Guruji: A Portrait of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois Through the Eyes of His Students

Guruji: A Portrait of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois Through the Eyes of His Students

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  17 reviews

AN UNPRECEDENTED PORTRAIT OF A GREAT YOGA TEACHER AND THE WAYS IN WHICH TEACHINGS AND TRADITIONS ARE PASSED ON

It is a rare and remarkable soul who becomes legendary during the course of his life by virtue of great service to others. Sri K. Pattabhi Jois was such a soul, and through his teaching of yoga, he transformed the lives of countless people. The school in Mysore tha...more
Published July 20th 2010 by North Point Press (first published 2010)

Laura Zurowski
As someone who didn't develop a love of Ashtanga until my early 40s, my first response to the stories in Guruji was that I had missed so such. "If only I had discovered this is college! I could have been one of those pioneering adventurers discovering and learning the practice while my body was still young with fewer aches and pains." However, regret for a past that didn't exist for me quickly gave way to a deep feeling of happiness and appreciation that such a record of the life and work of Sri...more
Jayme
I took my time with this book and savoured every chapter. Because I'm a practitioner of Astanga Vinyasa Yoga, the method which Pattabhi Jois brought to the west, this book touched me deeply. It included stories from several senior teachers I've studied with. I never had the honour of learning of Guruji, but these stories gave me a glimpse of the man and made me feel closer to the lineage.
Molly Blair

"Do your practice and all is coming." <3
Laura Tulloch
I loved this book as it gave me a much deeper insight into what yoga is really all about, ie: it's something you try to fit in every day around work and life, with an approach which is open, humble and kind to yourself and everyone around you. It doesn't have to be going away on a 10-day retreat into a rain forest to get away from everyone and having an aloof and/or holier-than-thou attitude, which is the approach that some people seem adopt!
Chuck
Aug 08, 2012 Chuck rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: yoga
I love this book. It's almost over and I'm sad. I guess that reveals how attached I am. I'm reading the last pages very slowly. I'm an ashtangi and just as you practice the same poses each day, each interviewee is asked some of the same questions about their experiences with Guruji -- such as why he emphasized the asana piece of the 8 limbs so much, the role that his wife played, etc. -- the answers are fascinating and cause you to think much about the ashtanga path and what sort of change a per...more
Florence
This is an account of the life of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois. It is inspiring to read about someone who inspired so many others. If you want to read about yoga, family, life, and inspiration, this book is an excellent read. It is also fascinating to learn about someone who lived for a very long time and never really looked older. It is apparent that Sri K. Pattabhi Jois possessed much wisdom. This book is well-written and highly recommended.
Amber
I received this book for free as First Read on Goodreads.

I signed up to win this book for my husband who does yoga and likes reading about it. He tried to read the book and couldn't get into it. It wasn't something that he enjoyed. I then tried reading it but couldn't get into it either. I was hoping for more of a story and I think that my husband was hoping for more techniques. It wasn't the book for us.
LaTisha
What a wonderful book!! I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to have an understanding of Guruji, ashtanga and yoga. I wasn't able to practice with Guruji, but this book made me feel closer to this wonderful lineage of yoga that he has passed down. My view on the practice and the world has changed because of this book. Namaste.
Helena
I received this book through a First Reads giveaway.

I'm not sure what I expected when I entered this giveaway, but it was not what I received. I was not able to complete this book, so I am refraining on selecting a rating. I apologize to the author, this was just not the book for me.
Sharon
Very inspiring and well put together. Some redundancy with the questions, but the answers most often yielded some wisdom. Just what I needed to read now.

Thanks Tannis!
Jessie
This book was really interesting, but the interviews got repetitive by the end. I am a dedicated Ashtangi, so for me to get bored with it says something.
Rebekah
Totally inspirational; a divine aid in fostering an effortlessly devotional Ashtanga practice.
Sno
私にとってとても大切な本です。対話なので判り易く、なんせ本当のことを交換し合っているから。練習しなければ上達しない。上達するための練習ではない。
座右の著です。
inspiring
"Practice and All will come."
Mike
Sep 11, 2012 Mike marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, books
I received from Goodreads First Reads:
Carrie
This book changed my life.
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Dawn
Dawn is currently reading it
Jun 04, 2014
Natalie Lovejoy
Natalie Lovejoy is currently reading it
May 19, 2014