Start by marking “Lost Empire” as Want to Read:
Lost Empire

Lost Empire (Fargo Adventure #2)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  5,937 Ratings  ·  395 Reviews
Husband and wife team Sam and Remi Fargo return in this extraordinary new adventure following their "New York Times" bestselling debut, "Spartan Gold."
Published August 1st 2010 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Lost Empire, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Robin Gipson
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Neeka
Mar 22, 2014 Neeka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clive-cussler
Some of the reviews that I have read I honestly find amusing.... people have stated that this is unrealistic, the Fargos don't act like typical couple that are in their 30's, one reader complained that he spent the entire novel wondering what the Fargos looked like, and also that Clive Cussler is a racist due to how he portrayed the "evil" people in this book.
Well, it's an action adventure book about a couple who are treasure hunters. I don't see the problem with this at all... do you read th
Andrea
Why do I keep coming back to the Fargo adventures? Because this needs to happen in my life.

description

TOMB RAIDER X UNCHARTED FOREVER!!!

Until my fangirl dreams are fulfilled I am going to be content with the second best thing - Clive Cussler's husband/wife treasure-hunting duo on a track to a new adventure. This time Sam and Remi are pursuing the lost ship that might change recorded history of early Latin America. There is zero character development, convenient conflict resolutions, and non-stop action - e
Andreea Daia
There are quite a few issues I see with this novel, but overall, The Lost Empire is a serious improvement compared with Spartan Gold, the first book in this series. I'm torn apart between giving it credit for the changes in good or penalizing it for the remaining issues.

The good:
1) The kind of details that abounded in Spartan Gold (see my review) are gone and most of the remaining details are relevant or at least interesting. Since this was the most irritating issue that I found with the previou
Bandit
Oct 01, 2013 Bandit rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this an audio book, it isn't the kind of book I'd read, I don't think, it's more like a movie I might watch if I want to turn my brain off. This book actually is pretty much an equivalent of an average hollywood action adventure flick. It's number 2 in a series, but it works as a stand alone. Sam and Remi Fargo are cardboard cutout action stars, gorgeous, supersmart, crafty, uber rich globetrotting adventurers/treasure hunters. The stumble upon a discovery that may rewrite the enti ...more
Robin
Oct 07, 2010 Robin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-grown-ups
Read this one for love . . . My husband thought I'd enjoy the storyline and setting. And, I did -- the "historical" mystery was fun. But the writing!

The portrayals of the characters were cartoonish and ugly. The Fargos are completely unbelievable as a wealthy couple in their mid-30s. Their depth of skill and experience definitely makes them older, and Cussler never establishes any plausible motivation for them getting involved in so much violence in pursuit of the bell. The African and Mexican
Michael Shore
Sep 13, 2010 Michael Shore rated it it was ok
I guess i am slowly losing it for Cussler's books. So many different verisons of Cussler and it seems to have watered down the brand, at least for me. I liked the book but it was just ok. Too many times i found myself skimming as the words just didnt seem as if i needed to read them. And the truth is, i didn't. Same formula as most of his books and if i hadnt read about 30 or more of them over the past 35 years, i might have liked this one.

The other side of the coin is that i have found many mor
David
Aug 15, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Following their introduction in the novel Spartan Gold, this is the second Clive Cussler book featuring husband and wife treasure-hunting team Sam and Remi Fargo.

In this adventure Sam and Remi stumble upon an ancient relic from a long-lost Confederate ship whilst scuba diving in Tanzania. This is the catalyst for a secret that could even bring down Mexico's ruling party. A secret that is worth killing for.

The Fargos are pursued ruthlessly through Tanzania, Zanzibar, the rainforests of Madagascar
Jerry
Feb 09, 2013 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: Adventurers Sam and Remi Fargo stumble across an old bell while vacationing in Zanzibar. They soon discover that it was part of the Civil War battleship Shenandoah, which had been sold to Zanzibar's sultan and then disappeared. Unfortunately, someone else wants that bell bad enough to kill the Fargos for it, and Sam and Remi's journey to find its secrets and save it will take them all over the planet.

Review: What a surprise! I had never read a Clive Cussler novel before, but this one w
Morris Graham
Nov 01, 2013 Morris Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Sam and Remy Fargo, famous treasure hunters, find a ship's bell off the coast of Tanzania, Africa, they embark on a quest to unravel a 150 year old mystery. The story travels across the world involving Mexican politics, the Aztec empire, a post civil war union spy, and seven caves in Indonesia with teasure both real and archaological. The author is absolutely amazing in his details of skin diving, flying both a helicopter and plane, operating boats, his grasp of foreign places and cultures, ...more
Syrdarya
Sam and Remi Fargo are vacationing off the eastern coast of Africa when they discover something that may prove that the Aztecs originated over in that direction. A Mexican Aztec-centered political party wants this evidence first, and so they send a hitman after the Fargos.

This is very much an action book. There are long fight sequences, and I was unsure exactly what the Fargos wanted to do (document a nineteenth-century adventurer's life? find the bell? find the ship? send Aztec historical rese
Jeff
Jun 20, 2012 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Poorly edited (i.e. discussing the Fibonacci sequence seen in the journal BEFORE actually finding it in the journal), with idiotic plotting (o.k., we know the bad guys are going to follow us, should we hire some muscle or maybe bring a gun or two? Nah, let's just go by ourselves), and know-it-all heroes (Hey, I just remembered, I took a single class about Aztec culture way back in college! Now we can read Aztec glyphs and discuss esoteric details of Aztec history like we're experts!)

Cussler's or
James
Jun 18, 2012 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second installment of the treasure-hunting husband-and-wife team of Sam and Remi Fargo. The typical adventures and historical tidbits of a Cussler novel. Though once or twice I was looking over the main characters' shoulders. The story involves the possible origin of the A_____s. It includes locations such as I____a, M______r and Z____r. Oh, my. And the gigantic 1883 explosion that had global repercussions for several years afterward. A quick and light read to refresh your mind before you de ...more
Amanda
Sep 06, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it
I enjoyed this read - like the lack of gore and foul language, but I did get a little lost and still have no idea what the heck the deal was with the Aztecs and the Mexican president and why he had his knickers in a bunch to keep some information a secret - which it still is to me, as I have no idea what the secret was about the Aztecs that was such a big deal. I may have skimmed over that part. Overall, fun adventure.
Jeanne
Oct 04, 2015 Jeanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There were many exciting, nail-biting moments, but way too much historical commentary and detail for my taste. Just OK for me, mainly because when it was on-the-edge-of-your-seat exciting, it was amazingly suspenseful. 4 out of 10 for me.
Patricio
Jan 21, 2014 Patricio rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
El misterio del libro me ha gustado mucho y me ha tenido bastante enganchado pero el como esta escrito y la pareja protagonista y sus conversaciones no me han gustado nada.
Chris Norbury
Jul 18, 2017 Chris Norbury rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Cussler's/Blackwood's style--sophisticated, dry wit, with a certain elegance and rhythm to the prose.

The plot, while interesting, left me with many questions about how much of the Aztec story was true and what was a fabrication. I thought the details around all the research and historical data bogged the pace down in several places. Overall, if someone is interested in ancient Aztec history and/or migrations of indigenous peoples from one part of the world to another far away, this mak
Dale Young
Jul 15, 2017 Dale Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good adventure novel. The only thing that I don't like about the Fargo books is that the two main characters, husband and wife team Sam and Remi, barely show any affection towards each other. I realize it's an adventure novel and not a romance novel, but the lack of affection is so obvious it almost makes me think the Fargo novels were written for children, sort of like the old Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew mysteries.

I'm not saying the novels need graphic sex scenes or anything like that,
Ron
Jul 20, 2017 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the action/adventure genre and it is difficult to find books that are not filled with bad language, sex, and violence. This book was squeaky clean and fast-paced which I appreciated. I would have given it a higher rating except for two things. The dialogue between the two key characters is often corny at best. I also don't have any interest in what wines wealth will buy you when you pause to relax at a five start resort. I did like the book and I will read more in the series.
Shauna
Jul 15, 2017 Shauna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remy and Sam Fargo have found another lost treasure. This time a Lost Boat from the 1800’s from the USA, found in Indonesia. The secret of the Aztec Indian migration might be revealed with the find of the lost boat.

