Start by marking “Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington, #11)” as Want to Read:
Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington, #11)

Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington #11)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,652 Ratings  ·  153 Reviews
Two-Dollar Bill delivers all the storytelling twists and whip-smart banter readers have come to love in Stuart Woods's thrillers, as suave Manhattan cop-turned-lawyer Stone Barrington is back on his home turf caught between a filthy rich conman-who's just become his client-and a beautiful prosecutor.
Published April 12th 2005 by Signet Book (first published October 10th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Two Dollar Bill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Dollar Bill

Jerry
Jul 05, 2010 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent enough Barrington, twisty suspense / entertainment!

Maybe the most obvious thing to say, especially to those like us that have read every book in Woods' growing bibliography, including all the Stone Barrington series, is that this one is as predictably good as most of them. While sometimes our playboy sleuth's antics are just too good to be true, his friendly band of regulars - Dino, Elaine, Lance Cabot (CIA), ex- Arrington, and a new love interest, NY ADA Tiffany Baldwin - help conspire t
Mike Tueros
It's like an itch I don't want to scratch, that I just can't help but doing so over and over again. The Stone Barrington series seems to get more and more ridiculous with every novel I read, and I find amusement in Woods' predictable style, and my latest discovery where he begins to use a new word for him, and then proceeds to do so repeatedly throughout. This novel's word was "thence", and it was honestly laughable where he found places to stick it in. That I haven't talked at all about the plo ...more
Mary
Jun 12, 2013 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I remember why I don't read Stuart Woods. Stone Barrington has got to be the dumbest investigator ever. I had this pegged from the beginning, but just kept going because I had nothing else to listen to. The reader was good, but the characters certainly aren't the brightest lights on the law enforcement holiday tree...
Mick
Oct 22, 2014 Mick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's another Stone Barrington novel. So I knew it would be fun to read and he didn't disappoint me. Here is a story where he gets the CIA, FBI and the NYPD involved (did I mention more sex). So as you might guess Stone winds up putting the bad guy away. You knew it was going to happen.

Here are a few of his more memorable lines.

"I'm afraid that if I breathe the air I might leave here as a tight-assed, right-wing, fundamentalist, anti-civil libertarian with a propensity for singing gospel music.
George
Dec 31, 2015 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
One of the better Stone Barrington books. #11 and four books are skipped in the audiobook series, causing the audio listner some questions like: "Where did THAT come from?" Also, in the narration, Dino changed to a geeky sound in my ears; didn't like it much as he sounded somewhat punky.. The book contains a couple of factual errors, but is otherwise intriguing, fast moving and entertaining. Our hero, Stone, gets woo'd by the US Attorney of Manhattan and then it turns quirky. when FBI and CIA in ...more
Sheila
Apr 02, 2011 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Stuart Woods novel and I liked it a lot. Fast paced cops and robbers with some humor thrown in.
Trish (trishie7)
I've been reading them one after the other.. loving it!!!
John
Nancy
Frank Smith
Jun 20, 2015 Frank Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Stone Barrington story, sees favorite characters Lance Cabot and Arrington return and ends in dramatic style with the final scene seeing Arrington tell Stone the truth about her son Peter.
Peter also has a first introduction into the world and is both lovable and believable, the author possibly makes him seem a little too mature for a 5 year old, but I think this is a minor complaint.
Old favorites Deano, Elaine, Bill Eggers and June are of course in the story and make for another
Joe White
May 18, 2010 Joe White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a typical Stone Barrington book. The action sequence in the last 100 pages was a little over the top for action, cop inter-agency slips, a too smart adversary with such well executed plans that the novel became almost like a Cussler superhero action sequence.

Tiffany as an Attorney general turning on Stone was not handled well. She was used as a 2d cardboard character to decorate the scenery and page fill up to the halfway point.

