Start by marking “Confessions of an Organized Homemaker: The Secrets of Uncluttering Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life” as Want to Read:

This newly expanded and updated edition offers homemakers hundreds of ideas and techniques on how to unclutter their homes and take control of their lives.
Published December 3rd 2005 by Betterway Books (first published February 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of an Organized Homemaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of an Organized Homemaker

Mystie Winckler
Jun 01, 2010 Mystie Winckler rated it it was ok
Own.

My mom's copy of this book, published around the time I was born, was Confessions of an Organized Housewife. This revised edition was published in 1994, and homemaker is a better title for it than housewife. I wonder if her tone and approach was more "housewifey" in the 80's than in the 90's. For some reason the whole feel of the book struck me as definitely "early 90's" working- soccer- super-mom, after, of course her sob story in the beginning of living so long in chaos. Every organization
Oct 16, 2007 Jennifer rated it liked it
Thought this was a decent book—I’m always looking for a few good tips. Some ideas just seemed… dumb, though. Like her idea for board game storage (seemed like it would be a lot more trouble than it was worth). And then there was a chapter that outlined a weekly cleaning schedule, and I literally laughed out loud. As per the suggestions, you would spend 2 hours cleaning on Monday and Wednesday, a minimal amount of time cleaning on Tuesday, Thursday, and weekends, and 3 hours cleaning on Friday. O ...more
Jessica
Jun 16, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it
If I was to just simply be rating all home organization or otherwise home improvement books I would be giving this a five, whole-heartedly, but I don't like to give my five's out lightly and it just seems wrong to put this on the same level as "To Kill a Mockingbird" or "These is my words".

That being said it really should get a five, because this book has really improved my life. I have spent the last three weeks organizing my home. The biggest improvement was re-organizing my kitchen.

My two fav
Lesley
Oct 31, 2015 Lesley rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, home
Very enjoyable book, even if you're a seasoned organiser. It isn't too full of "how to's" that might make it a slower read, especially if they seem more relevant to the author only; but instead supplies basic rules to apply across all areas involved in maintaining an organized, clean home. I loved the story of the ham and the reasons given for why each generation cut the end off the joint first! As well as "I'll make up a list of chores that need to be done, and I'll take the list around to anyo ...more
Lori
Jul 08, 2016 Lori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
I discovered this book at my library and read it cover to cover. It's a bit dated in a few sections, but still filled to the brim with helpful hints for organizing your home and home life. If there was a more updated version, I would probably buy a copy for every couple I know that gets married and sets up a new home together.
Mary Anne
Jun 24, 2011 Mary Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book several years ago now. It had a lot of information that was similar to another organization book I'd read, but this one views Homemaking as something of value all by itself and the other view it as a necessary evil. It's been a few years and I think it's time I pulled this book back off my shelf and reread it, since when I read it the first time I had no kids in school yet and only had two kids. Things have changed and to be quite honest I could use a little help figuring out a ...more
Betsy
Jan 01, 2016 Betsy rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This was a fun read. I would love to see the author's house because she sounds, well, ORGANIZED. I kind of cracked up in parts.

Some random thoughts:
1. We don't own enough stuff to organize in some of the fashions she describes. Other ideas are genius (inspired me to put my few sewing patterns into manila envelopes and glue the pattern package to the outside--excellent!)

2. This book was written before the age of apps, mobile devices, etc. I found her recipe organization suggestions intriguing, bu
Shawn Williams
Apr 03, 2010 Shawn Williams rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life! I was finally able to stay on top of things. She has excellent ideas and useful suggestions that can be translated to the real world. Loved this book!
StarMan
I prefer a certain book by Marie Kondo out of the eight or so organizing books I've read so far, but this Schofield book is also a worthy tool in your organizing arsenal.

Though an older book on the subject of home organization, I did find a few useful tips here. The author uses an encouraging, cheerful voice, and delves into details. There's a bit of basic psychology mentioned, and also a few lists of questions, etc... but it's not overdone as it is in many books in the genre.

