Start by marking “Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington, #11)” as Want to Read:
Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington, #11)

Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington #11)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  4,127 ratings  ·  134 reviews
Two-Dollar Bill delivers all the storytelling twists and whip-smart banter readers have come to love in Stuart Woods's thrillers, as suave Manhattan cop-turned-lawyer Stone Barrington is back on his home turf caught between a filthy rich conman-who's just become his client-and a beautiful prosecutor.
Published April 12th 2005 by Signet Book (first published October 10th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Two Dollar Bill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Dollar Bill

Jerry
Decent enough Barrington, twisty suspense / entertainment!

Maybe the most obvious thing to say, especially to those like us that have read every book in Woods' growing bibliography, including all the Stone Barrington series, is that this one is as predictably good as most of them. While sometimes our playboy sleuth's antics are just too good to be true, his friendly band of regulars - Dino, Elaine, Lance Cabot (CIA), ex- Arrington, and a new love interest, NY ADA Tiffany Baldwin - help conspire t
Mary
I remember why I don't read Stuart Woods. Stone Barrington has got to be the dumbest investigator ever. I had this pegged from the beginning, but just kept going because I had nothing else to listen to. The reader was good, but the characters certainly aren't the brightest lights on the law enforcement holiday tree...
Mick
It's another Stone Barrington novel. So I knew it would be fun to read and he didn't disappoint me. Here is a story where he gets the CIA, FBI and the NYPD involved (did I mention more sex). So as you might guess Stone winds up putting the bad guy away. You knew it was going to happen.

Here are a few of his more memorable lines.

"I'm afraid that if I breathe the air I might leave here as a tight-assed, right-wing, fundamentalist, anti-civil libertarian with a propensity for singing gospel music.
Sheila
This was my first Stuart Woods novel and I liked it a lot. Fast paced cops and robbers with some humor thrown in.
Trish (trishie7)
I've been reading them one after the other.. loving it!!!
John Koshak
Nancy
Frank Smith
Another great Stone Barrington story, sees favorite characters Lance Cabot and Arrington return and ends in dramatic style with the final scene seeing Arrington tell Stone the truth about her son Peter.
Peter also has a first introduction into the world and is both lovable and believable, the author possibly makes him seem a little too mature for a 5 year old, but I think this is a minor complaint.
Old favorites Deano, Elaine, Bill Eggers and June are of course in the story and make for another
Joe White
This was a typical Stone Barrington book. The action sequence in the last 100 pages was a little over the top for action, cop inter-agency slips, a too smart adversary with such well executed plans that the novel became almost like a Cussler superhero action sequence.

Tiffany as an Attorney general turning on Stone was not handled well. She was used as a 2d cardboard character to decorate the scenery and page fill up to the halfway point.

Stone as an action hero that ends up as the sole focal poin
Genie
Its a typical evening in New York and ex-detective-turned-lawyer Stone Barrington is enjoying a leisurely dinner with his best friend, police lieutenant Dino Bacchetti, in their favorite restaurant, Elaine's. Suddenly he is approached by the head of the law firm, Bill Eggers, and a new client, Billy Bob Barnstormer. Barnstormer has requested Stone by name. This loud, obnoxious Texan wants wants to keep Stone on retainer and offers him a $50,000 check on the spot. From the beginning Stone is skep ...more
Kirsten Keenan
Two Dollar Bill checks in at about a buck-ffity: a pleasant detective yarn that holds your attention, ups the stakes, and then delivers a fairly pat, boom-boom ending. You have to like Stone Barrington—the Roger Moore version of James Bond—but you wouldn't say the guy has much depth or grist. Woods compares favorably to Robert B. Parker, in that both authors carry the day with quick patter, but, Parker makes brevity an art form and Woods simply delivers easy reading and escape entertainment.
Katy
Stone Barrington is such a smuck...just ask his friend Dino, sometimes boss Bill, and Elaine the restauranteer.

Bill gives Stone a millionaire client, Billy Bob Barnstedder. (No kidding...even Stone found the name unrealistic.) Billy Bob is on a con, and he fools *and kills) a few people before Stone has had enough, quits being his lawyer, and then exposes him as a fraud. Now Billy Bob is really mad, and he intends to kill Stone.

