Start by marking “Aube Du Desert (L')” as Want to Read:
Aube Du Desert (L')

Aube Du Desert (L')

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  1,373 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Fashion model, UN ambassador and courageous spirit, Waris Dirie is a remarkable woman. Born into a family of tribal desert nomads in Somalia, she told her story - enduring female circumcision at five years old; running away at 12 through the desert in order to escape an arranged marriage; being discovered by Terence Donovan as she worked as a cleaner in London; and becomin...more
Published November 1st 2002 by Albin Michel (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Aube Du Desert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aube Du Desert

Pam Geemul
I never came across this book in mainstream bookshops here in Mauritius, so I consider myself lucky that I got it in a charity shop, for less than one pound. On the other hand though, it is very sad that this book, extraordinary in so many ways, was found in a small charity shop in a sorry state, whilst books like 50 shades of grey are being lauded everywhere.
This is the second autobiographical book by Waris Dirie and this one recounts Waris’ journey back to Somalia to meet her mother. I have no...more
Ankur Rastogi
Desert Dawn is the sequel to the very popular & appreciated book "Desert Flower". While the first one was excellent from almost all aspects be it content, writing style, readability, somehow the second one fails in almost everything.

The first one had an agenda, a message which was put across very strongly. The issue of female genital mutiliation was shocking which was presented with utmost care and sensitivity.

This one is about Waris journey back to her roots in Somalia. But it just come acr...more
Yumi Learner
A couple of days ago I finished reading my twenty first book this year in English. I've been reading a book every day, and my goal for this year is also to accomplish to read forty eight books in English. I've been keeping it for three years.

My twenty first book was as great as my twentieth book. It was sequent to the book. I learned and thought a lot of things about Africa, Muslim, male dominated society and female circumcision. Before reading these books, I've never heard the word before. I've...more
Janet Render
I ususually only read fiction, but my aunt recommended this book to me because I am currently taking a course in uni on islam, and she thought this book would give me more insight in the world of the musllims. I do not agree with that statement, as this book is more about Somalia and the culture of nomads than it is about islam. Still, I found the book to be informative, interesting, and very touching since this is a rather personal report. This is the kind of book that somewhat unintentionally...more
Tuanita
Logo nas primeiras páginas fiquei horrorizada...
«As mulheres midgaan que fazem a circuncisão usam uma lâmina de navalha ou uma faca afiada numa pedra para o corte. [...] Recorrem a uma pasta de mirra para estancarem o sangue, mas quando as coisas correm mal não dispomos de penicilina. Mais tarde, quando a rapariga se casa, o noivo tenta abrir à força a infibulação da noiva na noite de núpcias. Se a abertura for demasiado pequena, a rapariga é aberta com uma faca.»
A verdade é que o facto de o liv...more
Liralen
In Desert Flower, Dirie told her story of a nomadic childhood in Somalia and her eventual escape immigration to the West; here she describes returning to Somalia for a visit after more than twenty years away.

It's true what they say; there is no feeling like it--there is no feeling like home. Oh how I missed that feeling of belonging to something much greater than myself. (180)

It's a homecoming, but Dirie also knows that she was right to leave Somalia, that she is better off in New York. Her visi...more
Ape
Bookcrossing journal:

Very fascinating read about Somalia - of which I knew so little beforehand. And in some respects it sounds a bit nightmarish living there - eg. repression of women, female circumcision. But Waris is a Somalian herself, equally frustrated by these problems and yet she still loves her country and her people and this really comes through in her writing and allows you to see other aspects of the country.

She ran away from the country in her early teens to escape an arranged marri...more
Lisi
Waris Dirie erzählt in ihrem aktuellen Buch „Schwarze Frau, weißes Land“ von Europa, ihrer neuen Heimat, aber auch von ihrer Sehnsucht nach ihrem Heimatland Afrika und ihren Plänen das Leben für die Menschen dort zu verbessern. Ein großes Thema dieses Buches ist wieder ihre Aufklärungsarbeit über weibliche Genitalverstümmelung und wie wichtig der Kampf für die Natur und die Frauenrechte in Afrika.
Was ich als sehr anregend empfunden habe, ist das jedes neue Kapitel mit einer afrikanischen Lebens...more
Susan
The story itself was good, easy to read, and honest. In terms of the Author, considering she wrote this book about herself you would think that you finish thinking that this woman was beautiful and lovely and just a really good person ultimately. But to be honest I felt that she DIDN'T paint herself in a good light and this made the book all the more charming for me, and real.

