Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington, #11)

Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington #11)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  3,346 ratings  ·  106 reviews
Two-Dollar Bill delivers all the storytelling twists and whip-smart banter readers have come to love in Stuart Woods's thrillers, as suave Manhattan cop-turned-lawyer Stone Barrington is back on his home turf caught between a filthy rich conman-who's just become his client-and a beautiful prosecutor.
Published April 12th 2005 by Signet Book (first published April 1st 2005)

Jerry
Decent enough Barrington, twisty suspense / entertainment!

Maybe the most obvious thing to say, especially to those like us that have read every book in Woods' growing bibliography, including all the Stone Barrington series, is that this one is as predictably good as most of them. While sometimes our playboy sleuth's antics are just too good to be true, his friendly band of regulars - Dino, Elaine, Lance Cabot (CIA), ex- Arrington, and a new love interest, NY ADA Tiffany Baldwin - help conspire t...more
Sheila
This was my first Stuart Woods novel and I liked it a lot. Fast paced cops and robbers with some humor thrown in.
Joe White
This was a typical Stone Barrington book. The action sequence in the last 100 pages was a little over the top for action, cop inter-agency slips, a too smart adversary with such well executed plans that the novel became almost like a Cussler superhero action sequence.

Tiffany as an Attorney general turning on Stone was not handled well. She was used as a 2d cardboard character to decorate the scenery and page fill up to the halfway point.

Stone as an action hero that ends up as the sole focal poin...more
Genie
Its a typical evening in New York and ex-detective-turned-lawyer Stone Barrington is enjoying a leisurely dinner with his best friend, police lieutenant Dino Bacchetti, in their favorite restaurant, Elaine's. Suddenly he is approached by the head of the law firm, Bill Eggers, and a new client, Billy Bob Barnstormer. Barnstormer has requested Stone by name. This loud, obnoxious Texan wants wants to keep Stone on retainer and offers him a $50,000 check on the spot. From the beginning Stone is skep...more
lynn
Really enjoyed this fast-paced murder mystery. Main character Stone Barrington is an ex-cop attorney who manages to get a new client who is no end of trouble from the onset. Reminiscent of Robert Parker with a little more plot and detail. Same touches of humor and irony. Fun read!
Carol Ann
Stone Barrington is always fun for an outing--lots of New York color, a hero who isn't terribly bright and manages to get into a lot of scrapes as a result. How did a lifelong New Yorker, and a lawyer and ex-cop to boot, end up so dangerously naive?
Will
The Billy Bob Barnstormer affair. Stone is thrown a new client, Billy Bob, who's need for representation is confusing. Billy's oil tycoon visage evaporates once investigation begins and his numerous aliases become known. Billy is exacting revenge against Stone for a prison mate named Mitteldorfer who held a grudge over his incarceration. Billy Bob snatches Arrington and Peter to negotiate surrender with Stone, but is outfoxed in a helicopter and falls 1000 ft into the Hudson. Along the way, new...more
Michael
A fun and thrilling ride until halfway through when the body count undermines the lightness. This is the 11th of the series of 22 featuring Stone Barrington, a loveable scoundrel and a former cop turned NYC lawyer who never has much trouble finding trouble or romance. This time he cruises along romancing the new District Attorney and cavorting nightly at fancy Elaine�s until he takes on a new rich Texan client who proves to be more than just an outrageous con-man. The dangerous cascade that emer...more
Peter Charleston
Stuart Woods provides another thriller as Stone Barrington encounters a cunning individual with numerous identities. Continual action throughout the book provides an enjoyable reading adventure.
Jerry
I have read everyone of the Stone Barrington books up to this point in sequence. I have found them to be good reading. Plots are good, Mr Woods uses the consistant characters well,which make the books even better. I have found no dead spots in Mr. Woods writing and have really enjoyed the
series, to this point. I'm sure the rest will be just as interesting. I'm a 65 yr old retired male who has been reading detective and lawyer series for the past three years, ever since I found you can get books...more
Karen
I stopped reading Stone Barrington after the ridiculous and unsexy L. A. Dead, then gave him another try a year later with Dirty Work, which was more of the same. I stayed away almost two years this time. This book was still ridiculous, but with a wink, the author nearly comes right out and says he knows his plots are unbelievable. I've given up trying to remember Stone's history—romantic and otherwise—maybe that helps. (I'm pretty sure I've missed several books along the way.) This reader prono...more
Cheryl
In this novel, Stone Barrington keeps finding himself looking like a smuck. And his friends keep pointing out to him that he is a smuck. But what can you do when a prostitute is found dead in your guest room?

You want police action? You'll get it here. You want the FBI? You'll get that, too. The frosting on the cake - Lance and the CIA are back in action telling Stone what to do.

Fun and games over, a serious situation is ahead of him - kidnapping, scams, murder, another kidnapping, and a helicopt...more
David
I enjoy Stuart Woods and Stone Barrington and Elaines and Dino etc. This is another good offering. It does have the answer to an old question at the end. Enjoy.
Paul
Another Stone Barrington novel. A bit too improbable from time to time. "Amazing if true" came to mind a bit too often. Yet, I was carried along by the flow of the narrative and the interesting characters, never once considered aborting the mission.

