Start by marking “Dancing with Eva” as Want to Read:
Dancing with Eva

Dancing with Eva

In April 1945 Hitler's bunker in Berlin was the last place Edith Mecklenburg wanted to be. Faced with the constant bombing and the inexorable Russian advance, Hitler's grip on reality weakened by the hour. But Edith had no choice: as secretary to Eva Braun, Hitler's mistress and - for a few final, desperate hours - his wife, Edith had to see it through to the bitter end. A ...more
Published April 2nd 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing with Eva, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing with Eva

Erin
May 04, 2013 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

I thought Alan Judd's Dancing with Eva had a lot of potential when I first discovered it, but the reality was a bit of a letdown. And by bit, I mean my first thought on finishing the book was a self-congratulatory felicitation on not having thrown the book at my wall.

Thematically speaking, there are a few interesting things going on in this piece, but the style and tone of the narrative left me bored and disinterested. The f
Marija S. ivanovska
Feb 28, 2013 Marija S. ivanovska rated it it was ok
Приказна која не враќа во современата историја, во мрачниот залез на фашистичките идеи на Хитлер. Лесно е да осудуваме некого само затоа што бил понесен од толпата, уште полесно е низ бројки да говориме за илјадниците мртви - невини жртви на налудничавата еуфорија. Но, овојпат авторот се обидува да ни отвори нови видици, ни нуди поглед од еден поинаков агол, поглед кој не тера да се запрашаме кој бил всушност Хитлер. Светски познат по злосторничкиот геноцид, суровоста со која владеел... сепак, ч ...more
Brian
Feb 21, 2010 Brian rated it it was amazing
Edith Mecklenburg was Eva Braun's (fictional) personal assistant. As such, she was with her mistress and Hitler in the bunker during the last days of the war. Unlike Eva, Edith did not choose to commit suicide when the allied troops closed in. Instead she was captured by allied troops and ended up marrying her interrogator.

Now elderly, living in a big house in the English countryside she has become almost more English than the English and would rather not remember her time as part of Hitler's e
Velvetink
Mar 14, 2013 Velvetink rated it really liked it
Fictional account of Eva Braun's personal secretary. Thought provoking yet again on the banality of evil - takes many twists and turns.

14/03/13 1 of 19 books for $10
Hanneke
Mar 04, 2013 Hanneke rated it did not like it
Een 2e-rangs boek van een 2e-rangs schrijver. Ik heb het boek gelezen omdat het zo'n goede recensies op dizzie kreeg en omdat ik heel erg verbaasd was dat Eva Braun een secretaresse bleek te hebben gehad. Deze secretaresse werd namelijk nooit vermeld in boeken, documentaires, films en getuigenverklaringen. Dat klopt ook, want ze heeft dan ook nooit bestaan. Kijk, als je als schrijver de euvele moed hebt een fictief personage op te voeren in zo'n beladen historische setting, doe het dan ook histo ...more
Ape
Rachel Brand
Mar 31, 2008 Rachel Brand rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, 2008, library, wwii
This is a fantastically written and very compelling novel. It is so well researched and historically accurate that I actually found myself believing that Eva Braun had a secratery, and wondered why she had never appeared in the movie of Hitler's last days, 'Downfall.' It wasn't until I read the author's note at the back of the book that I discovered that Eva's secratery was entirely fictional! 9/10
I'd recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the events in Germany during WWII but doesn
Silke
Jan 04, 2013 Silke rated it it was ok
I have been looking forward to read this book since the day that I bought it... and what a disappointment it has been. Maybe I expected a little bit to much from this book. I am just starting to read about World War II, so I don't have a lot of experience reading fictional books about this subject.. But this book just felt like it dragged on and on. The discussions between the two main characters were very philosophical and never really coming to a point. The whole dark secret that was revealed ...more
Yna Fempia Paez
Dec 10, 2012 Yna Fempia Paez rated it liked it
Shelves: booksale, nazi-regime
It was only during the end part that I was completely tuned in to the story. At first it was really very boring as everything that happened in the past were narrated in a very long (and I mean very long) conversation between Edith and Hans, a soldier she knew back in the days.

