Start by marking “In November” as Want to Read:
In November

In November

In November, the air grows cold and the earth and all of its creatures prepare for winter. Animals seek food and shelter. And people gather together to celebrate their blessings with family and friends.
Cynthia Rylant's lyrical language and Jill Kastner's rich, cozy paintings capture the cherished moments of this autumn month--the moments we spend together and the ones we
Published September 15th 2000 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about In November, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In November

jenee tuggle
) Text-to Teaching Connection: What is a response activity that you can do in a classroom with children in response to the book? (e.g. drama, music, art, or writing)

I love reading this book to introduce the month of November. I love the pictures and examples they use in this book. First I would ask the children ,"what are some of the things they do in November". ? " what are you thankful for" ?, What is your favorite thing to eat on Thanksgiving.? The children would make a wreath out of leaves
Heidi
Oct 27, 2010 Heidi rated it really liked it
Shelves: spike
Wonderful illustrations. It really captures the feel of this time of year. The illustration on the final page leaves you quiet and still as you recall the feeling of driving home on a cold, clear night after a day of feasting with loved ones.
Kathryn
Pleasant enough text, a bit poetic--very short. Artwork didn't really connect with me--a bit too abstract (the cover art is a bit misleading).
Maria Thompson
Awards: None

Grade Level: Prekindergarten-1st

Summary:
Nature changes when it is November in the northeastern part of the United States. The fall season brings cooler temperatures, leaves change colors, and the ground gets harder. Most importantly, you can see many different animals begin to gather food and make homes all in preparation for the winter months to come.

Review:
The illustrator did a beautiful job using the typical fall colors of the season to paint the animals and trees. It seemed lik
Zhānlìyàn Liú
Title: In November
Author: Cynthia Rylant
Illustrator: Kill Kastner
Genre: Concept book
Theme(s): Seasons, November, togetherness, Fall, nature, family
Opening line/sentence: In November, the earth is growing quiet.
Brief Book Summary: This book describes the nature around the time of November, and the weather during this time. This book also mentions family, food, and traditions celebrated throughout November.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1: Hornbook- Rylant, Cynthia In November
32 pp. Harcourt
Heidi-Marie
Oh. I had expected more of a story than a nostalgic look (and explanation) of what comes in November. I love November--and I'm seeing many of the things referred to going on around me now. (And the food part--amen!) But I wasn't impressed with the text overall. I liked the illustrations. But this is certainly a lap-read. I have no idea how to read this for a storytime of any age. Unless for PJ storytime when I like to get a calmer one here or there. Hmmm.... I'll consider.

11/29/10 I was worried
Margaret Chind
May 16, 2012 Margaret Chind rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press Junior Kindergarten
Obviously we're running a bit behind in our weeks as today's read was In November and we're a few days into December. *sigh* November has always been a favorite month for me for so many reasons. It is my favorite season of the year with all the beauty of the colors and leaves and changes. The temperatures outside are wonderful to enjoy as well. It is also a time of gathering with family and friends and then of course there is my birthday. With all of that, coming in, I was guaranteed to enjoy th ...more
Katie
Dec 02, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
"In November", by Cynthia Rylant, is a short, picture book that describes different aspects of what happens during the month of November. From the birds flying south, to families getting together to share a feast, this book is the epitome of Fall. I really enjoy the illustrations by Jill Kastner and how they capture the mood of this season. Cynthia Rylant does a fantastic job describing what happens in nature during the month of November as well as how families get together and become closer at ...more
Teri
Nov 01, 2011 Teri rated it it was amazing
I loved the text of this book. Thanksgiving is never mentioned by name, but still a wonderful read for November. Beautiful illustrations. A sample of this beautiful text:

"In November, the smell of food is different. It is an orange smell. A squash and pumpkin smell. It tastes like cinnamon and can fill up a house in the morning, can pull everyone from bed in a fog. Food is better in November than any other time of the year. In November people are good to each other. They carry pies to each other
Rachel
I am doing a Preschool Storytime on Autumn and I found this book. I think it is a more winter book than autumn but I will probably use it as a backup book. It tells about all the different things that go on during November. There are no leaves on the trees, animals and insects are hibernating or getting ready to do so. Snow is coming down, people are baking and getting together for Thanksgiving. I loved this line from the text "In November, the smell of food is different. It is an orange smell. ...more
Melody
Jul 13, 2011 Melody rated it liked it
Shelves: aloud
1/13 Huh. I'd forgotten that I didn't much like this book when I was gathering read-aloud books at the library. And interestingly enough, though I still loathed the illustrations, this time Rylant's prose worked for me. I must have been in an especially curmudgeonly mood the first time- or maybe I was going too fast since I wasn't sharing it with anyone. Either way, I retract my earlier review.