Those requiring a change of scene for dialogue would be driven nuts. There must have been a couple of dozen dinners at Elaine's in NYC. Elaine herself briefly joined them occasionally for a few moments, acerbically exercising her owner's prerogative o...more
Dr. Thomas Wasser
This was one of the better Stone Barrington novels in my opinion. After I read the first two chapters or so I thought I was in trouble because Stuart tries to bring alive a character from Texas by using typical and somewhat annoying dialouge as to what he thinks Texans think and do and it was a failure. However, the book quickly moves past that and evolves into one of the better stories. Again, it is not a deep read but rather a beach, or airplane read where you can enjoy and pass it on to someo...more
Chris
If you want serious deep plot, go somewhere else. If you're okay with, or even enthralled with, a few quite descriptive sexual scenes and some fun dialogue then go ahead and enjoy. Entertainment is the name of the game and every time I pick up a Stuart Woods book I am entertained. My wife won't read him because of his uppity disclaimer at the end of each book - don't call me, don't write me, you can send me an email but I probably won't reply. I am able to not let that bother me and enjoy the bo...more
Greer Andjanetta
Another very readable and enjoyable book in the Stone Barrington series about a likeable con man who turns murderous.
Karen
I've always found Stuart Woods books to be highly entertaining and easy, quick reads. I picked this one up on a night when it was pouring rain outside and cold. So I got all cozy and warm in my chair and just enjoyed it. Revisiting Stone Barrington, his sidekick Dino, restauranteur Elaine, and on again/off again lover Arrington is like running into old friends. This book isn't going to change my life, but it definitely gave me a good laugh and a few hours of escape. Thanks Stuart!!!
Steve
7-20-2013 re-read it. I like y 2 year old notes. But it remains an engaging story, again.

nov 2011
People don't ust pop out of no where.
quite farfetched.
however remember ENRON, they popped out of nowhere and were the flavor of the month, including a hec-sure from "W:.
Maybe its a texas BS thing.
i still liked reading the story.

Stone Barrington, is facing down a brilliant Southern flimflam man. , smooth-talkin' Texan, who strolls in with the head of Stone's law firm
Marti
As usual, this was an enjoyable read. I know that there are some women who would consider Stone Barrington to be a pig--the way that he treats women. He is rather promiscuous but somewhat likeable. Arrington Calder reappears in this book, after he has begun a liaison with Tiffany Williams, the US Attorney for New York. Two Dollar Bill is the nickname given to a dangerous con man who puts everyone at risk. He is an interesting, though lethal characer.
Gramy
Stone Barrington and his ex-detective partner, Dino, continue to dine at Elaine's restaurant for dinners. Stone is hired by a quacky new character, Billy Bob Barnstormer, who pulls the wool over his eyes and deceives him. Stone becomes sexually involved with a States Attorney, Tiffany Baldwin, and one of their sexual interludes is broadcast on the internet for all to see. It's a fast-paced, easy to read book.
Skip
While dining in Elaine's, W&W partner Eggers introduces a new client, Bill Barnstormer, who promptly proceeds to accidentally kill a prostitute while staying at Stone's townhouse. Turns out that Bill is major con artist, with a jailhouse agenda to kill Stone. Meanwhile, Stone gets romantically involved with the new DA in NY, and then matters get very confusing when Arrington shows up with her son.
Mary
I remember why I don't read Stuart Woods. Stone Barrington has got to be the dumbest investigator ever. I had this pegged from the beginning, but just kept going because I had nothing else to listen to. The reader was good, but the characters certainly aren't the brightest lights on the law enforcement holiday tree...
Anne
This book won't win any awards but was a quick and easy read. I actually laughed out loud many times. Someone had given the book to me and I was (gasp) out of a book to read so I gave it a shot. This was my first Stone Barrington book (Stuart Woods also) and I enjoyed it!
Holly Pickering
The Stone Barrington series is so fun to read. I picture Stone as a modern day Paul Newman. It's a little sex, a little mystery, and a lot of fun. I've read several in the series. I like the author's style of writing....not too much description, but a lot of dialogue.
Dalton
This is the Stuart Woods novel that got me addicted to his style of suspenseful writing. He keeps you enthralled and on the edge of your seat. Some times a bit predictable...so you think, then he throws you a curve ball. Something he does in may of his novels - which I love!
Kay
Fun Stone Barrington story.
Leah
Ok...So I lost another damn book! I keep setting them down and when I get up I take my purse and leave my books on the bench! I only had 10-20 pages left to read of this one...dammit! Guess I will have to go to the library to finish reading it:)
Karla
This was my second Stuart Woods novel. The first, Dark Harbor, I was not impressed with the writing style at first. The character grew on me tho and I enjoyed this next Stone Barrington novel much better and will look forward to another.
Elisabeth
This mystery has a touch of thriller in it as well. I enjoyed it, but it touched on a few themes (violence and overt sexuality) that would probably unsettle me if I read more Stone Barrington novels, so in all likelihood I won't.
  • The Associate
  • More Natural Cures Revealed
  • Hollywood Tough (Shane Scully, #3)
  • McNally's Folly
  • Devil's Corner
  • Beyond Suspicion (Jack Swyteck, #2)
  • Dead Watch
  • Outlaw Mountain (Joanna Brady, #7)
  • Blue Screen (Sunny Randall, #5)
  • A Dangerous Man
  • The Best American Short Stories 2003
  • Double Cross (Alex Cross, #13)
  • The Cowboy (Ladies and Legends, #3)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...
New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1) Blood Orchid (Holly Barker #3) Orchid Beach (Holly Barker, #1) L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6) Lucid Intervals (Stone Barrington, #18)