There are a few han
Gaijinmama
Feb 05, 2011 Gaijinmama rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A good resource for those of us who need help decluttering, managing our time, and getting organized. The author offers practical suggestions for each section of the home and for basic home management activities such as meal planning. She has a sense of humor, too; for example, those of us who are into crafts but rarely finish what we start and tend to leave our works-in-progress lying around all over the place are "Living in the projects!"
That said, I like Marla Cilley's Sink Reflections and Sa
Brenda
Feb 14, 2015 Brenda added it
I read this a long time ago when I was a young, newly married wife. It was very helpful for setting up routines and had many good ideas. I wish I still had my copy, but I think I gave it away in one of my de-cluttering moods!
Christina
Sep 13, 2008 Christina rated it liked it
This is an OLD book -- she talks about cassette players and how you "might" want a computer in your office, for example -- but it's also full of lots of good ideas. One idea she had was to buy a dishpan (she uses these for EVERYTHING) and use it to bring dishes to and from the table, just like a busboy at a restuarant. Saves you trips and pain. I just might try it. Many of the other things I'm already doing but the book reminded me I need to get organized. I also like her idea of storing childre ...more
Jennifer Heise
Jun 02, 2014 Jennifer Heise rated it liked it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This book is full of lots of little tips for running your house more easily, though some of them seem a bit dated... I enjoy dipping into it. What it isn't is a great guide to uncluttering (in the modern sense), that is, a major discard-and-purge process. For those who need to do cluttering a little bit at a time, this could be an excellent source, and it's a fun book for those who like household hints and organizing suggestions of the less-crafty type (none of the elaborate giftwrapping station ...more
Magda
Feb 17, 2010 Magda rated it liked it
Recommended to Magda by: Leila @ http://ourmothersdaughters.blogspot.c...
The copyright date is 1994, so an entire chapter made me laugh with its complicated ways for keeping track of things ... I just use google calendar and goodreads and don't have to worry about that part of things.