Stone as an action hero that ends up as the sole focal poin
Genie
Apr 10, 2009 Genie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its a typical evening in New York and ex-detective-turned-lawyer Stone Barrington is enjoying a leisurely dinner with his best friend, police lieutenant Dino Bacchetti, in their favorite restaurant, Elaine's. Suddenly he is approached by the head of the law firm, Bill Eggers, and a new client, Billy Bob Barnstormer. Barnstormer has requested Stone by name. This loud, obnoxious Texan wants wants to keep Stone on retainer and offers him a $50,000 check on the spot. From the beginning Stone is skep ...more
Kirsten Keenan
Two Dollar Bill checks in at about a buck-ffity: a pleasant detective yarn that holds your attention, ups the stakes, and then delivers a fairly pat, boom-boom ending. You have to like Stone Barrington—the Roger Moore version of James Bond—but you wouldn't say the guy has much depth or grist. Woods compares favorably to Robert B. Parker, in that both authors carry the day with quick patter, but, Parker makes brevity an art form and Woods simply delivers easy reading and escape entertainment.
Katy
Jun 06, 2014 Katy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stone Barrington is such a smuck...just ask his friend Dino, sometimes boss Bill, and Elaine the restauranteer.

Bill gives Stone a millionaire client, Billy Bob Barnstedder. (No kidding...even Stone found the name unrealistic.) Billy Bob is on a con, and he fools *and kills) a few people before Stone has had enough, quits being his lawyer, and then exposes him as a fraud. Now Billy Bob is really mad, and he intends to kill Stone.

This is an earlier Stone Barrington novel. And I still would like t
Richard
May 27, 2016 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having this book on my bookshelves gave me the inclination to re-read it to see if my opinion of the book has changed in the intervening years. Happy to say, it is still an enjoyable read. It has been long enough since I first read it that the details of the story did not come immediately to mind, and it was as if reading it for the first time. Perhaps I should do the same with other books in the series.
Judy-Sug
Sep 19, 2014 Judy-Sug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Stone Barrington series is always fun. Barrington is a former cop now lawyer who generally finds himself in unusual circumstances. In this case, a supposedly client, Billy Bob Stormchaser, turns into a #1 con artist and arms seller. The NY police and CIA get involved. Of course, the good guy always wins but it is fun getting there.
Ed
Aug 04, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, action, nyc
#11 in the Stone Barrington series.

Stone Barrington gets a client who seems to know everyone but turns out to be a con man out to get Stone. Stone meets and beds the new US Attorney; she, the CIA and NYPD are all after his new client. Arrington makes an appearance with her son and they come into danger.
Eddie
Jan 14, 2016 Eddie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I suffered through 59 charpters of three federal entities (The FBI,CIA & DOJ) along with Stone Barrington bumbling one attempt after another trying to capture a super criminal with a basketful of identities and when I finally finished it, decided this book merits no more than two stars.
lynn
Feb 11, 2014 lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this fast-paced murder mystery. Main character Stone Barrington is an ex-cop attorney who manages to get a new client who is no end of trouble from the onset. Reminiscent of Robert Parker with a little more plot and detail. Same touches of humor and irony. Fun read!
JacQuelyne
A Good Read

Book 11 of Stuart Woods Stone Barrington series. The usual
formulaic novel, but still it does catch your attention and you quickly find yourself enmeshed in a good detective story. A great read for the beach or your bathtub.
Carol Ann
Stone Barrington is always fun for an outing--lots of New York color, a hero who isn't terribly bright and manages to get into a lot of scrapes as a result. How did a lifelong New Yorker, and a lawyer and ex-cop to boot, end up so dangerously naive?
Will
Jun 09, 2013 Will rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Billy Bob Barnstormer affair. Stone is thrown a new client, Billy Bob, who's need for representation is confusing. Billy's oil tycoon visage evaporates once investigation begins and his numerous aliases become known. Billy is exacting revenge against Stone for a prison mate named Mitteldorfer who held a grudge over his incarceration. Billy Bob snatches Arrington and Peter to negotiate surrender with Stone, but is outfoxed in a helicopter and falls 1000 ft into the Hudson. Along the way, new ...more
Bettie
Jul 19, 2014 Bettie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the Stone Barrington mysteries, having read 2 now, but sometimes I wonder about his crazy love life. Maybe if/when I read more of them, I'll get it more. More graphic sexually than they need to be, as far as I'm concerned.
Steve
Mar 22, 2016 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3-22-2016 not so much a favorite anymore. The villain seems more outrageous than likable. I think my notes of Nov 2011 were the most spot on. I'm keeping at 4 stars - just barely.