This is an earlier Stone Barrington novel. And I still would like t
Judy-Sug
The Stone Barrington series is always fun. Barrington is a former cop now lawyer who generally finds himself in unusual circumstances. In this case, a supposedly client, Billy Bob Stormchaser, turns into a #1 con artist and arms seller. The NY police and CIA get involved. Of course, the good guy always wins but it is fun getting there.
lynn
Really enjoyed this fast-paced murder mystery. Main character Stone Barrington is an ex-cop attorney who manages to get a new client who is no end of trouble from the onset. Reminiscent of Robert Parker with a little more plot and detail. Same touches of humor and irony. Fun read!
Carol Ann
Stone Barrington is always fun for an outing--lots of New York color, a hero who isn't terribly bright and manages to get into a lot of scrapes as a result. How did a lifelong New Yorker, and a lawyer and ex-cop to boot, end up so dangerously naive?
Will
The Billy Bob Barnstormer affair. Stone is thrown a new client, Billy Bob, who's need for representation is confusing. Billy's oil tycoon visage evaporates once investigation begins and his numerous aliases become known. Billy is exacting revenge against Stone for a prison mate named Mitteldorfer who held a grudge over his incarceration. Billy Bob snatches Arrington and Peter to negotiate surrender with Stone, but is outfoxed in a helicopter and falls 1000 ft into the Hudson. Along the way, new ...more
Bettie
I enjoy the Stone Barrington mysteries, having read 2 now, but sometimes I wonder about his crazy love life. Maybe if/when I read more of them, I'll get it more. More graphic sexually than they need to be, as far as I'm concerned.
Michael
A fun and thrilling ride until halfway through when the body count undermines the lightness. This is the 11th of the series of 22 featuring Stone Barrington, a loveable scoundrel and a former cop turned NYC lawyer who never has much trouble finding trouble or romance. This time he cruises along romancing the new District Attorney and cavorting nightly at fancy Elaines until he takes on a new rich Texan client who proves to be more than just an outrageous con-man. The dangerous cascade that emerg ...more
Peter Charleston
Stuart Woods provides another thriller as Stone Barrington encounters a cunning individual with numerous identities. Continual action throughout the book provides an enjoyable reading adventure.
Sharon
Good story from beginning to end. It's really helpful to read the series in order, because there are some references to characters in other books that make more sense when you read them in order.
Jerry
I have read everyone of the Stone Barrington books up to this point in sequence. I have found them to be good reading. Plots are good, Mr Woods uses the consistant characters well,which make the books even better. I have found no dead spots in Mr. Woods writing and have really enjoyed the
series, to this point. I'm sure the rest will be just as interesting. I'm a 65 yr old retired male who has been reading detective and lawyer series for the past three years, ever since I found you can get books
Karen
I stopped reading Stone Barrington after the ridiculous and unsexy L. A. Dead, then gave him another try a year later with Dirty Work, which was more of the same. I stayed away almost two years this time. This book was still ridiculous, but with a wink, the author nearly comes right out and says he knows his plots are unbelievable. I've given up trying to remember Stone's history—romantic and otherwise—maybe that helps. (I'm pretty sure I've missed several books along the way.) This reader prono ...more
Sharples
Beach read. My first read from Stuart Woods. Low level crime investigation with sex.not really romance. Can finish in a night or two.
Kathy W
You know what you're getting when you read Stuart Woods - it's pure pulp fiction. Fun, light and not to be taken too seriously.
Ronn
Quick and easy, predictable but just engaging enough to want to finish reading. Like most of Woods' books, this would make a good book to read on a plane trip.
Vickie
Always enjoy Stuart Woods Stone Barrington books. He's written better than Two Dollar Bill but still enjoyable.
Howard Brittain
Another enjoyable romp through murder and women. A superior plot this time. Light entertaining reading.
Donna
This was one of the best I have read so far in this series. I really liked how all three series were connected, bringing Holly and Ed into the story.
Diane Wallace
Stone is the man!!! LOLOL...keep up the good job SW and keep these great books coming
Cheryl
In this novel, Stone Barrington keeps finding himself looking like a smuck. And his friends keep pointing out to him that he is a smuck. But what can you do when a prostitute is found dead in your guest room?

You want police action? You'll get it here. You want the FBI? You'll get that, too. The frosting on the cake - Lance and the CIA are back in action telling Stone what to do.

Fun and games over, a serious situation is ahead of him - kidnapping, scams, murder, another kidnapping, and a helicopt
  • Laugh Again
  • A Dangerous Man
  • The Weight Loss Cure "They" Don't Want You to Know About
  • Confessions of a Backup Dancer
  • Always A Lady
  • Lazarus
  • High Jinx: Blackford Oakes Mystery
  • Beyond Suspicion (Jack Swyteck, #2)
  • King And Maxwell (King & Maxwell): by David Baldacci -- Sidekick
  • Blue Screen (Sunny Randall, #5)
  • Wouldn't It Be Deadly (Eliza Doolittle & Henry Higgins Mystery, #1)
  • Sinners and Saints
  • Fugitive (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
  • The Best American Short Stories 2003
  • Damage Control (Joanna Brady, #13)
  • Double Take (FBI Thriller, #11)
  • Running from the Law
  • A Man Like Mac
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...

Stone Barrington (1 - 10 of 37 books)
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1)
  • Dirt (Stone Barrington, #2)
  • Dead in the Water (Stone Barrington, #3)
  • Swimming To Catalina (Stone Barrington, #4)
  • Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington, #5)
  • L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6)
  • Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #7)
  • The Short Forever (Stone Barrington, #8)
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • Reckless Abandon (Stone Barrington, #10 Holly Barker #4)
New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1) Blood Orchid (Holly Barker #3) Orchid Beach (Holly Barker, #1) L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6) Lucid Intervals (Stone Barrington, #18)