Start by marking “Farewell, Jackie: A Portrait of Her Final Days” as Want to Read:
Farewell, Jackie: A Portrait of Her Final Days

Farewell, Jackie: A Portrait of Her Final Days

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  141 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
When she fell ill with cancer, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis faced death as she faced life— with all the bravery and grace of a woman who had long inspired the nation.

In Farewell, Jackie, bestselling author Edward Klein—who knew Jackie for more than a dozen years—explores the eventful last six months of her exceptional life. From the moment she was diagnosed with non-Hodgki

Published April 12th 2004 by Viking Adult (first published January 7th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Farewell, Jackie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farewell, Jackie

Donna Barnes
This was a quick read about a subject matter I knew very little about ---- the final days of Jackie Kennedy. The book does what it promises and takes her from the horse accident in November 1993 which gave the doctors reasons to check out her health and diagnose her with non-Hodgkins disease, until her death May 19. It does give a few details on her private funeral service, as well. No big surprises here, except a couple of comments on some trysts she had while she was in the white house, and a ...more
Rachel Swords
Apr 23, 2013 Rachel Swords rated it it was ok
I was little when Jackie died, so I only remember a small amount of the media frenzy that was outside her apartment. Jackie Kennedy is one of my heroes, so along with the fact I didn't know much about her death, of course I read this book. And while it was insightful to what kind of woman she was in her later years, I felt dirty reading it. Jackie Kennedy managed to remain private whilst in the public eye, so for the book to say how she felt, and what she was thinking, just seemed wrong. But the ...more
Sherry
Mar 05, 2016 Sherry rated it liked it
Read for March Book Group- Biographies
Interesting fast, read covering Jackie's life from her hunting fall to her death of an aggressive form of anaplastic non-Hodgekin's lymphomia. But Jackie was all about privacy, and control, and she orchestrated her own treatment and the way in which she wanted to go out of this world, privately and at home. Her closest friends said their goodbyes and then just her fchildren, Caroline and John, Maurice Tempelsman, and Bunny Mellon were at her side in her fina
Erin
Mar 12, 2011 Erin rated it it was ok
Based on the Foreward and the Notes, it appears that Klein attempted to capitalize on the tenth anniversary of Jackie's death by publishing this book which appears to be a slim compilation of excerpts from his own and other's previously published works. I hadn't read most of those, so it was new to me, but anyone who reads a lot about JBKO (I like that) won't find anything new here.
Suzette
Jun 04, 2013 Suzette rated it liked it
Rather a gossipy book, but I haven't read that sort of thing for years. I always was fascinated by Jackie, and so when a "Time" magazine from 1994 with her on the cover surfaced in my house recently, I read it and then got interested in reading more. Enough gossip now!
Soozblooz
Apr 26, 2015 Soozblooz rated it did not like it
I actually almost bumped into Ms. Onassis as she ran from Doubleday to a waiting yellow cab. I mention this because that's about as much interaction as Mr. Klein seems to have had with her, even though he says they knew each other twelve years. Odd. He never says he telephoned her, never says they met. He didn't go to her funeral, nor did he stand outside the church.

A profusion of end notes make it abundantly clear (too late) that this is an intellectually lazy book that cribs almost all of its
Mark Gaulding
Dec 27, 2008 Mark Gaulding rated it really liked it
I sobbed my way through this book. For me, part of the world died when Jackie O left us (same as Princess Diana). A friend, knowing my perspective, insisted I read this book. Klein is a great writer and the dignity of Jackie's final days is moving.
Teresa
Jan 24, 2016 Teresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, 2016
I have already read quite a few books about this intriguing woman so this just added to what I already knew. If this is the only book you have ever read about her I think you would be disappointed in the amount of information it provides.
Lois Ferrara
Jul 30, 2015 Lois Ferrara rated it really liked it
Quick read. Enjoyable & gave a good glimpse into who she was.
Cierra
May 02, 2016 Cierra rated it it was amazing
I finished this book in a day, not only because it's a fairly quick read, with about 200 pages, but because I love reading about Jackie and the aspects of her life. I enjoy books like this that aren't necessarily gossipy or salacious and I recommend it to those who share an interest in Jacqueline Kennedy's life and who want to gain more insight into the beauty of her final days.
Nancy
Jan 10, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it
Read this in a day - like the Diana obsession, we love to know about the "real Jackie." This gave the chronology of her last 6 months, from the time she was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma to her death, plus a lot of background material that anyone who had not followed her life closely would not have known. A good read.
Lise
Jun 10, 2013 Lise rated it it was ok
Nothing new here. The author tries to promote his cred by stating in the foreword that he actually HAD DINNER once with JBKO. I think that meant that he was at a dinner and she was also at the dinner .... reads like an extended Vanity Fair profile ... minus the pics.
Mary
Oct 20, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing
Account of the last 6 months of Jackie Kennedy's life as she battles non-Hodgkin's lymphoma with flashbacks and pictures of her life, her hopes, and her accomplishments. Pretty interesting.
Shannon
May 28, 2015 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a good book but I am not sure how accurate it is in the details..seems like he just compiled info from other sources. I think he is trying to oversell whatever relationship he had with her.
Kimberly
Sep 28, 2011 Kimberly rated it really liked it
This was a brief encounter with the life of Jackie Kennedy Onassis before her death in May 20, 1994. She was like royality, well liked and she had class. I loved reading about her.
Cynthia Kane
Sep 14, 2012 Cynthia Kane rated it it was ok
oh I will gobble up anything re: JBKO - and this was obviously written by a close friend - not a great book or particularly well-written, but a fast read and great to go to sleep by -
Suzanne
Apr 21, 2010 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kennedys
A touching look at Jackie, the person--as opposed to Jackie, the icon--leading up to the end of her life. Beautiful.
Erin
Jan 20, 2013 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book in a different perspective of Jackie. Finished in a couple of hours as I didn't want to put it down
Gail
Jul 25, 2012 Gail rated it it was ok
Nothing much new here. A few things but an awful lot of rehashing old info.
Tama Fontes
Apr 28, 2008 Tama Fontes rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book.
Gayle
Aug 01, 2011 Gayle rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book
claire smith
claire smith rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Cindy Ipuz
Cindy Ipuz marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Sandy Yearout
Sandy Yearout rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Carmen
Carmen added it
Mar 28, 2016
Linda Peterson
Linda Peterson marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Jeramy Spicer
Jeramy Spicer marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Dianne Smith
Dianne Smith rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
Brigitte Gaingos
Brigitte Gaingos marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
  • What Jackie Taught Us: Lessons from the Remarkable Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
  • The Day John Died
  • Reflections: Life After the White House
  • American Son: A Portrait of John F. Kennedy, Jr.
  • My Turn: The Memoirs of Nancy Reagan
  • A Woman Named Jackie: An Intimate Biography of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis
  • Jacqueline Kennedy, The White House Years: Selections from the John F. Kennedy Library & Museum
  • The Best Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis
  • Jackie, Ethel, Joan: Women of Camelot
  • What Would Jackie Do?: An Inspired Guide to Distinctive Living
  • Jackie as Editor: The Literary Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
  • The King and the Cowboy: Theodore Roosevelt and Edward the Seventh, Secret Partners
  • One Special Summer
  • Jackie Under My Skin: Interpreting an Icon
  • The Other Mrs. Kennedy: An intimate and revealing look at the hidden life of Ethel Skakel Kennedy
  • Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis: A Life