Start by marking “The Donkey's Dream” as Want to Read:
The Donkey's Dream

The Donkey's Dream

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A beautifully illustrated story of the Nativity. He was just an ordinary donkey, but on his back he carried a miracle. He carried the Virgin Mary to Bethlehem on the night she gave birth. Along the way he dreamed he was carrying a city, a ship, a fountain, and a rose. He dreamed he was carrying a lady full of heaven--and he was. Barbara Helen Berger's glowing artwork and l ...more
Published October 30th 1985 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about The Donkey's Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Donkey's Dream

Ruth Sophia
Open to interpretation

A donkey dreams he is carrying, in turn, a city, a ship, a rose, and a fountain on his back. The author's note explains how these symbols are connected with the virgin, Mary. This is the Catholic view. A Protestant could read this book & see all the symbols as representing Jesus. But a pagan could read the story & see it representing mother earth! Until the author's note at the end there is nothing to necessarily connect this story to that of Christmastime, & (
Andrew Lovell
This book is peaceful and relaxing. The donkey carries Marry on her journey to Bethlehem where the baby Jesus is born. The Author's note in the back really helps the reader understand the symbolism in the book.
This is a beautiful book, illustrations and meaning. I just loved it! So much so that it's hard for me to really describe it. I'll refer you to my GR friend Abigail's fabulous review for more, since I can't say it better myself:
Jane G Meyer
I love this book! The virgin Mary has been described poetically in many ways: as a ship, a rose, a city... In this tale for children the donkey dreams of carrying these things while he plods along the road to Bethlehem with Mary on his back. A lovely Christmas tale.
Sam Grace
The story of the birth of Jesus from the perspective of the donkey, but not funny, just peaceful. Those stars on the cover are also inside. I remember loving to stare at some of the images in this. I can't wait to read it again when I visit mom's house.
A sweet tale of a donkey's imagination with beautiful illustrations.

Author's notes in the back explain the significance of each item the donkey imagined he was carrying in relationship to the Virgin Mary.
A story is more interesting when it comes from the perspective of a donkey! First book about the birth of Jesus that maintained my 3 year old son's attention.
Nice pictures and for the most part, nice story. Has a bit more attention on Mary then it should. Maybe it is attended for Catholic children?
Olson Family Matters
Cute perspective. Didn't happen to be one of Madelyn's favorites this year. Perhaps the perspective is a bit beyond her at two.
Barbara Berger writes and illustrates some of the most beautiful books in the universe, and this is one of them.
Tender story and rich illustrations combine to make this a worthy Christmas book for collectors.
Kelsey Yates
Lovely illustrations. A beautiful Christmas story I remember from my childhood.
Meredith Henning
read around the year, especially at advent/christmas
Jobiska (Cindy)
Superb, jewel-like illustrations.
Just beautiful.
Maureen marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Nora marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Cristina marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Omar marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Ashlyn marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
  • How Santa Got His Job
  • Santa's Favorite Story
  • The Weight of a Mass: A Tale of Faith
  • The Squire and the Scroll: A Tale of the Rewards of a Pure Heart
  • The Glorious Impossible [Illustrated with Frescoes from the Scrovegni Chapel by Giotto]
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
Barbara Helen Berger grew up loving to draw and paint. She studied Art at the University of Washington in Seattle, her home town, where she earned a BFA degree in Painting. During her five years of study, she also went to Yale Summer School of Music & Art, and to Tyler School of Art in Rome, Italy. In Italy she saw the art she had loved from childhood, seen in her father's art books at home.

More about Barbara Helen Berger...
Grandfather Twilight Gwinna When the Sun Rose A Lot of Otters Angels on a Pin