Waris talks about some VERY difficult subjects with honesty but succinctly so that you don't feel bad for reading and ta...more
Martina ♥ Bookaholic
Liked that book and it's still a though way for Waris Dirie, but she is still a strong and admirable woman. I respect here and she is great.

Handlung:
Diese Geschichte setzt fast 20 Jahre nach der Flucht von Waris Dirie aus Somalia an. Erzählt wird wie sie, nach einer privaten Krise, den Entschluss fasst zurück in ihre Heimat zu gehen um ihre Familie zu finden. Dort muss sie sich mit ihrer Vergangenheit und mit der Widerbegegnung ihrer Familie auseinander setzten und die Herausforderung meister...more
Manja
In diesem Buch erzählt Waris von ihrem Kampf gegen die Genitalverstümmelung bei jungen Mädchen. Ihr Buch "Wüstenblume soll verfilmt werden und sie reist zu den Dreharbeiten in ihr Heimatland Afrika. Problematik ist, das es auch auf der ganzen Welt, wo es Landsleute gibt, die an der Tradition festhalten wollen.
Sie selbst ist ja auch ein Opfer dieser Verstümmelung. Da sie mittlerweile als Model ja ziemlich bekannt ist, nutzt sie dies auch um eine eigene Foundation zu gründen und sie ist auch UN-Bo...more
jazz-ee2
This book was sent by the lovely bookfrogster, to be read before starting off on another journey of a joint bookring along with the first book Desert Flower.

I was really looking forward to finding out more about the next instalment of Waris Dirie's life, and wasn't disappointed. Whilst Desert Flower looked back on her experience as a child and young adult, growing up in a Nomad family in the Somali desert, in this book Dirie returns to Somalia as an adult to see her family and country once more....more
Uthpala Dassanayake
After telling us her story in ‘Desert Flower’, Waris Dirie has dedicated Desert Dawn entirely for her long awaited visit to her relatives. It was a troubled time in Somalia and against all the warnings from people around her, she decides to make the visit. You can see the same stubborn and determined spirit which made her to run away as a young girl urging her to make the visit against all advices.
The incidents and feelings are presented in a very straight forward, yet moving manner. Waris’ stru...more
Tinea
The second memoir of Waris Dirie, a Somalian woman from a nomadic family who ran away from home at the age of 13 to avoid a forced marriage to an old man. In her first book (which I have not read), she tells the story of her childhood in Somalia, her infibulation, her escape across the desert to Europe, and her eventual "discovery" there by a modeling agent. In the intervening years Dirie has made a career as a model and become the outspoken UN Ambassador for Women's Rights, focusing on female g...more
*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•*
I read this right after reading Desert Flower! I'm thinking about getting her third book Desert Children.
Waris goes back to Somalia after being gone for 20 years, and reunites with her family! This book made me tear up a few times. I also got angry at the way women are treated in Somalia. On the journey back to the airport that will take them home, Waris and her brother stop at a resturaunt. The people running the resturaunt expect Waris to eat in the back by the restroom (which is more like an...more
Amanda Morris
I liked this second book better than the first, by a little. I loved hearing the journey of Waris, who had come so far in the first book, all the way from Somalia to be a model in New York. Pretty amazing story in itself. But this second book is the journey of her return to Somalia after creating a new life for herself in New York. Oh, how the cultures are so very different. It is great to read about the differences and I loved it from Waris' perspective. How she loves her family so much and res...more
Kirei
I've read "Desert Flower" about how Waris Dirie escaped an arranged marriage, left Somalia and ended up becoming a model and a spokesperson against female genital mutilation. It was fascinating. I skipped the next book "Desert Children" because it wasn't in our library. So this is the third book "Desert Dawn."

It is about how she returns to her home of war-torn Somalia, despite the fact that her British passport forbids British citizens to go to Somalia and how everyone tells her it is too dange...more
chucklesthescot
Waris has her new life in the USA but her mind returns to the family she left behind in war torn Somalia and she decides she must go home with her brother. On the journey she finds her new Western ideals clashing with the teachings she was brought up with in Somalia, and she struggles to be taken seriously because she is a woman.