6-20 2015 still a favorite
Nov 2013
7-20-2013 re-read it. I like y 2 year old notes. But it remains an engaging story, again.
nov 2011
People don't just pop out of no where. quite farfetched.
however remember ENRON, they popped out of nowhere and were the flavor of the month, including a hec-sure from "W:. Maybe its a texas
Michael
A fun and thrilling ride until halfway through when the body count undermines the lightness. This is the 11th of the series of 22 featuring Stone Barrington, a loveable scoundrel and a former cop turned NYC lawyer who never has much trouble finding trouble or romance. This time he cruises along romancing the new District Attorney and cavorting nightly at fancy Elaines until he takes on a new rich Texan client who proves to be more than just an outrageous con-man. The dangerous cascade that emerg ...more
Peter Charleston
Mar 06, 2014 Peter Charleston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stuart Woods provides another thriller as Stone Barrington encounters a cunning individual with numerous identities. Continual action throughout the book provides an enjoyable reading adventure.
Sharon
Jul 14, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story from beginning to end. It's really helpful to read the series in order, because there are some references to characters in other books that make more sense when you read them in order.
Wayne
Jan 24, 2016 Wayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Stuart Woods featuring one of his best characters, Stone Barrington. A fast paced read just like everything else written by Woods.
Jerry
Mar 22, 2012 Jerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read everyone of the Stone Barrington books up to this point in sequence. I have found them to be good reading. Plots are good, Mr Woods uses the consistant characters well,which make the books even better. I have found no dead spots in Mr. Woods writing and have really enjoyed the
series, to this point. I'm sure the rest will be just as interesting. I'm a 65 yr old retired male who has been reading detective and lawyer series for the past three years, ever since I found you can get books
Karen
I stopped reading Stone Barrington after the ridiculous and unsexy L. A. Dead, then gave him another try a year later with Dirty Work, which was more of the same. I stayed away almost two years this time. This book was still ridiculous, but with a wink, the author nearly comes right out and says he knows his plots are unbelievable. I've given up trying to remember Stone's history—romantic and otherwise—maybe that helps. (I'm pretty sure I've missed several books along the way.) This reader prono ...more
  • High Jinx: Blackford Oakes Mystery
  • Flashover (Georgia Skeehan, #2)
  • A Dangerous Man
  • Confessions of a Backup Dancer
  • Always A Lady
  • Lazarus
  • The Weight Loss Cure "They" Don't Want You to Know About
  • Laugh Again
  • Case of Lies (Nina Reilly #11)
  • Blue Screen (Sunny Randall, #5)
  • Alice In Jeopardy
  • The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10)
  • Enemy Within (Butch Karp, #13)
  • A Man Like Mac
  • Devil's Corner
  • The Associate
  • Trader Of Secrets (Paul Madriani, #12)
  • The Right Jack (Sigrid Harald, #4)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...

Stone Barrington (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1)
  • Dirt (Stone Barrington, #2)
  • Dead in the Water (Stone Barrington, #3)
  • Swimming To Catalina (Stone Barrington, #4)
  • Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington, #5)
  • L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6)
  • Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #7)
  • The Short Forever (Stone Barrington, #8)
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • Reckless Abandon (Stone Barrington, #10 Holly Barker #4)