The Donkey's Dream

The Donkey's Dream

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A beautifully illustrated story of the Nativity. He was just an ordinary donkey, but on his back he carried a miracle. He carried the Virgin Mary to Bethlehem on the night she gave birth. Along the way he dreamed he was carrying a city, a ship, a fountain, and a rose. He dreamed he was carrying a lady full of heaven--and he was. Barbara Helen Berger's glowing artwork and l...more
Published October 30th 1985 by Philomel

Kathryn
This is a beautiful book, illustrations and meaning. I just loved it! So much so that it's hard for me to really describe it. I'll refer you to my GR friend Abigail's fabulous review for more, since I can't say it better myself: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Jane G Meyer
I love this book! The virgin Mary has been described poetically in many ways: as a ship, a rose, a city... In this tale for children the donkey dreams of carrying these things while he plods along the road to Bethlehem with Mary on his back. A lovely Christmas tale.
Sam Grace
The story of the birth of Jesus from the perspective of the donkey, but not funny, just peaceful. Those stars on the cover are also inside. I remember loving to stare at some of the images in this. I can't wait to read it again when I visit mom's house.
Cheryl
A sweet tale of a donkey's imagination with beautiful illustrations.

Author's notes in the back explain the significance of each item the donkey imagined he was carrying in relationship to the Virgin Mary.
Sébastien
A story is more interesting when it comes from the perspective of a donkey! First book about the birth of Jesus that maintained my 3 year old son's attention.
Gary
Nice pictures and for the most part, nice story. Has a bit more attention on Mary then it should. Maybe it is attended for Catholic children?
Olson Family Matters
Cute perspective. Didn't happen to be one of Madelyn's favorites this year. Perhaps the perspective is a bit beyond her at two.
Polly
Barbara Berger writes and illustrates some of the most beautiful books in the universe, and this is one of them.
Tender story and rich illustrations combine to make this a worthy Christmas book for collectors.
Meredith Henning
read around the year, especially at advent/christmas
Haley
Cute book for kids about the birth of Jesus Christ.
Jobiska (Cindy)
Superb, jewel-like illustrations.
Vicky
Just beautiful.
Cindi
Dec 26, 2008 Cindi marked it as to-read
BEAUTIFUL PICTURES!
Suzy Platt
Suzy Platt marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa added it
Jun 26, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Abby Sherlock
Abby Sherlock marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Lawanda Mckenzie
Lawanda Mckenzie marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
  • The Nutcracker
  • Light of Christmas
  • An Orange for Frankie
  • The Story of Holly and Ivy
  • The Glorious Impossible [Illustrated with Frescoes from the Scrovegni Chapel by Giotto]
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • A Pussycat's Christmas
  • Santa Mouse
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Night Tree
  • Santa's Favorite Story
Barbara Helen Berger grew up loving to draw and paint. She studied Art at the University of Washington in Seattle, her home town, where she earned a BFA degree in Painting. During her five years of study, she also went to Yale Summer School of Music & Art, and to Tyler School of Art in Rome, Italy. In Italy she saw the art she had loved from childhood, seen in her father's art books at home.

Fo...more
More about Barbara Helen Berger...
Grandfather Twilight Gwinna When the Sun Rose A Lot of Otters All The Way to Lhasa: A Tale from Tibet