  • Business for the Glory of God: The Bible's Teaching on the Moral Goodness of Business
  • Disciplines of a Godly Man
  • The Master Plan of Evangelism
  • Love That Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace
  • Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World
  • War of Words: Getting to the Heart of Your Communication Struggles
  • A Gospel Primer for Christians: Learning to See the Glories of God's Love
  • Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate
  • Fields Of Gold
  • Church Membership: How the World Knows Who Represents Jesus (9marks: Building Healthy Churches)
  • Am I Really a Christian?
  • When People Are Big and God is Small: Overcoming Peer Pressure, Codependency, and the Fear of Man
  • Point Man: How a Man Can Lead His Family
  • Thoughts for Young Men
  • The Enemy Within: Straight Talk about the Power and Defeat of Sin
Randy Alcorn is the founder of Eternal Perspective Ministries (EPM), a nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching biblical truth and drawing attention to the needy and how to help them. EPM exists to meet the needs of the unreached, unfed, unborn, uneducated, unreconciled and unsupported people around the world.

"My ministry focus is communicating the strategic importance of using our earthly tim
More about Randy Alcorn...

“God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7). This doesn’t mean we should give only when we’re feeling cheerful. The cheerfulness often comes during and after the act of obedience, not before it. So don’t wait until you feel like giving—it could be a long wait! Just give and watch the joy follow.” 1 likes
“Andrew Carnegie said, “The almighty dollar bequeathed to a child is an almighty curse. No man has the right to handicap his son with such a burden as great wealth.” 0 likes