7/11 2 stars. I usually adore Rylant's stuff. This is the exception. Part of it is that I loathed the
Rosa Cline
Apr 14, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, fall, thanksgiving
This was a very beautifully written story about Fall; written almost as if it was a poem and they put it in a child's book. The illustrations are watercolors pictures which makes the verses stand out that much more. Talks about the earth getting ready for winter and the animals getting ready as well; then toward the end she talks about a 'special day in November' where people come together to share and give thanks for the food they eat and the babies in their arms. It never says "Thanksgiving' s ...more
Kristina
Jun 26, 2014 Kristina added it
Shelves: science
This book is about the month of November and how things change throughout the month. It discusses the weather, the family gatherings, the animals, the food, and the trees. It discusses how animals sleep more, trees lose their leaves, and food starts to smell different. I think this book can lead to a lot of exploration in nature during the month of November. I think it can teach kids that things change such as weather, animals and trees. It teaches them family values as well with gathering for t ...more
Laurie Brumbaugh
Nov 10, 2016 Laurie Brumbaugh rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I really enjoyed this poetic, contemplative look at the month of November, as nature winds down for the winter and we celebrate the simple joys of Thanksgiving. Cynthia Rylant has such a nice way with words and I also enjoyed the illustrations. Some reviewers did not like the blurry oil paintings, but I like the fuzzy look. It complements the sleepy, dream-like text and evokes the snuggly feeling of the season for me.

As others have mentioned, this might be a difficult read-aloud for a young grou
Cassi Dick
Apr 29, 2013 Cassi Dick rated it it was amazing
"In November" talks about what the season of fall is like, since November falls in that season. It talks about the trees without leaves and how they are preparing for winter, how birds flock south and animals get thicker fur, how humans eat more squash and pumpkins because they are in season,and they holidays that are celebrated around this time. I really like how this book show great illustrations and detail about this one month and it's greatness. I think you should read this to grades k-2 whe ...more
Toree Howe
Nov 11, 2007 Toree Howe rated it it was amazing
•This story describes the month of November through how it feels, smells and tastes.
•I really liked how this book made you feel the month of November. The weather changing, the foods we eat and the holiday we celebrate, gives November its own feel.
•This would be fun to read at the beginning of the month of November to help the children understand seasons and months.
•This book also was a great example of descriptive words for writers.

This book is great for students who are learning the months and
Jaime Davis
Nov 12, 2012 Jaime Davis rated it it was amazing
You just can't beat Cynthia Rylant's beautiful writing - chose this as my readaloud for the first day of November and my students really responded. You could tell from their faces they were really soaking up the beauty of her words accompanied by the wonderful illustrations. A nice break from the Captain Underpants reading they've been leaning towards... She does a great job conveying that "fall feeling" and I'm happy to have found it and made it a part of our classroom library. A great example ...more
Allison Wine
This book does a great job illustrating what the month of November brings. The weather changes, animals go into hibernation, and leaves begin to fall off the trees. November is a month of change, and through this book students will be able to visualize the change that happens. Snow begins to fall and families start to gather for holidays. This a great book to read during the month of November, so students can make connections with what is happening around them.

