Start by marking “The Donkey's Dream” as Want to Read:
The Donkey's Dream

The Donkey's Dream

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  291 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
A beautifully illustrated story of the Nativity. He was just an ordinary donkey, but on his back he carried a miracle. He carried the Virgin Mary to Bethlehem on the night she gave birth. Along the way he dreamed he was carrying a city, a ship, a fountain, and a rose. He dreamed he was carrying a lady full of heaven--and he was. Barbara Helen Berger's glowing artwork and l ...more
Published October 30th 1985 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about The Donkey's Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Donkey's Dream

A Christmas Carol by Charles DickensHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
174th out of 795 books — 1,107 voters
The Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgAnimalia by Graeme BaseThe Mitten by Jan BrettStellaluna by Janell CannonThe Eleventh Hour by Graeme Base
Children's Picture Books With Beautiful illustrations
247th out of 1,135 books — 1,076 voters

More lists with this book...

Ruth Sophia
Feb 09, 2015 Ruth Sophia rated it it was ok
Open to interpretation

A donkey dreams he is carrying, in turn, a city, a ship, a rose, and a fountain on his back. The author's note explains how these symbols are connected with the virgin, Mary. This is the Catholic view. A Protestant could read this book & see all the symbols as representing Jesus. But a pagan could read the story & see it representing mother earth! Until the author's note at the end there is nothing to necessarily connect this story to that of Christmastime, & (
Olivia
Nov 21, 2015 Olivia rated it liked it
This is a story about the birth of Jesus, as told from the perspective of a donkey. The story is surprisingly smooth and peaceful. This would be a good book to introduce young children to the story of Jesus' birth.
Andrew Lovell
Dec 04, 2014 Andrew Lovell rated it really liked it
This book is peaceful and relaxing. The donkey carries Marry on her journey to Bethlehem where the baby Jesus is born. The Author's note in the back really helps the reader understand the symbolism in the book.
Kathryn
Jan 12, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book, illustrations and meaning. I just loved it! So much so that it's hard for me to really describe it. I'll refer you to my GR friend Abigail's fabulous review for more, since I can't say it better myself: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Jane G Meyer
Jan 09, 2008 Jane G Meyer rated it it was amazing
I love this book! The virgin Mary has been described poetically in many ways: as a ship, a rose, a city... In this tale for children the donkey dreams of carrying these things while he plods along the road to Bethlehem with Mary on his back. A lovely Christmas tale.
Sam Grace
Dec 18, 2009 Sam Grace rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sam by: Lois
The story of the birth of Jesus from the perspective of the donkey, but not funny, just peaceful. Those stars on the cover are also inside. I remember loving to stare at some of the images in this. I can't wait to read it again when I visit mom's house.
Cheryl
A sweet tale of a donkey's imagination with beautiful illustrations.

Author's notes in the back explain the significance of each item the donkey imagined he was carrying in relationship to the Virgin Mary.
Sébastien
Dec 02, 2012 Sébastien rated it really liked it
A story is more interesting when it comes from the perspective of a donkey! First book about the birth of Jesus that maintained my 3 year old son's attention.
Cindy
Mar 18, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas, children-s
This is a Christmas story I used to read my kids. It never failed to make me cry. It's beautifully illustrated & a wonderful, touching story.
Gary
Oct 15, 2009 Gary rated it liked it
Nice pictures and for the most part, nice story. Has a bit more attention on Mary then it should. Maybe it is attended for Catholic children?
Olson Family Matters
Feb 04, 2012 Olson Family Matters rated it it was ok
Shelves: pre-k-christmas
Cute perspective. Didn't happen to be one of Madelyn's favorites this year. Perhaps the perspective is a bit beyond her at two.
Polly
Barbara Berger writes and illustrates some of the most beautiful books in the universe, and this is one of them.
Jul 16, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: seasonal-holiday
Tender story and rich illustrations combine to make this a worthy Christmas book for collectors.
Kelsey Yates
Feb 27, 2015 Kelsey Yates rated it liked it
Lovely illustrations. A beautiful Christmas story I remember from my childhood.
Meredith Henning
read around the year, especially at advent/christmas
(ha)Ley
Cute book for kids about the birth of Jesus Christ.
Jobiska (Cindy)
Jul 26, 2011 Jobiska (Cindy) rated it really liked it
Superb, jewel-like illustrations.
Vicky
Aug 26, 2013 Vicky rated it it was amazing
Just beautiful.
Rebekah Wilder
Rebekah Wilder marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Kyle Davis
Kyle Davis marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Kate Fox
Kate Fox rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
Trisha Earles Ham-Ying
Trisha Earles Ham-Ying rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Liketothelark
Liketothelark rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Gary
Gary rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Marian
Marian rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
  • Santa's Favorite Story
  • Cobweb Christmas: The Tradition of Tinsel
  • Humphreys First Christmas
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
Barbara Helen Berger grew up loving to draw and paint. She studied Art at the University of Washington in Seattle, her home town, where she earned a BFA degree in Painting. During her five years of study, she also went to Yale Summer School of Music & Art, and to Tyler School of Art in Rome, Italy. In Italy she saw the art she had loved from childhood, seen in her father's art books at home.

Fo
More about Barbara Helen Berger...