There were several parts of this book which would never apply to me, but I may take the time to re-read it, as there are thought-provoking ways of looking at, not just how to get housework done, but how to organize the home and the schedule to minimize the time spent doing unliked chores
Daniella
Jan 18, 2015 Daniella rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-reads
some decent tips, but most of it feels dated (this is pre-internet mind you) and most of her ideas I've already read about on my rounds of Pinterest. Many tips just fall on the "well, duh" category also. If you have the time and need a good crash course, then it may be worth a read, but I wish I wouldn't have wasted my time.
Jessica
Mar 24, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Got so many great tips from this book!!! Use a highlighter!
Martha
Jan 31, 2010 Martha rated it it was ok
Written in a very dated-sounding-style and directed to a much more ambitious housewife than I would ever be (like making a schedule of housework and determining how many hours a week you plan on cleaning). Also, it's a bit out of date with computer/technology references that are more annoying than quaint. But, there are a few good ideas in there, a few gems of tips that are really useful...you just have to read or skim a lot of other stuff to find them. The zones of activities and one-touch-two- ...more
Lisa Topp
Apr 14, 2008 Lisa Topp rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all moms
Shelves: non-fiction
With chapters like basic organizing, schedules made for you, curing mealtime madness and turning toyland into joyland, this book offers opportunity to bring control to all areas of your life. Don't attempt to do it all at once, because it will be overwhelming and won't stick! It's a great resource for trouble spots, and I've looked back at it over the years as our clutter zones have changed and grown with along with the number and ages of children. It contains a lot of common sense stuff, but so ...more
Martha
Jul 15, 2015 Martha rated it really liked it
how to clear and declutter life and home ....good ideas
Libby
Jul 15, 2009 Libby rated it really liked it
Shelves: hobbies
I thought she had a lot of really great practical advice. I find it really amusing how much she loves using ice-trays (i'm not even sure I know what those are), kitty litter boxes, and card board boxes. I'm just DYING to see where this lady lives... Some of the things are a bit extreme- I mean, do you really expect me to write little color-coded numbers on the back of all my puzzles? But I definitely feel inspired to move a few things around and try to think about making my home more efficient.
Tcr
Jul 10, 2014 Tcr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Interesting book on organization.
Becky
Sep 01, 2009 Becky rated it really liked it
So far, I'm really enjoying this book. I paused with reading further because I want to implement some ideas! I'm afraid if I keep reading (though I *really* want to!), that I'll forget some of the things that I want to implement.
********************************
Finished the book. I do have to say that the first half is better than the second half. There were some good ideas in here, and I definitely made some adjustments in my home because of this book!
Andrea
Aug 04, 2014 Andrea rated it it was ok
Had some good ideas but a bit outdated (the book was printed 20 years ago) and a lot of the ideas don't apply to my lifestyle living overseas. But a few good ideas that I'm working on implementing.
Elissa
Mar 16, 2008 Elissa rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
The beginning of this book was good and highly motivating. But I found the actual, specific organizing tips to be almost completely unhelpful. To me it was a like a neat freak trying to give advice to someone without a chaotic mess of a house- no good. But I give it three stars for the things I did learn from this book, like taking one goal at a time to work on for 6 weeks, writing things down, etc.
Carrie Wynn
Jul 28, 2013 Carrie Wynn rated it really liked it
Not updated with electronic organizing ideas, but still has excellent concepts as well as concrete instructions on how to get & stay organized. Also appreciated the incorporation of "life-coach" & well-being principles in addition to the methods she outlined. Many of the things I'm already doing, & some of them I wouldn't choose to do, but I still found this a useful & encouraging read.
Jul 15, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Flylady might provide the motivation, but this book provides the methodology. It agrees that decluttering is first, but goes the extra mile in explaining how to put away and store the "good stuff." I never knew how to do that which is why my good stuff seems like clutter and the house is a wreck. I will be hanging on to this one until the library pries it out of my hands.
Alissa
May 24, 2012 Alissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: home
I've been reading a bunch of these homemaking books lately and this is by far the best. She gives so much practical advice on sorting, storing, etc. There are definitely things that I didn't implement from her book, but I found it very practical. It is the first book that has actually motivated me to get rid of that stuff I've been holding on to since Jr. High!
Marcie
Aug 02, 2008 Marcie rated it liked it
I'm really surprised that I enjoyed this book as much as I did. Some of the book was really basic and I was able to skim through it, but there were other parts that have already powerfully impacted my homemaking and organizing skills. I recommend at least glancing through it to see if her techniques can benefit you.
Wendi
Jun 23, 2008 Wendi rated it liked it
I think that I am a very organized person already, but I was looking for some good tips. So it seemed like the first half of the book I already did, but I did get some tips when she went into specific areas of the home. I don't think I have very many cake pans, and I would never use them just to organize something.
Kelly
Mar 13, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-bios
Since getting married, I've been interested in running
our home more efficiently. This book has a lot of great ideas,
many that I was already using, that help to streamline the
dreaded but necessary processes of housework, cooking, and home
management. Oh, yeah, and I looove books about organizing.
  • One Thing At a Time: 100 Simple Ways to Live Clutter-Free Every Day
  • The One-Minute Organizer Plain & Simple: 500 Tips for Getting Your Life in Order
  • Sidetracked Home Executives(TM): From Pigpen to Paradise
  • Clutter's Last Stand: It's Time to de-Junk Your Life!
  • The Messies Manual: The Procrastinator's Guide to Good Housekeeping
  • Speed Cleaning
  • Organize Now!: A Week-By-Week Guide to Simplify Your Space and Your Life!
  • Organizing for Your Brain Type: Finding Your Own Solution to Managing Time, Paper, and Stuff
  • Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House
  • Houseworks: Cut the Clutter, Speed Your Cleaning, and Calm the Chaos
  • When Organizing Isn't Enough: Shed Your Stuff, Change Your Life
  • The House that Cleans Itself: Creative Solutions for a Clean and Orderly House in Less Time Than You Can Imagine
  • How to Save Money at Home: A Room-by-Room Guide to Cut Spending
  • Getting Organized
  • Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
  • The Hidden Art of Homemaking