Start by marking “Farewell, Jackie: A Portrait of Her Final Days” as Want to Read:
Farewell, Jackie: A Portrait of Her Final Days

Farewell, Jackie: A Portrait of Her Final Days

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  16 reviews
When she fell ill with cancer, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis faced death as she faced life— with all the bravery and grace of a woman who had long inspired the nation.

In Farewell, Jackie, bestselling author Edward Klein—who knew Jackie for more than a dozen years—explores the eventful last six months of her exceptional life. From the moment she was diagnosed with non-Hodgki

Published April 12th 2004 by Viking Adult (first published January 7th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Farewell, Jackie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farewell, Jackie

Rachel Swords
I was little when Jackie died, so I only remember a small amount of the media frenzy that was outside her apartment. Jackie Kennedy is one of my heroes, so along with the fact I didn't know much about her death, of course I read this book. And while it was insightful to what kind of woman she was in her later years, I felt dirty reading it. Jackie Kennedy managed to remain private whilst in the public eye, so for the book to say how she felt, and what she was thinking, just seemed wrong. But the...more
Erin
Based on the Foreward and the Notes, it appears that Klein attempted to capitalize on the tenth anniversary of Jackie's death by publishing this book which appears to be a slim compilation of excerpts from his own and other's previously published works. I hadn't read most of those, so it was new to me, but anyone who reads a lot about JBKO (I like that) won't find anything new here.
Suzette
Rather a gossipy book, but I haven't read that sort of thing for years. I always was fascinated by Jackie, and so when a "Time" magazine from 1994 with her on the cover surfaced in my house recently, I read it and then got interested in reading more. Enough gossip now!
Mark Gaulding
I sobbed my way through this book. For me, part of the world died when Jackie O left us (same as Princess Diana). A friend, knowing my perspective, insisted I read this book. Klein is a great writer and the dignity of Jackie's final days is moving.
Donna Barnes
This was a quick read about a subject matter I knew very little about ---- the final days of Jackie Kennedy. The book does what it promises and takes her from the horse accident in November 1993 which gave the doctors reasons to check out her health and diagnose her with non-Hodgkins disease, until her death May 19. It does give a few details on her private funeral service, as well. No big surprises here, except a couple of comments on some trysts she had while she was in the white house, and a...more
Nancy
Read this in a day - like the Diana obsession, we love to know about the "real Jackie." This gave the chronology of her last 6 months, from the time she was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma to her death, plus a lot of background material that anyone who had not followed her life closely would not have known. A good read.
Lise
Nothing new here. The author tries to promote his cred by stating in the foreword that he actually HAD DINNER once with JBKO. I think that meant that he was at a dinner and she was also at the dinner .... reads like an extended Vanity Fair profile ... minus the pics.
Mary
Apr 16, 2009 Mary added it
Account of the last 6 months of Jackie Kennedy's life as she battles non-Hodgkin's lymphoma with flashbacks and pictures of her life, her hopes, and her accomplishments. Pretty interesting.
Shannon
This was a good book but I am not sure how accurate it is in the details..seems like he just compiled info from other sources. I think he is trying to oversell whatever relationship he had with her.
Kimberly
This was a brief encounter with the life of Jackie Kennedy Onassis before her death in May 20, 1994. She was like royality, well liked and she had class. I loved reading about her.
Cynthia Kane
oh I will gobble up anything re: JBKO - and this was obviously written by a close friend - not a great book or particularly well-written, but a fast read and great to go to sleep by -
Suzanne
A touching look at Jackie, the person--as opposed to Jackie, the icon--leading up to the end of her life. Beautiful.
Erin
Good book in a different perspective of Jackie. Finished in a couple of hours as I didn't want to put it down
Gail
Nothing much new here. A few things but an awful lot of rehashing old info.
Tama Fontes
I enjoyed this book.
Gayle
A beautiful book
G
G added it
Sep 06, 2014
Fran
Fran marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Karmni
Karmni marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Cierra
Cierra marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Amateur The Kennedy Curse: Why Tragedy Has Haunted America's First Family for 150 Years Blood Feud: The Clintons vs. the Obamas All Too Human the Love Story of Jack and Jackie Kennedy The Truth About Hillary: What She Knew, When She Knew It, and How Far She'll Go to Become President