Start by marking “Infinite Life: Seven Virtues For Living Well” as Want to Read:
Infinite Life: Seven Virtues For Living Well

Infinite Life: Seven Virtues For Living Well

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Following the teachings of Buddha, this book introduces seven Buddhist virtues for cultivating the positive in our lives. Thurman teaches the reader to let go of a rigid sense of 'self' and to fully experience full satisfaction with ourselves, the people who surround us and contribute meaningfully to the world.
Unknown Binding
Published by Not Avail (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Infinite Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infinite Life

Marina Quattrocchi
I saw Robert Thurman for the first time when he spoke at the University of Toronto, winter 2014. I was intrigued learning of the lifetime relationship he had with the Dalai Lama, so decided to go to his talk. It was a brutally cold winter evening, I went by myself and the building was hard to find, but afterwards I was so glad I went. He had everyone completely captivated for over 2 hours, and the time seemed much shorter because his talk was so humorous and engaging. We laughed the entire time, ...more
Craig Williams
I had first heard of Robert Thurman after watching a documentary called "One", in which the filmmakers tried to answer the timeless question: "What's the meaning of life?" They interview several notable spiritual gurus, Thurman included. What perked my interest was not only his answer, but that he is the father of Uma Thurman. That certainly explains her name.

Anyway, the man certainly earned his Phd in Buddhist Studies. He definitely knows what he's talking about. Even though I already knew most
Trevor Jones
Don't let this book's cover deceive you: although it is rather middle-minded, straight forward recommendations on how to live life day-to-day, it is no mushy self-help book either. I respect Thurman enough for his scholarly studies and dedication to Tibetan Buddhism over the past several decades, but it is his attitude and positive approach to speaking to the reader that won me over.

Although I consider myself an atheist, I have serious Buddhist sympathies that are only so far away from reconcil
Kathryn Jennex
I really enjoyed this. I didn’t read it cover to cover, I chose to look at topics that interested me the most. Robert Thurman writes in a way that makes Buddhist practices understandable and attainable. I particularly likes when he talks about meditating and says being mindful and interested in meditating does not have to be overwhelming. He gives an example of being in traffic and using that time to meditate. I recommend it, even if you’re just a little bit Bud-curious :) .
R.J.
companion book to a class I took with Thurman at The Tibet House.
Lectures were taken directly from text.
Very helpful book for exploring this line of teacher/philosphy.
Bernadine Rosso
Deep insights and intense realities brought to the surface. This book has the potential to carry one into life changing transformation, if chosen.
Jill
I really enjoyed Thurman's argument for the validity of the possibility of reincarnation in this book.
Jerry Worthylake
Have read this book 5 times over. I love it's boiling down of the dharma. Clear and consise
Tammy
Excellent book! Awakens the self to release habitual patterns of selfishness.
Jenny
Sep 06, 2007 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who feel like a finger at the base of their spine is propelling them forward always
Shelves: buddhism
better.
Jennifer Jacobs
Jennifer Jacobs marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Adam
Adam added it
Jan 21, 2015
Natfoxxfiends
Natfoxxfiends marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Joe
Joe added it
Jan 15, 2015
Labena Fleming
Labena Fleming marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Amy Hartman
Amy Hartman is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2015
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Donna Ertin
Donna Ertin marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Polly Dallas
Polly Dallas marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Danny Coeyman
Danny Coeyman marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Christine Olanio
Christine Olanio marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Dakini Power: Twelve Extraordinary Women Shaping the Transmission of Tibetan Buddhism in the West
  • The Book of Understanding: Creating Your Own Path to Freedom
  • Spiritual Ecology: The Cry of the Earth
  • The Meaning of Life from a Buddhist Perspective
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • One Dharma: The Emerging Western Buddhism
  • Walking Meditation [With CD and DVD]
  • Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth/Healing the Mind
  • Creating True Peace: Ending Violence in Yourself, Your Family, Your Community, and the World
  • Great Eastern Sun: The Wisdom of Shambhala
  • Ayurvedic Healing: A Comprehensive Guide
  • Polishing the Mirror: How to Live from Your Spiritual Heart
  • Awakening Shakti: The Transformative Power of the Goddesses of Yoga
  • Mending the Past and Healing the Future with Soul Retrieval
  • Kripalu Yoga: A Guide to Practice On and Off the Mat
  • No Time to Lose: A Timely Guide to the Way of the Bodhisattva
  • The Energies of Love: Using Energy Medicine to Keep Your Relationship Thriving
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the
More about Dalai Lama XIV...
The Art of Happiness An Open Heart: Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama