Start by marking “Final Approach” as Want to Read:
Final Approach

Final Approach

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  10 reviews
SABOTAGE....ACCIDENT....OR MURDER BY OMISSION?
The airline told passengers flying to Kansas City the skies were safe. They lied. On a rain-slashed night, Flight 255 crashes at Kansas City Airport -- triggering one of the most horrifying aviation disasters of the decade. Put simply, it never should have happened. Safety Board investigator Joe Wallingford races to find out wh...more
Published January 22nd 1992 by Fawcett (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Final Approach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Approach

Kathleen Hagen
Final Approach, by John Nance, a-minus, produced by the Library of Congress National Library Services and borrowed from that library.

In this thriller, John Nance creates a situation which everyone dreads occurring. This is in the late 1980’s. An air bus, a mammoth plane, is coming in to Kansas City airport during a thunderstorm. The airport is thinking about closing down the runways because of the constant lightning strikes and loss of visibility. On an adjacent runway a Boeing 737 sits, fully l...more
David
Final Approach deals with the aftermath of a aircraft accident and the investigative process. This accident has multiple possible causes-- pilot error, weather, system failure, electronic interference, sabotage-- and each one of them is duly explored and carefully examined. Along the way, the author introduces us into the process and manages to provide enough interesting clues and red herrings as to create a really good mystery\thriller.

Along the way, the author also manages to punch out a few...more
Patti
I love John J. Nance's books. While reading them I am completely immersed in the story. For some unknown reason, I also seem to love to read air disaster books...even though I love to fly.

In final approach, flight 255 crashes while attempting to land at Kansas City Airport. It is up to Joe Wallingford of the NTSB to find out why. But it isn't easy given the barriers thrown up by the airlines, the pilot and even his own boss. But he is determined to find the cause even if it costs him his beloved...more
Leez Matías
Es una historia corta de carácter programático. Pero me parece que agota mucho el suspenso y el.final es muy obvio.
Susan
Political Mystery) Usually the characters in a John Nance book at in flight and in peril. This story holds the same amount of tension and suspense but the crash happens at the beginning of the book. Two major airliners crash into each other on the ground. The how and why make one of the most interesting political mysteries I've ever read.
Wayne
Possibly because I'm interested in the technical aspects of aircraft accident investigations, I enjoyed this effort by John Nance more than some of his others. He avoided dwelling on the romantic involvements of his characters, and conentrated on the causes for the trajedy.
Debi
Sep 26, 2008 Debi added it
In this aviation thriller, a horrific crash of 2 airplanes is investigated by the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board). Political interference, airline cover-ups, it was a suspenseful book trying to find out what happened. Another good mystery.
JenniferB
I didn't really like this book, way to much technical airplane/airport jargon for me. On the other hand, my husband loved it.
Andrea Kepner
If Nance wants to be successful as an author, he should go back to writing books like this.
Diana H.
Simply terrifying!
Thom
Thom marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Reading Lar
Reading Lar marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
James Alston
James Alston is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2014
Erin Kirchmeier
Erin Kirchmeier marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Jorge A.g.g.
Jorge A.g.g. marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Libbye
Libbye marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Aryan
Aryan marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Krishna Sundhar
Krishna Sundhar marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Asteropê
Asteropê marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
John J. Nance is an American pilot, aviation safety expert, and author. He served in the USAF during the Vietnam War and also as a Lt. Colonel in Operation Desert Storm.
More about John J. Nance...
Pandora's Clock Orbit Blackout Turbulence Medusa's Child