Start by marking “Generation Earn: The Young Professional's Guide to Spending, Investing, and Giving Back” as Want to Read:

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  12 reviews
As a young professional today, you are part of a generation with greater earning power and more advanced degrees than preceding ones—along with a fresh, holistic outlook on financial success. Yes, you might have taken out more debt than previous generations, but that doesn’t mean you’re a slacker living off credit cards and takeout as media pundits would have people believ ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Generation Earn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Generation Earn

Karen
For me, this book hit the nail on the head. Right book at the right time. As a less than financially-savvy young professional, I was looking for something to explain things to me in a language that I could understand. From her references about young professionals working in D.C. to the current economic crisis, I found Palmer's book to really resonate with my particular situation. Highly recommend this to friends, particularly young females who aren't in love with the idea of personal finance boo ...more
AJ
I was hoping to learn a bit more about investing, and other than the old standard of "keep your portfolio diversified," there was nothing new about that in here. Not even how to chose a broker, to do it online or to hire a financial adviser, how to buy bonds, etc.

Otherwise this is your standard how to save and spend when you're a privileged, upper-middle-class yuppie book. The young professionals in this book have million dollar work from home businesses, law jobs, huge houses, and big aspiratio
Christina
I think literacy and strategy around personal finance is good to learn and think about, at least a couple times a year, yet my feeling is that there's a lack of access to information that spells it out in clear, easy to understand terms. This book is probably not for someone who already has a depth of knowledge about retirement funds, different savings accounts, and rules of thumb on how to save, pay down debt and invest. But for a certain age and income bracket -- MINE -- I found it to be a mus ...more
Cheryl Yeung
honestly, I thought it was a good read. I took some notes and learned a lot of things about budgeting and credit and mortgages that I didn't know before. However, I felt like this book promised a lot more, and while I was going through it, I did find that the book had a lot of holes, and that I had a lot of unanswered questions. I was expecting a lot more detail than I was given.
Joyce Chen
Best financial planning book for millennials.
Liz De Coster
A quick, but useful, read. Palmer focuses on general recommendations rather than specific advice, which means the information can be adapted for a variety of circumstances. I especially appreciated the advice for people interested in making charitable contributions, and the estimates she provides for the financial considerations involved with having children. Although the latter isn't on my immediate agenda, it's good to have information before making those sorts of decisions.
Lisbet
Good, not great. The author almost lost me completely when she insisted in the second chapter that everyone needs to have a second job/income no matter how busy your first job. Yes, I understand this book is advice on making the most of (and more of)your money, but she was almost shrill in her insistence that one job just isn't enough. Other than that, some sound advice on making budgets, investing carefully, preparing for life events etc.
Vickie
This book wasn't terrible but it wasn't great either. It contains a lot of information on general finances but I felt like it was almost too basic. I felt like a lot of it was common sense or that I had heard it before, however, if someone was very new to the world of personal finance I guess this could be helpful. I did feel like the author tried to make the information relavant to this generation so I think that is a good thing.
Brian
Nov 24, 2010 Brian rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I didn't really think too much of this book, honestly. There may be some stuff in there that people unlike myself would find useful, but I really felt like I had read most of it elsewhere. And all the "quick tips" scattered throughout every single page really got to me. So ADD! I guess I'm just barely too old to be in this book's target demographic.
Marie Corbitt
This had some helpful financial hints for those in their twenties and thirties. I'm just learning all of this stuff, so it was nice to get a general overview of what I should be doing. A lot of it I already was, but there's good info in here on how best to be green with your money and also how to be a smart philanthropist. A good guide.
Ali
A good guide on all things money (budgets, investments, living with your parents, getting married and figuring out financial agreements) for young people. Definitely helpful to peruse, if you're at all worried about how to manage your dough.
Nathan
Informative and cheerfully written, with lots of good ideas, some of which you may already know, but it never hurts to get a reminder. Plus, Kim's a great interview.
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Maitri
Maitri added it
May 20, 2015
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
elin
elin marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Tricia Rosetty
Tricia Rosetty marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Matias Ferradas
Matias Ferradas marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Dani Garciacaro
Dani Garciacaro marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Angel Reyes
Angel Reyes marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Melissa Malone
Melissa Malone marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
  • Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success
  • Get a Financial Life: Personal Finance in Your Twenties and Thirties
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning
  • Why Smart Executives Fail: And What You Can Learn from Their Mistakes
  • The 5 Patterns of Extraordinary Careers : The Guide for Achieving Success and Satisfaction (Crown Business Briefings)
  • We First: How Brands and Consumers Use Social Media to Build a Better World
  • The Investment Answer
  • It's Always Personal: Navigating Emotion in the New Workplace
  • The Behavior Gap: Simple Ways to Stop Doing Dumb Things with Money
  • Enough.: True Measures of Money, Business, and Life
  • Secrets of Six-Figure Women: Surprising Strategies to Up Your Earnings and Change Your Life
  • End of The Good Life: How the Financial Crisis Threatens a Lost Generation--And What We Can Do about It
  • Forces for Good: The Six Practices of High Impact Nonprofits (J-B US non-Franchise Leadership)
The Economy of You: Discover Your Inner Entrepreneur and Recession-Proof Your Life Not A Geisha:  Being Young And Female In Japan How to Live to 100: Be Healthy, Be Happy, and Afford It