Start by marking “Mindfulness Yoga: The Awakened Union of Breath, Body, and Mind” as Want to Read:
Mindfulness Yoga: The Awakened Union of Breath, Body, and Mind

Mindfulness Yoga: The Awakened Union of Breath, Body, and Mind

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This groundbreaking book introduces an entirely new form of yoga, Mindfulness Yoga, which seamlessly integrates the Buddha's teachings on the Four Foundations of Mindfulness with traditional asana yoga practice. Mindfulness Yoga emphasizes the spiritual side of yoga practice, an aspect often overlooked in a culture that tends to fixate solely on the physical benefits of yo...more
Published June 10th 2005 by Wisdom Publications (first published January 9th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Mindfulness Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mindfulness Yoga

Dawn
Recently, Frank answered a question for me (not so much with an "answer" but, rather, a validation marked by insight...hmmm) and it sent me off in another direction regarding something that had been gnawing at me for the past few years. It opened me up to a whole other experience. I say this as a way of saying how this book did much the same for me. It is my right hand, so to speak, as both a practitioner and a teacher of yoga. This book is an embrace from a beloved friend - open your arms!!! Re...more
Sanga
Feb 01, 2008 Sanga rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Buddhist practitioners and yogis looking for a deeper, more spiritual approach to their practice.
A complete, clear overview of Buddhadharma and how the mindfulness teachings of the Buddha can guide a practice of asana (no matter what style) and make it a deeper, more meditative practice. It helps to create greater self-understanding so we can free ourselves from our conditioned habits in a gentle, compassionate way. I've learned how to be much less reactive, and yet more affirmative in my daily life.
Phillip Moffitt
This book is the first to integrate the asana practice of Hatha Yoga with the mindfulness practice of Theravada Buddhism. It begins with an introduction to mindfulness and the Four Noble Truths and then evolves into working with the Four Foundations of Mindfulness in asana. If you’re approaching Buddhism from a yoga background, this is an excellent way to get started.
Kristen
I had this book for weeks before finally picking it up and ended up having to bring it back to the library before actually finishing it. My yoga teachers have always integrated meditation with asana so, I didn't realize this wasn't common. This book has nice info about yoga history and different practices that I found interesting.
Shannon Allstott
Interesting - integrates yoga and meditation. Sorta the way I already practice, and I read this to figure out how to teach it in a way that draws students in. I liked the philosophy presented in the book, but I didn't care for the yoga sequences.
Lauren
A great book - I borrowed this one and want to get my own copy so I can delve in deeper and do some of the sequences. I really liked the detailed descriptions in the beginning, and the way the book was structured.
An
een heel verhelderend boek over mediteren, niet alleen wanneer je "zit"maar ook yoga oefeningen doet. Een oefening om mee te nemen in je dagelijks leven.
Wendy
The thing I like most about this book are the sequenses it gives you to practice at home. For me it's definately a keeper!
Satia
If it came with a cd or dvd for the various practices, it'd be perfect. For more:
Keishua
Good. Very helpful for building a practice.
Jonathan Flack
Excellent book. Highly recommend!
Olivia Silver
Jul 18, 2007 Olivia Silver rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yogis
Shelves: justread
Review soon....
Lizita
Lizita marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Alicea
Alicea marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Ryan Gardner
Ryan Gardner marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Felipe Costa
Felipe Costa marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Dara
Dara marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
SM
SM added it
Jun 26, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
21st Century Yoga: Culture, Politics, and Practice Sit With Less Pain: Gentle Yoga for Meditators and Everyone Else