Love the history content of these mysteries and the James Bond adventures.
Eddy Bryant
This is the second book I have read in this series. Filled with action. The writing was good. I just wasn't thrilled with the story and the reason for the bad guys to do what they did. I will give the series another read sometime, but I may try the Dirk Pitt books first.
Darren Lott
Jun 21, 2017 Darren Lott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another intriguing mystery
Samyann
Aug 10, 2016 Samyann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review is specific to the first seven books of the Fargo series by Clive Cussler in audiobook format narrated by Scott Brick. All are published by Penguin Audio and are in the area of eleven to twelve hours of listening. Some of The Fargo Adventures have been co-authored with Grant Blackwood, Thomas Perry, Russell Blake or Robin Burcell. Early writings by Clive Cussler did not involve co-authors, however Cussler is in his mid-80s at this writing. All of these books cover a specific era of a ...more
Michael Kelley
Nov 02, 2016 Michael Kelley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Cussler thriller
Carol High
Mar 23, 2017 Carol High rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of Clive Cussler and love all of his characters. The wit, the adventure, what's lurking around the bend? Love it all.
Shannon
I definitely prefer the Fargos to other Cussler series, simply because the searching out of weird and forgotten history is so much more interesting to me. So while this has the usual elements of a Cussler book - lots of money to bend the rules and time/space, a band of merry co-conspirators, and improbable situations, it was still a lot of fun. I'd bump this up to 3.5 stars for the reduced amount of technical jargon alone!
Glen Carter
I enjoyed the historically based references, but to be honest nothing really stuck with me with this story. To be honest, I read this 4-5 months ago and either I have a seriously poor memory or this book gave me no reason to retain anything from the story. I remember the writing was decent, but overall the characters were pretty weak, the villain was yawn worthy and the only saving grace was the mystery/adventure element which helped me force my way through this book.
Shaun
Jun 25, 2015 Shaun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading Lost Empire the same day I finished Spartan Gold because I really enjoyed the adventures of Sam and Remi Fargo. In Lost Empire the treasure hunting duo are scuba diving off the Tanzanian coast when they discover a huge ship's bell, covered in cryptic carvings. They have barely begun to put the pieces of the puzzle back together before an attempt is made on their lives. Mexican President Quauhtli Garza knows where the ship's bell came from, and fears that the discovery of an anc ...more
Annelie
Oct 28, 2016 Annelie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-unread
I'm a huge fan of Clive Cussler, he is probably my all time favorite writer (sorry Rowling). So I should probably start by saying that I personally love far-fetched action/adventure plots--which is what Clive Cussler writes.

Normally Cussler books get 5 stars from me, because hell yea, another well-written, far-fetched plot written in a way that makes it hard for me to put the book down! And yes, the book was amazing, the details I'm used to were there (read: a bit too much detail at times).

What
George
Feb 17, 2017 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive
The story is about a lost Confederate ship--the captain may have found the origins of the Aztec people. The main characters are the husband and wife team of Sam and Remi Fargo. Their quest takes them all over the world; some parts of it carry no interest for me and I could not identify with it. Action abounds--just as it seems our heroes are doomed, they get out of that scrape and into another. Tedious sometimes, as strange as that may seem. The story might have been told at half the length of t ...more
Ken Doggett
This is an ongoing story of married 30-something couple Sam and Remi Fargo pursuing adventure as responsible treasure seekers looking into the case of the Civil War ship, the Shenandoah, and where it eventually ended up. It all starts when they find a bell that might possibly have come from that ship, off Chumbe Island, Zanzibar. That begins a chase by the bad guys, operatives of the President of the United Mexican States, who has a state secret he wants to keep hidden.

This is basically a series
Question 2 8 Oct 20, 2015 06:43AM
  • The Medusa Stone (Philip Mercer, #3)
  • Dark Zone (Deep Black, #3)
  • Death and Honor (Honor Bound, #4)
  • The Atlantis Revelation (Conrad Yeats Adventure, #3)
  • Nerve Center (Dreamland, #2)
  • Rembrandt's Ghost (Finn Ryan, #3)
  • The Balkan Escape (Cotton Malone, #5.5)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more
More about Clive Cussler...

Fargo Adventure (9 books)
  • Spartan Gold (Fargo Adventure, #1)
  • The Kingdom (Fargo Adventure, #3)
  • The Tombs (Fargo Adventure, #4)
  • The Mayan Secrets (Fargo Adventure, #5)
  • The Eye of Heaven (Fargo Adventure, #6)
  • The Solomon Curse (Fargo Adventure, #7)
  • Pirate (Fargo Adventure, #8)
  • The Romanov Ransom (Fargo Adventure #9)

“While like most men, Sam prided himself on being equipped with a supernatural internal compass that kept him from ever being lost, he'd also learned to concede those rare times when that compass seemed to be temporary disrepair.” 7 likes
“Life’s a daring adventure or nothing at all.” 6 likes