The illustrations are unbelievable
Ina
Nov 06, 2011 Ina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
Cynthia Rylant does a beautiful job "explaining" November in this book. The text is gentle and rich with description. (For example, "The trees are standing al sticks and bones.") The illustrations are perfectly matched with the text and are soft and gentle as well. We counted the cats "piled up in the corners of barns" (6) and the dogs lying before the fire (2) The foods of November with their "orange small" and all the warmth of Thanksgiving are captured between the pages of this book. A very s ...more
Morgan
This is a book about the month of November. The book talks about the seasonal changes we experience in the month of November and how nature changes too. It goes on to talk about the special holiday season November brings as well. I enjoyed this read aloud. I think it would be a good read aloud for primary grade students, especially when talking about the different months and seasons we have in the year.
Dalila Eckstein
Jun 13, 2014 Dalila Eckstein rated it it was amazing
If you love a book with beautiful language that paints a picture and creates a mood, then you will love In November. Rylant deftly strings together words that make me appreciate what a gifted writer can do. If you are teaching the craft of writing, this book offers exceptional examples of descriptive phrases that are poetic and generate vivid pictures in the mind. Even "In July" it can have you longing for crisp air, the hush of snow, and the "orange smell" of food!
Cortney Perkins
Nov 16, 2015 Cortney Perkins rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. It has wonderful illustrations and tells all about November. Everything from the smells of thanksgiving to the bare trees in the winter. The story is a great read for students to get them thinking about the month of November, some birds fly south, the leaves fall, families come in for the holidays etc. the students can easily relate to this book because we have all experienced the month of November and all the wonderful things it brings.
Erica
This book is great for a lesson unit on fall in any elementary classroom. With wonderful illustrations, children will be able to flip through the pages and see and read about the many aspects of fall and November. It's a beautiful time of year that is captured within the pages of this children's book. It is definitely one to keep in mind for that time of the year to elaborate on what kids are already experiencing outside.
Shannon Brasher
A fantastic realistic fiction book about the month of November. I love how it discussed both nature as well as human activity during the early winter months. The illustrations are so amazing and they look so realistic which I think helps to add to the wintry feel of this book. This would be a fantastic book to read to a class during the first of November to discuss happenings in the winter and Thanksgiving.
Janet
Sep 30, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it
A good and quiet story about the going to sleep month of November. I especially like the easy way the author told about some birds migrate and some don't as well as pointing out that in fall there is no spring chirping by the birds. The illustrations were especially good and remind me of, Denise Fleming,one of my favorite illustrators.

I reread this title today and it has a very good emphasis on Thanksgiving and the coming together of a family. This for me is a timeless title.
Matt
Dec 06, 2015 Matt rated it liked it
This is a realistic fiction book that talks about the things that happen in November. The book talks about things that take place in nature as well as what some humans do during November. The illustrations in this book are very vivid and life-like. This would be a great book to read to your class at the beginning of November, or whenever you are discussing the different seasons.
Ileana Lindner
Oct 16, 2012 Ileana Lindner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Title: In November
Author:Cynthia Rylant
Grade: 1st and 2nd

This beautiful picture book is a great illustrative story on what the colors of fall look like. It is a great science piece of literature for going into detail about seasons. The illustrations are absolutely wonderful and there are many observations students can make from the story.
Lynn Plourde
May 19, 2014 Lynn Plourde rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebook
A gorgeous, succulent book. Who can make November (an often dreary month in New England, along with May) appealing? Rylant and Kastner can! Rylant's lines like "trees are standing like sticks and bones," and November food is "an orange smell," and the sun is a "sometime friend" cause a reader to pause and smile.
Jenna
In November does a great job of painting the picture of fall time and Thanksgiving. The illustration and detailed text allows the reader to feel as if they are in that time of year. I would definitely read this book during November and ask my students about what their Thanksgiving traditions are.
McKinzie Elton
Before reading this book aloud, I would slowly leaf through the book, noticing the illustrations artist Jill Kastner uses to reflect each moment. I would ask my students if they have any favorites, what senses the artist appeals to through the paintings, and what they smell, hear and feel.

From the website: https://sixtraitgurus.wordpress.com/2...
  • First Snow in the Woods: A Photographic Fantasy
  • Who Has These Feet?
  • Twilight Comes Twice
  • Johnny Appleseed
  • Leaf Man
  • Thanksgiving at the Tappletons'
  • Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • Leaf Jumpers
  • The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse
  • This First Thanksgiving Day: A Counting Story
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...

“In November, the trees are standing all sticks and bones. Without their leaves, how lovely they are, spreading their arms like dancers. They know it is time to be still.” 29 likes
“In November, the smell of food is different. It is an orange smell. A squash and pumpkin smell. It tastes like cinnamon and can fill up a house in the morning, can pull everyone from bed in a fog. Food is better in November than any other time of the year.” 20 likes