Start by marking “Suddenly We Didn't Want to Die: Memoirs of a World War I Marine” as Want to Read:
Suddenly We Didn't Want to Die: Memoirs of a World War I Marine

Suddenly We Didn't Want to Die: Memoirs of a World War I Marine

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Mackin's memoirs are a haunting portrayal of war in the tradition of All Quiet on the Western Front.
Published November 1st 1993 by Presidio Press

To ask other readers questions about Suddenly We Didn't Want to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suddenly We Didn't Want to Die

The Trigger by Tim ButcherThe Guns of August by Barbara W. TuchmanThe Price of Glory by Alistair HorneDreadnought by Robert K. MassieAll Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
Military History of the First World War
59th out of 158 books — 64 voters
The Trigger by Tim ButcherAll Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueBirdsong by Sebastian FaulksThe Guns of August by Barbara W. TuchmanRegeneration by Pat Barker
WW I books
93rd out of 135 books — 90 voters

More lists with this book...

Tj Long
Suddenly We Didn't Want to Die
By Elton Mackin
Review By TJ Long
A3 English

I read "Suddenly We Didn't Want to Die" by Elton Mackin. The narrative is about a marine who faught in WWI and wrote about his first hand experiences in battles and everyday life while being at war. I think the authors purpose was to show how you face the thrill and terror during war and dealing with the awe of seeing men die next to you in battle.

I think the theme of this book is how men accommodate themselves to the terrif
Mark Mortensen
Mackin’s first hand account of his thoughts and adventures during WWI in the Marine Corps are very enlightening and historic to all. My grandfather, the patriarch of my family whom I knew very well, served alongside Mackin within the glorious 1st Battalion 5th Regiment. The Marines, who bonded closely together for a common purpose were labeled as “Devil Dogs” and known to be proud members of the “Old Breed”.
Nick
The author’s purpose of writing this book was that it was his diary of World War I and that if you push on that you can defeat almost any enemy of your life. He has not written any other books. In this book he has been put in to the battlefield in World War I. The battlefield that he is put in is in Germany. He is forced to be put through training to be combat ready, he has to deal with mean people on the front lines, he is fighting for his life, and he is worrying about his family at home. The ...more
Miguel Bohrer

SUDDENLY WE DIDN'T WANT TO DIE
BY: Elton E. Mackin

What's the authors purpose of writing this book? The author's purpose of writing this book is to inform the reader of what his experiences were like during WW1.I believe the author wants you to understand the great sacrifices made during the war and how scared they were but could not show it. I think that the title " SUDDENLY WE DIDN'T WANT TO DIE" supports my opinion.
This book follows a young Marine named Elton E. Mackin who has just joined
Trevor Stone
I think that the authors purpose of writing this book was to show his experiences during the first World War. Suddenly We Didn't Want To Die was written by Elton E. Mackin talking about his war experiences during World War 1. Elton was apart of the Marine Corps and was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment. I believe the authors purpose was to inform the reader about how hard it was to learn to act like a man and not show weakness at a young age during the war. The author wrote abou ...more
Kathy
About a page, no maybe a paragraph, about WWI was all the coverage alloted in history class. Such a difficult war. Tanks were on the drawing board. The only way to advance the army was to charge through the grenades and machine guns. Otherwise, dig trenches and hold out. The author gives a fascinating picture of what fighting was like and how the young soldiers confronted fear.
Steve
A very good first person reflection of the closing day of the war by a young Marine. His account and reflections of the terrible conditions, desire to do his duty without "getting killed for nothing" with an end in view, truly helps one in sympathizing for those that fight what the politicians start.
Homerun2
Timeless story of a young man in a time of war, in this case the slaughter of World War One. This memoir is an articulate and poignant look at the author's service during some of the fiercest fighting of 1918: the battles of Belleau Wood and the Meuse-Argonne. A powerful book.
Jan
An absolutely stunning, beautiful, and moving memoir of WWI. If you like memoirs, or war books, or both, then you definitely need to read this book.
Lisa
Fascinating accounts of a young man's experiences at the tail end of the war. Felt like I was there as he described what he went through.
Jay Murphy
Jay Murphy marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Lakonia
Lakonia marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Rocelio Romulo
Rocelio Romulo marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
فـيّ  أحمد
فـيّ أحمد marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Kari
Kari marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014