Start by marking “Guruji: A Portrait of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois Through the Eyes of His Students” as Want to Read:
Guruji: A Portrait of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois Through the Eyes of His Students

Guruji: A Portrait of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois Through the Eyes of His Students

AN UNPRECEDENTED PORTRAIT OF A GREAT YOGA TEACHER AND THE WAYS IN WHICH TEACHINGS AND TRADITIONS ARE PASSED ON

It is a rare and remarkable soul who becomes legendary during the course of his life by virtue of great service to others. Sri K. Pattabhi Jois was such a soul, and through his teaching of yoga, he transformed the lives of countless people. The school in Mysore tha
Published July 20th 2010 by North Point Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Guruji, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guruji

Laura Zurowski
Aug 11, 2013 Laura Zurowski rated it it was amazing
As someone who didn't develop a love of Ashtanga until my early 40s, my first response to the stories in Guruji was that I had missed so such. "If only I had discovered this is college! I could have been one of those pioneering adventurers discovering and learning the practice while my body was still young with fewer aches and pains." However, regret for a past that didn't exist for me quickly gave way to a deep feeling of happiness and appreciation that such a record of the life and work of Sri ...more
Angela
Jul 19, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
Just re-read this book in preparation for a book group gathering with about 20 others at Ashtanga Yoga: Ann Arbor this Sunday.

Because information like this wasn't available when I started practicing, I did my best to pick it up by hearsay and from the EZBoard. To me, this book is a profound treasure-trove and I read sections of it over nd over again to absorb its inspiration.

This time around, I am struck by:

-the varying degrees of professed certainty about the tradition, throughout the text

-the
Jayme
Sep 11, 2010 Jayme rated it it was amazing
I took my time with this book and savoured every chapter. Because I'm a practitioner of Astanga Vinyasa Yoga, the method which Pattabhi Jois brought to the west, this book touched me deeply. It included stories from several senior teachers I've studied with. I never had the honour of learning of Guruji, but these stories gave me a glimpse of the man and made me feel closer to the lineage.
Rose
Sep 16, 2014 Rose rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
It's been a couple years since I read this, but I loved the texture of all the interviews -- and I think especially those with less well-known ashtangis. A tremendous addition to the 1 percent theory that we as ashtangis are encouraged to pursue alongside that 99 percent practice. Love that we're reading this for the Ashtanga Yoga: Ann Arbor book club with Dominic! What a treat.
Molly Blair
Nov 22, 2012 Molly Blair rated it really liked it

"Do your practice and all is coming." <3
Corey
Aug 02, 2014 Corey rated it really liked it
"That it is ultimately about being a kinder, nicer, loving person, and that should be the focus in this practice. It's not about being better than anybody else. And if you've forgotten that, please remind yourself of it. Without that, this practice has no heart, so it needs to be performed with great gratitude, great devotion, and great love and respect for the people around you, the best that you can. We are all frail, we are all human, we are all limited, and we make mistakes. But every time y ...more
Chuck
Aug 08, 2012 Chuck rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
I love this book. It's almost over and I'm sad. I guess that reveals how attached I am. I'm reading the last pages very slowly. I'm an ashtangi and just as you practice the same poses each day, each interviewee is asked some of the same questions about their experiences with Guruji -- such as why he emphasized the asana piece of the 8 limbs so much, the role that his wife played, etc. -- the answers are fascinating and cause you to think much about the ashtanga path and what sort of change a per ...more
Laura Tulloch
Jan 24, 2014 Laura Tulloch rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as it gave me a much deeper insight into what yoga is really all about, ie: it's something you try to fit in every day around work and life, with an approach which is open, humble and kind to yourself and everyone around you. It doesn't have to be going away on a 10-day retreat into a rain forest to get away from everyone and having an aloof and/or holier-than-thou attitude, which is the approach that some people seem adopt!
Amber
Sep 10, 2012 Amber rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free as First Read on Goodreads.

I signed up to win this book for my husband who does yoga and likes reading about it. He tried to read the book and couldn't get into it. It wasn't something that he enjoyed. I then tried reading it but couldn't get into it either. I was hoping for more of a story and I think that my husband was hoping for more techniques. It wasn't the book for us.
Florence
Oct 01, 2012 Florence rated it it was amazing
This is an account of the life of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois. It is inspiring to read about someone who inspired so many others. If you want to read about yoga, family, life, and inspiration, this book is an excellent read. It is also fascinating to learn about someone who lived for a very long time and never really looked older. It is apparent that Sri K. Pattabhi Jois possessed much wisdom. This book is well-written and highly recommended.
Mander Pander
Bittersweet. This won't provide you asana technique, so if you want help with specific postures, look to Kino MacGregor's or David Swenson's books on the primary and intermediate series.
For practitioners of Ashtanga who want more info on the lineage and the guru, this is a good resource...but like every other time when the velvet curtains part and you can poke your head behind them, there's a "for better or worse" aspect, so keep that in mind.
LaTisha
Feb 11, 2012 LaTisha rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book!! I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to have an understanding of Guruji, ashtanga and yoga. I wasn't able to practice with Guruji, but this book made me feel closer to this wonderful lineage of yoga that he has passed down. My view on the practice and the world has changed because of this book. Namaste.
Helena
Nov 15, 2012 Helena added it
Shelves: non-fiction
I received this book through a First Reads giveaway.

I'm not sure what I expected when I entered this giveaway, but it was not what I received. I was not able to complete this book, so I am refraining on selecting a rating. I apologize to the author, this was just not the book for me.
Carrie
Dec 07, 2010 Carrie rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life.
Jessie
Aug 02, 2013 Jessie rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga
This book was really interesting, but the interviews got repetitive by the end. I am a dedicated Ashtangi, so for me to get bored with it says something.
Feb 23, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
inspiring
"Practice and All will come."
Mike
私にとってとても大切な本です。対話なので判り易く、なんせ本当のことを交換し合っているから。練習しなければ上達しない。上達するための練習ではない。
座右の著です。
Sharon
Jun 13, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it
Very inspiring and well put together. Some redundancy with the questions, but the answers most often yielded some wisdom. Just what I needed to read now.

Thanks Tannis!
mike-z
mike-z rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2015
Amanda Kay Creighton
Amanda Kay Creighton rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2015
Katarzyna
Katarzyna rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2014
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2013
David Pantano
David Pantano rated it it was ok
Sep 28, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2014
Trip Aum
Trip Aum rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2017
अइदा
अइदा rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2013
Joyce Liu
Joyce Liu rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • Ashtanga Yoga: Practice and Philosophy
  • The Power of Ashtanga Yoga: Developing a Practice That Will Bring You Strength, Flexibility, and Inner Peace--Includes the complete Primary Series
  • The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mind
  • Moola Bandha: The Master Key
  • Yoga for Emotional Balance: Simple Practices to Help Relieve Anxiety and Depression
  • Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual
  • American Veda: From Emerson and the Beatles to Yoga and Meditation How Indian Spirituality Changed the West
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • The Inner Tradition of Yoga: A Guide to Yoga Philosophy for the Contemporary Practitioner
  • Did I Expect Angels?
  • Healing Depression the Mind-Body Way: Creating Happiness with Meditation, Yoga, and Ayurveda
  • Health, Healing, and Beyond: Yoga and the Living Tradition of Krishnamacharya