It was also not very engaging as I lost interest while reading it because, let's face it, the author used to many complicated words and grand phrases. I just wished he kept the narrative itself simple so one can concentrate
Katie Grainger
Jul 22, 2011 Katie Grainger rated it liked it
I found this book pretty interesting for the most part, however there were some sections where I really wanted to characters to get to the point. The story follows Edith, Secretary to Eva Braun and recounts the last days in Hitler's bunker before the Third Reich collapsed.

There were some interesting issues discussed in the book regarding the morality of the people surrounding Hitler and whether they held any blame for his actions. All in all an interesting read but does drag along a little in p
TMJ
May 02, 2008 TMJ rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those who like historical fiction
Good read but disappointing in terms of storyline. Author is too interested in being clever and naval gazing about the moral whys and wherefores of Hitler's Germany. Makes you want to read more about the last days of Hitler's bunker but could do with much more tension and twists.

My rating is ***
Susan
Feb 07, 2009 Susan rated it it was ok
The story of Edith, who as a young women, worked for Eva Braun recounts the last days of the Second World War in a Berlin bunker to someone she has not seen for 40 years. So far, I'm not particularly enthralled but will keep going...........

I'm glad I stayed with this book - especially for the discussion on sanity!

The ending was quite dark and dare I say appropriate!

Bachyboy
Oct 25, 2010 Bachyboy rated it liked it
I rather liked this but the writer seemed to struggle with what kind of book he was writing; a novel based on Eva Braun or a quasi historical account of Hitler's last days. Two characters who were both involved in Hitler's entourage at that time meet in their 80's to discuss the last weeks of Hitler's life and the chaos after it. Good ending.
Ashley
Nov 16, 2011 Ashley rated it liked it
I had higher hopes for this book, but sadly the story seemed flat and didn't keep my interest for long- this coming from the person who loves WWII themed books. The ending was anti-climatic and rather disappointing.
Alison
Oct 15, 2008 Alison rated it liked it
I was disappointed with this book thinking it would give more insight into the last days of Hitler's 'reign' and more of a description (albeit fictional) of the last days in the bunker. In my opinion the storyline seemed to stumble along to its conclusion.
Nada
Feb 16, 2015 Nada rated it it was amazing
This story had me hooked from the outset. Hans' motives of reliving the past are questionable throughout but especially at the end when the question arises of Edith's son's paternity. This is a work of fiction but the eloquence of this piece drives me to seek out actual histories surrounding WWII.
Lianne Ramsden
Jan 18, 2010 Lianne Ramsden rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. I couldn't put this book down. Offers a really different perspective on the novels about war you usually find. It was really well paced and built to a brilliant ending!
Kate
Oct 27, 2012 Kate rated it did not like it
This was not a good example of how fact can meet fiction.
Debbie
Jan 30, 2011 Debbie rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2011
Perfectly readable but didn't find myself completely drawn in until the closing chapters of the book.
Sheena
Jun 12, 2010 Sheena rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
enjoyed this one too only took a couple of days to read
Elizabeth Micallef
Elizabeth Micallef rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Nives
Nives rated it really liked it
May 10, 2013
Briere Kop
Briere Kop rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2013
Kettricken
Kettricken rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2008
OljaG13
OljaG13 rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Virginia
Virginia rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2014
Celeste Clark
Celeste Clark rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2016
Markita Taliana
Markita Taliana rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2015
  • Eva's Cousin
  • Tamburlaine Must Die
  • Day of the Bees
  • Todos os Sonhos do Mundo
  • Finished Off (Bellehaven House #2)
  • I Need You (Elizabeth, #6)
  • Boys of Blood & Bone
  • Crushes, Cliques and the Cool School Trip (Ally's World, #13)
  • Come Away With Me
  • The Nightingale
  • Orphans of the Storm
  • The German Boy
  • Scipio Africanus (The Carthage Trilogy, #2)
  • Pismo gospođe Vilme