This was fascinating to read although I have not read her first book where she escapes an arranged marriage in Somalia. Here we see all the differences between two cult...more
Hodan A
The movie ruined the book for me...but it's a nice book. A look into a society that has problems like any other, but it is the civil war that really ruined everything(there was not enough about that in the book- maybe because Ms Dirie already left the country). The book was not brutal enough though, it fell short to show the real image of post-war Somalia which is far more ugly.
Kristy
This book was really good. Great book if you want to get cultured or are feeling sorry for yourself because you think you are poor or have it bad in this country.

I was telling my husband Alen about how the author critized the U.S. when she was living there and then when she went back to Somali how she critizing that country too. It was kind of like she was never satisfied in either place. Alen told me he has relatives who live in France who are the same way. Always complaining about France but...more
Peta Smith
Amazing book, I'd been advised my an Indian friend of mine to read it as she took note to the types of books I was reading at the time. This was the second book by Waris, her first being Desert Flower. I found her and her books to be uplifting although sad... She is truly a strong person with a beautiful soul. I loved Waris Derie ;)
June Crossman
This book is a reminder of how blessed I am to live where I do and to read how Waris overcame her circumstances and now fights for others to do the same.
Melissa Clarke
Amazing story of an amazing woman! I have read this book many times and I still enjoy it as much as when I first read it.
مليحه
از متن کتاب :
مادرم نام یکی از شاهکارهای طبیعت را روی من گذاشت. واریس به معنی گل صحراست. گل صحرا در محیط های بی آب و علف می روید، جایی که کم تر موجود زنده ای می تواند در آن زنده بماند. گاهی اتفاق می افتد که یک سال هم در کشورم باران نمی بارد. اما وقتی بالاخره باران می بارد و زمین پر گرد و خاک می شوید، معجزه رخ می دهد و گل ها ظاهر می شوند. گل صحرا رنگ نارنجی مایل به زرد درخشانی دارد و به همین دلیل زرد رنگ محبوب من است
چه قدر خوندن کتاب گُل صحرا که زندگینامه دختری آفریقایی است جذاب بود. داستان مبارز...more
Sandra
This book teriffied me. So honest story that really left deep impression on me.
Elie
The next installment of Dirie's memoirs--before her next book, which is dry to the point of unreadable and focuses only on FGM--follows her as she returns to Somalia after a decade away. Dirie's joy at being home and seeing her family are interrupted by occasional frustration at the limits on women imposed by Somali culture, and she expresses both feelings clearly and with lyricism (or her ghost writer does). This is a quick and rather engrossing read, as Dirie's story is quite an exceptional on...more
Stella
This is an incredibly beautiful and inspiring story! I had read Dirie’s first book, Desert Flower, years ago and was completely fascinated by her life story. I enjoyed this book equally as much. Reading of her journey back to Somalia and her reunion with her family was incredibly touching. Looking forward to starting Desert Children and learning more about Dirie’s work to end FGM as a UN ambassador. Inspiring! Inspiring! Inspiring!
Roos Boum
Hoewel veel mensen vol lof over dit boek spreken, ben ik er niet over te spreken. Het verhaal zelf is ongetwijfeld indrukwekkend, daar zal ik het niet over hebben, maar de schrijfwijze vond ik buitengewoon irritant. Ik had het gevoel naar een storende grammafoon te luisteren waar telkens hetzelfde herhaald wordt.
Chel Hartrick
PMQ library
Autobiography of Dirie, Somalian model for Revlon. Story of her return to visit her mother and family clan. Great insight into Somalian life and Muslim ways.

Simply written and although author's writing is a bit disjointed, a nonetheless fetching story and the issue of female circumcision.
  • Born in the Big Rains: A Memoir of Somalia and Survival
  • My Brother, My Sister, and I
  • Slave: My True Story
  • Three Thousand Miles for a Wish
  • Fear Itself
Waris Dirie (Somali: Waris Diiriye, Arabic: واريس ديري‎) (born in 1965) is a Somali model, author, actress and human rights activist.

In 1997, Waris abandoned her modeling career to focus on her work against female circumcision. That same year, she was appointed UN Special Ambassador for the Elimination of Female Genital Mutilation(FGM).
More about Waris Dirie...
Desert Flower: The Extraordinary Journey of a Desert Nomad Desert Children Waris Dirie Omnibus Mijn woestijn / Dochter van de nomaden Brief An Meine Mutter